• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
A079Q-DDBGW-080B5

Hey, thanks for that game! Only problem is I only have an unredeemed key for that game, so I didn't really need that one.

So, here's that key:

4FMXZ-VI3GH-HWKGJ
tkgqhEZ.jpg

garath

So Knife of Dunwall? I just started playing Dishonored and I'm enjoying it. I rarely play DLCs for games but I heard Dishonored was pretty short.

Knife of Dunwall seems to be the only DLC worth it. $3 isn't bad.

Bought a second Indie Gala Summertide bundle during Happy Hour to see how it worked (don't laugh XD), with the intention of giving the keys away, so have fun.
Oh, and I put the two Trainz Simulator 12 DLCs together with the main game (so those should be 3 keys), hopefully I did it right and it works OK.

Awesome giveaway man, thanks! I took a SPAZ key.

Turfster

So Knife of Dunwall? I just started playing Dishonored and I'm enjoying it. I rarely play DLCs for games but I heard Dishonored was pretty short.

It's good! It's a real challenge to ghost/clean hands too.
(Also, Dishonored is only short if you go all murder everyone pew pew on it, if you stealth it, it's pretty long ;)

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

Knife of Dunwall is definitely worth snapping up as it lasts a few hours and leads into the third (and presumably final) piece of DLC due out in about a week; Dunwall City Trials is exactly what it sounds like (a series challenges); and finally, Void Walker's Arsenal is just a collection of the retailer-exclusive pre-purchase DLC, so it's not at all necessary.

It's good! It's a real challenge to ghost/clean hands too.
(Also, Dishonored is only short if you go all murder everyone pew pew on it, if you stealth it, it's pretty long ;)

man that game was fun to pew pew through. I always started out stealth...but it quickly went to shit. Need to do another playthrough now that I have the DLC.

Bought a second Indie Gala Summertide bundle during Happy Hour to see how it worked (don't laugh XD), with the intention of giving the keys away, so have fun.
Oh, and I put the two Trainz Simulator 12 DLCs together with the main game (so those should be 3 keys), hopefully I did it right and it works OK.

Thanks for Sacraboar!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

Dishonored took me 15+ hours and I'm not that slow a player like some of the people in this thread. Multiple people have stated that Knife DLC took them around 5 hours too.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
The worst thing about pirating games is that they don't add to your game count.
And they don't drop cards, don't forget that.

What I mean is, if someone is pointing out that Game X is $5 on a site (instead of, say, $20), and everyone seems to agree that it's a good enough game that if you're interested in the concept you should get it, and it being on sale is out of the ordinary (ie not Borderlands 2), then imo either you can afford it and you go for it, or you can't - and if you can't then of course, saying "aw man, does anyone know if it's selling for $2 anywhere, I can't afford spending more than that" if totally fair, but what I see is "I want the game, I can afford it, I want to pay for it BUT I definitely want to pay the absolute minimum amount."

I often get the impression that when someone talks about a price reduction for a game, that causes sudden interest in that game and people start to look for ways to get it even cheaper, as if the value of the game was how much you saved when buying it instead of the game itself.

My comment re. piracy was obviously stupid yes, it's a complicated matter, but what I'm saying is if Game X is at 75% off, it's already selling at a way lower price than what the developer thinks it's worth, so if even that is too much for you and you have to seek better discounts for the heck of it, then getting a pirated copy isn't too far off. I mean people buy the games thinking 'well I'm helping the developers, I didn't pirate it' but if you went out of your way to get it for 10% of its normal price, then you aren't helping much more than if you'd just pirated it, there's a bit of self-delusion going on.
Strange, what I saw was "Hey guys, do you know if X game has been cheaper than this?". Guess we've been reading a different post.

What other people think about the price is irrelevant if YOU don't want to pay it, or are hoping for a better deal. You have no idea whether Wilflare can afford it or not, and frankly it's none of your business. Wanting to pay the absolute minimum amount is not a bad thing at all, and it's a stupid mentality the one that thinks otherwise.

You still don't get it. Piracy is illegal, no matter how cheap the game is or how devalued you believe it is. Some people buy the games thinking "Well, it's cheap enough that even if I never play it this purchase won't hurt me financially". Don't know where you got that "helping the developers" thing from. Personally, I don't care about helping them, just as I don't care about helping actors or keyboard players. They can help themselves pretty well, I think. Why do they deserve my money more than I deserve saving it? Why should they be helped more than me? Why do you keep comparing buying a game for cheap to pirating it?

EDIT: and the value of the game is whatever you think it's worth. If I don't want to pay more than 30 cents for it, then the value to me is no more and no less than 30 cents, even if the devs themselves or other posters think it's worth more (or less) than that.

JaseC

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker--if you have both fewer than five posts in this Steam thread and fewer than five posts in the immediate previous Steam thread--you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hydrophobia -- MB-E0C3B03FD7E05A49 - Taken by Chairmanchuck
Aura: Fate of the Ages -- MB-BD43C09FF715FC00 - Taken by Whooter

Freezard

God dammit I keep missing Painkiller o:

Also finished TR Underworld. Love how they mixed all the cultures, the final levels were really cool. 7 / 10

Fireblend

Banned
Now that we're talking about pew-pew-ing your way through games. Is that the only real way of getting past enemies/progressing in Tomb Raider? Seems like such a wasted opportunity if so.

Playing through Dishonored stealthily has proven to me how much more I enjoy playing games like that, but eh, TR seems interesting so far and it's so damn pretty so I'll definitely stick with it.

Oh yeah, definitely grabbing Knife of Dunwall, although who knows when I'll get around to play it, much like Deus Ex HR's The Missing Link :(

Gbraga

Now that we're talking about pew-pew-ing your way through games. Is that the only real way of getting past enemies/progressing in Tomb Raider? Seems like such a wasted opportunity if so.

Playing through Dishonored stealthily has proven to me how much more I enjoy playing games like that, but eh, TR seems interesting so far and it's so damn pretty so I'll definitely stick with it.

Depends on the encounter, aside from the cover shooter setpieces, you'll be able to approach them freely. I loved the combat in Tomb Raider. Once you unlock a few upgrades, it plays pretty much like a RE4/Alan Wake hybrid.

I still didn't play Dishonored, but even though I also like stealth, I won't be able to resist the urge of using all those powers and abilities to kill everything without being noticed. Every time I look at Dishonored all I see is Crysis/Far Cry 3 with crazy powers

Turfster

Oh yeah, definitely grabbing Knife of Dunwall, although who knows when I'll get around to play it, much like Deus Ex HR's The Missing Link :(

Sadly, yes. You can't avoid most of the fights in Tomb Raider because of setpiece scripting and the fact that if you botch one kill, everyone knows where you are. Luckily, the amount of enemies, while still way too large, never reaches Uncharted levels of "srsly, you're going to spawn more of them?" The best/most fun part of Tomb Raider was
the wolf forest at night after the helicopter crash
, where you could actually play stealthily. Still, Tomb Raider was a good game. Here's hoping they add some more stealth options to the sequel (and lower the enemy count some more).

Missing Link is pretty awesome, you should fast-track it ;)

JaseC

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Holy shit, Steve Gaynor just linked to this project on Greenlight called Viscera Cleanup Detail. It seems like the game is still pretty early in development but what a brilliant and hilarious concept. http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=159096666

Good and I hope they add some kind of online co op. This would be fun to try with friends. It seems local co op is working enough right now.

Why not, just used the rest of my PP to pre-order.

Fireblend

Banned
Depends on the encounter, aside from the cover shooter setpieces, you'll be able to approach them freely. I loved the combat in Tomb Raider. Once you unlock a few upgrades, it plays pretty much like a RE4/Alan Wake hybrid.

I still didn't play Dishonored, but even though I also like stealth, I won't be able to resist the urge of using all those powers and abilities to kill everything without being noticed. Every time I look at Dishonored all I see is Crysis/Far Cry 3 with crazy powers

Maybe I'm not that far into the game then, because it seems to me like all encounters I've had so far have been cover shooter setpieces :p other than the forced stealth at the beginning, that is, since I didn't have a weapon to begin with (or did I? eh, now I can't remember).

And yes, I had to revisit Dishonored after finishing my no-kill run just to mess with the battle system which is also tons of fun.
Missing Link is pretty awesome, you should fast-track it ;)

I've beaten more games since the end of the Steam sale than I think I have in the previous year. So yes, everything's getting fast-tracked and since I'm kind of in the mood for more stealth action I might play it really soon.

Gbraga

Maybe I'm not that far into the game then, because it seems to me like all encounters I've had so far have been cover shooter setpieces :p other than the forced stealth at the beginning, that is, since I didn't have a weapon to begin with (or did I? eh, now I can't remember).

And yes, I had to revisit Dishonored after finishing my no-kill run just to mess with the battle system which is also tons of fun.

You'll have more free encounters in the hub areas, mostly. It's a shame the game doesn't have new game + though, you'll never get to play around with the great combat in the first few hours before you get the upgrades to make the combat RE4/Alan Wake, before that it's just 'whatever'. Great game though.

And you gave me a good idea for Dishonored, maybe I'll just stealth my way through in the first run, mostly to absorb the atmosphere and stuff like that (seems they did a pretty good job in Dishonored), since I'd probably miss on a lot if I just teleported everywhere and killed everything. Even if it's not the most fun way to me, it's worth it. I'll probably use a controller in that playthrough as well so I can enjoy the visuals on my TV :)

Finished Beatbuddy. Really nice game. Impressive hand drawn visuals, good mix of action-rhythm-puzzle-platforming (a bit too easy maybe). Took me 4 hours (without extras).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom