• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyone else have this weird download pattern with steam lately? Goes up even above what my download speed should be, then down to zero, then up, etc... Tried changing locations but still the same.

d2b658ec8f1428f9afe7e80f185ecc510d72ff7f.jpg

Maaaaaaaaan, playing The Sith Lords for the first time and I'm reminded of how hard it was for me to play Knights of the Old Republic and stay on the Lightside. It seems like more than half the people who beg you for assistance have made horrible decisions and to be the good guy you've got to either pay their way out of trouble or fight their fights for them. And, of course, to be really good, you can't accept any rewards. It was annoying and I was always broke. Definitely made me relish the Darkside playthrough all the more.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Are they EVER going to add optional download speed caps? So many other services offer it. Why don't they? It was rumored to be in the works like two years ago.

GWX

Anyone else have this weird download pattern with steam lately? Goes up even above what my download speed should be, then down to zero, then up, etc... Tried changing locations but still the same.

It has been like this for me in the last few months. It's weird, but it doesn't seem like it's slowing down the donwload process that much in the end. Steam also shows speeds much higher than what my ISP provides me: I have a 1Mbps connection, and yet Steam shows 200KB/s download rates...

kurahador

I thought I was the only one. Not all games are like this though, TF2 for me is full speed. Dota 2 on the other hand.......

Ok, stupid question time guys. For the life of me i cannot find anything on the web about what the first non-valve game sold on steam was, someone help me!!! What is that game?

Derrick01

Banned

I don't get radical fluctuations like that but my normal is 1.2mb/s and it constantly bounces between 1.2 and 1.3 every few seconds. The weird problem with that is it actually seems to download a little slower like that than if it just stayed at 1.2 the entire time.

I don't get radical fluctuations like that but my normal is 1.2mb/s and it constantly bounces between 1.2 and 1.3 every few seconds. The weird problem with that is it actually seems to download a little slower like that than if it just stayed at 1.2 the entire time.

Yep, when my download sticks at 1.9Mb/s i can download a game at 5.5GB in 30 minutes. But when it fluctuates between 1.8 and 1.9 it takes quite a while longer, annoying.

Aselith

Anyone know how active Future Soldier is? Pretty easy to find games and stuff?

To answer my own question, this game is horrible and not worth getting. I tried to play tonight and got 3 connection to server lost messages when trying to connect on quickplay then I got into a game and had to go. I came back just now and got 5 connection to server lost messages then got into a game at which point the round went for 10 seconds and I got a host migration message (P2P? Fuck off.) and the game disconnected me then I got 6 connection to server lost messages and now I'll never play the game again.

Fucking awful. Do not buy at ANY price.

DTKT

I'm pretty sure the Steam release of Gish was in 2007.

I think Deepo is right.

Anyway, according to a Steam catalog search from inside the client, Gish was released in 2004 and added to Steam in 2007.

Rag Doll Kungfun seems like the winner here.

Roto13

I didn't even know Rag Doll Kung Fu was on Steam.

PSN version was awful. Time to download the Steam demo out of morbid curiosity.

Knights of the Old Republic 2 has been on Steam for two days now? I've already got 14 hours in it. I've had Risen 2: Dark Waters installed for months now and the best I could put in that game was 44 minutes. I think I like The Sith Lords.

It's nice. It's not Double Fine best game (and It's very simple), but It's charming and relaxing. It's an easy game (just like Costume Quest).

The silent film style + Russian Dolls are also great.

I actually found it more challenging but I never used hints. Probably my third favorite Double Fine game behind Psychonauts and Costume Quest.

Danj

Works fine for me.

How do you get it to work then, is there anything special you have to do in the Steam properties? I tried changing the shortcut to point directly to Diablo III.exe instead of Diablo III Launcher.exe but that didn't help either.

EDIT: turns out that since 1.04 you have to add -launch to the end of the shortcut properties in Steam. This makes it skip the launcher and launch D3 directly which works OK.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How do you get it to work then, is there anything special you have to do in the Steam properties? I tried changing the shortcut to point directly to Diablo III.exe instead of Diablo III Launcher.exe but that didn't help either.

Add -launch to the target line.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I find it weird that a non-Steam game is exciting me lately (Guild Wars 2).

Man, where's mah Torchlight 2?!

zombieshavebrains

I have not used cocaine
How is Day of defeat? What makes it difference from shooters that were around it's time?

I still think it is a great game. I had some amazing moments in both the original and source. It never had the following that CS had so it has always kind of been the redheaded step child of Valve's online games.

I really don't remember what came out around the same time but you have two teams with multiple classes which means you have multiple loadouts. There is no capture the flag, all the maps are capturing control points. Some classes (machine gun, sniper) are more support and if they're skilled can run the map so long as their teammates supply them with ammo. But other classes (assualt, rifleman, etc) can also demolish the other team depending on their skill as well. If you take the time to learn the maps/guns and develop your skills it can be rewarding just like any other game.

And Avalanche will forever be in favor of the Axis, nothing you can do about it.

HoosTrax

I have betrayed you my fellow PC gaming brethren. I bought Dark Souls.

*breaks down crying*
I've been doing my best to avoid that Dark Souls thread because I'm going to magically end up missing $32. The old official screenshots looked like ass to be honest (looked like PS2 / XBOX1 quality), but the new ones with the mod look legitimately like a proper PC game.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Anyone got to Blighttown yet? Is it bad like the PS3 version down there?

I spent hundreds on hours on it on PS3 but I'm waiting for some price cut, I don't feel like giving 40€ to Namco for a port like that.
No, but I'm a big fan of 60fps. Especially in games that demand precise timing in combat.

1-D_FTW

Same. Between Durante's awesome work and Helix getting 3D straightened out, I'm standing on the ledge too. I'm going to try and hold out for a better sale. I really don't think they deserve full price. And I want to make sure there aren't any nasty surprises later into the game. If everything holds up, though, I'll cave sooner than I thought I was going to.

I hope someone can fix the framerate too.

I think the odds are somewhere around zero. If they've keyed the animations, I don't think there's anything a mod can do.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Durante's fix also compelled me to re-buy Dark Souls after having my GMG pre-order refunded ($30), but while searching for a copy not priced at the full $40, I noticed that it's been taken down from GMG AU. My guess is that the game will soon reappear with a higher price tag.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Same. Between Durante's awesome work and Helix getting 3D straightened out, I'm standing on the ledge too. I'm going to try and hold out for a better sale. I really don't think they deserve full price. And I want to make sure there aren't any nasty surprises later into the game. If everything holds up, though, I'll cave sooner than I thought I was going to.

I think the odds are somewhere around zero. If they've keyed the animations, I don't think there's anything a mod can do.
Ah poops. Will wait for the $15 Steam sale then.

If it wasn't for Durante's fix I probably wouldn't have bought it at all, whether on a sale or not. But with that and the GMG deal I just had to buy it since I always wanted to get into the Souls series.

I know, it's not ideal with GFWL and it being a shoddy port and it might send out the wrong message but I want to find out whether it makes me mention Dark Souls in every single thread on GAF.

Tess3ract

Banned
From Dust has a 60fps patch, and it just makes the animations a little wonky but playable.

LA Noire has a 60fps patch, and it just makes the cars a bitch to drive a little.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom