• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.
Absolutely loving Kingdom's of Amalur. Just $5 right now on amazon, $10 with DLC, both are steam activated no Origin. it does log in to EA servers though as part of the game.

It has the best combat I have ever played in this type of game. Basically it is like a Fable/Skyrim/DMC/hack and slash adventure RPG hybrid. Well executed game.

Really can't understate what a good varied combat engine adds to this style game.

It was above average for an RPG combat system, but I thought the game was very bland overall.

TronLight

Everybody is Mikkelsexual
Any any important sale between now and the Summer Sales? I can't remember any from past years.
Sort of want AC3, but I don't have the money right now.

Grief.exe

Absolutely loving Kingdom's of Amalur. Just $5 right now on amazon, $10 with DLC, both are steam activated no Origin. It does log in to EA servers though as part of the game.

It has the best combat I have ever played in this type of game. Basically it is like a Fable/Skyrim/DMC/hack and slash adventure RPG hybrid. Well executed game.

Really can't understate what a good varied combat engine adds to this style game.

The online check is not DRM though, I tested it while I was completely offline and it allowed me to play the game without any issues.

It was above average for an RPG combat system, but I thought the game was very bland overall.

After playing Rising, I would love to see Platinum take a crack at an Action-RPG.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is there a NAS host that allows me to run linux things, properly, through an SSH shell? Like DLNA servers, linux distribution sharing applications, http servers, so on and so forth?

I'm tired of hacking shit together.

To be honest, my grand plan is to just install Win7, disable anything that may cause Windows to partake in an impromptu restart, and leave the system running 24/7, with network connectivity achieved via EOP. Not the most elegant solution but it's firmly within "That'll do" territory. ;) I'd planned to repurpose the PC my brother left behind when he moved up north, as the only incurred costs then would have been for the HDDs, but my parents binned it before I could get my hands on it.

Any any important sale between now and the Summer Sales? I can't remember any from past years.
Sort of want AC3, but I don't have the money right now.

There may be an indie sale next month but that's it.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
To be honest, my grand plan is to just install Win7, disable anything that may cause Windows to partake in an impromptu restart, and leave the system running 24/7, with network connectivity achieved via EOP. Not the most elegant solution but it's firmly within "That'll do" territory. ;)

If you're going the Windows route, you might as well get Windows Home Server or Windows 2012 Server Essentials. The "storage pools" let you add multiple disks of various sizes to one giant storage pool that is represented as a single disk on the server. And when you're ready to upgrade, it's easy to retire an existing disk (as long as you have enough free space) and replace it with a bigger one.

I've been doing this for years, slowly building up from having 4x1TB disks in 2008 to the 8x3TB disks I have now.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
AC3's biggest flaw is its setting. Colonial America just isn't aesthetically or architecturally interesting.

Nah, it's biggest problem is the bugs. Colonial America would've worked it it wasn't the numerous Anvil Next bugs.

Also those discounts: Ubi plz. ;___; So awful.

Bought asscreed brohood and ac3 with my card funds. I only need part 1 now to complete the collection but I'm in no rush to pick it up. also, I'm looking forward to seeing how terrible ac3 is.

JaseC

If you're going the Windows route, you might as well get Windows Home Server or Windows 2012 Server Essentials. The "storage pools" let you add multiple disks of various sizes to one giant storage pool that is represented as a single disk on the server. And when you're ready to upgrade, it's easy to retire an existing disk (as long as you have enough free space) and replace it with a bigger one.

I've been doing this for years, slowly building up from having 4x1TB disks in 2008 to the 8x3TB disks I have now.

Ah, good idea. Before I switched from Comp Sci to Screen Production I jumped on MSDNAA and took note of the Windows keys that had been applied to my account; I'm pretty sure I have a few 2008 R2 keys.

Milamber

Oh man, I'm slowly replacing my 6 2TB drives to 3TB's and this is the first time I've heard of "storage pools". Wonder how much Windows Home Server costs? Any disadvantages to pooling?

PriitV

That's one good looking game
f00d40a53d7617dedc8325205a0b6783c2874381.jpg

iDfLRRFyXNEZO.gif

iLIXsu3qfAsdC.gif

iqw0VtKr6m2UB.gif

The last few levels of Chaos Theory are surprisingly tough! Save scumming is the only way I can make any progress and it feels bad.

It's interesting playing the game after Blacklist and seeing just how tonally different they are. After Blacklist's ultra violent torture scenes, it's jarring seeing interrogations played for laughs. ("Are you gonna say monkey?") The soundtrack is also very unique, it's sad they dropped that style in later games.

This made me laugh. A lot.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Oh man, I'm slowly replacing my 6 2TB drives to 3TB's and this is the first time I've heard of "storage pools". Wonder how much Windows Home Server costs.

If you're just now getting into it, I'd recommend Server 2012 Essentials, and skipping the now-dead Windows Home Server. Home Server 2011 (the "newest" Home Server product) dropped storage pools completely.

It's also nice because it can automatically back up all of your PCs nightly.

Anyway, don't want to muck up the Steam thread with Windows Server talk, but I've updated my MCSE to 2012 recently and I'm happy to answer anyone's questions via PM.

Grief.exe

A Platinum developed aRPG certainly wouldn't be boring.

That would be amazing. I am not much of a story guy...much more about combat feel and gameplay. Platinum at the helm of an arpg seems like a goty on paper.

GOTY

The last few levels of Chaos Theory are surprisingly tough! Save scumming is the only way I can make any progress and it feels bad.

It's interesting playing the game after Blacklist and seeing just how tonally different they are. After Blacklist's ultra violent torture scenes, it's jarring seeing interrogations played for laughs. ("Are you gonna say monkey?") The soundtrack is also very unique, it's sad they dropped that style in later games.

This made me laugh. A lot.

That is why Ironside actually left the project. He did an interview where he said the game just went for pure, boring, AAA action hero and had no depth to the character or game.

Anteater

After playing Rising, I would love to see Platinum take a crack at an Action-RPG.

I think it would be something like Okami and I'd be ok with that

I don't really want stats and gears in an action game from PG though, I hate how often those elements mess up the difficulty balance of the game

Tizoc

Probably not. On release it was one of the worst games on Steam [see the Metacritic score]. Since then it has apparently been patched into something somewhat playable, but you're better off just playing Killing Floor since it's pretty much an identical concept done far better.

But does it have DINOSAURS?

That is why Ironside actually left the project. He did an interview where he said the game just went for pure, boring, AAA action hero and had no depth to the character or game.

To be fair, Fisher's shtick in the game is basically the Bruce Willis "I'm too old for this" thing, but Ironside does add a touch of class.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Yes, look at the background gate and the reflections in the paint.

Zeth

Let's say a person was willing to pay someone a large sum of money in exchange for any kind of access to Project Cars on his PC. Is there any way he could do this?

Jørdan

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III: Tag, You're It

ModBot said:
I am giving away 5 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken, tough shit. Replies may take a minute or two:

Tales of Maj'Eyal #3 -- MB-8696A880FDEBD317 - Taken by natertots
Tales of Maj'Eyal #2 -- MB-19B54CBEE83983C7 - Taken by Random Painted HIghway
Tales of Maj'Eyal #5 -- MB-5C1BFA93DC972F1D - Taken by Darth Kupi
Tales of Maj'Eyal -- MB-62B60124F49425D2 - Taken by factorone
Tales of Maj'Eyal #4 -- MB-9C2582CD5816572D - Taken by PriitV

JaseC

Is that going to be F2p?

Nah. It wasn't until recently that I discovered backers will receive a share of the profits gained throughout the game's first two years of post-release sales -- if I'd known this earlier I would've parted with some change myself.

Nabs

Turfster

I like how Ubi is doing an AssCrud sale on Uplay... and AssCrud 1 and 2 are 6.49€ each.
Hey Ubi, they're only a third of that on Steam.
What you doin'?

JaseC

I like how Ubi is doing an AssCrud sale on Uplay... and AssCrud 1 and 2 are 6.49€ each.
Hey Ubi, they're only a third of that on Steam.
What you doin'?

Obviously Ubi is herding people to Steam as it begins to dismantle Uplay. Tintin for all!

It's actually a prime example of how thickly layered a company like Ubi is -- there's really no reason why Ubi couldn't just match the prices it set on Steam, but for that to happen Employee A has to raise it with a manager, who has to raise it with his manager, who has to raise it with his manager, who has to raise it with Yves Guillemot, who has to gain the approval of a circus bear by performing a variety of acrobatic feats. This is why I don't hold much hope of my request for a Paths to a Kingdom Steam key being obliged.

Ryne

Project CARS and Corsa are the games that are going to make me upgrade my PC. I want those at max graphics and at least a constant 60 fps.

So... I had to quit the steam client because it was always starting automatically Aliens Colonial Marines.

Yes, that actually happened.

Evrain

Obviously Ubi is herding people to Steam as it begins to dismantle Uplay. Tintin for all!
Do you think they will somehow offer Steam keys of games? I have all the AC series, FC3, Prince of Persia and some random things in there, I'd hate to lose it all.

This free weekend of CoD ghosts makes me really happy I didn't play it on release or get it later. I just don't have the time to become proficient at these types of games to enjoy myself anymore. Particularly when I am not good at console controls and go 360 controller.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom