• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
SimplyCDKeys is part of SimplyGames which is legit as far as I know.

Yeah they are, they're perfectly fine. Them and GameKeysNow but it's that whole grey area where some sites (Like G2Play I think ?) had sold some keys bought with stolen credit cards so understandably Evilore etc are a bit careful and don't want people blindly recommending lots of key sites which are dodgy as fuck.

AHA-Lambda

What's happening with the South Park release for the UK? Store page just says March 2014?

Bought there before and it was fine.

Did anybody pre-order there before though? Did they deliver the key in time?

I'd be interested to hear this too, I took the chance and ordered with them.

Garcia

I've been playing Vice City (PC) lately and man does the mouse aiming improve the game a lot. There's also a custom folder for placing your own MP3 files, higher resolution and modding support.

Despite some artifacts and glitchy textures that show up here and there I'm sticking to the PC port. It's been so many years since I last played it on PS2 so I don't remember how well that one holds up visually.

I've been playing Vice City (PC) lately and man does the mouse aiming improve the game a lot. There's also a custom folder for placing your own MP3 files, higher resolution and modding support.

Despite some artifacts and glitchy textures that show up here and there I'm sticking to the PC port. It's been so many years since I last played it on PS2 so I don't remember how well that one holds up visually.
There was a bug with mouse aim sensitivity when I played it, default was overly high and vertical sensitivity couldn't be adjusted. Game was unplayable. :(

Caerith

So, 2014 is shaping up to be a pretty good year for games. Ultionus: A Tale of Petty Revenge was surprisingly good, One Way Heroics is going to be in the top 5 for SteamGAF's Game of the Year, and South Park is really pretty awesome.

I only played up to the start of the second day and am really enjoying it so far. I picked the Warrior class, which is a powerhouse of melee damage but it's kinda hard to keep your allies alive, and I figure I'll replay as Mage, Thief, and Jew at some point-- seeing as there's a Jew-specific achievement, I'll pretty much need to. It seems you get different dialogue based on your skin tone as well (what Cartman said when I considered Thief was different from what I heard in a preview video).

Combat's a bit tricky, since I don't got rhythm, but otherwise pretty engaging with different attack types and stances. The writing doesn't absolutely require a knowledge of South Park-- I'm sure there are tons of references I'm not getting, but it's pretty funny on its own. Favorite thing so far though has got to be the audio logs in the last area I was in-- probably the most Obsidian thing in this game.

Grief.exe

Post screens.

Is it possible to combine promotions on Steam? Broken Age is 33% off right now, and I have a DoubleFine Loyalty coupon for %25 off Broken Age in my gift inventory, that has to be used by March 14th. 58% off would be sweet.

Is it possible to combine promotions on Steam? Broken Age is 33% off right now, and I have a DoubleFine Loyalty coupon for %25 off Broken Age in my gift inventory, that has to be used by March 14th. 58% off would be sweet.

a) Sometimes it works, in the case of Broken Age it doesn't
b) even if it did, you can't just add the discounts like that. They're multiplicative

Parsnip

They should bring Journey to the Moon to Steam as well.

verne_by_majorparsnip-d796b8y.jpg

Also, while I'm posting pictures, I think I should clean the dust filter on my case more often.

Jame Retief

Neo Member
Of course, I say this, then decide to give him another run. This time, I'm hit within about a second and he takes off 90% of my health, and I'm dead within 5 seconds.

Ah well, it was kinda fun, but, I think that's all she wrote on this one for me. Have fun with the sequel. :)

If you are to the point of giving up the game because you can't continue, try "Strategy 3" (watch the video) of the Capra Demon guide. It's a cheap win, but if it means continuing in the game vs quitting, by all means go for the cheap win.

hohoXD123

Right, so, after I posted, I went in (after having put it down for a while) to see how exactly I was getting destroyed by the Capra Demon.

First hit immediately after walking in the door hits half my life, his second hit takes the next 25%, finished off by another 25%. 3 hits. Fight is over in about 10 seconds. I don't get in a swing. Holding my shield up the whole time.

FWIW, I'm level 26, I have a buffed Hollow Soldier Shield at about +3 and an Axe about +3 as well. The gargoyles weren't much work, this guy seems to be a wall.

And yes, tried the get around him, up the stairs, jump down, etc, I know the pattern, but....well, it's me not you.

Strange, I found the gargoyles ridiculously hard, died so many times but I easily beat the Capra Demon first time. Maybe try and upgrade your shield and armour? I remember being able to block his attacks fairly easily with a knight shield + 5.

Javaman

Is it just me or has anyone else completely quit using the "Specials" tab? Now that it's always pegged at 100 max line items, there's no way to know which specials are missing.

They should bring Journey to the Moon to Steam as well.

Also, while I'm posting pictures, I think I should clean the dust filter on my case more often.

Heh, I just got a third harddrive for my main computer. When I open up my case I'm hoping to slay the vorpal dust bunnies that, no doubt, live under the video card.

AHA-Lambda

Unfortunately no, otherwise I would have picked up Broken Age today, but I think I can wait otherwise.

Caerith

Ku: Shroud of the Morrigan suddenly appeared in my library. Guess it's out today. Can't install or anything, but still.

Kadin

Anyone have any tips for getting these stupid VC-related errors, etc. to quit happening when I run new games in Steam? It doesn't happen 100% of the time but enough for it to need to be fixed. Sometimes it asks for a file which I can't find and when I hit cancel, it loads the game. But is there a way to just quickly scan/repair all this stuff for the future?

I'm running Win 8.1 with latest updates. As you can see below, I have a bunch of both x86 and x64 instances of Visual C++:

If I attempt to uninstall the older x86 ones, I get errors like this:

This whole thing is a mess and I'd love to get it all corrected if it's possible. I've looked and looked for solutions via Google and it's very hit or miss especially with 8.1. Seen ways to scan for issues but that's with Windows 7 or earlier it seems.

Dr Dogg

Well Stick of Truth done is just under 13 hours. Though still got a couple of side quests left to do, 8 Chinpokomon left to find, a fair few items and clothing sets to buy and about 40 South Parkians to friend. Enjoyable but as I said in the OT feels more like Matt & Trey's project than having the hand of Obsidian too much involved. Still Pillars is out by the end of the year.

Now just got to wait for the game to officially unlock so I can bloody sync my achievements.

Nabs

Well Stick of Truth done is just under 13 hours. Though still got a couple of side quests left to do, 8 Chinpokomon left to find, a fair few items and clothing sets to buy and about 40 South Parkians to friend. Enjoyable but as I said in the OT feels more like Matt & Trey's project than having the hand of Obsidian too much involved. Still Pillars is out by the end of the year.

Now just got to wait for the game to officially unlock so I can bloody sync my achievements.

I think it should be unlocked now. Restart Steam and check.

I beat SoT in about 15 hours (14.9!) and loved every minute. The game was paced well and was damn funny. I laughed so much while playing.

So I finished both of my outstanding XCOM playthroughs earlier. 460 odd hours, 3 or 4 completions on Easy, 1 on Normal and 2 on Classic [including one Ironman], all non EW or multiplayer achievements achievenated except for 3 [which should fall when I tackle Impossible] and a fuckton of fun.

Time to cleanse my gaming palate!

Step up to the plate Steam backlog. You've got a tough act to follow!

riki is the cutest thing ever, even if his voice has that weird ass accent I can't really trace.

Riki likes easy monsters!

Best character in the game :D.

Who has $50 worth of card money?
Can they teach me their secrets, please?

1. Hoover up Modbot giveaways
2. Use S.A.M. to 'earn' trading cards
3. Rarely give away games yourself
4. Profit

Seems to work for some anyway.

I tried it a few years ago and it was execrable. Frankly it was so bad it would have been that when it was released let alone years later. Fortunately the usual Rockstar game design put me off sufficiently that I quit so early that I inflicted very little of it on myself.

Dr Dogg

I think it should be unlocked now. Restart Steam and check.

I beat SoT in about 15 hours (14.9!) and loved every minute. The game was paced well and was damn funny. I laughed so much while playing.

Cheers dude it's just downloading a patch now. Crazy that I can finish a game before it's even unlocked officially. I'm sure if I didn't I'd has been spoiled rotten.

Yeah was more than I expected. Felt like a whole season that had me chuckling from start to finish. Despite what a few peeps in the OT have said I'm quiet looking forward to playing through it again as a different class (went Jew and was stupidly overpowered by end game). It's just the right length.

For as large as Max Payne 3 is, I'm surprised Rockstar couldn't be bothered to add a benchmark tool. I finally had to download fraps.

My fps occasionaly dips into the 30s during cutscenes and during gameplay it's between 45-60+. I should probably use a slightly lower res when downsampling.

zkylon

zkylewd
Hopefully Saorise ages better than Ellen Pompeo. Maybe its because I hate that TV show, but she doesn't seemed to have aged well IMO
as someone that's watched more grey's anatomy than I should (I still think it had a pretty good first couple of seasons), I can say she's kind of weird in that she can look pretty rotten at times and pretty sweet and cute just as easy. but like she always seems to have too much work on her for my taste

prolly not gonna happen to suarez romulan as she's like naturally perfect

For as large as Max Payne 3 is, I'm surprised Rockstar couldn't be bothered to add a benchmark tool. I finally had to download fraps.

My fps occasionaly dips into the 30s during cutscenes and during gameplay it's between 45-60+. I should probably use a slightly lower res when downsampling.
downsampling to lower than 60 fps is sin

you're basically downgrading the whole game to crap just to remove some jaggies

don't you people ever learn!?

jediyoshi

FXAA is nonsense!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom