• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ban Puncher

So who is ready for some Lightning Bolt Raffle action!!!

I did promise a give away at some point in time during the winter sale and totally failed to come through on it. So have some of this instead!

tumblr_mu3zgsJipl1skpaa0o1_500.gif

Beat Call of Juarez: Gunslinger last night.

Thanks to the one on Steam who commented on one of my pictures and suggested the video.scr edit to get full screen and set POV. I hadn't noticed the game isn't full screen on default (there's a weird letterbox effect), but, the config edit takes that away. Game looks much better now.

Overall, it's a corridor shooter. As such, it'd work very, very well as an add-on to Typing of the Dead. The ways some scenes change as the story changes is implemented is a cool effect. Without such a solid story, it probably knocks the game down a couple more steps. Just the way it's told is clever and it works.

It is not a long game, maybe 5 hours (I'll have to check my time), but, feels like once you've shot a guy in a red bandana popping out from behind a barrel, you've shot them all a bit. Scenes try to change this up, but, it's still basically the same formula.

I did also have an issue with the guns, realize maybe it's probably a design of the types of guns from the era, but, on many, many occasions, I had guys 20 yards off in the distance with a rifle, iron sights lined up, and it'd take 4 shots to connect. Dunno if that's bullet flight or poor hit detection.

The slowdown effect (Concentration) is also woefully short to use. There's probably an unlock to increase this value, but, on default, it's almost worthless. (unless, again, I missed a way to have it recharge faster or last longer)

Duels aren't fantastic either, it's a hard mechanic, I know what they were trying to do. I just ended up killing everyone dishonorably. Sorry, didn't care to work through it.

Overall, for a $5 game (what I paid on a flash sale), not bad, but, $5 can buy you a lot of Steam, especially during a sale. That said, it's probably closer to a $2.50 range game.

It has a 79 metacritic, I can't disagree with it, it isn't a D game and it isn't a B game. C+

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Is that triangle symbol some type of Ubisoft thing? I think I saw the same thing on some side mission I recently did on Far Cry 3

It's the universal symbol for caution. :p

Edit: Unless you're referring to the Abstergo logo, in which case, yes.

Is that triangle symbol some type of Ubisoft thing? I think I saw the same thing on some side mission I recently did on Far Cry 3

The triangle is the icon for the "animus" in asscreed games. They've been using it as the default iconography for random UI stuff since the 1st game. Or yeah abstergo. Whatever it's some in "universe" icon nonsense.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
That is the abstergo logo I think. I have also noticed that Ubisoft uses the same icons across their games.

Ubi likes to cross-pollinate its fiction. One of the information documents you find in the modern-day setting in Black Flag is a pitch presentation extolling the benefits of ctOS (the security/surveillance system that Watch Dogs is based around).

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Tiny & Big never really got the love it deserved. Such a cool experience with a wonderful soundtrack. And it's so short you have no excuse not to give it a shot if you own it.
Agreed, cool little game. I was surprised by how charming it was. Dope art direction too.

Ubi likes to cross-pollinate its fiction. One of the information documents you find in the modern-day setting in Black Flag is a pitch presentation extolling the benefits of ctOS (the security/surveillance system that Watch Dogs is based around).

Thats because
Watch Dogs is set in the same universe as Assassin's Creed

Turfster

So who is ready for some Lightning Bolt Raffle action!!!

I did promise a give away at some point in time during the winter sale and totally failed to come through on it. So have some of this instead!
Holy lightning, I won! Thanks!

For further scientific research, note that Monkey Island quotes seem to work.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Speaking of Watch_Dogs, I'm so pumped for like all of Ubi's slate this year:

-AC: Liberation (supposedly they did more than enhance the GFX, preordered since it's 20$)
-Child of Light (amazing art/price point, will preorder ASAP)
-Valiant Hearts (amazing concept/art/price point, will preorder ASAP)
-Watch Dogs (Ass Creed + GTA love it, will preorder ASAP)
-Ass Creed 5 (give zero fucks, snort the series like cocaine)
-Far Cry 4 (FC3 + Blood Dragon completely redeemed the series)

This post will probably give Derrick a stroke.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Loving Tiny & Big, really fun game. It's absolutely gorgeous and the atmosphere is deliciously weird. Played an hour and i'm now getting the hang of the cutting mechanics, they work pretty darn well. Slicing rocks in half to create paths is fun stuff. The platforming feels kinda off, though.
Lot's of hidden jokes and goodies as well.
Thanks again, spindoctor! :)

Deques

More free games
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Doc Clock: Toasted Sandwich of Time -- MB-6190D707F87FB4A5 - Taken by fozzy
Plain Sight -- MB-4BDA1BB3723EB212 - Taken by ohblahitsme
And Yet It Moves -- MB-9DDF315EEBB5ED38 - Taken by Crentist the Dentist
Snuggle Truck -- MB-23CEA36B2F74DBA0 - Taken by dave is ok

Turfster

Speaking of Watch_Dogs, I'm so pumped for like all of Ubi's slate this year:

-Child of Light (amazing art/price point, will preorder ASAP)
-Valiant Hearts (amazing concept/art/price point, will preorder ASAP)
I'm looking forward to these two.
Child of Light already appeared on Steam.
No sight of sad wardogs in snow yet, though.

Dr Dogg

I'm still on the fence about Liberation. On one hand I got the feeling not a lot of work will have gone into it other than a straight port but on the other its £16 and will be probably even cheaper from traders.

I'm obviously kidding myself as I'm going to buy it regardless

NaM

Does not have twelve inches...
I'm still on the fence about Liberation. On one hand I got the feeling not a lot of work will have gone into it other than a straight port but on the other its £16 and will be probably even cheaper from traders.

I'm obviously kidding myself as I'm going to buy it regardless

I didn't know there were so many AssCreed fans here.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I'm looking forward to these two.
Child of Light already appeared on Steam.
No sight of sad wardogs in snow yet, though.

They probably wanna separate the releases a bit so the sales don't cannabalize each other. In retrospect I think that might have happened with Blood Dragon and Gunslinger. I did buy both at full price, but I waited a couple weeks on Gunslinger.

Turfster

They probably wanna separate the releases a bit so the sales don't cannabalize each other. In retrospect I think that might have happened with Blood Dragon and Gunslinger. I did buy both at full price, but I waited a couple weeks on Gunslinger.

Yeah, sounds like a good idea.
Of course, Ubi being Ubi, they'll probably release them without any fanfare while pushing Tom Clancy's AssCrud 21.

(Also, please don't uPlay them, Ubi. See? Gunslinger didn't have uPlay and I bought it. Learn from this experience.)

Just Dance 3 sold 7 million copies or something. Also, just look at all the DDR-alikes.

MRORANGE

When Activision guts you they leave you to make COD map packs, which High Moon is undoubtedly doing just like Raven. A job is better than no job, but the spirit of High Moon has literally nothing to offer COD. They belong working with media IPs that interest them.

Either way, I'm never going to get to play Transformers: Revenge of Cybertron so it is a sad day.

*pats*

fantomena

Amazons Editors Choice is so freaking awful. Only bought Marlow and Defense Technica. The other deals are insanely awful, even with that 5$ coupon.

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Amazons Editors Choice is so freaking awful. Only bought Marlow and Defense Technica. The other deals are insanely awful, even with that 5$ coupon.

Sid Meyer's Space whatever + DLC for .99 cents is pretty good.

But yeah, other than Brothers (which we all already bought), these are terrible.

Welcome to Amazon's Editor's Choice. It's always terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom