• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Card Boy

Banned
Skyborn is finally on Steam?

http://media.giphy.com/media/xb8zoHFCKU0Ra/giphy.gif[/img

Indie 16 bit style RPG. I've always heard decent impressions of it. There is a review here from RPG Fan people can read:

[url]http://www.rpgfan.com/reviews/Skyborn/index.html[/url][/QUOTE]

RPG Maker? Pass. I dont mind games made in RPG Maker like To the Moon or Cherry Tree High Comedy Club but when you game [I]looks[/I] like it was made in RPG Maker then i have a problem.

Dec

Thanks for bringing that to my attention, will read more into it later. Love the artstyle though.

Store link: http://store.steampowered.com/app/278460/

Game has a 50% off promotion for launch. I wish it had achievements and trading cards though.

I really thought this artwork depicted something NSFW for a couple seconds.

ss_45e0f56b527f37e7516418356edfdb30107a2b25.1920x1080.jpg

Kovaelin

It's been a while since I've heard anything on Skyborn. I can't even remember where I first learned about it. I thought it might have been Kickstarter, but it's not on there.

Mrbob

RPG Maker? Pass. I dont mind games made in RPG Maker like To the Moon or Cherry Tree High Comedy Club but when you game looks like it was made in RPG Maker then i have a problem.

That's the response of a lot of people who looked at the game from a distance. Not those who have played it. Supposed to have a good story and be a lot of fun.

Can't really blame you for thinking "RPG Maker, pass." That was my first thought too until I gave the game a closer view.

Backlogger

Couple of extras:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Cubetractor -- MB-651008BAFA870DEC - Taken by topyy. 8 entrants total.
Dynamite Jack -- MB-C80C42F182FDFFB2 - Taken by Coldsun. 2 entrants total.

t1393032317z1.png

rtcn63

That's the response of a lot of people who looked at the game from a distance. Not those who have played it. Supposed to have a good story and be a lot of fun.

Can't really blame you for thinking "RPG Maker, pass." That was my first thought too until I gave the game a closer view.

From the RPGfan review:

Eking out an honest existence in this steampunk-meets-fantasy world is Claret Spencer- a gifted mechanic. She and her brother Jake have been running the family repair shop since the loss of their parents and life is pretty normal. The story starts with Claret repairing an airship for a wealthy client when some skyborn officials suddenly break into her shop and harass an employee of hers named Corwin. She angrily drives them off and gets back to work, but the hands of fate refuse to leave well enough alone that day. It seems her dear brother has secretly arranged to sell the shop to the aforementioned wealthy client and even offered Claret as a betrothal! I'll give you one guess how Claret reacts and what she does next. A simple life that makes sense is no longer in the cards for Claret and her forced entry down the proverbial rabbit hole takes many twists and turns before culminating into a satisfying ending.

And from the dialogue in the screenshots, it doesn't look particularly original or compelling. JRPGs in general aren't exactly known for their ground-breaking narrative and the like, but it doesn't appear to be a game you'd regret missing out on. I may be wrong, I don't deny this. But at first glance.

cripterion

Goddamn R6 Lockdown doesn't seem to work under Windows 8.1 and R6 3 has the menu resolutions locked to 800x600. Wish I'd checked before I bought the games :/

Mrbob

From the RPGfan review:

And from the dialogue in the screenshots, it doesn't look particularly original or compelling. JRPGs in general aren't exactly known for their ground-breaking narrative and the like, but it doesn't appear to be a game you'd regret missing out on. I may be wrong, I don't deny this. But at first glance.

That's an odd cherry pick of the review and only like the third paragraph in. Especially when these are the next two paragraphs from the same review:

The story is not some convoluted Xenogears-esque epic that will break your brain, a poignant drama like To The Moon, or one of those groan-worthy JRPG tales that feign depth by making the obvious seem profound. It's just a well-told, rollicking JRPG-style story with engaging (albeit archetypical) characters and some cool steampunk atmosphere. Sure there are some typical JRPG storytelling issues, like people joining Claret's party five seconds after meeting her, but I didn't mind them because I was having so much fun.

The fun times can last from 8-12 hours depending on the gamer. A speed runner who avoids optional content will probably blow through the game in a single weekend. A more patient gamer who likes to stop and smell the roses will have a longer experience. The game is, therefore, perfect for gamers with busy schedules. I enjoy a 50 hour epic as much as the next person, but not when it requires a 2-3 month time commitment due to my busy "real" life and when play time feels artificially padded. I'd rather have an amazing 10 hour experience that leaves me wanting more than a humdrum 50 hour one that I can't wait to shelve. Skyborn clearly falls in the former camp and I'm left wanting more adventures and misadventures of Claret and company.

If you don't want it, don't buy it. Not sure why you would take something slightly out of context though to make a point.

rtcn63

EDIT: Not worth it. Let's all just stick to praising every single game under the sun, regardless of the evidence and how we feel and think and twaddle. I'm starting to understand why people like Derrick so much. Also, chocolate pretzel anyone?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
Thought I'd clear a bunch of my cookies out as FF was running sluggish, go to the market
Twkw0Eb.png

Okay, I'll do it from the client. Oh I can't sell there either due to some cookie error. I'll just do a fresh install and hopefully fix it...

O3P4Mb2.png

what is the point of your all powerful steamguard if I have to deal with dumb shit like this, from the client nonetheless?

Lain

I'm liking Hexcells, but I feel that sometimes it's more a question of guessing right than a question of using all the indicators to find which cells to turn blue and which to break to keep going. Also memorization so when restarting to get a perfect clear I don't mess up.

Thought I'd clear a bunch of my cookies out as FF was running sluggish, go to the market
Twkw0Eb.png

Okay, I'll do it from the client. Oh I can't sell there either due to some cookie error. I'll just do a fresh install and hopefully fix it...

O3P4Mb2.png

what is the point of your all powerful steamguard if I have to deal with dumb shit like this, from the client nonetheless?

I had the same thing when Steam's GeoIP moved me from Cyprus to Turkey and back to Cyprus in a week. So they triggered their own alarm.

Khronico

If you don't already own Rainbow Six 3, it's 75% off today, so snatch it up!

11 years since it's release date and it's still one of the finest first person shooters ever made. Not only is it an amazing game, it has some amazing mods for it, specifically Raven Shield 2.0.

It may not hold up graphically, but MAN does it hold in the gameplay department.

Pachimari

11 years since it's release date and it's still one of the finest first person shooters ever made. Not only is it an amazing game, it has some amazing mods for it, specifically Raven Shield 2.0.

It may not hold up graphically, but MAN does it hold in the gameplay department.

I wish the community still played this online. Can't find any matches at all. =(

cripterion

Great game but won't work on some rigs cause of the menu resolution. And goddamn so many UBISOFT games with shitty DRM. Bought the Settlers 7 and impossible to play the game cause it tells me there's a network problem.

On 5 Ubisoft titles I bought today only 2 are playable...

Pachimari

You know, if enough SteamGAFfers get it, we could plan some community matches. I'd be up for it.

I'm totally up for it - maybe do a thread in the community forum?

Btw, I'm new to mods and is downloading Raven Shield 2.0 which you linked to, how do I apply it to the game?

Getting greenlit doesn't mean the game is immediately released on Steam.

I realize that. But I'm asking for games that are already finished/complete and available elsewhere -- I'm just curious as to what the average turnaround time is on these things... I have Danmaku Unlimited 2 installed and added to Steam, but now that it's greenlit, I'm anxious to get it added to my account and move over to having it managed by Steam.

Khronico

I'm totally up for it - maybe do a thread in the community forum?

Btw, I'm new to mods and is downloading Raven Shield 2.0 which you linked to, how do I apply it to the game?

I had the retail version a while back when RS2.0 first came out, and I believe that it was just an exe you can install. I'm not sure though, it was like 3 years ago.

I'm downloading right now so I can say for sure in about 30 mins.

derExperte

I realize that. But I'm asking for games that are already finished/complete and available elsewhere -- I'm just curious as to what the average turnaround time is on these things... I have Danmaku Unlimited 2 installed and added to Steam, but now that it's greenlit, I'm anxious to get it added to my account and move over to having it managed by Steam.

Totally unpredictable, some finished games take a loooong time to reach Steam for one reason or another, The Real Texas springs to mind. Could be next week, could be in six months, there's no way to tell other than directly asking the devs.

Flunkie

Banned
I don't know how y'all are making all this money on the market buying/selling Phoenix cases. I make $.50 roughly when I'm even able to get one at all. Which is like every 5 minutes. Not really worth it.

Pachimari

I had the retail version a while back when RS2.0 first came out, and I believe that it was just an exe you can install. I'm not sure though, it was like 3 years ago.

I'm downloading right now so I can say for sure in about 30 mins.
Thanks! I'll keep an eye out for your answer. :)

Also, are there any great poker games for PC? Just casual fun, not with real money.

Grizza

Great game but won't work on some rigs cause of the menu resolution. And goddamn so many UBISOFT games with shitty DRM. Bought the Settlers 7 and impossible to play the game cause it tells me there's a network problem.

On 5 Ubisoft titles I bought today only 2 are playable...
I still can't understand what the point of Uplay actually is, other than to piss off their customers. But archaic DRM in older games upsets me even more. I'm saddened that I just ignore whatever Ubi Soft releases now, since I don't want to bother with a future where I can't play their games because they choose not to update their games and strip them of their shitty DRM.

Caerith

RPG Maker? Pass. I dont mind games made in RPG Maker like To the Moon or Cherry Tree High Comedy Club but when you game looks like it was made in RPG Maker then i have a problem.
So the problem is the visuals? Because, like, one of the best games I've ever played
(The Witch's House)
was made in RPG Maker (and looks it), and Cherry Tree (which doesn't look it) is really, really bland.

That is some unappealing writing.

Yeah, wouldn't bloodlust be slaked, not sated?

Lain

Completed Hexcells (the level before last was the trickiest one for me). All in all a fun puzzle game that is maybe just a little bit too short.
I'm not sure why I had to exit and restart to unlock achievements though.

mannerbot

Completed Hexcells (the level before last was the trickiest one for me). All in all a fun puzzle game that is maybe just a little bit too short.
I'm not sure why I had to exit and restart to unlock achievements though.

Did you like it enough to buy Hexcells Plus? I'm interested in the game mostly because of John Walker's glowing recommendation of it, but it's nice to get a second opinion.

Grief.exe

ToraShiro, Konami Rep, just told me that Kojima Productions is working on the patch for Metal Gear Rising, not Platinum Games.

That is very interesting for a variety of reasons.

Uraizen

Banned

Varies; just pretend it's like waiting for a PSN store update.

ToraShiro, Konami Rep, just told me that Kojima Productions is working on the patch for Metal Gear Rising, not Platinum Games.

I can't tell if this is a good or bad thing for Rising.

Lain

Did you like it enough to buy Hexcells Plus? I'm interested in the game mostly because of John Walker's glowing recommendation of it, but it's nice to get a second opinion.

I liked it enough to put Plus on my wish list to get it next month when I have more money to spend. The game was both relaxing and challenging (if that can be possible), with the little bit of frustration that comes from making mistakes and restarting.

That is interesting.

Varies; just pretend it's like waiting for a PSN store update.

I can't tell if this is a good or bad thing for Rising.

Yeah, me either.
If it's just graphics fixes and stuff, hopefully it doesn't matter.

--

You're telling me that Grace Chen is in charge of Greenlight? :lol

NotSelf

ModBot said:
Instructions for NotSelf:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Velvet Assassin -- MB-8846D3CDD89E97FD - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 2 entrants total.
Roogoo -- MB-27F74FFCB842F7B0 - Taken by corrosivefrost. 3 entrants total.
Rush Bros -- MB-D5538B7F39F4D89A - Taken by Widdly Scuds. 1 entrants total.
Legendary -- MB-A79DF13C6C638205 - Taken by Declarius. 2 entrants total.

t1393036908z1.png

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom