• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
In what ways is Invisible War truer to the original Deus Ex over Human Revolution? Arguably the only real flaws in HR are the boss encounters simply because they do not have the flexibility of how you can approach them but that was partially remedied in the Directors Cut.

IW is a deeply flawed game, about the only thing it has over its predecessor is it looks a bit prettier, that's about it. Everything else in IW was compromised both by design, meant to appeal to a broader audience by simplifying many aspects, and the hardware limitations of the original Xbox.
It had actual melee combat, aug slots still offered mutually exclusive choices, lockpicking and hacking were still separate, the environments still featured a lot of miscellaneous props that you could pick up and move around, just stuff like that. It just had some things both big and small that contributed more to feeling inspired from the original, although being much worse.

Feep

Banned
So I just got:

0Vi6vuk.png

Thank you based Feep. I promise that after I finished idling for cards I'll finally finish your game :p
I definitely, *definitely* made that happen.

allansm

The first 30-40 minutes or so is unfortunately the absolute worst. Stick it out. It gets better.

It takes more than 30-40 minutes to get better. In my opinion it only starts to get better in chapter 4 and that's like 4-5 hours into the game (of a total of around 18 hours). If it wasn't for the review on Rock Paper Shotgun that mentioned the game became good after about 6 hours I would have given up after the first couple of chapters.

It takes more than 30-40 minutes to get better. In my opinion it only starts to get better in chapter 4 and that's like 4-5 hours into the game (of a total of around 18 hours). If it wasn't for the review on Rock Paper Shotgun that mentioned the game became good after about 6 hours I would have given up after the first couple of chapters.

It depends on how long it takes you to move through chapter 2 -- once you hit chapter 3, it picks up considerably and after beating the first major boss and moving to chapter 4 it really hits its stride.

Like any God of War type game, the beginning is usually slow and takes a bit of investment before it picks up because you start out with just about no skills or abilities and it takes awhile to beat a couple stages/bosses and gain some of the more interesting stuff.

I'm screwing around with a PC playthrough when I feel so inclined and I just beat chapter 3 last night... once you get those boots and the stage shifts to 4-1... it's a lot more fun.. even going back to earlier stages to pick up relics and do trials is better once you're powered up.

Turfster

Oh. Now I remember why I stopped playing Castlevania. It saved me with one sliver of health before a long cutscene, after which you immediately get attacked by one of those fucking big werewolves, that instakills me every fucking time.

Oh. Now I remember why I stopped playing Castlevania. It saved me with one sliver of health before a long cutscene, after which you immediately get attacked by one of those fucking big werewolves, that instakills me every fucking time.
You should be coming back with around 1/3-1/2 of your health after you die though. Unless that only happened with bosses. . .

Turfster

You should be coming back with around 1/3-1/2 of your health after you die though. Unless that only happened with bosses. . .

Welp, I got past that fight... only to be stuck in another fight against a big troll and 20 little ones on a piece of land the size of a lady's handkerchief not 5 feet further... after another shit cutscene right after the checkpoint. I'm done. This is shit design.
And yes, after I finally got past that werewolf fight, it restarts me with half health.
Guess the savegame was fucked.

Megasoum

Banned
There's a 25% off coupon if you are subscribed to their newsletter.

I am subscribed to GMG's newsletter and yet I NEVER received their offers...or any emails really... This pisses me off so much. I had to ask my friend to buy Titanfall for me since I never got my code andhe wasn't planning on using it.

When I check my settings on the site the checkbox for the mail is always blank... If I check it and save then I receive an email telling me that I'm Subscribed the box is still empty when I go back to the site. And I never receive mails.

I'm pretty surprised games still put you in that situation in this day and age.

Turfster

I'm pretty surprised games still put you in that situation in this day and age.
You know that second fight against the cave troll? If you skip the stupid "you grappled up and rolled over the ground in this cinematic" thing, it insta-starts you in yet another fucking "bash this button 50000000 times for INTERACTIVITY" bullshit.

rtcn63

You know that second fight against the cave troll? If you skip the stupid "you grappled up and rolled over the ground in this cinematic" thing, it insta-starts you in yet another fucking "bash this button 50000000 times for INTERACTIVITY" bullshit.

That's called immersion bro

Turfster

I just got to Chapter 2 in Castlevania, sure hope this gets better.

Nope, sorry. I'm still in chapter 2, after putting the game aside for over a month.

I didn't think so and thought it was real bad, but others here have said it does. Continue on since you spent the money, I suppose.

Yeah, that's why I'm banging my head against the wall here.
I paid more for this than I would have if I'd known it would be this bad.

Dr Dogg

Amazing how not posting on GAF for the majority of the weekend I've managed to crank out Castlevania (bizarrely now in a daily), Enslaved and Remember Me. 6 down for the year so far (with about 38 bought so the backlogs fucked either way).

Edit: Just about to see how much I need to do in DmC when I've noticed without vsync on in the menu I'm getting 656fps!!! If only 10 more.

I just got to Chapter 2 in Castlevania, sure hope this gets better.

After chapter 2 it gets a lot better. The second one really drags it's heels and could have done with being cut down.

Nabs

I could only take 2 hours of Castlevania. I'm just happy I didn't fall for the hype. I'm sure it gets better, but I have other things to play.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Oh people who are actually good at Spelunky, tell me how not to instantly antagonise shopkeepers who stand by the exit and kill me evrytime simply for being around.

I can understand the ones in the shops hating me after I whip them and shoot them with their own shotgun, but not the ones just out for a subterranean constitutional I've done nothing to.

Turfster

Oh people who are actually good at Spelunky, tell me how not to instantly antagonise shopkeepers who stand by the exit and kill me evrytime simply for being around.

I can understand the ones in the shops hating me after I whip them and shoot them with their own shotgun, but not the ones just out for a subterranean constitutional I've done nothing to.

You killed their twin brother.
They are out for your blood.
(The walking shopkeepers only spawn if you've attacked/hurt a shopkeeper by accident in one of the previous levels)

As someone who liked Castlevania: Lords of Shadow I really gotta agree that the game has several problems with its pacing and filler. Some of the chapters, especially the early ones, are rather tedious and could have been cut without losing anything substantial. I know, quiet time is important but it was the boring kind of quiet.

That's actually what I refer to it as, since it's a game that focuses on stealth in crowds rather than obstructing vision and remaining silent.

I know Absolution had it but were you able to hide in crowds in the earlier games? I honestly don't remember.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol

Unfortunately that just happens sometimes. There have been a few times where I've entered a level and almost immediately, a shopkeeper somewhere way off screen will go nuts, presumably because an enemy hit them (I guess? Can enemies hurt shopkeepers? I've always assumed they can.). That's the thing with shopkeepers. If they take any damage at all, from anything, they're out for your blood.

Spelunky is a fantastic game, but it can occasionally be unfair due to the random generation.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and if you piss off one shopkeeper, ALL shopkeepers will go after you for the remainder of your run. So keep that in mind too.

mrgone

They only stand by the exit after you've pissed them off, which means they're automatically in kill all humans mode. The nice thing is that their vision range is pretty limited, so if you can attack them from the side they're much easier than if they're in a shop. If you have to fight them from above you can either drop bombs until they're dead, or say a quick prayer and try to drop directly onto the doorway and exit before the pellets hit you :) Ropes aren't a bad idea in either situation, but they can shotgun jump (they'll occasionally jump much higher than usual) so be careful about your relative heights.

Turfster

As someone who liked Castlevania: Lords of Shadow I really gotta agree that the game has several problems with its pacing and filler. Some of the chapters, especially the early ones, are rather tedious and could have been cut without losing anything substantial. I know, quiet time is important but it was the boring kind of quiet.
I have nothing against quiet time in platformers/character action games.
Hell, I like quiet time.
What I don't like is shitty enemy encounter after shitty enemy encounter that are all exactly the same except for a different mesh.

That was one thing I really didn't like about Lord of Shadows, it aped God of War in so many ways but failed to match the continuous, unbroken experience. You spend nearly as much time watching cutscenes and loading screens as you do playing Lord of Shadows.

That was one thing I really didn't like about Lord of Shadows, it aped God of War in so many ways but failed to match the continuous, unbroken experience. You spend nearly as much time watching cutscenes and loading screens as you do playing Lord of Shadows.

That is pretty much how I felt about it. God of War isn't that different at its core, but it never gives you that chance to think "what am I playing and do I really want to be playing this?"

Those are dangerous thoughts for any game.

Turfster

Okay, now I'm really out.
I got to Agharta, which has the "oooh, it's a maze!" conceit, but I killed the Warg, which is the only way to jump a broken bridge, too early, because I figured I was done with it. Of course there's another broken bridge further you can only jump with a Warg, and I can't make another one spawn because it checkpointed me in a side passage after the jump.

Fuck you mercurysteam. After Jericho and Scrapland, I am now officially done with your broken ass games.

I have nothing against quiet time in platformers/character action games.
Hell, I like quiet time.
What I don't like is shitty enemy encounter after shitty enemy encounter that are all exactly the same except for a different mesh.

I think LOS issues largely stem from the fact that it tries to be this epic, cinematic adventure but the underlying structure is closer to character action games like Devil May Cry. Like revisiting levels/chapters with new powers to unlock stuff or the killroom enemy encounters. It is a bit confused about what it tries to be.

DocSeuss

I know Absolution had it but were you able to hide in crowds in the earlier games? I honestly don't remember.

Think about it in terms of more than just that. You could, for instance, wear disguises in the earlier games that helped you out. That's a kind of social stealth; you're hiding through interaction, rather than through cutting line of sight.

So how's Jets'n'Guns Gold as a shmup? Is it a good deal?

My shmup-fan friend loves it.

DocSeuss

So I just tried Party of Sin, which came in some bundle I grabbed for some reason.

It's so bad that my character is facing left, and nothing seems capable of making him face to the right, so his charge attack can't actually, like, help him progress through the wreckage and through, y'know, the game. I'm literally stuck in the very first sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom