• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

n8

Unconfirmed Member
I have some pages kept open. I guess that Trading Card thing is coming soonish.

emotions.png

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Profile backgrounds and emoticons? OMG I <3 YOU VALVE Tonight I'm gonna chat like it's 1999

Blizzard

Banned
People wanting reasonable/decade old features, didn't Valve say in the recent Greenlight dev chat that they could not add games any faster because of technical limitations? If they're having trouble even adding extra pages to the game store, who knows what they'll break if they try to make anything else new show up. =P

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
seems the game is divisive in the way max payne 3 was. some people hated the modern updates, which may seem to be the case here. I enjoyed max payne 3 for what it was and I didn't play the previous entries in that series either so perhaps not having prior entries to judge hitman will fare the same results. However, if the game straight up doesn't work the way it was designed to, then I'll have no problem eviscerating it right along side you.
I played every Max Payne as soon as they came out, am a big fan of the franchise, consider the first one one of my 3 favorite games ever, and I still loved MP3.

But Absolution? Nah, didn't like it. And I'm not a huge fan of the Hitman franchise, mind you: the only game I had played back then was Blood Money (amazing!), with the first 3 missions of Codename 47 (watched a Let's Play of the rest) and a shooting playthrough of Silent Assassin made a few months before Absolution came out, as a kind of preparation for it. If there's a game I wish I hadn't payed $30 bucks for, this is the one. And maybe Dark Souls too, it's too hard for me.

KingKong

Yeah Max Payne 3 is very true to Max Payne mechanically. The tone is different but it's still noir, just neo noir, and it was better for Rockstar to do their thing than try to ape Remedy. They still had some great cheesy lines like the "second favorite drinking arm"

zkylon

zkylewd
Yeah Max Payne 3 is very true to Max Payne mechanically. The tone is different but it's still noir, just neo noir, and it was better for Rockstar to do their thing than try to ape Remedy. They still had some great cheesy lines like the "second favorite drinking arm"
neo noir with a nonsensical story, cringeworthy writing and retconned characters

that you're forced to watch

too bad because combat is awesome

zkylon

zkylewd
damn those cutscenes, single handedly ruining any replay potential the game would have for me. combat was damn fun.
I managed to beat it a second time by watching tv in between the shitty cutscenes

badgad with g strings has to be the single worst line in videogame history

I will.

To address your complaints with max payne 3 though regarding the "flow". I tried to view my time with max payne 3 as a playable die hard movie, since it did try very hard to be as cinematic as possible. From a storyline perspective this worked, even with the flashback chapters which may have been what ruined the flow for you. From a gameplay perspective this game worked extremely well because of the tech you mentioned, the physics of moving max payne and the shooting itself is what I'm thinking about mainly here (I thought there were some bullshit difficulty spikes with some of the enemy encounters, so I'll give you that regarding the flow). So overall, it was quite good in my mind, though, if you didn't like the story it was trying to tell then I can see how it wasn't for you.
You'll get what im saying if you play one of the other 2 games. They have aged well so be sure to play any of them. Also Max Payne 3 didn't manage to inject any variety to the encounters, it feels like you are replaying the exact same gunfight in different backgrounds, to me it made me feel the game was a lot longer than it should. The 2 first games handled this a lot better and were colored with some very memorable moments. -"No you bring it!"...-"whistles"

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I loved all 3 Max Payne games. I don't get why people instantly question if you played the first 2 simply because you like the 3rd. Guess what, it's possible to think all 3 are fucking awesome.

I managed to beat it a second time by watching tv in between the shitty cutscenes

badgad with g strings has to be the single worst line in videogame history

It was so bad it was amazing. The delivery totally sells that shit.

BioShock 2 has steam achievements. Anyone know if GFWL has been patched out?

They aren't functional yet.

zkylon

zkylewd
Come on, that was intentionally cheesy

there's nothing cheesy about max payne 3

while the first two were sometimes bizarre and weird and didn't take themselves that seriously (max realizing he's in a videogame comes to mind, or lord and ladies, or having a level set in a heavy metal club called ragnarock, etc.), max payne 3 tries to be depressing and gritty and serious and sometimes some GTA character shows up to vomit like two awkard sentences about their activist teenage daughter or something for whatever unknown reason.

zkylon

zkylewd
Remember that MP2 had those awful Mona missions and protecting guy in costume
mp2 also has a pretty shitty story in comparison to mp1

mp1 is godly
mp2 is very good, but often annoying or uninteresting
mp3 is genius trapped in garbage

I loved all 3 Max Payne games. I don't get why people instantly question if you played the first 2 simply because you like the 3rd. Guess what, it's possible to think all 3 are fucking awesome.
true, true.

I guess it depends on how invested you are in the remedy brand of storytelling

I found the combat in alan wake to be pretty dodgy but it was still the max payne game I wanted

if you don't care that much about it then max payne 3 has some great combat and a kickass soundtrack. the plot isn't even that bad if you treat the game as the dumb action movie it is.

It was so bad it was amazing. The delivery totally sells that shit.
honestly, no. the game started up pretty cool, I was all stoked up to play a badass max payne game and then all the poetry goes to shit

I'd appreciate the shittiness if I didn't like remedy's style so much as to see it all gone and messed up.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
If they are bothering to do this, maybe they will feel pity on us and get Minerva's Den on Steam as well.

The achievement list references it.

I heard from someone who keeps close watch on the registry stuff that Digital Extremes is tied to the changes being made (they played a role in creating the games multiplayer originally).

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
My man. Finally someone who's talking some sense.

The fuck Capcom, was this really necessary?
Beautiful.

there's nothing cheesy about max payne 3

while the first two were sometimes bizarre and weird and didn't take themselves that seriously (max realizing he's in a videogame comes to mind, or lord and ladies, or having a level set in a heavy metal club called ragnarock, etc.), max payne 3 tries to be depressing and gritty and serious and sometimes some GTA character shows up to vomit like two awkard sentences about their activist teenage daughter or something for whatever unknown reason.
The part you mention was inside a hallucination due to an excess of Valkyr in his bloodstream. And the gothic (not heavy metal) nightclub fitted perfectly with all the Nordic mithology themes that filled the game. It's not the game not taking itself seriously.

zkylon

zkylewd
The part you mention was inside a hallucination due to an excess of Valkyr in his bloodstream. And the gothic (not heavy metal) nightclub fitted perfectly with all the Nordic mithology themes that filled the game. It's not the game not taking itself seriously.
huh? the game can be silly and provide context for its silliness at the same time. the super hyper exaggerated poeticness of max's monologues is the same thing, it's hilarious but at the same time it's well written and fitting for the setting and the character.

and that's exactly the problem with mp3's out of the blue GTA characters. they spawn and say some fun shit and disappear from existence without reason or meaning. and even then it always falls flat because of poor writing.

in max payne 3 max loathes all these people around him (who could blame him, after all, they're written by dan houser...) and he's not amusing in the slightest, the tv shows are boring and obvious and there's no crazy dream sequences or anything like the address unknown funhouse.

also max is an unlikable whiny deadbeat drunk

blegh

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
huh? the game can be silly and provide context for its silliness at the same time. the super hyper exaggerated poeticness of max's monologues are the same thing, it's hilarious but at the same time it's well written and fitting for the setting and the character.

and that's exactly the problem with mp3's out of the blue GTA characters. they spawn and say some fun shit and disappear from existence without reason or meaning. and even then it always falls flat because of poor writing.

in max payne 3 max loathes all these people around him (who could blame him, after all, they're written by dan houser...) and he's not amusing in the slightest, the tv shows are boring and obvious and there's no crazy dream sequences or anything like the address unknown funhouse.

I thought Max was generally quite humorous in 3 with his observations and how he talked about everyone around him. There's some fun dark humour in there. I also think Maxs character is without a doubt the best in 3 out of all the games by a large margin. He's got a terrific character arc in 3 and I actually liked him more in comparison to 1 and 2. It's not that I hated him in 1 and 2, he was barely a character at all, but I empathised a lot more with him in 3 and despite some of Housers 'goon' characters Maxs dialogue/writing/performance is fantastic. Maybe I just empathise with down and out characters more but I definitely enjoyed his characterisation the most in 3 out of all the games. I must admit I did miss some of the silliness from the first two games but I appreciated that's not what Rockstar were going for in 3.

DocSeuss

Did they also patch in gamepad support? >_>

Why would you want to play a FPS on the PC with gamepad support.

Did they patch in FOV slider? That's the MOST IMPORTANT THING.

huh? the game can be silly and provide context for its silliness at the same time. the super hyper exaggerated poeticness of max's monologues is the same thing, it's hilarious but at the same time it's well written and fitting for the setting and the character.

also max is an unlikable whiny deadbeat drunk

blegh

Wow, this is... yes. This is my feelings exactly. The plot's bad, Max seems spiteful for no reason, he's constantly holding the idiot ball for no reason at all, the game lacks any kind of subtlety or metatext (Dick Justice and Address Unknown absolutely DESTROY anything Rockstar ever did), and it's mostly just preachy bullshit about how AMERICANS should STOP GOING TO OTHER COUNTRIES and NOT BE DICKS TO PEOPLE and stuff. It's just dumb. Max isn't a rich tourist--I've found more correlation with rich people being dickish rich people than tourists being jerks. Rich people seem to be tourists more often because they can afford it.

Apparently, Film Crit Hulk thinks the same way. The dude hates Max Payne 3.

eyeless

anyone know if and how i could add aim assist to a source engine game, specifically zeno clash? i got a gamepad working cause of this helpful chap but the shooting a gun is kinda terrible sans aim assist

any advice is welcome except use the kb/m why would you want to use a gamepad kb/m is superior bro just use the kb/m if you want to use a gamepad play it on console

edit: holy shit i typed that without seeing the above post, perfect

DocSeuss

anyone know if and how i could add aim assist to a source engine game, specifically zeno clash? i got a gamepad working cause of this helpful chap but the shooting a gun is kinda terrible sans aim assist

any advice is welcome except use the kb/m why would you want to use a gamepad kb/m is superior bro just use the kb/m if you want to use a gamepad play it on console

I don't believe you can.

Bit curious why you'd buy Zeno Clash on the PC and not buy it on the 360, which presumably has aim assist.

eyeless

I don't believe you can.

Bit curious why you'd buy Zeno Clash on the PC and not buy it on the 360, which presumably has aim assist.
lol

because i play my video games on my personal computer, because the pc version is superior, because the xbox version wasn't 3 dollars, because i assumed zeno clash had native gamepad support like most modern games, because i didn't even know there were guns in this game

i'm not a pc gamer because i'm really into the keyboard and mouse. i don't know if you noticed but the pc has other selling points

Sajjaja

lol

because i play my video games on my personal computer, because the pc version is superior, because the xbox version wasn't 3 dollars, because i assumed zeno clash had native gamepad support like most modern games, because i didn't even know there were guns in this game

i'm not a pc gamer because i'm really into the keyboard and mouse. i don't know if you noticed but the pc has other selling points

dat hostility.

Why not just just kb/m?

dat hostility.

Why no just just kb/m?
because
lol

Sajjaja

but

lol

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
lol

Well a while after they released the PC version they made the XBLA version, the 'Ultimate' edition as it was called, which included some changes such as new moves, controller support etc. They wanted to bring these back into the PC version initially ended up having to leave it That's why they ended up not patching in controller support etc afterwards.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Biggest reason for me to use a gamepad most of the time is because I have my PC hooked up to a TV and I play on a couch. I can still use a wireless KBM but it's not as comfortable, and I rarely feel like using one of those little tables even though I have one around.

zkylon

zkylewd
I thought Max was generally quite humorous in 3 with his observations and how he talked about everyone around him. There's some fun dark humour in there. I also think Maxs character is without a doubt the best in 3 out of all the games by a large margin. He's got a terrific character arc in 3 and I actually liked him more in comparison to 1 and 2. It's not that I hated him in 1 and 2, he was barely a character at all, but I empathised a lot more with him in 3 and despite some of Housers 'goon' characters Maxs dialogue/writing/performance is fantastic. Maybe I just empathise with down and out characters more but I definitely enjoyed his characterisation the most in 3 out of all the games. I must admit I did miss some of the silliness from the first two games but I appreciated that's not what Rockstar were going for in 3.
this might be a little spoilery so imma spoilertag it... it's basically mp2 ending and random mp3 stuff

his family being dead problem is solved in mp2. rockstar just didn't know what to do with the character so they said "well max is bummed out for some reason!" and made him a pitiful drunk that can't do shit right (except he's still max motherfucking payne and can kill like a billion dudes no sweat) with none of his previous wit or charm and just flat out dislikeable.

and he stops being a drunk at some random point in the game, and for some reason it's remotely hinted that him being a dumb american is also a factor (which could be the single most interesting thing about the game, except at the end the dumb american is still the hero, bruce willis style).

all of this to solve a problem of which max was already over. literally like the last words of mp2 were "my family's dead, but it's alright". in mp2 he attempts to find love again and cope with his dead family in some way that isn't just blind revenge.

also I disagree with anything about the writing in mp3 being fantastic. there's maybe one or two lines but everything else is atrocious.

Wow, this is... yes. This is my feelings exactly. The plot's bad, Max seems spiteful for no reason, he's constantly holding the idiot ball for no reason at all, the game lacks any kind of subtlety or metatext (Dick Justice and Address Unknown absolutely DESTROY anything Rockstar ever did), and it's mostly just preachy bullshit about how AMERICANS should STOP GOING TO OTHER COUNTRIES and NOT BE DICKS TO PEOPLE and stuff. It's just dumb. Max isn't a rich tourist--I've found more correlation with rich people being dickish rich people than tourists being jerks. Rich people seem to be tourists more often because they can afford it.

Apparently, Film Crit Hulk thinks the same way. The dude hates Max Payne 3.
I'd love for the game to have any higher meaning but if it has it's drowned in the awfulness of its writing, its plot and its characters.

the foreign policy stuff is actually pretty interesting, though, I wish someone could make a good analysis on it. it sure won't be me.

eyeless

dat hostility.

Why no just just kb/m?
you have miscontrued my post, there was no hostility, merely amusement, despite having been driven to near insanity because of years of googling to check if a game has gamepad support and without fail finding threads inquiring about gamepad support filled not with answers but instead the aforementioned 'why don't you just use kb/m it's better'
read the sentence as a whole
Well a while after they released the PC version they made the XBLA version, the 'Ultimate' edition as it was called, which included some changes such as new moves, controller support etc. They wanted to bring these back into the PC version initially ended up having to leave it That's why they ended up not patching in controller support etc afterwards.
thanks yeah i found out as much when browsing the steam forum, too bad but as i mentioned i've got controller support working nicely except shooting a gun, which thankfully is not a terribly common occurrence thus far

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom