• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I couldn't finish Arkham City in the Xbox because for some reason my saves kept erasing over and over, after the fourth try I just gave up and returned the game to a friend. I thought buying the Steam version would help but by the looks of it, I'll never be able to finish AC.

So fuck rocksteady I guess.

Argh, this is really frustrating though. Just when I was getting into the game too.

Blizzard

Banned
Ugh, I guess I was hoping it was only the original Arkham game deleting saves...Arkham City has it too? Are there any good tips for backing up the save file?

They said the save problem was fixed in the last patch but I guess not. I made a habit of backing up my save after every session with GameSave Manager, with the setting to create a new timestamped one each time so I could revert to an old one if necessary. Also, I read somewhere the problem is less likely to happen if you enter a building before quitting (so the game saves in the building instead of in the city). I don't know if that actually helped but I haven't had the problem.

So I experienced many, don't have an exact number, crashes entering and exiting the Iziz cantina and, so far, only two random crashes on Nar Shadda during random battles. getting better-ish? I haven't lost much progress because I've become so compulsive at saving.

OBUSy.png

To say I'm VERY LTTP is an understatement. Hope it's good.

There's a level where the only way to continue is to jump 50 feet off a waterfall, and you only get a small landing area which is actually safe, and it's not 100% safe. And the jungle is chock full of highly powered enemies that take special weapons to take out.

And all your weapons were just taken away.

Well that didn't last long. Game keeps crashing like shit. I maxed out the settings, but put Lighting to High instead of Very High as The Internet suggested.
Got the game running, but then I get kicked out, some "Critical Exception" error, etc.
*sigh*

*right click"
*remove local content*

done.

Well that didn't last long. Game keeps crashing like shit. I maxed out the settings, but put Lighting to High instead of Very High as The Internet suggested.
Got the game running, but then I get kicked out, some "Critical Exception" error, etc.
*sigh*

*right click"
*remove local content*

done.

Quitter.

Seriously. A single crash is enough?
Unfortunately it's not a single crash. Happened numerous times.
First the blank screen during start up, then I figured out the Lighting trick.
Got the game running, all OK, then when I left the game, crash "Critical Exception", etc.
Then back in, try again,same thing. :/

NHF folks, I don't want to bother with this now. Another time perhaps. ;) I've got stuff to play.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I wholeheartedly recommend this. Excellent ... "app"? Tons of Portal 2 info, behind the scenes stuff, etc.
Same goes for "The Final Hours of Mass Effect 3".
Geoff does good stuff. :thumbs up:

The Final Hours of Half-Life 3 is going to be a very interesting read.

1-D_FTW

Very very hard? Just one of the final stages.. But it's a excellent game

Unless they've patched it, I'd say that's a mighty big but. Those anti-climatic levels are complete crap (Fantastic game if you just pretend it ends when it should have).

There's a level where the only way to continue is to jump 50 feet off a waterfall, and you only get a small landing area which is actually safe, and it's not 100% safe. And the jungle is chock full of highly powered enemies that take special weapons to take out.

As far as I'm concerned, that was the only easy bit in that section. The game had really bad AI in that game. The rocket launching mutants would constantly shoot rockets into walls right in front of them. So instead of having them all suicide themselves, Crytek decided the only solution would be to make them immune to rocket damage. Which means these super tough mutants were immune to your best weapon. And those anti-climax levels were just loaded with ridiculously difficult enemies. It's the only game I've ever used a God mode to finish. Cause I was not playing it, and as far as I was concerned, I'd beaten the game and deserved to see the ending.

EDIT: You're the quitter? Fuck. That was a wasted response.

1-D_FTW

It's the thought that counts. ;)

No it's not;) I want more people in this world who rage every time they think of those rocket immune monsters. Hopefully you'll try again one day.

I wish Jeff Green's review was online. He raged appropriately at the flaws in this game. One of his more entertaining works.

Last week there was a sleeping dogs deal for 22$ but I forgot where. Is it still available for that price anywhere ?

Probably only a dodgy key site that'll get you banned if you mention it. Green Man Gaming has yet to go below $32 AFAIK.

Unless you're confusing the dollar sign with the pound sterling sign, since I'm fairly sure it's been around once £22.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
With the Civ 4 expansions do I need to have Civ 4 installed to run it or is the purchase enough? I'm pretty much just planning on playing Beyond the Sword.

IIRC you need to install all three (base, 2 expansions) but only run BtS.

Derrick01

Banned
Man Iziz in kotor 2 is a mess. I've crashed about 14 times already and a good number of that was on a location transition that the story forced so I couldn't do any tricks to get by it like I could with the others, like saving before entering the cantina. Just had to keep trying and pray it worked which it eventually did.

1 time it crashed I had to actually restart my PC since I couldn't get out of the black screen and when I ran the game again it reset all of my graphics options smh.

IIRC you need to install all three (base, 2 expansions) but only run BtS.

Thanks I'll download all 3.

1-D_FTW

Man Iziz in kotor 2 is a mess. I've crashed about 14 times already and a good number of that was on a location transition that the story forced so I couldn't do any tricks to get by it like I could with the others, like saving before entering the cantina. Just had to keep trying and pray it worked which it eventually did.

1 time it crashed I had to actually restart my PC since I couldn't get out of the black screen and when I ran the game again it reset all of my graphics options smh.

Reminds me of the elevator (towards the end in Kotor 1). Must have crashed a hundred times trying to get it to load past that point. When I finally did, I was so happy I could finally save and never have to load that again.

bigace33

I'm having a hard time deciding between Dark Souls, Darksiders and Sleepy Dogs. If only I had infinite money...
between darksiders and sleeping dogs I'd say sleeping dogs. don't know much about darksouls though. I'm not feeling darksiders 2 so far. the camera is super wonky. seems like a bit of a step back from the first game.

As far as I'm concerned, that was the only easy bit in that section. The game had really bad AI in that game. The rocket launching mutants would constantly shoot rockets into walls right in front of them. So instead of having them all suicide themselves, Crytek decided the only solution would be to make them immune to rocket damage. Which means these super tough mutants were immune to your best weapon. And those anti-climax levels were just loaded with ridiculously difficult enemies. It's the only game I've ever used a God mode to finish. Cause I was not playing it, and as far as I was concerned, I'd beaten the game and deserved to see the ending.
The waterfall can be handled by just staying in the river and swimming down it the whole time. The enemies don't see you underwater. I would call that cheesing it but it actually seems to be the intended way to do it.

The volcano is such bullshit but can be cheesed by propping open the door to the ammo room with a chair. PHYSICS! Clearly not intended but the only way to do it.

I hated those rocket wielding Trigens, the splash damage felt like it had infinite range. I don't think I've ever played a game with as sharp a decline as Far Cry.

Is there a way to keep Steam from compressing the shit out of profile pictures? I keep whittling down filesize, saving as png, and artifacting still makes me sad.

drhankmccoyphd

Neo Member
Anyone playing Walking dead on a 2008ish macbook pro? It looks like my 9400M/9600M Doesn't make the cut for minimum specs, but wondering if it'll be ok. Also how are KB+M controls?

Relax.MX

Unfortunately it's not a single crash. Happened numerous times.
First the blank screen during start up, then I figured out the Lighting trick.
Got the game running, all OK, then when I left the game, crash "Critical Exception", etc.
Then back in, try again,same thing. :/

NHF folks, I don't want to bother with this now. Another time perhaps. ;) I've got stuff to play.

I blame capitalism or Halo/CoD generation...man...is PC, you need some effort to get to the master race

I played through Kotor 2 a year or so ago with the previous version of the community patch and never crashed once I think it was version 1.7, not sure tho. This was on XP and I didn't use the widescreen mod either.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Daily deal is Adventures of Shuggy 75% off http://store.steampowered.com/app/211440/

I made the OT for this game, which has plenty of impressions, screenshots, and info in it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434099

I also gave it #2 in my GOTY ballot last year:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34373719&postcount=1572

Note that I wouldn't recommend it to everyone out there, but I think if you read about what kind of game it is, and it sounds appealing to you, it'll definitely deliver.

Speevy

Banned
I made the OT for this game, which has plenty of impressions, screenshots, and info in it:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=434099

I also gave it #2 in my GOTY ballot last year:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=34373719&postcount=1572

Note that I wouldn't recommend it to everyone out there, but I think if you read about what kind of game it is, and it sounds appealing to you, it'll definitely deliver.

Do you know why it stutters? The FPS are fine. I just can't figure it out. It's like my character gets "caught" on the background.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom