• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blizzard

Banned
The Livejournal remark was a reference to the style in which devs post/blog about their Steam rejection.
Judging from some of the GAF posters who have made games that have been rejected by Steam (I think Oil Blue and Gunman Clive were two such games), the issue to developers is more the near complete silence from Valve than the rejection itself.

Say Valve sent you an email saying "Hey, our person assigned to check your game out thought it was terrible. It was buggy, crashed, and the graphics look like they were created by a child in MS Paint. It doesn't deserve to be on our high-quality store." I think that the developers would be happier to hear that since they at least would know that Valve reviewed it, and have some idea as to why.

Similarly, if users reject games on Greenlight, at least maybe there will be some way for them to post comments as to why. Granted, it's the internet, so presumably 85% of the comments will be ASCII art penises and racial slurs, but at least it's some feedback.

Judging from some of the GAF posters who have made games that have been rejected by Steam (I think Oil Blue and Gunman Clive were two such games), the issue to developers is more the near complete silence from Valve than the rejection itself.

Say Valve sent you an email saying "Hey, our person assigned to check your game out thought it was terrible. It was buggy, crashed, and the graphics look like they were created by a child in MS Paint. It doesn't deserve to be on our high-quality store." I think that the developers would be happier to hear that since they at least would know that Valve reviewed it, and have some idea as to why.

Similarly, if users reject games on Greenlight, at least maybe there will be some way for them to post comments as to why. Granted, it's the internet, so presumably 85% of the comments will be ASCII art penises and racial slurs, but at least it's some feedback.

The amount of penises can represent how liked the games are.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
What game is the 3.629 * 10^6 kilogram elephant in the room? Minecraft wasn't rejected, so I'm assuming it's something else...?

That's what I meant, Minecraft. Like I said, not rejected by Valve, just doesn't need Steam. But what I meant is that after Greenlight, Minecraft is probably the only significant indie game not going to be on Steam.

1-D_FTW

Haven't been paying attention. So is Darksiders II getting a patch, or is that just rumor?

It's left a very positive initial impression on me. And the 660ti tears it up in 1080P 3D. But even though Nvidia released an official 305.68 driver for the 660ti, it doesn't have any 3D Vision profile. And I not sure there's much that can be done until Vigil releases a patch with more options/config (the shadows are a major issue at the moment).

I'm thinking I should just let it sit and see if these things can't be sorted out before playing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Gee thanks for explaining that to me, I never could have come to that conclusion myself while still finding a certain amount of amusement in the "pity me" tone in which they post it.

Hellix

Just saw this in Steam registry: 16254 Borderlands 2 Early Access 2012-08-22 23:15:58

Could it be you can play the game a week earlier if you pre-ordered on Steam?

barnone

Can anyone tell me why Civ 5, Kane and Lynch, and Payday are downloading on my Steam account even though I have bought none?

Free weekend for all 3?

Uriah

So Steam has really been buggy for me lately and I want to re-install. Is there a way to do so without having to re-download all my games?

Sarcasm

If I get a new hard drive (I have steam on a second partition on my main hdd) and going to use other for OS (while deleteing the first partition on current HD) how will I keep my games and steam fine? I really don't want to download 600gb again...

Just saw this in Steam registry: 16254 Borderlands 2 Early Access 2012-08-22 23:15:58

Probably early access to a demo, similar to the Duke Nukem Early access code you got for buying Borderlands GOTY.
Edit: Ooh, just saw "KOTR2" in the registry.

Nice, just in time for the release of the restoration mod.

We can finally enjoy best KOTOR again.

(unless we're assuming things and you're talking about Kingdoms of the Realm 2)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So Steam has really been buggy for me lately and I want to re-install. Is there a way to do so without having to re-download all my games?
Just delete clientregistry.blob. That always fixes any issues I'm having.

If this doesn't work, move your steamapps folder elsewhere (root of the drive, for example), reinstall Steam, and move it back.

Nabs

A bunch of games get an early access sub. It could be for Press.

Can anyone tell me why Civ 5, Kane and Lynch, and Payday are downloading on my Steam account even though I have bought none?

Free weekend for all 3?

I'll admit, every time K&L is on sale I struggle hard not to buy it. It's supposed to be awful but it's also one of the few games with local co-op. :(

DOA

I'll admit, every time K&L is on sale I struggle hard not to buy it. It's supposed to be awful but it's also one of the few games with local co-op. :(

i've played both games of K&L and didn't find it awful. actually the games are very entertaining.

derFeef

K&L 1 is really cool but has controll issues.
K&L 2 is bombast action with great style but is really short.
I like those games.

ngt

Buy them when you got a chance. I played both and they were very enjoyable. I really hope they will make K&L3.

Kane and Lynch are two awesome main characters, I still remember a mission in a bank from K&L1.
The 'old amateur VHS tape' style of the K&L2 is truly unique.

K&L 1 is really cool but has controll issues.
K&L 2 is bombast action with great style but is really short.
I like those games.

Buy them when you got a chance. I played both and they were very enjoyable. I really hope they will make K&L3.

Kane and Lynch are two awesome main characters, I still remember a mission in a bank from K&L1.
The 'old amateur VHS tape' style of the K&L2 is truly unique.

Damn you guys.

It looks like K&L2 has no couch co-op though. Bummer.

Edit: Unrelated but this made me laugh

GGfv7.png

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Too bad I already bought SPOYCE MUHREENS for 7,50 before the Steam sale (and didn't even install it yet).

Everything else is passable.

Maybe Dawn of War, but not for me.

Kane and Lynch 2 is pretty great if you can get it for around a fiver. It's not crazy awesome or anything but the video compression effects are cool and it doesn't overstay it's welcome.

kswiston

Now that people are actually talking about K&L, maybe I will ask this again:

I am having some graphical issues with Kane and Lynch 2 on Steam. The first chapter worked fine with no hiccups. However, when chapter 2 starts, I am greeted with a black screen during the chapters' opening cutscene. Characters are talking in the background but there is no video. When the game actually starts back up (a chase level from the sound of it), all I can see is a foggy blue sky and my aiming cursor. No character models, backgrounds or other objects are viable. I know that the game is still running since I can hear that I am being shot.

I played around with some of the graphical settings with little luck. I am running Win7 64bit on a Phenom II X4 945, with a GTX 560.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom