• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
I finished the main game in Eldritch the other day, and that game is a good time.

header_292x136.jpg

I dig how it lays out everything from the start, and just hangs out until you learn it's rules. I haven't played many roguelike/immersive sim games, but Eldritch seems like a nice entry point, in that it's not score based, and is pretty self contained. Levels are procedurally generated, but work from established tile sets that lead to familiar feeling levels, which also eases a new player like me along nicely. It never feels unfair.

I really enjoyed my time with it, and am going to dive into the DLC while it's still fresh in my mind. You guys should check it out though.

The first 30-40 minutes or so is unfortunately the absolute worst. Stick it out. It gets better.

I played Castlevania: Lament of Shadows for about three hours before I gave up, so I guess I'll just go ahead and disagree. Castlevania: Lord of Shadows is a game without an identity, it apes other games, chiefly God of War, but it doesn't do it exceedingly well. LoS doesn't take and make these aped mechanics its own thing, LoS just feels like a poor man's version of what it's copying. I don't really see how this game is considered to be any better than Lament of Innocence or that second forgettable 3D 'Vania that came out on the PS2.

Tenrius

Just finished Arkham Origins. What a damn disappointment that game is.

That makes six games I've finished this year. Doing pretty good.

Backlogger

I wish Alpha Protocol would go back on sale for $2.

That was a long time ago wasn't it? That was one of my first Steam games (though I don't really remember buying it). I had just started using Steam, I think my brother had sent me a key for something that required it and I remember him telling me to buy it because it was so cheap. Now I have almost 700 games on Steam. I blame him for all of this.

Sajjaja

That was a long time ago wasn't it? That was one of my first Steam games (though I don't really remember buying it). I had just started using Steam, I think my brother had sent me a key for something that required it and I remember him telling me to buy it because it was so cheap. Now I have almost 700 games on Steam. I blame him for all of this.

Yeah, it was a few years back. Back then I didn't mind not having games on Steam so I didn't buy it since I have it retail. But....my library.....it hungers....for more.

Firebrand

dontbelievehislies.jpg

The combat is infuriatingly meh, and the "after a few hours" seems to drag on forever, since I got about halfway through chapter 2 and was still not having any fun.
Not that I think it's reasonable that the player is expected to invest several hours before the fun arrives, but I'd say the game didn't really click with me until around chapter 4. Until then, you don't really have a lot of combos or gadgets to play with and the enemies are mostly goblins and various species of furry. There's also some story exposition at the end of chapter 3 that got me a bit more interested in the story (even though I've had the ending spoiled for me by the LoS2 trailer).

The environments are gorgeous, which just makes it more frustrating that the actual level layout is for the most part very linear with very little opportunity to explore on your own. Of course, they look rather open, so there's instead invisible walls everywhere. There's no real rhyme or reason to what you can interact with or explore, and what you can't. Just gotta go bump your into everything if you want to find the treasure. Can you climb that ledge? Can you jump onto that waist-high platform? Maybe. Probably not.

I really liked the IGAvanias so I wasn't exactly thrilled at first when I learned about this game, but yes, now I've gotten around to playing it I'm actually quite enjoying it. It's not terrible, it's not great. 11/10 IGNs.

The_Monk

I just finished Call of Juarez Gunslinger fellow GAFfers:

y47KB8C.png

First of all, note that the time and achievements above are regarding the base Story mode without looking for any of the collectibles and one play through of each part of the Arcade mode as well (there are 10 available).

The story of this game feels pretty nice. Not only because you are playing the Story as it is being told but how the Story is told. Because you are narrating your own story, sometimes you need to rewind to make the Story accurate in case you mess up or your listeners say something "is that how it really happened?". While the Story is not necessary big I guess you can extend it by looking through all the collectibles or by increasing the difficulty. As for my play through, the things that always took me more time to do were the duels, usually in the end of each Chapter. You need to pay attention to your focus on the target as well you speed to draw your revolver. This is a very clever idea and it really gives you a tense moment showing some good old West one-on-one combat.

The visuals are really nice. Every now and then I had to stop for a bit after the killing to enjoy the scenery. It's not only the visuals that grabbed my time but the attention to the little details made playing this game a even more enjoyable experience. You can see that they put some time to make the city, the lake or the forest just like it was supposed to be back then. In my opinion they nailed in the setting.

I always enjoyed the West duels and this time of the year in the History. The duels show how honor was something important back then and I grew more fond of these weapons (revolver) in games. However, I must admit, before finishing this game I finished Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater HD and if your memory is fresh about the Ocelot character then you can see what I'm talking about when it comes to admire these weapons in games:

In the end it was a good game and the thing that stands out the most is not the Story but how it is told. I thought it was pretty clever pushing your way while hearing your own voice, aiming for head shots in slow motion and throwing some dynamite. Oh and when you make a clean kill and blow the fumes from the pipe of your revolver? Priceless.

I might come back to find the rest of my collectibles or to get a better score in Arcade Mode but for now it is a 1+ Cleared game and -1 game in my Backlog. For reference I played Call of Juarez bound in blood and never touch on the Cartel one. I think I'm not missing much playing only 2 out of 3 Call of Juarez games but I could be wrong. *

As always, apologies for my lack of a better/proper English/grammar vocabulary.

DukeBobby

Finally decided to play some of the Metro: Last Light DLC, despite having them all for ages.

Eh, it's hit and miss. Some good stuff (The Library, Sniper and Khan missions), but also some shitty stuff (Heavy Squad, Tower pack).

Still, it's good to see a developer make some single player DLC.

Crub

Why the hell is Lords of Shadow's performance so poor on my 560ti? :(

Even putting everything on the lowest settings, having no aa, no af and shadows, it will dip below 60 in the most intense fight scenes, even though it's above 100 for the most part. Fuck this shit. =/

JustinBB7

Long shot but does anybody perhaps have a spare copy of Deus Ex 2 in their inventory? It was on sale a few days ago but I only bought 1 and HR. I know 2 isn't as good but since it's not that long I might as well play it to get the entire series done.

I just finished Call of Juarez Gunslinger fellow GAFfers
Ah! I see what ending you went for
you softy. :D Okay, I admit, I did the same thing my first playthrough.

I also enjoyed how they played around with situations because of how the storytelling worked out. The game just having generally fun shooting was also good, I always enjoy a nice revolver-toting cowboy shooty bang bang game.

Long shot but does anybody perhaps have a spare copy of Deus Ex 2 in their inventory? It was on sale a few days ago but I only bought 1 and HR. I know 2 isn't as good but since it's not that long I might as well play it to get the entire series done.

I know people often say "don't even play ____" a lot, but, just from what I've seen and read about Deus Ex and the differences in Deus Ex: IW (including the story), you might actually be better off not playing it. It apparently sours some of the storyline on top of limiting the game's scope/options to a disgustingly low level.

Nabs

I just finished Call of Juarez Gunslinger fellow GAFfers:

y47KB8C.png

First of all, note that the time and achievements above are regarding the base Story mode without looking for any of the collectibles and one play through of each part of the Arcade mode as well (there are 10 available).

The story of this game feels pretty nice. Not only because you are playing the Story as it is being told but how the Story is told. Because you are narrating your own story, sometimes you need to rewind to make the Story accurate in case you mess up or your listeners say something "is that how it really happened?". While the Story is not necessary big I guess you can extend it by looking through all the collectibles or by increasing the difficulty. As for my play through, the things that always took me more time to do were the duels, usually in the end of each Chapter. You need to pay attention to your focus on the target as well you speed to draw your revolver. This is a very clever idea and it really gives you a tense moment showing some good old West one-on-one combat.

The visuals are really nice. Every now and then I had to stop for a bit after the killing to enjoy the scenery. It's not only the visuals that grabbed my time but the attention to the little details made playing this game a even more enjoyable experience. You can see that they put some time to make the city, the lake or the forest just like it was supposed to be back then. In my opinion they nailed in the setting.

I always enjoyed the West duels and this time of the year in the History. The duels show how honor was something important back then and I grew more fond of these weapons (revolver) in games. However, I must admit, before finishing this game I finished Metal Gear Solid 3 Snake Eater HD and if your memory is fresh about the Ocelot character then you can see what I'm talking about when it comes to admire these weapons in games:

In the end it was a good game and the thing that stands out the most is not the Story but how it is told. I thought it was pretty clever pushing your way while hearing your own voice, aiming for head shots in slow motion and throwing some dynamite. Oh and when you make a clean kill and blow the fumes from the pipe of your revolver? Priceless.

I might come back to find the rest of my collectibles or to get a better score in Arcade Mode but for now it is a 1+ Cleared game and -1 game in my Backlog. For reference I played Call of Juarez bound in blood and never touch on the Cartel one. I think I'm not missing much playing only 2 out of 3 Call of Juarez games but I could be wrong. *

As always, apologies for my lack of a better/proper English/grammar vocabulary.

Nice review. Keep 'em coming.

Thorgal

That's a very broad use of the term action. An action game for me, currently, is what others label as character action. Variety of weapons with long combo strings and a focus on combat. The Batman games are tricky and I'm not sure where to classify them, but I know they're not what I consider character action. I've sort of lumped them in with Assassin's Creed, Hitman, and a bunch of others where the focus seems to be on stealth rather than combat. I still don't feel great about that classification, but it's better than lumping it in with the other character action games.

I can agree to that but for simplicity's sake i toss those games in the Greater action genre .

Games like assassin's creed and batman are indeed more difficult to stick an encompassing genre on because both have Sandbox /stealth /action mixed into one .
Hitman leans more to the stealth then the action side.

for myself, i would define those games on what most of the time i am doing in the game .

So in this case i would put Hitman in the stealth genre while putting games like Batman and AC into the action genre because you fight most of the time in those games with stealth coming second .

Caerith

I can agree to that but for simplicity's sake i toss those games in the Greater action genre .

Games like assassin's creed and batman are indeed more difficult to stick an encompassing genre on because both have Sandbox /stealth /action mixed into one .
Hitman leans more to the stealth then the action side.

for myself, i would define those games on what most of the time i am doing in the game .

So in this case i would put Hitman in the stealth genre while putting games like Batman and AC into the action genre because you fight most of the time in those games with stealth coming second .

I put Hitman in the puzzle genre.

Invisible War features the ability to toss around the ragdoll unconscious/dead bodies of people like the Hulk, while the original and Human Revolution do not. It's worth playing.

At least, when the barriers are near non-existent when it's on sale. I think it's worth picking up if you enjoyed the other games in the series -- both as something else to play within it, and just to form your own opinions on it. The game does a lot of things wrong, but it also holds truer to the original than Human Revolution does in a number of ways. I think no matter where you end up falling on it, you'll probably have an interesting experience playing through it if you played one or both of the other games.

Leckan

Is anyone else steam changed from € to £? What the hell is this and why?

Greenman-gaming did the same and I haven't bothered with them since.

I live in Sweden if that helps.

The_Monk

Ah! I see what ending you went for
you softy. :D Okay, I admit, I did the same thing my first playthrough.

I also enjoyed how they played around with situations because of how the storytelling worked out. The game just having generally fun shooting was also good, I always enjoy a nice revolver-toting cowboy shooty bang bang game.

I did what I had to do, glad only those who played the game know what those Achievements mean. ;) And yes I agree with you regarding Storytelling.

Nice review. Keep 'em coming.

Thanks a lot Nabs. :)

JustinBB7

Invisible War features the ability to toss around the ragdoll unconscious/dead bodies of people like the Hulk, while the original and Human Revolution do not. It's worth playing.

At least, when the barriers are near non-existent when it's on sale. I think it's worth picking up if you enjoyed the other games in the series -- both as something else to play within it, and just to form your own opinions on it. The game does a lot of things wrong, but it also holds truer to the original than Human Revolution does in a number of ways. I think no matter where you end up falling on it, you'll probably have an interesting experience playing through it if you played one or both of the other games.

Yea I just want the complete series really. I have the time, I'm not THAT invested into the series yet, I only played 1 so far. So for completion sake I'd play it.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
8D...

Actually... I didn't know that until just right now, and I've been earning cards, making badges, and selling cards for a while.

Holy hell, that makes some of these so much cooler!

Like THIS card:

240fx240f

Turns into THIS:

Or THIS card:

Eversion_Foil_3.png

Turns into THIS:

That's pretty cool.
Eversion is such a good game. Totally worth trying, I really enjoyed it.

In what ways is Invisible War truer to the original Deus Ex over Human Revolution? Arguably the only real flaws in HR are the boss encounters simply because they do not have the flexibility of how you can approach them but that was partially remedied in the Directors Cut.

IW is a deeply flawed game, about the only thing it has over its predecessor is it looks a bit prettier, that's about it. Everything else in IW was compromised both by design, meant to appeal to a broader audience by simplifying many aspects, and the hardware limitations of the original Xbox.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
still no Oniken key from indiegala Summertide :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom