• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caerith

Is it weird that I feel guilty about partaking of free games like Super Crate Box and Faerie Solitaire? I mean, it's not like they're paying for bandwidth, Valve is, but still.
You villain! Poor Valve will soon go out of business, bankrupted by the high cost of bandwidth for free games!

But nah, developers do this for a reason.

ArjanN

Sine Mora coming November 9th.

Kalypso Digital Bringing Top-rated Shooter - “Sine Mora” - to PC this November

Leicester, UK, 1st November, 2012

Kalypso Media Digital is pleased to announce they will be bringing the highly rated console shooter, Sine Mora, to Windows PC. Sine Mora, the much lauded side scrolling shooter that won rave reviews for its earlier console release, will be available on Steam and other digital portals on 9th November. The Windows PC version of Sine Mora features stunning 1080p visuals and frantic 60FPS “bullet hell” gameplay combined with a unique time-bending elements.

Sine Mora is a horizontal shoot'em up (shmup) that provides a unique take on the genre as now time is the ultimate factor. Mixing classic shooter sensibilities with contemporary HD presentation, Sine Mora is a gorgeous shooter that offers a Story Mode that weaves an over-the-top tale and an Arcade Mode that provides deep, satisfying gameplay to challenge fans of the genre. With many ways to manipulate time, Sine Mora features over 50 weapon combinations to complete each beautiful stage that adapts to the player's skills with scaling difficulty.

Screens here:

Kalypso forum

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sine Mora coming November 9th.

Screens here:

Kalypso forum

I personally don't have any interest, but I'm glad it's happening. As PS3/360 get nearer to end of life, any PC port is good for posterity's sake--who knows if future consoles will be BC, and emulation of PS3/360 is a long time off... so a PC port might be the only way to preserve a lot of those games.

What slow down issue? I'm talking about the actual game. It's a perfect representative of modern video games. Extremely linear and uses only a couple buttons, dynasty warriors is a deeper game than that.
From a quick search:

http://www.spacemarine.com/node/8403
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2140505
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2845181
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2102134

I remember a Gaffer was really pissed off about it, basically saying it was unplayable for them. I thought it may have been you, lol.

For me with Space Marine, it's fun to just be a badass and chop orcs to pieces. If I want something more complex or something that requires more brain power, I'll play Dawn of War or Blood Bowl.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
What slow down issue? I'm talking about the actual game. It's a perfect representative of modern video games. Extremely linear and uses only a couple buttons, dynasty warriors is a deeper game than that.
No, the AI isn't completely brain dead in Space Marine like Dynasty Warriors. It's actually pretty challenging, and it's fun alternating between melee and ranged combat. The multiplayer is also well done. The fact that it's linear doesn't necessarily mean that it's not worth playing.

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
So how is the new Painkiller xelios?

I'll have to get back to you on that one. Too much to play this month; need to finish XCOM, Darksiders 2, Sleeping Dogs & Mark of the Ninja. Usually when I'm done with something I write up a small summary on Steam anyway. Been finishing a lot more games in succession lately than I used to *knocks on wood*. October was a productive month.

cicero

From Tony on CAG: The next weekly Amazon deal will be LEGO Batman 2: DC Super Heroes, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7 for $13.99. ALL of their main pages specifically list Steam Activation as a requirement. The weekly deal the weekend after the upcoming LEGO deal will be Prototype 1 + 2 + Radnet DLC for $12.49. Prototype 1 is NOT Steam Activated.

I don't remember these LEGO games ever being cheaper than this on Steam.

A follow up to this today from Tony:

Tony on CAG said:
So just confirmed, we'll have all 4 games for 75% off alongside the bundle as well (so the 3 games in the bundle and Lego Batman 1, in addition to the bundle being on sale).

Cheers,
Tony
So they will also have the first Lego Batman at 75% off too, but not in that bundle, just alongside of it in the sale. The first LEGO Batman requires Steam for activation too.

cicero

Probably should put these in the Amazon thread.

I would, but that thread was locked days ago, and no one has stepped up to make a new one. Besides, it seems to me that many people in this thread looking for deals on Steam haven't known or remembered to check the Amazon thread to keep up on deals that were Steam related. I always love an extra heads up on great deals and just thought I would share it here.

Fantomex

Since I'm just one month into this PC business guys, i thought I'd ask. Any way to get my steam window to always show grid view? My so called Steam "vet" friends say they don't know.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I would, but that thread was locked days ago, and no one has stepped up to make a new one. Besides, it seems to me that many people in this thread looking for deals on Steam haven't known or remembered to check the Amazon thread to keep up on deals that were Steam related. I always love an extra heads up on great deals and just thought I would share it here.

Oh, I thought we had another one put together already. Carry on then. We do need another Amazon deals thread as they offer many good ones.

jediyoshi

Since I'm just one month into this PC business guys, i thought I'd ask. Any way to get my steam window to always show grid view? My so called Steam "vet" friends say they don't know.

What are you doing in that it switches to the other views? It should just stick in the view you had it on last. Unless you mean wanting the library displaying whenever you bring the steam window up, in which case Settings -> Interface -> Favorite window -> library

Upper right in your library tab. You should see View. It should be the last one on there.

dot

So i played CSGO for a bit and i now have a huge headache. :(

Is there any way to change the fov? It doesn't seem to have the option...

Fantomex

What are you doing in that it switches to the other views? It should just stick in the view you had it on last. Unless you mean wanting the library displaying whenever you bring the steam window up, in which case Settings -> Interface -> Favorite window -> library

Upper right in your library tab. You should see View. It should be the last one on there.

Thanks guys, I guess my problem is that when I open steam it's always at the default list view in my library instead of grid view which I prefer.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
There should be an option in the advanced video settings

This. It is only changable between "Desktop" and "Television" settings I believe, TV sets the FOV to something like 75 while Desktop sets it to 90+. I don't know if you can adjust further with console commands as Valve has been getting weird about restricting stuff like that.

Thanks guys, I guess my problem is that when I open steam it's always at the default list view in my library instead of grid view which I prefer.

Still sucks that it doesn't save what view you want when you close Steam :(

I think alot of people prefer grid view due to custom images.

Croc

Banned
Okay I'm getting really annoyed with Steam lately. Messages to me no longer pop open on their own. The only way I know I have a message is when I see the preview pop up in the corner. If I miss the person's name then I have to manually go through every person and double click on their name and bring up the chat window to see if it was them that messaged me. I'm also getting other phantom notifications as well. I have 2 right now but no notifications and no messages (that I could find) from anyone.

Anyone know what the problem might be?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I feel stupid for having to use a guide on Costume Quest in order to find the last piece of the one costume I was missing. But I wasn't even near of looking at the right place, so I wouldn't have found it otherwise.
Still, I hate it when I need to resort to a walkthrough/FAQ/guide.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
Tomb Raider seems to be this weekend's Steam deal:

Tomb Raider: Anniversary - $2.49
Tomb Raider: Legend - $2.49
Tomb Raider: Underworld - $4.99

Legend was a really good game but I didn't play much of the others beyond the first few levels. Wondering if I should get Legends and play through it again...

I have darksiders 2 but I haven't even beaten the first one yet....

I beat tiamat, how much longer do I have?

Hmm... I'd say you're about half-way done. Still got like maybe 8-10 hours left.

Also, Dungeon Defenders is a damn good game, especially in co-op. For those who have the game, feel free to add me! Could always play with some GAF'ers.

Caerith

I feel stupid for having to use a guide on Costume Quest in order to find the last piece of the one costume I was missing. But I wasn't even near of looking at the right place, so I wouldn't have found it otherwise.
Still, I hate it when I need to resort to a walkthrough/FAQ/guide.
I'll give DoubleFine props for not designing the game to need a guide, though. I 100%'d the game without a guide, though I admit some of the secrets had me wandering around a bit (like the areas behind waterfalls).

Contrast: Final Fantasy XIII-2 -- in my playthrough, I'm currently collecting things that you can only obtain by throwing mog at very specific places, with absolutely no hints, clues, or cues about where those places are, or even that those places exist.

Striek

Not sure if this is the best place for it but figure I may as well ask it here.

I want to install Civilisation IV which has been sitting on my steam list forever. Of the base game and its 3 expansion packs, what do I need to install? Will I miss anything by not installing them all?

And is there anyway to get rid of the MAC versions from my steam list :)

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Dat Lego deal. Why didn't I save money... whyyyyyyyyyyyyyy??

..oh well *plays baldur's gate*

Blizzard

Banned
cargo1uidsr.jpg

Giveaway time. I think Cargo Commander is cool and I want to encourage more attention to it. It's $8 on sale now. I'm not affiliated with the game or its devs at all, but I tried it last night and I want to get the game more attention, so maybe other people can tell their friends about it or whatnot.

So, I'm giving away copies to the first 10 people who meet my demanding terms.

Here's the deal. With such an enormous investment of 10 whole sale-priced games, I have special requirements. To receive a free copy of the game:

1. You must understand what the game is. As far as I can tell from reading and playing so far, it's a sort-of roguelike in space. Spelunky meets FTL meets Mario Galaxy, to give a very rough idea. You are a dude alone in space, and you are trying to go through progressive sequences of "containers" to salvage an increasing variety of junk, with increasingly dangerous obstacles. You have upgrades, you can lose some/all of them on death, you increase ranks to unlock more stuff, you can randomly generate sectors by making up a name and sharing it with friends, and you can compete in online leaderboards for high scores. It has mouse/keyboard controls (be warned, maybe no controller support), it has Steam achievements, and it has Steamplay (Mac + Windows). It doesn't seem super hardcore, but it has a nice atmosphere and can suck you in for an hour or two at a time. It's only a 120MB download or so.

2. You must want to play the game. You can see a video (not sure if there are spoilers, skip around a little to see gameplay, and/or look at the Steam store page) here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYEZ-rV1SmQ

3. You must actually play the game and share an impression in the official thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497992).
Specifically, rather than having a bunch of replies, just send me a PM with the phrase "I promise to play this game for at least half an hour and post an impression in the OT". Also include your Steam name so I can send the game to you.

Hopefully some of you will enjoy it. :)

*edit* I have 10, sorry to anyone who missed out!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
cargo1uidsr.jpg

Giveaway time.

Yay!

2. You must want to play the game. You can see a video (not sure if there are spoilers, skip around a little to see gameplay, and/or look at the Steam store page) here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYEZ-rV1SmQ

3. You must actually play the game and share an impression in the official thread (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497992).
Specifically, rather than having a bunch of replies, just send me a PM with the phrase "I promise to play this game for at least half an hour and post an impression in the OT". Also include your Steam name so I can send the game to you.

Aww. :(

cargo1uidsr.jpg

Giveaway time. I think Cargo Commander is cool and I want to encourage more attention to it. It's $8 on sale now. I'm not affiliated with the game or its devs at all, but I tried it last night and I want to get the game more attention, so maybe other people can tell their friends about it or whatnot.

So, I'm giving away copies to the first 10 people who meet my demanding terms.

Here's the deal. With such an enormous investment of 10 whole sale-priced games, I have special requirements. To receive a free copy of the game:

1. You must understand what the game is. As far as I can tell from reading and playing so far, it's a sort-of roguelike in space. Spelunky meets FTL meets Mario Galaxy, to give a very rough idea. You are a dude alone in space, and you are trying to go through progressive sequences of "containers" to salvage an increasing variety of junk, with increasingly dangerous obstacles. You have upgrades, you can lose some/all of them on death, you increase ranks to unlock more stuff, you can randomly generate sectors by making up a name and sharing it with friends, and you can compete in online leaderboards for high scores. It has mouse/keyboard controls (be warned, maybe no controller support), it has Steam achievements, and it has Steamplay (Mac + Windows). It doesn't seem super hardcore, but it has a nice atmosphere and can suck you in for an hour or two at a time. It's only a 120MB download or so.

Me please!

Edit: OMG I watched the video and I liked, I really want to try it, I love this kind of games!

Edit2: Thank you Blizzard!

Blizzard

Banned
No more PMs about the game, please! Here are the 10 winners who followed the rules or close enough to pass (boo to everyone who didn't include the phrase or their Steam name, come on people :p):

YianGaruga
Heart Attack
earvcunanan
eyeless
kami_sama
HadesGigas
snack
Striek
Leon Belmont
M*A*S*H

Since I'm a nice guy I will also get the game for two bonus late entries since they took the trouble to follow the rules:

Castor Krieg
Gibbon

Sorry to anyone who missed out! Since it's super late here, it will probably be some time Friday or Saturday before I get all of the gifts out. Just don't panic, and you should see it show up soon enough. :)

No more PMs about the game, please! Here are the 10 winners who followed the rules or close enough to pass (boo to everyone who didn't include the phrase or their Steam name, come on people :p):

YianGaruga
Heart Attack
earvcunanan
Twinduct
eyeless

kami_sama
HadesGigas
snack
Striek
Leon Belmont

Since I'm a nice guy I will also get the game for three bonus late entries since they took the trouble to follow the rules:

M*A*S*H
Castor Krieg
Gibbon

Sorry to anyone who missed out! Since it's super late here, it will probably be some time Friday or Saturday before I get all of the gifts out. Just don't panic, and you should see it show up soon enough. :)

Thank you Blizz!

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey

YianGaruga
Heart Attack
earvcunanan
Twinduct
eyeless

kami_sama
HadesGigas
snack
Striek
Leon Belmont

Since I'm a nice guy I will also get the game for three bonus late entries since they took the trouble to follow the rules:

M*A*S*H
Castor Krieg
Gibbon

Hah, goddamn I knew I forgot something. This is what happens when I binge write and alt tab to browse GAF at 6AM. Congrats to our winners! I will be keeping my eye out for the game in the future Blizz, I had no idea it was even a thing until your contest.

That's pretty cool of you to do, Blizzard. A small, unknown indie game like that could really use the support. Hopefully everyone likes it. I'll be buying it myself real soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom