• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
As you are so knowledgeable in these things, what's a point to remove a game from steam? Even if it sell very little, with right discount it still sells over time (not talking about Acti here, that's other matter entirely)
And I know that Konami doesn't make sense most of the time, it's just general question.

99% of the time it's due to legal reasons, such as a publishing contract expiring or a licence lapsing. The other 1% of the time it's due to something dumb, like EA yanking Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 to prop up Origin or Atari yanking Ghostbusters and Riddick because magical fairies told it to.

Nabs

I planned on picking that up during the sales but missed it when it was on the humble store unfortunately. I will get it next time for sure though :)

tumblr_m3k5sueZCY1qbx51ho1_250.gif

JaseC

Hahaha yeah I just realised that and edited my other post. I think how late it came to Steam and how close it was to the current version threw me off. I'm surprised it's lasted this long.

Are football licences typically granted on a yearly, per-game basis? I'd always assumed Sega yanks the previous-year's Football Manager because it enjoys being a dick, plus such an approach is oddly short-sighted.

Edit: You saying that the timing doesn't add up also makes me think that the earlier games being pulled is a calculated rather than forced move.

Copons

99% of the time it's due to legal reasons, such as a publishing contract expiring or a licence lapsing. The other 1% of the time it's due to something dumb, like EA yanking Crysis 2 and Dragon Age 2 to prop up Origin or Atari yanking Ghostbusters and Riddick because magical fairies told it to.

Kinda like this explanation. I'll conform with it from now on.

vermadas

And that's all, folks:

mrock26nkzj.jpg

Am I reading this right that you got 50 keys for two Motor Rocks? Basically about $50 per? I have a copy of the game in my inventory also but wasn't sure how to find out how much it's worth. Is there a good place to find the value of this stuff?

If it's worth a lot I'll need to decide to trade for keys/$ or try to find a copy of Blur, which is the only removed Steam game that I really want...

Brainsaw

Neo Member
Omg, I hate you guys! Why did you have to point out that superdeal at Amazon with Darksiders 2 etc?!

Is there like a SteamGAF Anonymous for ppl like me? Must kick the habit of purchasing all digital games for ~$10, otherwise I'll be dirt poor
in like 200 years time

I'll never be able to appreciate console games or regular retail prices ever again...

JaseC

Am I reading this right that you got 50 keys for two Motor Rocks? Basically about $50 per? I have a copy of the game in my inventory also but wasn't sure how to find out how much it's worth. Is there a good place to find the value of this stuff?

If it's worth a lot I'll need to decide to trade for keys/$ or try to find a copy of Blur, which is the only removed Steam game that I really want...

Yeah, today I sold all three copies for 25 keys a piece. I'm set to make about $164 from an $11 investment. As for ascertaining value, I just kept an eye on TF2 Outpost.

Arthea

Those fairy tricksters!
I thought so, just wanted to be sure that I'm not missing anything.

How dare you!

I thought the game was pretty 'meh' when it came out and had a community. god knows how bad it will be now

Rule No.1) Never expect anything helpful from SPUF

Rule No.2) If its an old game that's been sloppily ported over first stop is always compatibility mode. You'll be surprised how often just this works.

Rule No.3) If nothing you try doesn't work then it's like my grandad used to say 'You can't polish a turd'.

I will try compatibility mode because I love me some mediocre third person shooters.

Dr Dogg

Are football licences typically granted on a per-game basis? I'd always assumed Sega yanked the previous-year's Football Manager because it enjoys being a dick.

There's quite a lot of different ones on a league by league basis and changes all the time. For example FM has a license from FIFPRO for real player names but either League or individual club licenses to have player likeness and correct competition and club logos. More than likely due to they have licensed certain clubs for a set time and as such they expired. They had a license for Juventus back in 2007 when they went down a division due to match fixing but not for Seria B so it could be something like that. then again FM hasn't really changed that much over the last 4 years so they need an incentive for people to get off their arse and buy the latest one.

EA's FIFA has the Premier League and German Bundesliga sewn up for years and years and they only grant 1 license for 1 game at a time. Some times there's exceptions like something along the line of 2 clubs from the Premier League at any one time can indivualy licenses themselves out.

It's a constantly changing minefield though. When I used to hang around PESFan's forums the amount of rage on display was hilarious.

I'm pretty sure it's all changed again by now. But as you know the golden rule if it's a licensed property buy it asap.

Edit: Regards to your edit, every year when the new season rolls around, on PSN and XBL EA first discount then remove the Ultimate Team stuff and Konami yank their updates for the past games. So I'm pretty sure you're right in that it's calculated.

Echoplx

Yeah, today I sold all three copies for 25 keys a piece. I'm set to make about $164 from an $11 investment. As for ascertaining value, I just kept an eye on TF2 Outpost.

Aren't they removing all the copyrighted content and putting it back up for sale? Imagine how those guys will feel...

Oh well, their loss is your gain :p

maty

Rogue Legacy... I'm not a fan. Places too much importance on items over player skill when it comes to progression, and the grinding is ridiculous.

Beat the first two bosses and that was enough for me, was fun for a while I guess.

Yep, feeling the same way. I probably need to play more hours to decide whether I like it or not.

On a side note, I'll post it here since the Deadlight thread is dead. If anyone was having problems unlocking the "spread the disease" achievement someone has discovered the cause of this bug. It was having more than 100 friends lol
To unlock it you need to block all your friends except someone who has played the game. Launch it, check the leaderboards and done.
After that you unblock your friends. Already tried it myself and it worked.

JaseC

Aren't they removing all the copyrighted content and putting it back up for sale? Imagine how those guys will feel...

Oh well, their loss is your gain :p

Well, the devs seem to be under the impression that if they remove all direct links to RnR Racing they'll then be able to put the game back up, but seeing as they were under the mistaken impression that they had the right to sell it in its previous, blatant copy-and-paste form, who knows if this is actually the case.

Edit: Assuming the devs did originally get the go-ahead from Blizzard to release the game as they so claim, I think the elephant in the room they're ignoring is that their remake was originally supposed to be free, meaning Blizzard's green light doesn't apply -- at the time it was a hobbyist fan project rather than a commercial product.

Arthea

Omg, I hate you guys! Why did you have to point out that superdeal at Amazon with Darksiders 2 etc?!

Is there like a SteamGAF Anonymous for ppl like me? Must kick the habit of purchasing all digital games for ~$10, otherwise I'll be dirt poor
in like 200 years time

I'll never be able to appreciate console games or regular retail prices ever again...

It's not that bad, really. Being dirty poor means we have to wait for deals on console games too, deals happen, even if not in ways we are accustomed to.

JaseC

I was going to say if you look at the start up splash screen you do see individual clubs listed there but then I realised it's you. I got the feeling you've never installed let alone started up any of your copies yet :p

Guilty as charged! I'm not the slightest bit interested in soccer. ;)

JaseC

You have 2,222 games exactly on your steam profile atm, you should stop there, that's a good number.

tumblr_inline_mjzbsyriapzz.gif

haha maybe the guy wants Fallout Collection too? :D

Seems by the nickname he's russian, and the game is not available here. Yet. Still, nice, Jace :D

Haha, unfortunately it seems cheap copies of the Fallout Collection are still in abundance, but if Bethesda takes its sweet time bringing the games back you may be able to flog it off for a decent price.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748547

Not sure if Stallion Free is upset that it has come to this or happy for a new cod game.

When Activision guts you they leave you to make COD map packs, which High Moon is undoubtedly doing just like Raven. A job is better than no job, but the spirit of High Moon has literally nothing to offer COD. They belong working with media IPs that interest them.

Either way, I'm never going to get to play Transformers: Revenge of Cybertron so it is a sad day.

Lain

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 6 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Botanicula -- MB-503B69EC413867BB - Taken by topyy
Machinarium -- MB-FCED257077EF5461 - Taken by Dolken
Shelter -- MB-8C659951DB7574D8 - Taken by wetflame
Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness 3 -- MB-E4D41EC747308379 - Taken by Freezard
On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness, Episode One -- MB-2DD48E07C67C8215 - Taken by Deques
Tiny & Big: Grandpa's Leftovers Soundtrack Edition -- MB-22EE71B7C98C47DE - Taken by Cheddahz

Some stuff that I hope some people will have fun with.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
Some stuff that I hope some people will have fun with.

I managed to grab Shelter, thanks a lot! I've been really interested in that for a while so am looking forward to trying it out. Depending on what games get revealed in the second week of the humble bundle I'll probably end up doing a giveaway of my own. I have most of the games in the bundle (except for Reus and Joe Danger) but I'll probably grab it if they reveal some decent games I don't have, and so I'll have a few spares to give away (although at that point I'm sure everyone will have them anyway). Anyway, thanks for Shelter!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Tiny & Big never really got the love it deserved. Such a cool experience with a wonderful soundtrack. And it's so short you have no excuse not to give it a shot if you own it.

So who is ready for some Lightning Bolt Raffle action!!!

I did promise a give away at some point in time during the winter sale and totally failed to come through on it. So have some of this instead!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Lightning Bolt Action -- MB-B3ACBF320BDB6CD4 - Taken by Turfster. 22 entrants total.

t1389280466z1.png

JaseC

Now I wish I listened to Jase about MR during the sale :(

At least you're now prepared for similar future cases!

What's the story behind Motor Rocks?
Seems like it was not up on Steam very long.

What Turfster said, and:

Well, the devs seem to be under the impression that if they remove all direct links to RnR Racing they'll then be able to put the game back up, but seeing as they were under the mistaken impression that they had the right to sell it in its previous, blatant copy-and-paste form, who knows if this is actually the case.

Edit: Assuming the devs did originally get the go-ahead from Blizzard to release the game as they so claim, I think the elephant in the room they're ignoring is that their remake was originally supposed to be free, meaning Blizzard's green light doesn't apply -- at the time it was a hobbyist fan project rather than a commercial product.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom