• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronoja

I get the horrid feeling that after buying KoA it's going to end up like Vampire: The Masquerade. And by that I mean a game that goes on sale after ages of never doing so, after which it appears every other week nearly at even greater discount.

So next week I fully expect to see KoA on sale for like £5.

Derrick01

Banned
So is Far Cry 3 worth $30?

Not even close. It's worth about $3 since that's how many hours it takes for the game to get stale and for you to realize just how empty that massive open world really is. Oh there's lots of icons on your map but in typical Ubisoft fashion they're all a waste of time. It may as well be a linear game because the main story missions, which are cut off from the open world in many cases, are the only parts worth playing.

Madridy

I get the horrid feeling that after buying KoA it's going to end up like Vampire: The Masquerade. And by that I mean a game that goes on sale after ages of never doing so, after which it appears every other week nearly at even greater discount.

So next week I fully expect to see KoA on sale for like £5.

I'm on the same boat. Also I've been burned by Vampire and still didn't even install it too.

One thing for sure is that I won't play KoA anytime within the next 6 months at least, but on the other hand it may never be on sale again.

Decisions. Decisions.

DTKT

So is Far Cry 3 worth $30?

I'd say no. It's a pretty game with an empty and boring world. You spend half of your time on fetch quests in two feet deep caves finding 10$ and collectibles. The AI is so easy to exploit that anything you do feels cheap.

I've never played a game as boring as Far Cry 3.

Decado

I'm on the same boat. Also I've been burned by Vampire and still didn't even install it too.

One thing for sure is that I won't play KoA anytime within the next 6 months at least, but on the other hand it may never be on sale again.

Decisions. Decisions.

I'm at least waiting until tomorrow in the hopes that GMG puts out another 20% code. Several indie games I want, too.

amrod

UwWHGG3.png

Nice speeds from steam lately

Chronoja

I'm at least waiting until tomorrow in the hopes that GMG puts out another 20% code. Several indie games I want, too.

The GMG version of KoA doesn't redeem on steam however (Maybe I'm wrong but only Origin is specified). Not a huge issue, but in a steam thread I'd imagine most people would be happier if it did.

Wunder

Is KoA worth $15? I actually have had it on my wishlist since it was $50 and didn't realize it was down to $30 and now $15. Very tempted to get it.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Do I buy or do I wait for Amazon. ARRGH.

So, do we wait for the Amazon deal on KoA or do we buy the Steam Version now?

Decisions, decisions...

Does anybody remember at what price KoA was on Amazon when it was on sale with no Steam keys? KOA is 3 bucks cheaper (with price conversion) from Amazon on Steam for me, so maybe this is a better deal.

Not even close. It's worth about $3 since that's how many hours it takes for the game to get stale and for you to realize just how empty that massive open world really is. Oh there's lots of icons on your map but in typical Ubisoft fashion they're all a waste of time. It may as well be a linear game because the main story missions, which are cut off from the open world in many cases, are the only parts worth playing.

For you, the value of a videogame is just $1 per hour?

To answer Forkball's question, I'd say that Far Cry 3 might not be worth $30 ($10-15 would be the right price). The first part is entertaining, but the game gets quite boring after some time. There certainly are better ways to spend your money.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Actually, Reddit has been talking about 10 or 12,50 bucks for the Complete Version (with all the DLCs) on Amazon a couple times. (No steam keys, obviously).

Maybe I should just wait...

Actually, Reddit has been talking about 10 or 12,50 bucks for the Complete Version (with all the DLCs) on Amazon a couple times. (No steam keys, obviously).

Maybe I should just wait...

I got KoA complete for 7.50 (i think) over christmas, I haven't played it yet but i have it on origin.

Phinor

Vocal minority is always so amazing. Far Cry 3 was a serious game of the year contender couple of months ago and now it's suddenly worthless. Your personal opinion may vary but there's very few places out there where the game wasn't in at least top 10 of 2012.

I'd say $30 is a fair price for the game but it was available for similar price even before release (though not as a Steam copy). The usual rule is, if you plan to play the game right away, go for it, otherwise wait for the next and better discount.

Grief.exe

You can add me on Steam and poke through my inventory if you'd like (my GAF homepage is set to my Steam Community profile, so you can access it just by clicking on my username).

Hey you can add an old steam account I used to have . I got a shit ton of tf2 stuff on there that you can't sell on the marketplace. I'm sure there's a scout hat or two in there . I only play heavy . Currently out now but pm me that your interested and ill send you y username

Added you on steam. What hat (vintage) do you want? I used to play pretty heavily but rarely touch the game so I sold off almost all of my TF2 inventory and have almost $100 in steam credit sitting around (and thats after buying an AoE2 4pack >.>). Name the hat and its yours :) I'll just buy it off the steam market for you.

Thanks for the offers guys! I'll get in contact with you when we have a chance.

Salsa

best run of FTL yet. Lost on the final form of the last boss, he had 2 bars left

I honestly think this game is mocking me

Salsa

kinda crazy how Kingdoms of Amalur strives to be the less interesting game of all time to me

Medieval fantasy setting - check
Generic WOW/Fable art style - check
Single-player MMO type of game - check

dont get me wrong I might like it if I try it, but ive never been as indifferent towards a game as this I think

you could show me one screenshot of the game and I could name like 5 different games without being sure wich one it is

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
kinda crazy how Kingdoms of Amalur strives to be the less interesting game of all time to me

Medieval setting - check

dont get me wrong I might like it if I try it, but ive never been as indifferent towards a game as this I think

It's a massive time sink, though. It's the kind of game you play for 30 hours over a single weekend while you're depressed on something.

Caerith

best run of FTL yet. Lost on the final form of the last boss, he had 2 bars left

I honestly think this game is mocking me
If you can get stealth, max it. If you can get a defense drone II, it's the only drone you'll ever need. Then all you need is like 60 missiles (preferably the ones that fire two at a time) and bombs, lots of bombs.

I kinda wish FTL had a free play mode, where you could just explore the galaxy without having a nigh-unbeatable end boss waiting for you. I also hope that the eventual sequel lets you commandeer ships that you kill the entire crew on. I mean, that's a perfectly good ship my mantis & rockman just murdered everybody on, so... why not?

Medieval setting - check

It's an odd one. It looks nice, there's plenty of loot, tons of quests, there's a nice combat system, even the voice acting is OK. And yet, it somehow manages to be less than the sum of its parts and just feels utterly bland and forgettable. I put about 10, 11 hours into it, and can't recall anything that gripped me.

Salsa

If you can get stealth, max it. If you can get a defense drone II, it's the only drone you'll ever need. Then all you need is like 60 missiles (preferably the ones that fire two at a time) and bombs, lots of bombs.

I kinda wish FTL had a free play mode, where you could just explore the galaxy without having a nigh-unbeatable end boss waiting for you. I also hope that the eventual sequel lets you commandeer ships that you kill the entire crew on. I mean, that's a perfectly good ship my mantis & rockman just murdered everybody on, so... why not?

I had all of this, except instead of missiles I foccused on drones since I was on the engi ship

I think the boss just threw me off with the multitasking. With each enemy leading up to it you can basically autofire and still win, the boss is the real part where you gotta pay attention to timing, switching energy to different things, etc. Game doesnt really lead you up to him, it just throws you in there.

Grief.exe

You know how you can look back a generation or two ago and see all these massive flaws in the top-rated games of the time and wonder how anybody ever enjoyed them? This gen it seems like a lot of us feel that way a couple hours into most games.

It'd be nice to move on from this sort of thing.

I think in retrospect, this generation is going to be viewed very poorly overall.

The only consistent trends we saw was the homogenization and overall dumbing down of games. Arguably making the medium worse overall.

With that said, Far Cry 3 look amazing and the PC port looks stellar. The only reason I haven't picked it up is because I have reservations about Uplay.

I am looking forward to picking it up down the line for cheaper, in fact it has been on the top of my wishlist since it came out.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Far Cry 3s best thing is taking over outposts and the interaction that can occur between animal, enemies, your own soldiers and yourself. The weapons are great and the crossbow was amazing. I wasn't a huge fan of the story, Jason and his friends were annoying arseholes and thought the island itself whilst being nice and sunny wasn't very interesting or atmospheric and just generally dull to explore. Maybe say worth $15 but I doubt I'll ever play it again tbh whilst I've put 200 - 300 hrs into Far Cry 2 (that's the last time I'll mention Far Cry 2, I read the Far Cry 2 threads before joining! :p )

By no means a terrible game but I was sad to see it get Ubisofted.

Salsa

Derrick is kinda spot on with the Far Cry 3 issues there (sans the $3 comment)

with emphasis on the fact that it's just empty, and really, really repetitive

the first few hours are damn great, but then there's a steady decline until the end. Gets kinda fun for a bit again once you get the wingsuit but the second island is so terrible that the fun quickly goes away.

I have made this graph to help you guys understand

jRJEx7jQlQD2i.png

xelios

Universal Access can be found under System Preferences
Lots of my friends picking up KoA. *thumbs up* Not the greatest RPG ever or even one of them, but I still loved it.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Just beat Mark of the Ninja and it was rad. Feels like an awesome Batman and Spider-Man side-scroller game at once. Guess I should check Shank one of these days even though it's not as good from what I read.

DTKT

Derrick is kinda spot on with the Far Cry 3 issues there (sans the $3 comment)

with emphasis on the fact that it's just empty, and really, really repetitive

the first few hours are damn great, but then there's a steady decline until the end. Gets kinda fun for a bit again once you get the wingsuit but the second island is so terrible that the fun quickly goes away.

I have made this graph to help you guys understand

jABeFZ0Aa6de2.png

That graph is eerily accurate. I stopped at 9 hours because I realized that hunting was boring, side stuff was a bunch of fetch quests,climbing radio towers was a dumb QTE, taking outposts was the same shit everytime, the crafting system is boring and doesn't reward experimentation and the story is just bland.

I can't figure out why reviewers rated it so high. Truly puzzling.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I just got an email alert from steam telling me that Kingdoms of Amalur is the daily deal. The base price was cut to $30, and the sale price is $15.

Fuck meeeeeee
Now this is unexpected. I thought Amazon would be the first to put the game on sale, and that Valve didn't care about it.

All the talk about this game made me interested in it, but I'm gonna pass for now. Amazon may have it at a cheaper price in the future.

How is Little Inferno? Thinking of getting it for my girlfriend

Also Rayman Origins local co-op, can you do controller and keyboard?
Little INferno is a very unique game, also do yourself a favor and don't search for opinions or information on it. Just play it and do so to the very end.
Just beat Mark of the Ninja and it was rad. Feels like an awesome Batman and Spider-Man side-scroller game at once. Guess I should check Shank one of these days even though it's not as good from what I read.

Mark of the Ninja, i considere it the best indie game of last year. Didn't got the recognition it deserved from the awards ceremonies and websites. It is something quite a bit more impresive than say... Walking Dead from a play mechanics perspective.

And yes, Shank is not that good. Although take my word with precaution because i can't stand Klei's art style, that tells you how great Mark is to get such high prise from this humble servant.

FAR CRY 3
Didn't we have the hope that the community will mod the game to improve the leveling system and the instant win radar. What happened to that? That's what im waiting for before dropping a single cent in that game. I wonder if the contingent saying how much greater was 3 in comparison to number 2 had a change of heart after the excitment levels had settle somewhat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom