• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

wilflare

captureh3kgk.png

come on indeed

the scary power of tainted association

GaussTek

So guys, I remember reading somewhere that Pier Solar HD was coming out today, but it isn't on Steam yet... so, I guess the date was wrong or it got delayed?

Copons

So, is Steam down or what?
Why so many people here talking about FB Rift?
:'(

Not so much an exhaustive list, there's way way way too much stuff, but rather if there's a few games that came out it'd be cool to have their art and maybe if there are notable GAF impressions, quotes from GAF members or something. And for upcoming stuff, I guess anything with a fixed date that seems like a big deal. Don't feel like you need to put in significant work or anything, this isn't your job, so only do this if you want to. Just a reflection that it might be nice.

I'm totally in for a monthly thread (not that my opinion matters anything :D ), but I'm not sure I've understand this.
Are you talking about having an updated list of games in the OP? Wouldn't it be a huge, tremendous amount of work, job or not job, for Mr Orange?

If instead it's something like a self-sustained GAFfer-generated database hosted somewhere else, I'd be totally in, plus I'd be glad to contribute for it coding or something.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
no wall of shame, proud of myself
I posted quite a bit and you still posted more than me, so :p

Yea still can't play Rome II because of steam. Anyone that claims origin is worse then steam is insane.
The problem is not Origin as a software (now), but the company behind it.

This sounds pretty terrible to me, honestly, and worthy of my ire.
The doctor one sounds pretty bad, the others I don't find that ludicrous.

I'm totally in for a monthly thread (not that my opinion matters anything :D ), but I'm not sure I've understand this.
Are you talking about having an updated list of games in the OP? Wouldn't it be a huge, tremendous amount of work, job or not job, for Mr Orange?

It is probably a lot of work, but I think the ios thread has a good model:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777464

Basically it is a monthly thread and a couple of games are highlighted each time. Basically they are "whatever is being talked about" at the time and is generally considered to be good or interesting.

I'd suggest going with that, because it is primarily user driven and still provides a useful reference each month.

draetenth

So, I just got a SSD. Is it better to keep Steam on my hard drive and move certain games to the SSD? or Should I install Steam and select games on my SSD while keeping the rest on the hard drive?

I've read that for the most part the benefits of a SSD on games isn't that important and Steam should be installed on the hard drive with Steam Mover being used to move some games over to the SSD.

Are there any games that benefit from being on the SSD? Would open world games like Stalker, Fallout 3/NV, and something like Dead Rising 2 benefit?

Pretty much this. I have having a hard time thinking objectively about this news, but pretty much believe that Facebook has/had no business buying this company.

It really could've been worse, when it comes to that. Personally, I'd rather have Facebook buying them than Google, Microsoft or Nintendo.

Arthea

IDK guys, I never cared for facebook (never had or plan to have any account there) and I didn't care about Oculus at all, this seems like logical couple to me (><)

mrgone

"Imagine if every status update created a little virtual world that could be explored?" Oh Peter Molydeux, you've become greater than the real thing.

Khronico

"Imagine if every status update created a little virtual world that could be explored?" Oh Peter Molydeux, you've become greater than the real thing.

Suddenly I'm imagining a Monster Rancher game where monsters are created by status updates. That actually sounds really cool.

Copons

It is probably a lot of work, but I think the ios thread has a good model:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=777464

Basically it is a monthly thread and a couple of games are highlighted each time. Basically they are "whatever is being talked about" at the time and is generally considered to be good or interesting.

I'd suggest going with that, because it is primarily user driven and still provides a useful reference each month.

Got it.

Aside from the fact that I find that very hard to read (FAKE EDIT: little less, expanding the browser window :D ), if I understand correctly, that goes like this:

- March Thread
- A new cool hyped game is released
- The thread author update the OP with some infos about that game
- Someone writes something interesting about that game
- The thread author update the OP with that post

It seems sooo uncomfortable for Orange (or whomever), and for the readers too. Let alone the fact that no one reads the OP, I've always found the system of reserving two or three posts to be kinda wrong, because what if you need more than what you reserved?
We're talking about a platform where hundreds of games are released every month, it would be pretty hard if not impossible to keep track of everything, even assuming, like, 10 games OP-worthy.
And of course it would completely lack something like searchability and ease of browsing (something I'm always super anal about).

Regarding the Oculus Rift / FB disaster.
I've been a kinda happy FB user for years now, so I don't actually hate it, but WTF here.
What is the point of such acquisition? Why can't companies stay in their own gardens, doing what they were born to do, and, more importantly, what they do best?
I cannot for the love of gawd think of a single benefit FB could obtain from a tool like Oculus Rift.
And yeah, the doctor thingy is total crap, because then why not ditching real doctors for WebMD or whatever right now instead of waiting for some dumber looking 3D Google Glasses?

Nzyme32

This is quite spectacular

One of the most reviled platforms, with plummeting popularity and consumer trust... acquires one that was set to gain substantial popularity and already had much consumer trust from it's humble beginnings.

Quite incredible to see almost every outlet and forum completely dismayed at the situation.

I hope that alternatives are around, because I certainly do not want my VR PC gaming experience tied to Facebook or any other social network when I don't want it to be

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Imagine a Monster Rancher game where monsters are created by your Steam games.

And to defeat them, you have to play those games.

backlog demolishing metagame

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I think it's a great buy for a Facebook and a great sell for Oculus and I'm not sure why people are upset here. For reference, I have a Facebook account but don't post anything or use Facebook.

Oculus has great tech but no feasible way to scale up manufacturing to hit a mass audience. As other companies get into VR, they'll be at a competitive disadvantage because of that. Facebook capitalizes them extremely well so manufacturing will no longer be an issue for them. Problem solved. There's no reason to believe that Facebook won't allow them continued autonomy, and I assume part of the discussions for the deal involved Facebook actually committing to the gaming side of the market.

Meanwhile, Facebook is a mature company. Just like Microsoft missed the bulk of the wave of internet, search, and social startup success, Facebook generally whiffed mobile. They've made up for lost time with aggressive investment, hiring, and buyouts, but they're still not quite there. It makes sense for them to look to post-mobile technologies. Wearable is one, but no one is doing anything that seems like you could build a business around it or services on top of it. VR could be a future platform. Maybe, maybe not. $2 billion is a pretty small bet, and if the gaming side of Oculus is breakeven or cost recovery in the meantime, it gives Facebook room for growing in the future if VR is the next platform.

So, then the question is, what besides gaming could Oculus do for Facebook? Well, lots of stuff comes to mind. Someone records a video and puts it on Facebook; once camera tech allows for 3d videos or newer formats, Oculus could be a great way to put yourself in the memories other are sharing. Commercial video and especially sports content could be another application (like the stuff Nintendo has sort of in a very amateur way done with the AR/VR travel video stuff they have on Wii U, poorly executed). Facebook has flirted a bit with directly selling content but they're not quite there, but it's an option. Facebook also wants to have more investment in chatting tech; Facebook Messenger has been a very very powerful asset for them, missing out on Snapchat was painful, and WhatsApp is a big strategy for them. Oculus enabled VR video chats in 3d space could be a communication option.

I basically, thus, view this as pretty much an ideal acquisition. Cheap and simple for Facebook that gives them a stake in a possible future so they don't end up missing a big money wave. One of the more independence-granting options for Oculus, and acquisition or massive VC investment would have been the only ways they would have capitalized them well enough to get into consumer manufacturing. Win-win.

*shrugs*

Got it.

Aside from the fact that I find that very hard to read (FAKE EDIT: little less, expanding the browser window :D ), if I understand correctly, that goes like this:

- March Thread
- A new cool hyped game is released
- The thread author update the OP with some infos about that game
- Someone writes something interesting about that game
- The thread author update the OP with that post

It seems sooo uncomfortable for Orange (or whomever), and for the readers too. Let alone the fact that no one reads the OP, I've always found the system of reserving two or three posts to be kinda wrong, because what if you need more than what you reserved?
We're talking about a platform where hundreds of games are released every month, it would be pretty hard if not impossible to keep track of everything, even assuming, like, 10 games OP-worthy.
And of course it would completely lack something like searchability and ease of browsing (something I'm always super anal about).

Regarding the Oculus Rift / FB disaster.
I've been a kinda happy FB user for years now, so I don't actually hate it, but WTF here.
What is the point of such acquisition? Why can't companies stay in their own gardens, doing what they were born to do, and, more importantly, what they do best?
I cannot for the love of gawd think of a single benefit FB could obtain from a tool like Oculus Rift.
And yeah, the doctor thingy is total crap, because then why not ditching real doctors for WebMD or whatever right now instead of waiting for some dumber looking 3D Google Glasses?

Again, the benefit is money.
They think it's going to sell buckets, so they want to own the technology and the patents and all that jazz so they can rake in money hand over fist compared to the initial investment.

Strangely, it makes more sense when you look at it that way than when you look at Amazon's acquisition of Double Helix.

Salsa

I think it's a great buy for a Facebook and a great sell for Oculus and I'm not sure why people are upset here. For reference, I have a Facebook account but don't post anything or use Facebook.

Oculus has great tech but no feasible way to scale up manufacturing to hit a mass audience. As other companies get into VR, they'll be at a competitive disadvantage because of that. Facebook capitalizes them extremely well so manufacturing will no longer be an issue for them. Problem solved. There's no reason to believe that Facebook won't allow them continued autonomy, and I assume part of the discussions for the deal involved Facebook actually committing to the gaming side of the market.

Meanwhile, Facebook is a mature company. Just like Microsoft missed the bulk of the wave of internet, search, and social startup success, Facebook generally whiffed mobile. They've made up for lost time with aggressive investment, hiring, and buyouts, but they're still not quite there. It makes sense for them to look to post-mobile technologies. Wearable is one, but no one is doing anything that seems like you could build a business around it or services on top of it. VR could be a future platform. Maybe, maybe not. $2 billion is a pretty small bet, and if the gaming side of Oculus is breakeven or cost recovery in the meantime, it gives Facebook room for growing in the future if VR is the next platform.

So, then the question is, what besides gaming could Oculus do for Facebook? Well, lots of stuff comes to mind. Someone records a video and puts it on Facebook; once camera tech allows for 3d videos or newer formats, Oculus could be a great way to put yourself in the memories other are sharing. Commercial video and especially sports content could be another application (like the stuff Nintendo has sort of in a very amateur way done with the AR/VR travel video stuff they have on Wii U, poorly executed). Facebook has flirted a bit with directly selling content but they're not quite there, but it's an option. Facebook also wants to have more investment in chatting tech; Facebook Messenger has been a very very powerful asset for them, missing out on Snapchat was painful, and WhatsApp is a big strategy for them. Oculus enabled VR video chats in 3d space could be a communication option.

I basically, thus, view this as pretty much an ideal acquisition. Cheap and simple for Facebook that gives them a stake in a possible future so they don't end up missing a big money wave. One of the more independence-granting options for Oculus, and acquisition or massive VC investment would have been the only ways they would have capitalized them well enough to get into consumer manufacturing. Win-win.

*shrugs*

im not worried about the outcome, im worried about getting there in one piece

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Strangely, it makes more sense when you look at it that way than when you look at Amazon's acquisition of Double Helix.

Amazon bought Double Helix because they're making a console, they want dev teams (they've been hiring like crazy even before the Double Helix thing), and there are very few mid-sized independent developers out there to buy. Among the work-for-hire crowd in the US, Double Helix might have actually been one of the larger options.

Copons

Again, the benefit is money.
They think it's going to sell buckets, so they want to own the technology and the patents and all that jazz so they can rake in money hand over fist compared to the initial investment.

Woah lol, I'm felling super dumb right now to have overlooked that detail, but I'm totally blaming the late hours here. :D

It could seem ironic, but I'm truly serious... :'(

I really enjoyed Two Worlds 2. It's got some serious jank, the voice acting is hilariously awful, and the story is bland, but the gameplay is very fun imo. The magic system is especially awesome. It's also got a ridiculously huge open world if you're into that. Be prepared to die quite a lot in the first few hours, as the difficulty is unerringly brutal in the early game (If I remember correctly, there is no level scaling, so you have to be careful where you travel). Once you start leveling and gaining new abilities, it starts to ease up.

Thanks for the write up, I think I'll give it a punt

Wok

I don't believe in VR. I got caught once, and the "dream" has never become a reality. Nowadays, I don't believe VR could be able to find its place in the homes. And even if it did find its place, it would be a gadget to me, just like the Wii remote controller and the 3D screens (TV or 3DS; I remember reading recently that most people deactivate the 3D on the 3DS).

Amazon bought Double Helix because they're making a console, they want dev teams (they've been hiring like crazy even before the Double Helix thing), and there are very few mid-sized independent developers out there to buy. Among the work-for-hire crowd in the US, Double Helix might have actually been one of the larger options.

Amazon is making a console?
Why? That makes no sense to me.
Ouya and all these one of Android consoles aren't really doing that well as far as I know and they already have an entry in the table space and push their own appstore in the Android market space.

Furthermore, I don't think Double Helix has ever made anything better than a mediocre game (as far as I know, discounting the new KI since I haven't played it and most likely never will).

Not like Notch needs an excuse to drop a project.

Is Burial at Sea Part 2 making anyone else's computer run really hot? Think my computer is dying, used to run Infinite at launch at a pretty steady 60, max settings (stuttering aside) but now it randomly drops to 30 for no reason. Any advice?

Backlogger

It really could've been worse, when it comes to that. Personally, I'd rather have Facebook buying them than Google, Microsoft or Nintendo.

I wouldn't have wanted any of those either, but to me it doesn't even make sense for Facebook to buy them, nor Google arguably. But really I am not being objective because I always hoped the OR would be a PC gaming peripheral which clearly that's not what its going to be and possibly never intended to be limited to that usage.

Meanwhile, Facebook is a mature company.

I see what your post is saying as a whole, but I don't agree that Facebook is a mature company. They are still relatively young in my book and still have yet to prove their long term value. They have tons of investment money though and can make big plays like this but I don't think that makes them mature. I am not a business expert though and that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are a lot of people that would disagree with me on that.

I wouldn't have wanted any of those either, but to me it doesn't even make sense for Facebook to buy them, nor Google arguably. But really I am not being objective because I always hoped the OR would be a PC gaming peripheral which clearly that's not what its going to be and possibly never intended to be limited to that usage.

Why is more applications for a device a bad thing? It means there's more demand and more development behind it which pushes the technology further and makes it cheaper for consumers as the scale grows...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom