• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkylon

zkylewd
image.php

Hello there new avatar
yum

FloatOn

So is God Mode more like Orcs Must Die or The Club?

Just finished Bio 1 for the first time; pretty incredible. Would've been slightly more rewarding had Brad not ruined the twist for me on the Bombcast a few weeks ago but I suppose it's my fault for not finishing it earlier. On to Infinite....

I would say it's more like The Club. From what I've seen there isn't any trap setting in God Mode. It's just 3rd person shooting through levels with random mutators that make things easier or harder as you go along. Then at the end you fight it out with your friends over gold that gets you unlocks.

I'm tempted to get it but it seems like it doesn't have any staying power at all. I think there is only like 5 levels or so.

And don't be a jerk. Beat Bioshock 2. It has the best combat in the franchise.

Tomodachi

I was wondering if anyone wants to trade Ridge Racer Unbounded for the extra Steam keys I got for Resonance + Gemini Rue + Blackwell Saga (all four chapters). Would that be a fair deal?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Am I a bad person for thinking that Machinarium is not a good game? While the art is beautiful, I can't get past the slow and awkward controls and the pretty obtuse puzzles. It really is a drag to play for me.
I liked what little I played of it, but you're right with your impressions. It's very slow, and the puzzles are complicated.

I found it a drag to play too. Botanicula was better.

I was really enjoying Botanicula, except I took a break and didn't play it for a couple of months. When I loaded it back up I was in the middle of some convoluted multiple item fetch quest in a maze-like hive and had no desire to continue playing at all, so uninstalled it again.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was really enjoying Botanicula, except I took a break and didn't play it for a couple of months. When I loaded it back up I was in the middle of some convoluted multiple item fetch quest in a maze-like hive and had no desire to continue playing at all, so uninstalled it again.

Yeah, that's easily the worst part and reminded me of Machinarium's puzzle design a lot.

1-D_FTW

Am I a bad person for thinking that Machinarium is not a good game? While the art is beautiful, I can't get past the slow and awkward controls and the pretty obtuse puzzles. It really is a drag to play for me.

Right there with you. I actually have this issue with the entire indie puzzle genre. And after reading the Edge review of Quantum Conundrum, I guess they verbalized it for me. Most of these guys just have shit pacing. They throw you from one puzzle to the next, and after a while, it just feels like you're a rat in a maze waiting for the next gate to open. There's just a real fatigue that sets in when a game has poor pacing with how they handle puzzles.

Wow. Me too.

The best recent point+click game I've recently played is the first episode of The Journey Down. I turned the voices off but the music was great and the characters were very likable.

Right there with you. I actually have this issue with the entire indie puzzle genre. And after reading the Edge review of Quantum Conundrum, I guess they verbalized it for me. Most of these guys just have shit pacing. They throw you from one puzzle to the next, and after a while, it just feels like you're a rat in a maze waiting for the next gate to open. There's just a real fatigue that sets in when a game has poor pacing with how they handle puzzles.

That's ultimately every adventure game. The plot is just a wrapper as you make your way through a series of mazes. Just like RPGs are ultimately wrappers for filling progress bars, as is being discussed in the other thread.

abracadaver

Can someone please gift me sniper elite v2 nazi zombie army ? I will pay you the price of the game + 5$ upfront with paypal

Its not available in my country

GWX

You're a bad person, yes. The puzzles, while complicated, are awesome, and if they were too easy, I wouldn't have enjoyed the game as much. And if you just can't figure them out, the game gives you the option to play a very simple minigame to unlock the walkthrough.

The match 5 puzzle IS terrible, though

Anyone ever transfered installed games from one computer to another? I am in Canada, so Bandwidth is worth its "weight" in gold. I have Borderlands 2 and Darksiders 2 installed on my laptop but I recently moved back home for the Summer and want to play them on my superior desktop. Can I just copy the steamapps folder onto an external harddrive and place it into the steamapps on my desktop?

You don't qualify for anything here?

1-D_FTW

That's ultimately every adventure game. The plot is just a wrapper as you make your way through a series of mazes. Just like RPGs are ultimately wrappers for filling progress bars, as is being discussed in the other thread.

I guess. But some games have found a way to transcend the genre limitations and not make it just be a grind. There's definitely good, bad, and terrible pacing even within the puzzle genre. And it's my opinion most of them belong in the terrible category.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Is Surgeon Simulator 2013 like that PC game Life and Death or is it one of those X Simulator 20XX games?

Blizzard

Banned
I guess. But some games have found a way to transcend the genre limitations and not make it just be a grind. There's definitely good, bad, and terrible pacing even within the puzzle genre. And it's my opinion most of them belong in the terrible category.
Which would you say have managed to transcend the limitations?

I think part of the issue may be that high-end teams like Valve making Portal or Portal 2 have people who are really good at writing, voice-acting, animation, plot, or whatnot. With a team of maybe 2-3 people, you're unlikely to find the same combination of quality, so you're probably more likely to have the team focus on gameplay, with the result that it may not have the characters, plot, pacing, and so forth that a studio release might.

Your profile says you're in Toronto, so there are better options for internet providers than whoever you're apparently with to worry about bandwidth for 2 games :p

Well I am living at my families for the summer with 4 siblings and they don't want to go over the 125gb limit. It adds up :(. But rogers is terrible we are moving in a month (to Aurora) and will switch to bell probably if they have unlimited.

As I said above, my family is moving from Toronto to Aurora next month, I don't believe they have the higher speeds connection up there as we tried before.

Also just saw godmode is released, looks comical.

I totally get what you are saying with the pacing. My main complaint is that the puzzles got fairly difficult a little too quickly. For me the room seen below (which is only like the 4th room) just really gave me challenges to the point where I was stuck. So I play the stupid little walkthrough minigame to see what I am supposed to do, and then looking at the solution, I don't even really understand how I was supposed to learn this on my own (stuff like the different sets of wires). I feel like I should have some kind of epiphany and say, "Oh, how did I miss that". It all felt like trial and error puzzle solving which doesn't really satisfy me upon completion, it just becomes, "Well, I'm glad that is over with".
I'm fine with difficult levels of course. Obviously there needs to be some challenge. But I really don't like how it got so difficult so quickly. I also prefer it when a game slowly teaches you what patterns to look for, or methods to solve with instead of just throwing an obtuse puzzle at you and hope you noticed a tiny little detail back in another room, because with out it, you will waste all day trying things. I think Portal is an excellent puzzle game because you are shown what the portal gun can do before you get it, taught that putting box on the button opens the door, then you are taught about using momentum through falling can get you to new places, etc. Then once the test chambers are done and you are running around the bowels of aperture science with no guide, you can still piece together exactly what you need to do to get from A to B.
I guess Machinarium is not a bad game, but it is definitely not a game for me. I can appreciate a lot of what it trying to do, but I think the execution of the ideas, could have been a lot better.

P1C30BOl.jpg

I totally get what you are saying with the pacing. My main complaint is that the puzzles got fairly difficult a little too quickly. For me the room seen below (which is only like the 4th room) just really gave me challenges to the point where I was stuck. So I play the stupid little walkthrough minigame to see what I am supposed to do, and then looking at the solution, I don't even really understand how I was supposed to learn this on my own (stuff like the different sets of wires). I feel like I should have some kind of epiphany and say, "Oh, how did I miss that". It all felt like trial and error puzzle solving which doesn't really satisfy me upon completion, it just becomes, "Well, I'm glad that is over with".
I'm fine with difficult levels of course. Obviously there needs to be some challenge. But I really don't like how it got so difficult so quickly. I also prefer it when a game slowly teaches you what patterns to look for, or methods to solve with instead of just throwing an obtuse puzzle at you and hope you noticed a tiny little detail back in another room, because with out it, you will waste all day trying things. I think Portal is an excellent puzzle game because you are shown what the portal gun can do before you get it, taught that putting box on the button opens the door, then you are taught about using momentum through falling can get you to new places, etc. Then once the test chambers are done and you are running around the bowels of aperture science with no guide, you can still piece together exactly what you need to do to get from A to B.
I guess Machinarium is not a bad game, but it is definitely not a game for me. I can appreciate a lot of what it trying to do, but I think the execution of the ideas, could have been a lot better.

Well, Machinarium has some pretty great examples of scaffolding. The fact that puzzles are first confined to one room each, for example, or the optional minigame to obtain hints (which seems like you abused to guide you through the entire game), or that those hints are super obvious in the beginning, then less hand holding as the game progresses. I didn't find any of the puzzles impossible to figure on one's own, either, though indeed, some were quite hard until they clicked. But to each their own, I guess.

As I said above, my family is moving from Toronto to Aurora next month, I don't believe they have the higher speeds connection up there as we tried before.

Parts of Aurora are good internet-wise I believe.

Also since you mentioned rogers, they currently have the same unlimited option as Bell for a limited time.

Iadien

Guarantee I'm going to screw up this post? Yeah.
woo, thank you valve for funding me for your next sale!

(going for $15+ on the market)

I found my second one last night, sold it for 23 steam bucks today. The first one I found I sold for 59 steam bucks though.

derExperte

Still it sounds like you don't enjoy adventure/puzzle games all that much if puzzle solving is a grind to you. That's why I play them, solve one, get the next, the less fat around it the better in general. And Machinarium had imo good pacing without much boring running around (hello The Cave!), puzzles weren't too complex either, everything makes sense in a weird kind of way. I mean everyone hates some genre but does like the occasional game from it, that still says more about personal taste than the overall quality. I remember one time someone complained that the Layton games were one puzzle after another. Yeah, okay. That's just how they are and people like it.

So Ridge Racer Unbounded a good game? Good PC port?

Apparently old RR fans don't like it much and the first few races are hard as hell before you come to terms with the drift/boost-system. After that I found it to be a very enjoyable racer that can kick your ass if you don't know what you're doing but rewards good driving. I especially appreciate that there's not much bs around the races, a few button presses and it's on unlike all the NfS' from recent years. Port ran smooth for me, nothing fancy, just works.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Man, fuck surgeon simulator.

I'm disappointed that you have to unlock operations one by one. The controls are much better than the free version, but they're still all over the place. That's part of the game's appeal but when you're actually trying to successfully perform a surgery, rather than just mauling the dude for fun, it can get a little frustrating. I just wanna have it all available from the start. Oh well.

Also, is it just me or does Steam community not working for SS? I wanna post some shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom