• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

1-D_FTW

Holy Cow. I've been saving Just Cause 2 till I could play it in 3D without compromise. My goodness gracious. What a monument to all that's glorious about gaming. That island!

Valve and pretty much every dev/pub that puts old ass games on Steam do virtually nothing to verify or ensure that they work on modern machines whereas GoG does. They even provide comprehensive modding guides to fix these games or add modern resolution/ui support. I'll laugh if all of those old games on Steam have compatibility issues with modern machines but hey, at least they'll be on Steam, cos that's what truly matters.

jediyoshi

Valve and pretty much every dev/pub that puts old ass games on Steam do virtually nothing to verify or ensure that they work on modern machines whereas GoG does. They even provide comprehensive modding guides to fix these games or add modern resolution/ui support. I'll laugh if all of those old games on Steam have compatibility issues with modern machines but hey, at least they'll be on Steam, cos that's what truly matters.

Isn't that what GoG does? I always thought that was the point, doesn't really create a comparison when they don't aim to accomplish similar tasks or deal with the same amount of resources.

zkylon

zkylewd
205180 Planescape Torment
205181 PlaneScape_Content
206940 Icewind Dale
206941 IcewindContent
206950 Icewind Dale 2
206951 IcewindDale2Content
206960 temple of elemental evil
206961 ToEEContent
206970 Baldurs Gate 2
206971 BaldursGate2

Juh?
GAME CHANGER

I'll never betray you GOG, tho. The extra stuff is almost always worth the non-Steam version.

Salsa

im with you, except im hopeful

Salsa

TAJTv.png

well that's bigger than I thought

must be the supposedly great texture work

Sober

This doesn't even make sense. I hope this is a mistake or something. According to their own pricing God and Kings alone should be $7.50.
Hey, if they don't want my 7.50$ for Gods and Kings I'm fine with that. Got plenty of other games to get around to.

Now that I've seen it at that price I refuse to pay more for it on a sale. You would've figured if it did so well at that price they should stick with it and provide some more keys.

Caerith

Hey, if they don't want my 7.50$ for Gods and Kings I'm fine with that. Got plenty of other games to get around to.

Now that I've seen it at that price I refuse to pay more for it on a sale. You would've figured if it did so well at that price they should stick with it and provide some more keys.
I see where they're coming from, though. The cheapest G&K has been since its launch has been like $23, and then they offer it in the sub-$10 range and it (presumably) sells like crazy. They're wondering if they could have asked for more (like, maybe $15) and still gotten these kinds of (presumed) sales figures. I doubt Gods and Kings will be back up for $7.49 this sale.

offline installer package which will work forever and ever > steam keys

I bought TA recently from GoG and it was a clusterfuck. Had to play it in a separate window. Looked like shit. I pretty much stopped looking at GoG. Nostalgia is painful.

I also bought a hardcopy of BG2 recently and had to apply all kinds of mods to it just to make it legible.

Old games are old.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Yeah, I agree, that seems like a likely reason.

I guess that there is still the possibility that someone is able to bypass this. Any theories on how Valve is doing it? Locking in users in country specific stores based on currency used in past purchases? Or are they able to detect that a vpn is being used in some way? Recognition of known ips from vpn providers? (seems unlikely considering how broadly this has hit) Detecting some other technical detail of vpn usage?

An interesting and perhaps the most likely theory at this juncture considering I received the US news/updates pop-up window but was still restricted to the Australian store.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Thief 1/2 on Steam are the exact same as they were on GOG right down to the ddfix. Pretty much every GOG fix I've seen has just been an incorporation of a community fix. The only GOG handwork is the installers.

None of those games listed there will have an issue on Steam because they will be able to use the same community fixes that existed before GOG came around.

derExperte

An interesting and perhaps the most likely theory at this juncture considering I received the US news/updates pop-up window but was still restricted to the Australian store.

If you have your billing info including country saved from a previous purchase Steam now shows you the corresponding store. Delete the info and it takes the one matching to the current IP even when using VPN. But I still couldn't buy anything, they must have implemented other checks in the last few months.

camerooni

Neo Member
Downloadable Content For This Game
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Agency Jagd P22G
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Agency SPS 12
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Agency HX UMP
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Bartoli Custom Gun
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Krugermeier 2-2 Gun
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Bronson M1928 Gun
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: High Tech Disguise
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: High Roller Disguise
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Public Enemy Disguise
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Deus Ex (Adam Jensen) Disguise
$0.99 USD
Hitman: Absolution: Deus Ex (Adam Jensen) Handgun

Games only just come out but you want $1 a hit for how many 'guns'?
Those crazy hitmen!

EDIT: Oh wait.. disguises as well.. that's all good then ;) !?
Haha.. I'm sorry but this is just stupid: http://store.steampowered.com/app/216420/ - because fan service used to be free.. and also because it just looks dumb.

VALIS

9j37B.jpg

cicero

I see where they're coming from, though. The cheapest G&K has been since its launch has been like $23, and then they offer it in the sub-$10 range and it (presumably) sells like crazy. They're wondering if they could have asked for more (like, maybe $15) and still gotten these kinds of (presumed) sales figures. I doubt Gods and Kings will be back up for $7.49 this sale.

Tony's explanation was this, and it makes sense to me. I just hope that they get more Mac keys before the sale ends though.

As for Civ V Gods and Kings, remember, the current $7.49 price point is for the Mac version, which was ported by ASPYR, the fact that it is Steamplay is a coincidence.

EDIT: The explanation here is that sometimes we're able to get more aggressive bundle pricing approved than a la carte.

Cheers,
Tony

EDIT: From Tony on CAG

*sigh* i guess the G*K deal is dead :(

I hope you are wrong......

Just waiting on keys. Hoping for tomorrow AM.

Also, some bad news for Inversion fans.

Hey guys,

Heads up just shifted Inversion on 11/26 to $7.49 from $4.99, this was a typo on my part.

Cheers,
Tony

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Anyone knows if this key region-locking only applies to Inversion or are all the Amazon Steam keys now region-locked, or just some of them? If this isn't clarified it's gonna make buying from Amazon a really dicey prospect.

Only a few DD products on Amazon are region-locked. Inversion is one as well as the odd 2K game (Mafia 2, for instance; on the flipside, I can confirm that Civ V: GoTY isn't).

Deques

Steam Seal soon!!

When Valve contacted me about two weeks ago to announce their Autumn (nov 21-27) and Winter (Dec 20-Jan 4) sales – and to ask whether we’d like to include SOTMC (Secret of the Magic Crystals) or not – I came up with an idea. Let’s set the price at $1.99 and try to generate a total sale of 50.000+ copies.

http://sotmc.artery-studios.com/wp/
Read the second paragraph

Playing Spec Ops: The Line and Homefront kinda back to back.

I actually think the shooting in SO is pretty competent. Sure nothing special but it works and keeps things moving (oh and shout-outs to the dev for not having Multiplayer achievements).

Homefront is bad. Like beatemups, Call of Duty clones seem like they should be impossible to fuck up. Homefront though is like...wow. Hilarious amount of awful product placement, enemies that zero in on you no matter what, grenades all day, and a shit-ton of lousy scripting. It's totally crap but I figure I may as well finish since I'm probably already 80% done.

Of course I grabbed a bunch of screenshots of both games and posted them in the gallery.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom