• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

louiedog

Still hoping for a version of Mirror of Fate that doesn't run at 15 FPS *vomits*

15 fps is just an artistic statement to liken this game which is set in the past to old hand cranked film reels. It gives it a more nickelodeon* feel.

*the movie houses from 100 years ago, not the network

Top 10 last week: http://www.bluesnews.com/s/148944/steam-top-10

I think that's the 9th consecutive week DayZ is first -- since it launched. If we weren't lazy we could have a good picture of how many weekly units it takes to be on that spot using the game's site counter.

FYI, Steam's "Top Sellers" list is based on revenue, not units sold. That's why things like 17% of CoD: Ghosts can sneak up there, because each copy is worth 6x some indie game.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
FYI, Steam's "Top Sellers" list is based on revenue, not units sold. That's why things like 17% of CoD: Ghosts can sneak up there, because each copy is worth 6x some indie game.

Yeah, but even so it's possible to get a rough idea of sales. For example, if DayZ' player number were to increase by 100k by this time next week, but the game fell to #2 due to Rust, we'd know it'd sold somewhere around that on Steam (the game also being sold on the official site muddies the waters a bit), which would represent ~$3m in revenue, allowing us to deduce that Rust probably sold at least ~150k copies; similarly, if DayZ were to remain on the top spot, we could then safely assume that Rust probably sold less than ~150k copies. Having said that, however, any items that were temporarily discounted during the week would complicate extrapolation.

Edit: I've fixed this post up about a million times now (not the maths, but, uh, everything else). This is why you don't post on the internet at 3am. :p

Tellaerin

RE4 and 5 are much better games (maybe even 6 combat-wise), and I've played them 3-4 times each. DS3 is just about having waves of enemies chucked at you, a limited weapon selection compared to than prior games, and terribly placed checkpoints. Not unplayable, but there's no finesse like in RE.

Wasn't DS3 supposed to be the one that lets you create your own custom weapons, though?

Man, I'd love to have Rise of Nations and more importantly Rise of Legends on Steam. Jase, please write an email or two and make it happen.

Call of duty i give you , but i do not see why the other 2 do not belong together since they are both action games.

That's a very broad use of the term action. An action game for me, currently, is what others label as character action. Variety of weapons with long combo strings and a focus on combat. The Batman games are tricky and I'm not sure where to classify them, but I know they're not what I consider character action. I've sort of lumped them in with Assassin's Creed, Hitman, and a bunch of others where the focus seems to be on stealth rather than combat. I still don't feel great about that classification, but it's better than lumping it in with the other character action games.

I liked 1 but my friend borrowed my HD collection while I was in the middle of 2 and never returned it. I'm going to make a call now since it's been 3 years.

Many people consider GoW2 to be the best of the series. It's a shame you never got to finish it. Get on that!
And I'd recommend Castlevania for $5, especially if it's free card money you're buying it with. It's got a lot of problems, but there's a decent game underneath them all.

Wasn't DS3 supposed to be the one that lets you create your own custom weapons, though?

It does... and you can just create the standard weapons from previous games if you so desire.

DS3 is a lot like RE6. It focuses on combat and becomes more "action horror" than "survival horror" but at it's core, I found it to be a decent game overall. I had a bunch of fun with a random co-op partner and ran through the game several times with him and had a blast doing it.

IIRC, in previous DS games, you could hold three weapons at once, each possibly with a secondary attack. (So up to six attacks total) In DS3, you hold two customizable weapons, each with up to two separate attacks. (So up to four total) Also reloading in DS3 causes you to throw out the rest of your clip.

Or am I remembering it wrong?

I don't know about the throwing your clip out -- I don't remember that part clearly but as far as the crafting goes, 2 weapons never felt like too little, mostly because instead of having 3 weapons where you may not give a damn about the alt-fire, you could custom build your two favorite weapons into a single gun. I used to carry a line gun just for the mine alt fire in my DS2 hardcore run. Took up a whole weapon slot. In DS3, I just built that type of fire into one of my weapons as the alt fire.

rtcn63

IIRC, in previous DS games, you could hold three weapons at once, each possibly with a secondary attack. (So up to six attacks total) In DS3, you hold two customizable weapons, each with up to two separate attacks. (So up to four total) Also reloading in DS3 causes you to throw out the rest of your clip.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered

-DS1/2 had 4 weapons you could carry at once.
-Reloading does not use up the rest of a clip.
-Using anything other than the default weapon in any of the games was lame.

Anybody knows how much time there is left until Grief's ban is lifted ? I think he is/was supposed to do the RE4HD official thread.

Less than 2 weeks.

-DS1/2 had 4 weapons you could carry at once.
-Reloading does not use up the rest of a clip.
-Using anything other than the default weapon in any of the games was lame.

Using the plasma cutter in the original DS was great. In some sections of DS2, they made the new enemies much easier to deal with if you carried another weapon with you. I don't even want to imagine my hardcore run without that line gun alt fire.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Man, I'd love to have Rise of Nations and more importantly Rise of Legends on Steam. Jase, please write an email or two and make it happen.

Haha, unfortunately my powers of persuasion can't overcome legal barriers/agreement stalemates. ;)

And, I'm done with Arkham Asylum. The final boss battle was surprisingly easy when you compare it with the shit they threw at you before. It's like Rocksteady went "Dude, we know. We're sorry."

HoosTrax

And, I'm done with Arkham Asylum. The final boss battle was surprisingly easy when you compare it with the shit they threw at you before. It's like Rocksteady went "Dude, we know. We're sorry."
Are the [Steam] achievements they added to the game working now? Been thinking about finally playing through Bioshock and giving AA another go once those achievements are activated.

The Dota 2 peak is crazy as well. I need to try playing that game lol
If you have the time to put into it, I believe it's one of the most rewarding experiences out there in video games. Yep it's pretty complicated, yep you're going to spend tons of time sucking terribly. But when it actually all clicks... man is it satisfying. Like nothing else.

So yes I encourage everyone to at least give it a shot and have some patience. It's not for everyone of course, but throw a couple hours into and when you start to see it all come together you really realize how deep that rabbit hole goes and you can at least respect it.

Anteater

more like "who cares let's just toss in more henchmen instead of designing a boss!"

Bucca

Fools are always so certain of themselves, but wiser men so full of doubts.
Is there any reason to buy Stick of Truth on the PC vs. the console versions?

Legit torn between console and PC.

Sober

Daily Castlevania Ultimate Edition 75% off
I started playing it after buying it from the Xmas sale and the first two chapters feel like a chore. Although to be fair I am playing it right before I am drop dead tired so maybe I'm not really being fair, but it is sort of boring except Patrick Stewart. Also unless it picks up later it feels like it's also a waste of Robert Carlyle's talents.

Turfster

I started playing it after buying it from the Xmas sale and the first two chapters feel like a chore. Although to be fair I am playing it right before I am drop dead tired so maybe I'm not really being fair, but it is sort of boring except Patrick Stewart. Also unless it picks up later it feels like it's also a waste of Robert Carlyle's talents.

Nope, it's not just you. Everyone feels like that about the game.

Anteater

that's the great thing about PC gaming though

you can make your games look as shitty as you want as long as you lack the money

VBmjhVD.jpg

The first 30-40 minutes or so is unfortunately the absolute worst. Stick it out. It gets better.

Evrain

The first 30-40 minutes or so is unfortunately the absolute worst. Stick it out. It gets better.
Personally, I took the first levels exactly as what they are - a tutorial.
As much as MercurySteam did their best (and indeed delivered), I never expectedthem to have the same knowledge as, say, Ready at Dawn. yes, the pacing is slow, but it's Castlevania, not GoW...

Turfster

The mehfest lasts well past 40 minutes, though.
I think the last time I tried to play, I gave up after uh... the spider puzzle temple door thing, which is a couple hours in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom