• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoja

That graph is eerily accurate. I stopped at 9 hours because I realized that hunting was boring, side stuff was a bunch of fetch quests,climbing radio towers was a dumb QTE, taking outposts was the same shit everytime, the crafting system is boring and doesn't reward experimentation and the story is just bland.

I can't figure out why reviewers rated it so high. Truly puzzling.

While I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet so I can't agree or disagree, I would speculate that a kind of "out-of-the-gate" syndrome is going on.

By that I mean, games like Skyrim, where the first few hours are absolutely marvellous to play, so any reviewers out there, mired in their cynicism and drudgery of playing games all day, get hit with the best the game has to offer right at the beginning. After they are left with the best first impressions possible, the gameplay slowly boils off to reveal that it's a bit shallower than it appeared going in, but that rarely reveals itself until well after a review needs to be pushed out the door.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying games like Skyrim are bad, nor am I saying reviewers are wrong, I just suggest that perhaps "front loading" is occuring within game presentation.

Put it in the form of a Venn Diagram.

Like with this:
iqCuJO66zKYYw.png

I just keep seeing this. Any excuse.

Salsa

While I haven't played Far Cry 3 yet so I can't agree or disagree, I would speculate that a kind of "out-of-the-gate" syndrome is going on.

By that I mean, games like Skyrim, where the first few hours are absolutely marvellous to play, so any reviewers out there, mired in their cynicism and drudgery of playing games all day, get hit with the best the game has to offer right at the beginning. After they are left with the best first impressions possible, the gameplay slowly boils off to reveal that it's a bit shallower than it appeared going in, but that rarely reveals itself until well after a review needs to be pushed out the door.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying games like Skyrim are bad, nor am I saying reviewers are wrong, I just suggest that perhaps "front loading" is occuring within game presentation.

not really, it's just the repetitiveness

it's like "oh man this is awesome cant wait to see what more I can do!"

"oh.. nothing"

games idea for "sidequests" is hilarious

even some of the main missions are ridiculous

in one mission I had to follow a guy without him seeing me

on a town

for a distance of like 10 meters

and the dude walked super slowly, and I had to follow behind him while crouching, trying to walk slower than him

you know, the things you love to do in videogames

You know how you can look back a generation or two ago and see all these massive flaws in the top-rated games of the time and wonder how anybody ever enjoyed them? This gen it seems like a lot of us feel that way a couple hours into most games.

It'd be nice to move on from this sort of thing.

Yeah, it'd be nice if developers figured out how to make games that don't overstay their welcome. Sadly most don't manage to do anything worth more than 3-4 hours.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Vocal minority is always so amazing. Far Cry 3 was a serious game of the year contender couple of months ago and now it's suddenly worthless. Your personal opinion may vary but there's very few places out there where the game wasn't in at least top 10 of 2012.

I'd say $30 is a fair price for the game but it was available for similar price even before release (though not as a Steam copy). The usual rule is, if you plan to play the game right away, go for it, otherwise wait for the next and better discount.
So? Nobody's asking how many GOTY lists did the game appear in. He's asking whether the game was worth $30 in our opinions.

Your "vocal minority" is just an euphemism for the mythical and equally stupid "GAF hivemind". Aren't people allowed to dislike games now, while others like it?

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
If you guys visited the Community forum more you'd notice the Monolithic Opinion Thread |OT| where GAF decides its opinion on all forms of media.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
If you guys visited the Community forum more you'd notice the Monolithic Opinion Thread |OT| where GAF decides its opinion on all forms of media.
Exactly. For example, The GAF Hivemind® says that Borderlands is a fantastic game, really fun with friends, and also enjoyable solo. And The GAF Hivemind® also says that Borderlands is a fucking terrible game, a disgusting piece of rotten meat that will ruin any PC or console it touches.

The only thing The GAF Hivemind® agrees on is that it loves to disagree with itself on everything. Even on the previous statement.

Far Cry 3 is a game with terrific potential that doesn't really deliver on any of its ambitions particularly well. It's certainly not a bad game and it definitely had its moments, but the lack of interesting and meaningful content to discover and explore makes it ultimately feel boring.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Exactly. For example, The GAF Hivemind® says that Borderlands is a fantastic game, really fun with friends, and also enjoyable solo. And The GAF Hivemind® also says that Borderlands is a fucking terrible game, a disgusting piece of rotten meat that will ruin any PC or console it touches.

The only thing The GAF Hivemind® agrees on is that it loves to disagree with itself on everything. Even on the previous statement.
We also all agree that Gearbox is like a shopping cart full of spent dicks and that they should probably be in prison.

Salsa

the worst thing about Far Cry 3 is how they closed the mod tools and all that just for multiplayer maps

imagine player-created SP islands

hey remember all the things you could do in far cry 3

like being forced to kill every assassination target with a takedown

or needing to go on hunts with specific weapons and staying within a specific zone

or needing to stay within arbitrary zones for the story missions

and people called far cry 2 repetitive, at least it let you take on situations as you saw fit

at least i could burn a pot field with dubstep blaring i guess, cowabunga

Dr Dogg

One of the best things about Far Cry 3 is the melee chain kills and takedowns. Shame you got to unlock most of them but to be fair it's also got its fair share of other UbiSoft 'Quirks'. There's more than 3 hours worth of fun to be had and the game, if you just do the story missions can last for around 14-20 hours but it comes in pockets. 1st hour is good followed by mind numbing missions and trivial characters. 1 in 4 missions is good and it does have one of the best side kick npc's in ages but I don't know if I'd want to spend £16 (double dipping as well) when it looks like summer sale fodder.

Dr Dogg

ah, yeah guess he was cool

I liked the rapist enemy, cause he straight up raped teenagers and was presented as such. That was interestingly weird and unexpected.

See when I was doing those tedious missions for him I thought the game was going meta or was all part of a dream with the fades to white and how he always turned up where the mission start was. Expecting a big pay off but nope, he's just going to to all Pulp Fiction on you and
your brother he's kidnapped to sell to the pirates.

Sober

the worst thing about Far Cry 3 is how they closed the mod tools and all that just for multiplayer maps

imagine player-created SP islands
Please, the map editor would be so pared down it would just be an island creator with sidequest generator (and we all know what Ubisoft open-world game sidequests involve, or rather, don't).

Kingdoms of Amalur is currently on sale via Steam?! Is this the first time this has happened? I am seeing a price of $14.99 from the Australian store front. Is it cheaper still in the US?

dani_dc

Kingdoms of Amalur is currently on sale via Steam?! Is this the first time this has happened? I am seeing a price of $14.99 from the Australian store front. Is it cheaper still in the US?

It is the first time it's on sale on Steam, it even got a price cut just today before the sale!
Game costs $15 on the US store as well.

It is the first time it's on sale on Steam, it even got a price cut just today before the sale!
Game costs $15 on the US store as well.
It was on sale a long long while ago, but it was still a lot.
Because of Tony, the Amazon rep who posts on the CAG forums.

I feel bad for having bought it right now through steam, but I just couldn't wait. I'm pretty sure this is the result of his legwork.

zychi

Banned
Ah, for how much? Steam version, right?

He's been "working on" getting amazon steam keys for the game. I don't trust that he will be getting the dlc too, so I just purchased it on sale at Steam. I'd much rather pay a few bucks more knowing itll be in my steam library instead of origin.

Abandond

He's been "working on" getting amazon steam keys for the game. I don't trust that he will be getting the dlc too, so I just purchased it on sale at Steam. I'd much rather pay a few bucks more knowing itll be in my steam library instead of origin.

Ah, ok. Well the sale has 17 hours left in it, I'll wait and see what Tony does.

Derrick01

Banned
lol No. Far Cry 2 is the most boring FPS I've ever played. Hell Crysis 1 is more thrilling that Far Cry 2 and random bouts of malaria.

We need more AAA games like Far Cry 2, on consoles at least. More focus on mechanics and management and less focus on setpieces and explosions and busywork side content.

derExperte

We need more AAA games like Far Cry 2, on consoles at least. More focus on mechanics and management and less focus on setpieces and explosions and busywork side content.

But FC2 was full of mindless busywork. Like the malaria pills, repairing cars by holding a button, picked up weapons detriorating very fast so you had to waste time getting them your stash, the whole buddy-system, driving from here to there and back over a map without content, fighting the same dudes. The list goes on, a collection of little boring things you had to do while the missions were lame and repetitive too. FC3 can't be worse, can it?

If you can get stealth, max it. If you can get a defense drone II, it's the only drone you'll ever need. Then all you need is like 60 missiles (preferably the ones that fire two at a time) and bombs, lots of bombs.

I disagree with almost everything. :D
1) Use Stealth at power level 1 against the boss, for reasons explained in the FTL thread (see below).
2) Do not rely on missiles or bombs. Expecting to have 60 missiles by the boss is a bit crazy (although I sell all my missiles and haven't played Easy in a while, so it might not be that hard, I guess).
3) Defense Drone 2 is actually inferior to 1 in some cases, especially in mixed barraged where it can be "distracted" by a laser and make you eat a missile (the entire reason for defense drones in the first place). Also, the energy cost (4, right) is way too much, particularly on Normal.

I also hope that the eventual sequel lets you commandeer ships that you kill the entire crew on. I mean, that's a perfectly good ship my mantis & rockman just murdered everybody on, so... why not?

That's something I had also thought of (although it misses the entire roguelike "arms race" point, unless you keep all of your upgrades and weapons), but I will be happy if there IS a sequel, frankly. With indie games, you never know, and it didn't seem like Subset Games were amazingly excited about making a sequel.

I kinda wish FTL had a free play mode, where you could just explore the galaxy without having a nigh-unbeatable end boss waiting for you.

You might enjoy this, then:
http://www.ftlgame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3542
I should try it sometime, but for me the game is just perfect the way it is, so...

Still, nigh-unbeatable? Are you guys playing on Normal or Easy? In any case, you might get some mileage out of these tips (drop by the thread as well):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45775649&postcount=1191
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=45834724&postcount=1221
I finish the game on Normal more than 50% of the time with most ships now, so I must be doing something right. :D

RedSwirl

There's a shitload on Steam right now. Took me a while to notice that Jet Set Radio is $2.50, and both Left 4 Dead games are actually on sale for $5 each.

Edit: As for FC3, I've actually enjoyed the game much more than most AAA games and definitely think it's worth $30. I felt fine paying $50 for it.

Mind you, in 20 hours I've barely touched the main quest missions and have been content to fuck around killing animals, wiping out bases, and enjoying all sorts of random events. I'm still on the first island.

I agree with Derrick that, at the very least, most western developers are at their best when they just build some mechanics and let players have fun with them, as opposed to guiding them through set pieces. Only like three western developers on the planet are any good at doing the latter. If the previews of Assassin's Creed IV turn out to be on the dot, then it seems Ubisoft might have figured this out. If only Clint could've worked on the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom