• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
This Ubisoft sale is so weird and hard to keep track of.

It's like they don't even want me to know if there's a new game at 75% off for me to buy.

Garcia

You have to appreciate when a developer shows enough respect to the player by offering customization options from the get go.

Kairo has terrible and intrusive "Look Smoothing" as a default but you can override it by going into the menu. I thank the guy for that.

legacyzero

Banned
should I go after Far Cry 3... is the multi still alive?

Don't buy it for multiplayer unfortunately. The multiplayer can be good, but if you're going to try and get into it for the Map Editor, and user created maps, then don't bother. The way Ubisoft set up the multiplayer lobby system to be just like COD and Halo, SEVERELY gimped the process to get maps discovered. Far Cry Instincts, and Far Cry did it so much better, because you could run public lobbies featuring yours, and other's maps.

And to think I put so much work into my Metal Gear Solid 3 Map, and it barely got noticed because of it.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Don't buy it for multiplayer unfortunately. The multiplayer can be good, but if you're going to try and get into it for the Map Editor, and user created maps, then don't bother. The way Ubisoft set up the multiplayer lobby system to be just like COD and Halo, SEVERELY gimped the process to get maps discovered. Far Cry Instincts, and Far Cry did it so much better, because you could run public lobbies featuring yours, and other's maps.

And to think I put so much work into my Metal Gear Solid 3 Map, and it barely got noticed because of it.

How active is the MP in the game? Been wanting to play it with the new GPU's.

Arthea

My promised write up on combat of Skyborn.

Little about generalities. The game has dual wielding, material collecting, crafting, augmenting equipment, side quests and even card collecting. The game after my heart almost.

Enemies are visible, but not in a way that you know what you encounter, it's rather symbol of encounter, still helps if you wanna avoid battles, making in RE (random encounters) free game.
Combat is based on threat levels. Every aggressive action you take during combat raises your threat level, and the member of party with highest threat is attacked by all enemies. So, you need to plan your battles accordingly, not letting weakest members to be attackers all the time. There are plenty of magic, skills and types of attacks. I'm just couple of hours in, so that my change, but a game seems to be on easy side so far, fortunately it lets you change difficulty at any time. Combat is turned based.
Dungeons so far were basic, simple, but that still can change.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
FC3 multiplayer is shit. Only Co Op is somewhat fun because it features a new storyline with 4 new characters. There's also a free DLC with new Co Op missions that you get from uPlay iirc

Tizoc

@Arthea- Thanks for the info, hope you can post more so I can decide whether to get it soon or not.

MRORANGE

Far Cry 2 is the one to get.

It's a weird game in the series with it's janky-european style mechanics, but once you get into the groove it's amazingly enjoyable. Just imagine it as a survival fps game where you've managed to piss off all of Africa and are stone set of tracking you down from the other side of the map to try and kill you. The local militia seem to have a limitless private army due to the fact that you kill every single guard at a checkpoint on a regular basis, but still they keep sending more guards to cover the checkpoint in. The local militants also love to place explosives right at their base which usually doesn't end well for them - oh and you can heal yourself from drowning by taking bullets out your arm.

Oh yeah, totally get Sleeping Dogs as well.

Far Cry 2 an interesting experience regardless of where you fall on its qualities, it's a bold game that I'd really love for the "AAA" space to try more of. Far Cry 3 by comparison feels like a garbage collecting sim.

I've never seen a game so reluctant to use its open world. You empty out vast swathes of the world as you progress, side missions are incredibly limited in how they allow you to approach, and even main missions are completely unwilling to allow you stray off the beaten path.

Sleeping Dogs is a great game. Even if you see it as a GTA clone, it's enjoyable, and should satisfy the urge for an open world crime game until GTAV is released on PC.

GuardsmanGreg

Neo Member
I see Sleeping Dogs for $5. Worth it? Is any of the DLC worth my money?

Sleeping Dogs is worth it and then some. The atmosphere it weaves is amazing and they actually gave a damn about the PC Port. The Combat is an immensely satisfying but simple melee combat system.

The only story DLC i've played is Nightmare in Northpoint and I can really recommend it. It's kind of like Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare in that they're both intentionally campy with an extra bit of spices added in via references to supernatural folklore for the respective cultures they're set in.

ModBot said:
Giving this away again since the first taker ended up wiht 2 copies!
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-9F15EEC532E02FC8 - Taken by Evrain. 2 entrants total.

t1393111384z1.png
Wheeee!

Kadin

Sorry if this is old, didn't see any LEGO posts in here as of yet. LEGO pack from GMG for $28.97. Pretty slick deal if you don't have these yet.

The LEGO Complete Pack includes:

LEGO Batman
LEGO Batman 2
LEGO Harry Potter 1-4
LEGO Harry Potter 5-7
LEGO Lord of the Rings

edit: searched the old topic and this is indeed old. My bad guys. Last day for the deal though it appears.

fantomena

Awwww shit. I just looked at my bank account and found out that I have used literally no money in London. My friends bought a shitload of stuff, I didn't find anything (almost) interesting since I already have most of the stuff I need.

I must wait for the Steam Indie sale in march.

fantomena

I might remember wrong, but most of the 35% games were 50% during the autumn and christmas sales in 2013, so I will wait till the summer sale in case they will be 50% then.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Haha, too many posts to quote but thanks to everyone who replied about Sleeping Dogs, I double dipped. Looking forward to that HD goodness!

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hello new thread, I hope you are as good to us as the last one was.

Also for those that missed it, Groupees build a bundle out of four Greenlight titles with Battlepaths being free. http://groupees.com/bagb5

CONSIDER?
Dude I played PS3 Sleepy Dawgs and let me tell you: PC/Steam ver. is a work of art compared to the PS3 ver.
Someone post that driving GIF of Sleepy Dawgs please.

if9VAGXL1Yotv.gif

Also rain.
ibsStGo6I00fKh.gif

Big_Al

Unconfirmed Member
Far Cry 2 feels like a job. Far Cry 3 feels like a videogame.

I won't make an argument yet again for absolutely loving Far Cry 2 (still one of my favourite FPS in recent years) but I will argue that if you want the Far Cry 3 experience but actually fun and good to get Far Cry 3 Blood Dragon. Less bullshit, more fun story, same decent combat but in a fun as hell 5 - 6 hours. Not 20 - 25 hours of shitty collecting and trapsing around yet another dull tropical island as one of the worst main characters in recent years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom