• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jusoni

Here's some spare keys I got laying around. Enjoy!
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Sang Froid Tales of werewolves -- MB-5E6D95C01DDF2C8B - Taken by Zeliard. 9 entrants total.
Interstellar marines -- MB-F0462D2135A6B427 - Taken by Blitzhex. 4 entrants total.
Dust An Elysian Tail -- MB-733122F58FD6CD99 - Taken by FOX_. 1 entrants total.
Guacamelee -- MB-D88E9283EEA9E7D9 - Taken by Levyne. 1 entrants total.

t1393048967z1.png

Rayman Origins Giveaway
A classic in my eyes. Worth every penny.

Yes it is.
Good show.

just think of it as a 15buck game that youll stop when you "finish" (aka get to the lvl cap and finish the story) like any other game.

hell youll probably get more out of those 15 bucks even if you dont resub that 99% of any other 15 buck game you can buy

You jerks are going to convince me to buy it too, aren't you?

--

Someone over on CAG asked me why I didn't like Strider. I ended up typing up a bunch of my thoughts on it... so I'll repost them over here for you guys too:

CAG_Poster said:
Frost, what don't you like about Strider?

Pretty much everything? It's a 6/10 at best, IMO.
I've 100% it now and my biggest complaints are the following:
  • Enemy variety is severely lacking. Everything is the same soldier... only some of them have shields that need a charge attack or some of them jumped out of DmC and you need to color code them to get rid of the shield first.
  • Aside from a few poorly designed sections, the game offers just about no difficulty. A couple of the boss fights on hard can be aggravating, but it's not cause they're legitimately challenging... which leads into my main complaint.
  • The combat is meaningless. The original games had a set level pattern and even if enemies kept spawning, it fit the style of the game. Without a leveling system or a currency system or some actual reason to kill enemies, it all feels like a giant trash mob, especially with the lack of variety I mentioned above. Apparently you can launch the soldiers in the air, but I never really found an effective use for it, so I played the game as if the Y button didn't exist. The combat just feels empty and pointless. I had this feeling like when I hit the level cap in Fallout 3 and combat had gone from exciting and rewarding to just being a nuisance that was in the way of me getting to my next objective. Without the reward of EXP, there was no real reason to fight. And that's kind of how this is... especially since it's so repetitive.
  • I have no idea what they were doing with the story or the level of polish on the game. I love it when a game pays attention to detail, like Lords of Shadow -- as you gain subweapons, Gabriel's belt has more pouches and such... Hiryu on the other hand has 3 kunai on his back from the start of the game and yet you can't use kunai to open locked doors until you're at least 40% of the way through the game. The voice overs are terrible and the whole dialogue/cutscene design follows suit from the fact that nobody can move their mouth to the strangely "animated" portraits on the text boxes.
  • The game is ridiculously short. I just finished it in 2:45 and could've been done in about 2:30 or less if I hadn't gone for a few extra upgrades to make the last fight easier.

I remember when I was a kid, I found out there was a Strider game on the NES and I thought it was the arcade game. My parents got it for me on some occasion and I remember the disappointment when it wasn't the same game. However, I stuck with it, cause it was the only new game I had, and that game turned out to be pretty amazing, even if it wasn't what I envisioned and was expecting. This on the other hand, it just doesn't deliver for me.

So it turns out Foils are like buses, wait months for one and then two turn up in a row!

9snmktU.jpg

Ok, what did you sacrifice to the great Gaben to earn such favor?

just think of it as a 15buck game that youll stop when you "finish" (aka get to the lvl cap and finish the story) like any other game.

hell youll probably get more out of those 15 bucks even if you dont resub that 99% of any other 15 buck game you can buy
to touch up on this

as with any mmo you'll feel in a way pressured to play to get the most out of your subscription fee or least i felt that way(in general having played a mmo in the past) so just know what you're getting to

Dupy

"it is in giving that we receive"
Alpha Protocol Giveaway
Demo seemed cool.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Alpha Protocol #1 -- MB-4454399E52C2C85A - Taken by NingenJanai. 6 entrants total.
Alpha Protocol #2 -- MB-090A54F4BD0C36F9 - Taken by sheaaaa. 7 entrants total.
Alpha Protocol #3 -- MB-9A9055C93EDAB2BD - Taken by gwynplaine. 4 entrants total.

t1393049507z1.png

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
Oh man, $2.50 for HAWX or original Splinter Cell or a Ghost Recon... so tempted...

dxhc99

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible

Raiden Legacy: The Return (Desura) -- MB-FD62B632C4C05866 - Taken by Seagoon
Hero of the Kingdom -- MB-A9E4B4F630EA664E - Taken by Sarcasm

I'm actually really enjoying Call of Duty: Ghosts. Probably because it has been so long since I've played a game from the franchise. Contemplating purchasing it before the sale ends.

oipic

Entering and crossing fingers for Alpha Protocol.

Good luck to you, NJ, and to all. :)

Despite some well-documented bugs (reloading saves and often having levels/areas entirely free of bad guys, for example), I had a great time with Alpha Protocol when I finally played it several months back - enough so that I happily invested 30 hours in it.

EdmondD

Ugh tell me about it, I've been sitting with all this in my cart all day

Let me know what you go with cause god damn, I've already taken Vegas 1 out of there and I'm still not sure what to do

Have you never played Chaos Theory? One of the greatest stealth games of all time. I would definitely keep that one. Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 are some of my favorite games so you can't go wrong with those in my opinion. Apparently Rainbow Six 3 is unplayable for some people though so you might not want to buy that one.

sheaaaa

Any particular recommendations from the Tom Clancy sale? Played GRAW on 360 all those years ago and I'm wondering if it's worth picking up again.

So I kinda asked this before, but the Steam page for FFXIV says that "NA Square Enix accounts without a copy of FFXIV registered may receive 30 days" or something like that... does that mean that my 30 days don't begin until I register the game to my SE account?

Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 are some of my favorite games so you can't go wrong with those in my opinion. Apparently Rainbow Six 3 is unplayable for some people though so you might not want to buy that one.

Does anyone know why the original R6/Eagle Watch/Rogue Spear/Black Thorn haven't been released on Steam? I thought it would be a no-brainer. A complete pack with all the games up to Vegas 2 would be the bee's knees.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Have you never played Chaos Theory? One of the greatest stealth games of all time. I would definitely keep that one. Ghost Recon and Rainbow Six 3 are some of my favorite games so you can't go wrong with those in my opinion. Apparently Rainbow Six 3 is unplayable for some people though so you might not want to buy that one.

Oh I've played all of em from back in the day, just... haven't bought em on steam yet. Would love to see the classic Rainbow Six titles come over as well, GoG only has the first one as far as I know.

Grief.exe

Ugh tell me about it, I've been sitting with all this in my cart all day

ibcaePgN43u6f3.png

Let me know what you go with cause god damn, I've already taken Vegas 1 out of there and I'm still not sure what to do

Cheesecake, get Chaos Theory.

I played it for the first time last year and it still holds up. One of the best games I have ever played.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist

I played it for the first time last year and it still holds up. One of the best games I have ever played.
I already have Chaos Theory, and I don't know what's up but I'm like the worst player of all time. I played other SC games masterfully but for some reason the fuckers keep catching onto me on the ship in mission 2 then they all crowd and waste me and I never advanced. It's weird because I remember watching my friend play it all the time on PS2 and it was pretty lax compared to others.

Was Chaos Theory the 3rd game on Xbox/PS2?
I played the first two games and loved them.

And then I played the third game in the series and it had branching paths and stuff and I wasn't feeling it. I didn't play much of it because of that. (Sort of like when I tried Final Fantasy X-2 and ended up giving up because I was worried I was going to miss some super rare item or something and couldn't force myself to leave the area I in at the time).

I always try and out think myself on those kinds of raffles :/ Thanks for giving away so much Dupy. :)

The idle march continues onward. I will get my fake money's worth, darnit!

EdmondD

Is RB6: Vegas 2 as good as the original? Vegas was one of my favorite games back in the day but I never played Vegas 2. Have it sitting in my cart.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
So I kinda asked this before, but the Steam page for FFXIV says that "NA Square Enix accounts without a copy of FFXIV registered may receive 30 days" or something like that... does that mean that my 30 days don't begin until I register the game to my SE account?

Yes. It's not 30 days from when you buy the game on Steam.

Hi guys. I've been out of the PC gaming loop for a while, since my PC could only play a select few games well. I'm looking to bulster my steam library, so when can we next realstically expect a sale? Easter?

The Co-Op is still insanely fun. You have to create a Splinter Cell account I think, but it's still really fun. I played through it last year with a buddy from across the country. Some really great and thought out missions.

Grief.exe

Was Chaos Theory the 3rd game on Xbox/PS2?
I played the first two games and loved them.

And then I played the third game in the series and it had branching paths and stuff and I wasn't feeling it. I didn't play much of it because of that. (Sort of like when I tried Final Fantasy X-2 and ended up giving up because I was worried I was going to miss some super rare item or something and couldn't force myself to leave the area I in at the time).

Hi guys. I've been out of the PC gaming loop for a while, since my PC could only play a select few games well. I'm looking to bulster my steam library, so when can we next realstically expect a sale? Easter?

Sales go on literally everyday.

Ubisoft titles on sale right now, I suggest Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
SteamWorld Dig, Alpha Protocol, and Binary Domain all on weeklong sales, I suggest all three.

Loadout and Hawken are F2P and pretty damn fun.

DayZ, Rust, and Banished are the survival du jour right now on PC, everyone going crazy for all three. The first two are multiplayer.

_hekk05

Banned
Thanks The_Super_Inframan for space chem.

Man editing the OP in TPP is serious business. Red caught way too many pokemon in safari zone.

Edit: Nooo I missed Dupy's giveaway again. One of these days...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom