• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remember kids, GMG has it for cheap.

Looks like it's cheaper on Steam for us Euros :O Would love to see more Grasshopper games (specially Lollipop Chainsaw) on Steam, hopefully this one sells well.

Also, I know I'm very LTTP... But holy shit, Killing Floor is great. Thanks again to Xelios for gifting it to me :)

ShaneB

Bro fist, I've always thought they were stupid, go outside and throw the football damn.

So instead of us playing Chivalry, are you going to set up the GAF LARP meetup?? :p

I'm just kidding, but just that it's much easier for one person to play an online game of madden with friends instead of trying to coordinate a full game of football.

I miss more arcadey style of sports games as well, something like a new Blades of Steel would be awesome.

Semblance

shhh Graham I'm still compiling this Radiant map
Looks like it's cheaper on Steam for us Euros :O Would love to see more Grasshopper games (specially Lollipop Chainsaw) on Steam, hopefully this one sells well.

Not a real Grasshopper game. They only did the soundtrack and some art design, I believe.

So instead of us playing Chivalry, are you going to set up the GAF LARP meetup?? :p

I miss more arcadey style of sports games as well, something like a new Blades of Steel would be awesome.

O god no, please, kill it with fire haha.

Thinking back on my gaming history, LITERALLY the only sports game I ever played and loved was the original NBA Jam with my next door neighbor, and my god it was fun. I had a really active outdoorsy and wild childhood so that might be why I didn't like sports games, but it's probably just a personal thing. I also don't really like car racing games.

Tess3ract

Banned
Join the army.

Learn guitar.

Learn to fight with real swords.

Drive on a real racetrack.

You see what's going on here?
Most of the things in video games are unrealistic. Playing sports is not.

Also wrestling sucks and might as well be soap operas for poor white guys.

Now UFC, I'd play a UFC PC game. Nothing more bad ass than jumping up and punching a dude in the face with a downward cross!

Yeah, I played a lot of sports as a kid also and that's probably why I never got into the video games other than the unrealistic ones. Although I did like a couple of the first NBA Live games on SNES.

I wish that recent NBA Jam game would get ported to PC and put on Steam. I played it on the Wii and didn't think it was bad at all. But the single-player difficulty was pretty high.

ShaneB

O god no, please, kill it with fire haha.

Thinking back on my gaming history, LITERALLY the only sports game I ever played and loved was the original NBA Jam with my next door neighbor, and my god it was fun. I had a really active outdoorsy and wild childhood so that might be why I didn't like sports games, but it's probably just a personal thing. I also don't really like car racing games.

Different tastes for everyone, I grew up being active and outdoorsy and played just about every single sport I could, but I also loved sports games too. I'd play a game of NHL 94 before going off to play real hockey. :p

Different tastes for everyone, I grew up being active and outdoorsy and played just about every single sport I could, but I also loved sports games too. I'd play a game of NHL 94 before going off to play real hockey. :p

It was awkward as hell back then because all my older cousins loved and played nothing but sports games, so we'd go to blockbuster and they wouldn't let me rent the action adventures with pictures of girls and huge swords on the front :(.

San Francisco Rush was the only car game I ever loved.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Yeah, I played a lot of sports as a kid also and that's probably why I never got into the video games other than the unrealistic ones. Although I did like a couple of the first NBA Live games on SNES.

I wish that recent NBA Jam game would get ported to PC and put on Steam. I played it on the Wii and didn't think it was bad at all. But the single-player difficulty was pretty high.
Yeah, that game is worth $15 for the commentary alone. NFL Blitz had a PC port too.

XAL

When are they going to post a steam version of Assassin's Creed 3?....

.____.

Or is the Amazon Digital Deluxe Edition redeemable on Steam?

Caerith

Most of the things in video games are unrealistic. Playing sports is not.

Also wrestling sucks and might as well be soap operas for poor white guys.

Now UFC, I'd play a UFC PC game. Nothing more bad ass than jumping up and punching a dude in the face with a downward cross!
So... what's your advice to anyone with a disability who enjoys sports games?

Edit: beaten

I can't warp around and be every person on my team in real life! So there!

Actually I don't care about sports or sports games. I just need NES Hockey.

They don't really count in terms of this argument.

They don't have that option, so playing the game is the only way they can vicariously play the game.

Besides the fact that argument is horribly flawed the second you compare it to...well...any other game that simulates any potential real world situation. [GTA IV anyone?] These games are popular because, like CoD, they're fun [well, duh]. They don't replicate [nor really attempt to, despite the marketing] the experience of playing the sport, much in the same way CoD doesn't really attempt to replicate the military experience.

They're simply a mismatch of a number of mechanics that appeal to a range of people due to the sport they replicate visually. Fifa, for example, contains RPG elements [every player has about 20 different stats, special bonuses based on position, various formations and so much more], fast paced gameplay that replicates the professional sport to a degree that is fun, but no further.
In many ways it's more akin to a MOBA-game. You attempt to manipulate the enemy AI and player(s) into positions that benefit you and attack. It's merely presented in a way the majority are familiar and already invested in - professional football [or...sigh...Soccer].

Merely stating these games are played as a substitute for partaking in the sport is incredibly ignorant [because mechanically they're so much more than that] - they're extremely fun games in of themselves with enough depth to sustain large, hardcore communities on multiple platforms. They're popular because they don't attempt to tediously replicate the sport.

They don't really count in terms of this argument.

They don't have that option, so playing the game is the only way they can vicariously play the game.

So anyone who wants to play Ice Hockey in the middle of summer in Australia is right to play sports games?

Any elderly person that wants to play any sport can play sports games?

Anyone in a country where American football isn't popular is allowed to play Madden?

Doesn't really matter but widely general statements about everyone that wants to play sports leaving the house without knowing their circumstances seems a bit off. To each their own I guess.

Tess3ract

Banned
Besides the facts the argument is horribly flawed the second you compare it to...well...any other game that simulates any potential real world situation. [GTA IV anyone?] These games are popular because, like CoD, they're fun [well, duh]. They don't replicate [nor really attempt to, despite the marketing] the experience of playing the sport, much in the same way CoD doesn't really attempt to replicate the military experience.

They're simply a number of mechanics that appeal to a range of people due to the sport they replicate. Fifa, for example, contains RPG elements [every player has about 20 different stats, special bonuses based on position, various formations and so much more], fast paced gameplay that replicates the professional sport to a degree that is fun, but no further.
In many ways it's more akin to a MOBA-game. You attempt to manipulate the enemy AI and player(s) into positions that benefit you and attack. It's merely presented in a way the majority are familiar and already invested in - professional football [or...sigh...Soccer].

Merely stating these games are played as a substitute for partaking in the sport is incredibly ignorant [because mechanically they're so much more than that] - they're extremely fun games in of themselves with enough depth to sustain large, hardcore communities on multiple platforms. They're popular because they don't attempt to tediously replicate the sport.
Okay I'll concede to your point.

However for me, saying its like a moba game just turns me off even further and reinforces my opinion of dislike.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Join the army.

Learn guitar.

I want to be a Metroid. Can I be a Metroid? With the robot suit and arm cannon and his spaceship and everything, that guy is so tough!

Join the army.

Learn guitar.

Or turn a small patch of land to a world wide empire over some centuries.

Bro fist, I've always thought they were stupid, go outside and throw the football damn.

I like playing football, soccer for some. But my weekly match is canceled because of rain, so I'll use my high tech computer to simulate those events, with a small change. I'll be played by Shevchenko at this simulation.

Blizzard

Banned
I want to be a Metroid. Can I be a Metroid? With the robot suit and arm cannon and his spaceship and everything, that guy is so tough!
Same with me, whenever I want to be a Zelda I just put on the green pointy cap and go outside to cut down bushes with a sword.

ShaneB

Does The Last Remnant run very well on PC? Anyone have any experience with it?

I haven't played it, but did buy it cheap on the basis that everyone says it runs fantastic and is far and away the version to play. edit: There is a demo you can check out as well.

Tess3ract

Banned
My friend loves it though and dropped 60 hours even though he's working on his phd so...

I'm just not big on mp anything unless I'm playing with friends.

Lately I can't be assed to play anything unless It's playing with someone else.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Same with me, whenever I want to be a Zelda I just put on the green pointy cap and go outside to cut down bushes with a sword.
You know who I don't like? Mr. Life. That guy is always so silent, it's like he didn't like talking to people. Maybe he's antisocial? His power suit is kinda cool though, and the crowbar is funny. And he's also smart, he graduated from the MIT.

Really? Damn that's rough.

For him maybe.... the game is amazing. Read the OT here for lavishing praise and impressions, and lots of help learning how to play.

Easily worth the four pack price and some people have left over copies from preorder they are selling for $10, at which price the game is a massive steal.

It even has direct input ala source games, looks phenomenal and has really deep gameplay backed up brilliantly by the rts component.

Like playing a marine in starcraft in first person working for the guy pulling the strings, in environments pulled directly out of Alien, really fun.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
so ehm, is GMG declared 'safe' at some point? I thought those key-only type dealers where frowned upon here (and by Valve)?

GMG has always been legit, their deals aren't outrageously so where you just know they're using russian keys of questionable origin. Feel free to use them without worrying about that sort of stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom