• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Amazon is making a console?
Why? That makes no sense to me.
Ouya and all these one of Android consoles aren't really doing that well as far as I know and they already have an entry in the table space and push their own appstore in the Android market space.

They're making a console for the same reason Valve is doing Steam Machines as an initiative -- when you have an extremely lucrative software and services stack to distribute content to users, you want as many hardware options as possible to leverage that.

Ouya is a console that manufactured probably well under one million units made by a startup with extremely limited VC and $10 million from Kickstarter. Selling it relied on retail partners who had no margin and thus no vested interest to sell it. Developing for it required additional development effort for no userbase reward. Amazon is able to self-launch hardware products as they did with the Kindle and Kindle Fire, they are extremely experienced with manufacturing, and they already have the #1 electronic retailer in the world on their side (it's them).

Furthermore, I don't think Double Helix has ever made anything better than a mediocre game (as far as I know, discounting the new KI since I haven't played it and most likely never will).

You're thinking the wrong scope of games, for one, but also I think you underestimate how hard it is to build studios from scratch. It's way easier to hire ten key excellent performers from teams across the country (Amazon has been aggressively hiring for more than a year now) and attach them to a team that, while they haven't produced any particularly good games, is able to meet deadlines and get stuff released than it is to build a studio from scratch with all star performers.

As a platformer owner you also need an internal team for developer support, and that's basically a problem that just requires throwing bodies at it. NST is Nintendo's developer support team in the US; they aren't a particularly great developer, but they do handle an awful lot of developer liason stuff, so they offer value.

The reason why big companies do things, whether they end up working or not, is normally pretty simple if you just stop and think about it for a bit.

captureh3kgk.png

come on indeed
Facebook creeps him out?

Has he seen any of the videos of the Minecraft conventions?

Or is he just desperately trying to secure some "internet cred" with this comment?

Backlogger

Why is more applications for a device a bad thing? It means there's more demand and more development behind it which pushes the technology further and makes it cheaper for consumers as the scale grows...

I guess, but I would rather not own the least common denominator version of VR built for the masses and mass media. I wanted the built for gamers (PC/Console) version.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I see what your post is saying as a whole, but I don't agree that Facebook is a mature company. They are still relatively young in my book and still have yet to prove their long term value. They have tons of investment money though and can make big plays like this but I don't think that makes them mature. I am not a business expert though and that's just my opinion, I'm sure there are a lot of people that would disagree with me on that.

The changes in employee compensation (better benefits, worse equity), hiring patterns (fewer genius all-stars, more people who just get stuff done; larger administrative layer with more outside hires and fewer scrappy upstart kids), corporate culture (aggressive move into lobbying), and the fact that Facebook is buying startups rather than being first-to-market with cutting edge ideas should be enough to tell you they're not a startup anymore, they're a mature company.

Facebook was founded early 2004. Google was founded around 1998. Google in 2008 had already missed social networking and were on the verge of missing mobile before the Android acquisition. The internet went from not a factor to part of daily life in ten years. Social networking and smartphones went from not a factor to part of daily life in five. The old patterns of growth and consolidation are accelerating, both because technology itself is getting faster and because the VC/bizdev/Silicon Valley incubation culture is getting even better at launching companies.

Facebook is at the point where they're no longer the cool, edgy company anymore, which is a real danger to them because it means talent is more likely to go elsewhere or start their own company rather than incubate great ideas through Facebook. That's the backdrop, and that's why they would have loved to buy Twitter, tried to get into location content after trying to buy Foursquare, bought Instagram, tried to buy Snapchat, bought WhatsApp, and are buying Oculus. It's also why companies like Yahoo buy Tumblr and why Microsoft bought Skype. When you're the face of corporate America, you have to use money to grow new products, because you're no longer the place people go with great ideas.

Ryne

Facebook creeps him out?

Or is he just desperately trying to secure some "internet cred" with this comment?

I think he is genuinely concerned.

I don't think it's a big loss either way, despite Minecraft being such a runaway hit.

After my personal hysteria I'm curious to see how much freedom Oculus is going to have, I hope Facebook don't interfere and try to push the consumer version too early.

Just remembered I had this, so if anyone wants it.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Enclave -- MB-62170187F63820F3 - Taken by Garcia

Aerocrane

They can just give him his 10k back with interest now.

I get his worry on Facebook's constantly changing goals, but we don't know yet how (or if at all) Oculus is going to be integrated into Facebook as a company. Will they be just a division that happens to work on VR or a somewhat independent entity which just happens to receive funding through Facebook?

In the meantime, I'll put on my tinfoil hat:
BjnCw7CCYAACz95.jpg:large

Garcia

t.

BTW, here is a list of all the Steam announcement threads with how long they lasted:

Thread 1 (2008) : STEAM - announcements, updates and WIN (815 days)
Thread 2 (2010) : STEAM - Announcements & Updates 2010 (138 days)
Thread 3 (2011) : STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition (176 days)
Thread 4 (2011) : STEAM- Announcements & Updates 2011 Edition |OT2| (105 days)
Thread 5 (2011) : STEAM announcements & updates 2011 Thread 3 | Buy now, play later. (73 days)
Thread 6 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread - Summer sales usually last week of June (160 days)
Thread 7 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 2 - Bad Rats Daily Deal for next 6 months (66 days)
Thread 8 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 3 - (100 days)
Thread 9 (2012) : STEAM announcements & updates 2012 Thread 4 - winter seal is coming (24 days)
Thread 10 (2013) : STEAM announcements & updates 2013 - Year of the SteamBox (89 days)
Thread 11 (2013) : STEAM announcements & updates 2013 II - ITT we buy $1 games and complain about them (74 days)
Thread 12 (2013) : STEAM Announcements/Updates 2013 - Summer sale start date? No one knows, don't ask (24 days)
Thread 13 (2013) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 IV - Christmas in July is over, back to real life (24 days)
Thread 14 (2013) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2013 V - Message Modbot for Good Time 1-800-555-READOP (34 days)
Thread 15 (2013) : STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates: 6, GFWL: 0 | Number of hours played bugged (37 days)
Thread 16 (2013) : STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VII:Friends with benefits (30 days)
Thread 17 (2013) : STEAM 2013 Announcements & Updates VIII - Don't ask when the sales are starting. (30 days)
Thread 18 (2014) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond! (22 days)
Thread 19 (2014) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - The Definitive Edition (30 days)
Thread 20 (2014) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 III - Don't Believe The Tags (32 days)
Thread 21 (2014) : STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 IV - For me it was Tuesday (?)

Seems like monthly threads would be perfect in the long run.

So the most recent Steam threads are beginning to move at "holiday sale" speeds now?. Dat momentum. :eek:

Just remembered I had this, so if anyone wants it.

Thank you! :D

Tellaerin

Facebook creeps him out?

You think the possibility of meeting some oddballs at a convention is creepier than a service that seems dedicated to collecting peoples' personal data while integrating itself as tightly as possible with their personal lives? Seriously?

Potential employers aren't going to be looking at my Minecraft account info before hiring me for a job. :p The fact that we're at a point where Facebook screening needs to be a consideration for applicants (and choosing not to have a Facebook account is actually a mark against you for certain employers) is pretty goddamn creepy, IMO. So yeah, it's easy to take swipes at Notch, but I don't automatically think he's wrong here.

Reading the original Steam thread is fun. So many names I don't recognize, and things were so different back then. And this:

I feel bad buying stuff on Steam. I mean, a few minutes ago I thought it'd be nice to replay one of the GTA3's. I went on Steam and noticed that I could buy a "Rockstar Collection" which is ALL GTA's (minus 4 of course) from 1 to San Andreas, plus both Max Payne's, Manhunt, Midnight Club 2, and Wild Metal Country, for less than 60 euros (80 something bucks). Ker-CHING!

Now I'm looking at the Eidos Everything Pack, which includes the following 20 games:

Battlestations: Midway
Commandos 2: Men of Courage
Commandos 3: Destination Berlin
Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
Commandos: Beyond the Call of Duty
Commandos: Strike Force
Conflict: Denied Ops
Deus Ex: Game of the Year Edition
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin
Hitman: Blood Money
Hitman: Codename 47
Infernal
Just Cause
Kane and Lynch: Dead Men (har har 5 bucks already)
Project: Snowblind
Rogue Trooper
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Tomb Raider: Anniversary
Tomb Raider:Legend

All this for $100 ex. VAT, AKA "little more than $5 a pop", which after taxes should be about 80 something euros for me.

I mean... this shit is incredible. I feel like a burglar. I feel like I'm ROBBING Valve, Rockstar, Eidos, everyone. And I can't stop. :lol

PS: This reads almost like I work for Valve, but I don't. It's just... Steam is awesome. :D

Them prices :X

Turfster

You think the possibility of meeting some oddballs at a convention is creepier than a service that seems dedicated to collecting peoples' personal data while integrating itself as tightly as possible with their personal lives? Seriously?

Potential employers aren't going to be looking at my Minecraft account info before hiring me for a job. :p The fact that we're at a point where Facebook screening needs to be a consideration for applicants (and choosing not to have a Facebook account is actually a mark against you for certain employers) is pretty goddamn creepy.
This.
The whole "hey let's throw our whole lives onto this site and give them all the information they want and more by linking it to everything else we do" trend that's currently going on is terrifying to me.

Them prices :X
Hey, I remember that year! =p

I get his worry on Facebook's constantly changing goals, but we don't know yet how (or if at all) Oculus is going to be integrated into Facebook as a company. Will they be just a division that happens to work on VR or a somewhat independent entity which just happens to receive funding through Facebook?

In the meantime, I'll put on my tinfoil hat:

qWzHQ9Hl.jpg

Lunaniem

I stopped using Facebook for a number of reasons, but I'd be lying if I tried to claim the primary one was morals. The service simply stopped being useful the bigger it got. It basically serves as a direct feed to the type of content that was once limited to chain emails (conspiracy theory, bad jokes, links to insipid content).

That said, much like Notch says, Facebook simply creeps me out. While none of these big tech companies are out for the greater good, they specifically strike me as somewhat amoral in their intentions. They seem to be buying anything with even the slightest potential in tech, from WhatsApp to Instagram to Occulus, which I simply find a bit unnerving. I wish these companies could grow and become competitive independent of Facebook.

They seemed to have bought WhatsApp and Instagram mainly for the userbase, but the Oculus purchase is weird.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
For those in the fence about CKII, the base game and a few extra DLC I had laying around. I THINK every code works.

Hey, thanks for the song pack. Turns out I already had it and I confused it with Hymns of The Old Gods which is the only one I don't have, sorry fellow gaffers.

Too lazy to do a ModBot giveaway for it so first one to PM me gets the Songs of Faith music pack for CKII

Nzyme32

Thank you so much to Alien8 for Hydrophobia & BinaryPork2737 for Dysfunctional Systems! I was literally going to buy them last week except steam was down!

This.
The whole "hey let's throw our whole lives onto this site and give them all the information they want and more by linking it to everything else we do" trend that's currently going on is terrifying to me.

To be honest, I value my steam account much higher than my facebook account. If only one had to be hacked, they can have the pictures of my cat.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I stopped using Facebook for a number of reasons, but I'd be lying if I tried to claim the primary one was morals. The service simply stopped being useful the bigger it got. It basically serves as a direct feed to the type of content that was once limited to chain emails (conspiracy theory, bad jokes, links to insipid content).

So, as someone that uses Twitter actively and doesn't use Facebook, Facebook is vastly superior at content filtering to Twitter.

Twitter's model:
- Binary on/off privacy switch
- Asynchronous friends (so someone can friend you and you can not friend them or vice versa). Better than synchronous friendship.
- Turning off retweets (things users share from people they follow but you don't) on a per-user basis.

Facebook's model:
- Extremely granular level of privacy on a per-piece of content basis
- Synchronous friends, but asynchronous content following. Better than Twitter's model, because I can log relationships with people who are important to me, but whose content I am not interested in seeing. If someone posts a chain email, unfollow them. You'll still be friends. They'll still see your stuff if you want them to. They won't know you've unfollowed them. You'll still be able to see your stuff if you manually try to. But you'll be free from their garbage.
- Extensive blocking ability for re-shared content on top of being able to unfollow the original person.

This obviously doesn't attenuate the privacy concerns about sharing stuff with Facebook, I'm strictly talking quality of content here. If you don't want to see garbage on your Facebook theme, it's pretty easy to get it to the point where you'e not seeing garbage on your Facebook feed.

Garcia

BinaryPork2737, thank you for Gemini Wars, man. :)

The OR news thread is such a Gigaton. Almost 200k views in just 3 hours.

I grabbed Nail'd for a buck. Seems really cool so far.

However, a caveat: it appears the online servers were shut down (which I knew ahead of time), so the game apparently won't allow you to create an online profile as a result. There's a way to switch to a local profile, but it took me a few minutes to realize that. Just letting everyone know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom