• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantomex

I played Football Manager once. After 4 hours that seemed like 30 minutes, I realized this game had the power to destroy my life and the world as well.

ShaneB

is there a way to use the steam screenshot feature on origin games?

It depends on what game you're asking about. Most you can just add as a non steam game and voila.

Example, Mass Effect 3 here is my femshep. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=100869102

But for something like Battlefield 3, I can't get it working because battlelog tends to muck it all up.

edit: unless I completely misread what you meant and you want a screenshot feature in Origin.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's so good I'm banning myself from playing it.

74 hours in two weeks. That's Civilization level good. If you have any interest in football you should try it out.

94 hours in one week..

>_>

Stopped playing after that week because it was eating me away as well. Going to start playing again slowly now after the launch though.

I swear to god, every time I have to call my internet provider I wonder how the people working there manage to wake up in the morning and not to fatally wound themselves with a toothbrush. I guess I've learned my lesson: If the internet works as intended, don't upgrade it. There's only so much you can fuck up.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I swear to god, every time I have to call my internet provider I wonder how the people working there manage to wake up in the morning and not to fatally wound themselves with a toothbrush. I guess I've learned my lesson: If the internet works as intended, don't upgrade it. There's only so much you can fuck up.
Oh man, don't remind me. We may have to be changing our internet soon...

Twinduct

Still unlucky enough to have to rely on copper cables (fucking phone lines). Anyway we have three lines from our house. We've been playing hot seat with each one as every time we get a techie out he fixes one and breaks another. Not joking btw, we've had 14 different techies from out telecoms, everytime they either fix one and break one, or fix one and break two.

94 hours in one week..

>_>

Stopped playing after that week because it was eating me away as well. Going to start playing again slowly now after the launch though.

I'm going to get it during winter sale, hopefully my life will be back on track by then.

Right now just Dota 2, Mark of The Ninja and Assassin's Creed Revolution for me.

Dice

It has been like that for a while. do you really want that though when you can greenlight pro wrestling x instead? Did you check it out?
*checks it out*

zK8qn.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Well you guys kept on linking that troll video :/

Oh wait... I read that as FS2013. Farming Simulator. D'oh!

Also lol there are people who still don't have garry's mod?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Well you guys kept on linking that troll video :/

Oh wait... I read that as FS2013. Farming Simulator. D'oh!

Also lol there are people who still don't have garry's mod?

lol@FS2013.
And I dont own Garrys mod yet. Havent found any incentive to do so. *shrug*

Speevy

Banned
Free Steam copy of

dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-1.jpg

to the best entry of the following contest. Contest ends in one hour.

If you were going to design the perfect level/mission for challenging a player without making them quit with frustration, what would this level have in it?

It can be any genre.

For example, you might think of the kinds of things one finds in a challenging game/mission, such as hordes of enemies, booby traps, big bosses, stealth, guard/protect/rescue something, security to deactivate, archers, snipers, demons, dragons platforms, spikes, puzzles, whatever you want.

Remember, you have to find a balance between what's challenging and what's rewarding.

Write at least one paragraph (or more) about this. You have around one hour.

Go.

Toma

Go.

Based on my recent "research" into the topic of difficulty changes I'd go with explaining how I want 3D action games that use some form of adjustment to however difficult you want the mission to be without needing to adjust a slider.

Other games apparently did that from within the difficulty change sliders like Project Dark where you need to tackle more/more difficult objects depending on which difficulty you are on. Other examples include the idea of simply giving optional task, but I rarely find them all that difficult since they are still balanced around almost every player being able to finish the secondary objectives too. There are some exceptions for niche games like Monster Hunter, but I'd like to see that coming back to "AAA" games as well.

Like imagine a FPS (COD whatever, but works with basically almost every game), where your primary task is to get from A-B to defeat some rebels on the frontline. Then on the way, you notice a settlement of rebels in a few buildings which you could technically ignore as this is not your main objective. Now one secondary objective would be to get into this house which might be filled with more enemies than the usual fights (secondary objectives should be harder than the main game), while another secondary objective might ask you to take care that not too much of the building is being destroyed (for whatever reason) or for you not to use only the pistol as you need to keep the ammo for the main fight (or whatever). There are tons of ways this could play out. This way the play could also decide to tackle the more difficult secondary objective, but then decide how difficult they want it to be by how many of the secondary objectives they want to fulfill, leading to less frustration.

Basically, I want more and more intricate secondary objectives that are actually challenging (but ignorable so that it still sellable on the current game market). This would allow players that arent as good in that game to simply skip over it and others could have the challenge they want. I dont get why this isnt applied properly.

Fitting to participate in a Dark Souls giveaway if I want more challenging games, heh.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
That's pretty cool of you, Speevy. Good luck to whoever's participating.

Counter-Strike GO is really fun, but also really buggy. :\

There were some really bad bugs back when it launched, like random (and piercingly loud) noise pops. I think they fixed up the worst of the bunch, although I'm not surprised some shit still lingers. The matchmaking change they made was ultimately what killed the game for me though. No idea what they were thinking. Aside from the lack of hostage maps, I really dug it, too. Shame.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I've loved what I've played of GO thus far. Looking forward to playing it online 10~11 months from now.

Free Steam copy of

If you were going to design the perfect level/mission for challenging a player without making them quit with frustration, what would this level have in it?

It can be any genre.

For example, you might think of the kinds of things one finds in a challenging game/mission, such as hordes of enemies, booby traps, big bosses, stealth, guard/protect/rescue something, security to deactivate, archers, snipers, demons, dragons platforms, spikes, puzzles, whatever you want.

Remember, you have to find a balance between what's challenging and what's rewarding.

Go.

I think the best way is to give positive reinforcement. Rather than you getting stuck with just a game over screen, I would do what Valve did with Team Fortress 2; by showing what you did right. Maybe you killed more monsters than the previous game, maybe you got a few puzzles done in a quicker time.

So rather than discouraging the player, it's probably better to encourage them instead.

Oh man, don't remind me. We may have to be changing our internet soon...

Still unlucky enough to have to rely on copper cables (fucking phone lines). Anyway we have three lines from our house. We've been playing hot seat with each one as every time we get a techie out he fixes one and breaks another. Not joking btw, we've had 14 different techies from out telecoms, everytime they either fix one and break one, or fix one and break two.

This time they they did this:

Before we moved we had been always using 2 modems by the same provider. One for the internet in my bed room (Modem 1) and one in the living room for the phone (Modem 2) which had a working LAN slot as well. I used it from time to time when working on my laptop and before you think that I had been using WLAN all the time, a technician tried it out in July when he came for something else and we made sure to turn off the WLAN receiver on my laptop.

Fast forward to last week when we bought a new TV and tried to hook it up to the "idle" LAN slot on Modem 2 which for some reason didn't work anymore. I phoned them up to ask about it. After the usual 5 minutes of waiting with shitty background sound that'd make elevator music sound like Mozart I got some tech guy and described the issue. With any other company the internet would have been up and running in the next 24 hours and I'd have received so many apologies I'd have felt bad for calling in the first place. Not with this company though. He told me "that it couldn't have worked" (which is bullshit) because we'd need a second service (which costs extra, of course, and bullshit, again). Apparently they hadn't "splitted the service correctly" (which completes the trifecta of bullshit). After about an hour of talking to different people I said fuck it, we're putting LAN cables into our walls anyway and I don't want to talk to these mouthbreathers anymore. Before I hung up, they asked me if I wanted to upgrade from 25Mbit to 100Mbit. For free. If I had known what would happen I would have told him to choke on a dick right there. But I didn't and thought I could get at least something out of being told several silly excuses, so I agreed. Sadly my old modem couldn't support such speeds so they'd send me a newer model, which was supposed to arrive this Monday but didn't. I thought maybe our postal service had fucked up but never had the time to check with them. This morning internet worked flawlessly, I went to uni as usual but when I came back it suddenly didn't work anymore. I tried everything: checking router and cables, restarting Modem 1... didn't work. Then it stuck me: They must have deactivated my modem.

I called them again and they confirmed what I had feared, and more. Apparently, instead of sending me a new modem to replace Modem 1 they had joined the internet and phone services on Modem 2. I didn't ask for this. Of course they were going to fix it but the modem wouldn't be arrive until Wednesday (I told them they could send that guy who fucked up after he finished work. They laughed. I didn't.) In the meantime I was just supposed to move Modem 2 (and the phone) to my bedroom because apparently they couldn't re-activate my old Modem 1. I moved Modem 2 and the phone to my bedroom installed the thing with the same set-up. Of course, Internet still wasn't working and I had to call them a second time to really really join the services on Modem 2. Which still has the old, pre-upgrade 25Mbit connection.

But I'm sure they'll fix it come Wednesday.

Croc

Banned
Free Steam copy of

[Dark Souls]

It can be any genre.

Go.

I'd start out with a game like Mirror's Edge (Or even straight up use the game) and introduce a level that acts similar to BIT.TRIP RUNNER (except you have free control of the player). It would take place on a conveyor belt, the player running the opposite way trying to escape. I would use the music tracks as a way to let the player know how the level works without actually straight-up telling them.

Right from the start, hazards (lasers, saws, etc.) would be timed up with beats in the music. Hopefully knowing that it's about timing would keep a player from getting too frustrated to quit, as they would know it will just take a bit more practice to get it right. It would take place over 3 rooms, each getting a bit harder. The first would just be introducing basic obstacles. The second would be adding combo obstacles with quick transitions. The last and hardest one would speed the process up a bit and be split into 2 sections with a mid safe point from where you can see the exit, so as to give the player a sort of checkmark to let them know they're progressing and to not get discouraged.

The level itself would be a sort of reward because it would be switching up the gameplay in an interesting and (hopefully) fun way. It would be challenging but not too long so it doesn't seem like a chore to get through, but still more like a reward.

Fantomex

Free Steam copy of

It can be any genre.

Go.

I think a new, fun and challenging way of achieving a great gameplay experience is to base a side scrolling game (TMNT, Scott Pilgrim, The Simpsons, Metal Slug) with what I call "Memento" game play. Just like these type of movies that start at the end and then end the movie with what actually happened at the beginning. I'll take the military Contra esque genre for example. I would start the level with the guns already leveled up, the armor already at it's highest and the vehicles already in the players possession right at the beginning (if available)! After a bit of a learning curve you go directly to the end boss! This would totally circumvent the "save your ammo, save lives" theory we always have to deal with when fighting the boss at the end of the level. It would be fun to fight the boss at the beginning and being overpowered. Perhaps you get right through him or perhaps the Bosses pattern was hard to figure out and you were too reckless with your weapons and defense. Where the game would find balance is that you would deal with mini bosses and plain ol' regular enemies afterwards to get to the end of the level. Did you ration enough ammo? lives? power ups? If you didn't, this would absolutely give you a white knuckle challenge trying to make it to the end. Just knowing that if you get too cocky these weak enemies could kill you.! Imagine playing double dragon and letting one of those early thugs land a weak hit on you and meaning game over because you were almost out of life when you got hit? Health power ups would pop up less often as you get closer to the end of the level. It would be awesome!!! You would be treating these weak enemies as bosses. And what if you did save lives, power ups and ammo? Then you would be fighting your own ego, I know I tend to get cocky and then regret it later. That's my idea for awesome level/mission.

Salsa

cargo1uidsr.jpg

Giveaway time. I think Cargo Commander is cool and I want to encourage more attention to it. It's $8 on sale now. I'm not affiliated with the game or its devs at all, but I tried it last night and I want to get the game more attention, so maybe other people can tell their friends about it or whatnot.

So, I'm giving away copies to the first 10 people who meet my demanding terms.

Here's the deal. With such an enormous investment of 10 whole sale-priced games, I have special requirements. To receive a free copy of the game:

1. You must understand what the game is. As far as I can tell from reading and playing so far, it's a sort-of roguelike in space. Spelunky meets FTL meets Mario Galaxy, to give a very rough idea. You are a dude alone in space, and you are trying to go through progressive sequences of "containers" to salvage an increasing variety of junk, with increasingly dangerous obstacles. You have upgrades, you can lose some/all of them on death, you increase ranks to unlock more stuff, you can randomly generate sectors by making up a name and sharing it with friends, and you can compete in online leaderboards for high scores. It has mouse/keyboard controls (be warned, maybe no controller support), it has Steam achievements, and it has Steamplay (Mac + Windows). It doesn't seem super hardcore, but it has a nice atmosphere and can suck you in for an hour or two at a time. It's only a 120MB download or so.

2. You must want to play the game. You can see a video (not sure if there are spoilers, skip around a little to see gameplay, and/or look at the Steam store page) here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYEZ-rV1SmQ

3. You must actually play the game and share an impression in the official thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497992).
Specifically, rather than having a bunch of replies, just send me a PM with the phrase "I promise to play this game for at least half an hour and post an impression in the OT". Also include your Steam name so I can send the game to you.

Hopefully some of you will enjoy it. :)

*edit* I have 10, sorry to anyone who missed out!

very cool of you mang, game actually looks really interestin, thanks for putting it on my radar

Dice

It would be like a mix between Devil May Cry and a really condensed Metroid/Mega Man.

Like say the overall layout is a snowflake pattern, a core area that has puzzle elements to figure out in order to unlock potential within it, but to do so you need to gain abilities from 7 adjacent areas branching out. At the start you can access 2, then after one of those you can access another two, then after you have completed 3 the last 3 open up. However, while access is made possible by the powers you acquire, it may be made easier if you go in a certain order.

Each section would have a miniboss with a weakness that something from another room could help with, and getting through each room could be more or less difficult depending on which you took first. Like say one of the second set of levels that opens up requires jumping from pillar to pillar. One of the first two sections could have gotten you jump boots to give you the reach and that would be good enough, but the second level got you claw gloves that let you catch yourself and pull yourself up if you slipped a landing.

However, this concept would scale a few levels deep. Like not just with the minibosses, but say each section had enemies that required different things to make them easier as well. Then each section would have a helpful bonus upgrade, but it would be harder to get. Like in the room of pillars you could go across, or you could try to find your way through pillars that would go upward, and that would be nearly impossible unless you had the claws plus a weapon from another area to handle enemies that are only up there.

Getting things in the right order won't make things a breeze, but would make it manageable. In this respect it might be more like God Hand than Devil May Cry, but I think the diversity of DMC gives a better idea of the feel I'm thinking. You wouldn't die and have to start over, but you would be returned to the center area. Because so many abilities would make things easier, yet not be required, it may not be obvious what is lacking so that you'd look for it, and nothing would specifically tell you it was needed.

So here we have a challenge of not only navigating your way through each area, but dealing with the enemies, and each area has a second layer of both. You could really be hitting your head against a wall if you take things in the wrong pattern, so if you die a lot you'll be encouraged to analyze the dynamics of things and consider exploring other paths, or possibly to get further in paths you have taken before. Maybe some of the bonus items would be what really helps on some minibosses.

Then of course you have the last area which would be a real puzzle using the main abilities from all sections, and a final boss, which will be set up to make use of your abilities at a high level of proficiency, so hopefully you learned their uses well along the way. Then as a final layer, this would all be timed and scored (ala DMC), and perhaps there could be 7 different forms of the final boss which only show up depending on how many of each of the subsections you got a top ranking on, requiring you to try it again and figure out more efficient paths and winning patterns even after you've beaten it all before.

Obviously you could build a whole game out of that, possibly similar to Hexen, or it could be condensed to a rather large level. Either way I think those are the best sorts of challenges, where thought and mastery of skill is required and can win you the way, but a little more thought and good use of opportunity can open up a whole new perspective on how to handle it all. When that is the case, even if you're losing in several different ways, you also have hope in several different ways, so you keep at it and it's very rewarding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom