• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags

Status
Not open for further replies.

def sim

Sleeping Dogs is great!

ibmtMx3JECFgte.gif

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
If they could somehow meet in the middle between Far Cry 2 and Far Cry 3 I would happily buy it. Both games have their own merits that I enjoyed, but in the end I prefer Far Cry 3 simply due to the fact that it didn't feel so tedious to how I wanted to play, allowed me to set up traps more easily, more enjoyable transportation (I liked gliding), and the bow and arrow.
Far Cry 2 had the better world, just hampered by technology to what it could have been that resulted in some frustration of A.I. and spawing tactics. Also no more malaria.

Garcia

damn, that's bad, like really really bad. If even gog goes this way, all is lost.
It seems they are talking only about some new releases, but we all know that's how it starts and how it ends.

Exactly.

Man, this isn't good at all.

The game cost different amounts in in the US, the UK, the European Union, and Australia. We're doing something like that once again in order to bring you new titles from fantastic bigger studios.
I assume they want to move on to some "new" games instead of the Good Old Games, so they have to convince some big studios with some compromise.

Also here is GoG thread for more on this event.

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
Hopefully it just means new titles being release, or at least things only a few years old still being actively published and pushed. I don't like it, but that's the only hope I have left.

Now how much of this choice is on GOG and how much of it is being forced upon them by the publishers of "do as everyone else is or we won't put our games on your service" I'm curious to discover.

FUCKING GODDAMMIT GOG WHY!?!?!?!?!?!?

Will I continue to buy on GOG with these regional different prices?

tumblr_mbheh8Cnuy1rqg2t8.gif
Here is what I wrote on GoG thread. I paste this here since it also concern Steam.
Regional pricing can benefit them but the negative effect of removing one of your core policies where your customers exist mostly to support those policies and not to buy your stuff, would be enormous.
GoG sells stuff because they are the anti-DRM, anti-"whatever the other DD platform does". They exist because they are not Steam, Origin, Uplay, etc. And they exist because Steam exist and they can put themselves at a niche market by contrasting whatever they do.
Now they are trying to be a DD platform like the others meaning they are giving up the niche market that created and fed them for years.
As far as I see Steam can annihilate any DD platform without big exclusive titles and if GoG leaves their niche spot, somebody else will take it and GoG will be stuck in limbo.

I guess the dream of being Steam haunts everyone.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the Obscure games coming out never actually came out on PC correct?

stonedwal

Nabbed Kingdoms of Amalur off Amazon. Was bitching about the AU price when it was on sale on Steam a couple of weeks back, waiting saved me 12 bucks...which I blew on Binary Domain and Alpha Protocol.

Ubisoft sale is mostly disappointing - guessing we'll see Assassin's Creed series (except IV) on sale tomorrow.

Nabbed Kingdoms of Amalur off Amazon. Was bitching about the AU price when it was on sale on Steam a couple of weeks back, waiting saved me 12 bucks...which I blew on Binary Domain and Alpha Protocol.

Ubisoft sale is mostly disappointing - guessing we'll see Assassin's Creed series (except IV) on sale tomorrow.

Yeah, I just bought Kingdoms of Amalur as well. Completely forgot it was on sale until I read your post. Too bad Amazon doesn't have that Weapons & Armor Bundle DLC.

Turfster

Sigh.
Fuck this regional pricing bullshit, GOG.
I bought stuff from you because I could buy in dollars.
If I'm going to have to pay ridiculous prices, I'll stick with my disk copies.

Also, there's a Deus Ex Sale over at Get Games go, 75% off

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Blink Bundle having a tax for non-USers, now THATS evil

rtcn63

Considering GOG's prior stance, they likely didn't have too much of a choice in the matter. They may deserve criticism, but not total condemnation, unless it's been evidenced that they seriously have it coming.

Arthea

Blink Bundle having a tax for non-USers, now THATS evil

basically all have now, at least all based in EU have.

edited some more: you probably haven't even noticed it, but bundle stars for example already show you price of a bundle with VAT included, so unless you check other regions, you don't notice that you pay taxes.

They're not alone, sadly.
If more people start doing it, I'll be taking my ball and going home.

I just started to be more selective with bundles to compensate that 21% raise in price, at least I try to be.

Turfster

I just started to be more selective with bundles to compensate that 21% raise in price, at least I try to be.

Yep. If you're going to make me pay twice as much as my friends across the pond, then fuck you, I don't need your shit, basically.

GoG is evil now? :(

Damn. The backslash will be heavy.

Considering GOG's prior stance, they likely didn't have too much of a choice in the matter. They may deserve criticism, but not total condemnation, unless it's been evidenced that they seriously have it coming.

This is what I was talking about. GoG defined itself as anti-Steam/Origin and won the non-evil title with it. Now they are losing it by being Steam/Origin.
Good job GoG now you are a DD platform.

Colin.

Ugh, damn Sleeping Dogs, 75% off the base game but no discount on the DLC. Wanted to get the collection before jumping in.

Grief.exe

With Humble Bundle, GOG, and others all doing this around the same time, this is probably an industry movement spearheaded by some of the larger publishers.

BruteUA

I love CS:GO updates. Played it for 10 minutes or so, got an Operation Phoenix case drop. Sold it and bought Sleeping Dogs.

PriitV

With Humble Bundle, GOG, and others all doing this around the same time, this is probably an industry movement spearheaded by some of the larger publishers.

I hate it :( Coming from a poor country it really is the worst when I get a privilege to pay the same high amount of euros as the western EU countries.

Arthea

Yep. If you're going to make me pay twice as much as my friends across the pond, then fuck you, I don't need your shit, basically.

it surely seems overkill from my point of view, not only we pay more already, because of regional pricing, add to that taxes and then payment to the bank for currency conversion to local one. It surely seems that retailers and publishers want us to stop buying games altogether!
but why us? is there any secret message here? (><)

oipic

The new thread is looking typically resplendent - thank you once again, Mr O.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- As ET said so eloquently: 'be good'
- Be careful when posting beyond the safe walls of SteamGAF
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Dust: An Elysian Tail -- MB-C48F00EDAE94E8C0 - Taken by Reckoner. 3 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-3B01D7FA6FB96FEB - Taken by FOX_. 3 entrants total.

t1393117145z1.png

Lain

That youtube video has been set private lol.
Ahhh, I don't want to sound hyperbolic, but my interest in GOG comes first of all in the principles of the service (which a single price is a part of) and then in their selection of some good old games so this change makes me less interested in buying new games from them. Not gonna say I'll never buy from them ever again, because I'll keep buying some old game that's not on Steam but... this makes me like them less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom