• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cth

New Humble Weekly: The Roguelike Bundle

Regular tier:

Paranautical Activity
Dungeons of Dredmor Complete
Hack, Slash, Loot

BTA: ($6)
Binding of Issac + Wrath of the Lamb
NEOGAF'S STEAM GOTY TELEGLITCH
Sword of the Stars: The Pit Gold

Hrm, don't have HSL or PA.. Although, I just bought Eldritch yesterday.. Is PA similar (sans the HPL stuff?)

Alan Wake's American Nightmare, I have this yet still not gotten around to playing it. I have a backlog, is it worth my time?

It depends. I hated that game, poor's man Max Payne 3. All the cool stuff that Alan Wake had got lost, it's extremely repetitive and combat oriented.

I liked the villain though.

Zafir

Indiegala extra's, good luck!

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below that corresponds to the key you want (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering).

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Mount & Blade -- MB-10A054184CFF7833 - Taken by jmizzal. 14 entrants total.
War of the Roses: Kingmaker -- MB-F6E055D3BB47F5D2 - Taken by Lain. 1 entrants total.
Leviathan: Warship -- MB-5BDDC6A47ED37F04 - Taken by awwyeahgurrl. 5 entrants total.

t1390524159z1.png

I plan to mess with it more tonight (I had to wipe one of my machines last night that was giving me trouble), but I was getting just under 30 FPS streaming Skyrim. I didn't fight a dragon, but in combat it only dropped maybe 2-3 frames at most.

What games did you try? Are you on a wireless or wired network?

Mostly tried Saints Row IV, my main PC is on a wired connection and my laptop is wireless.

Usually get 60 FPS on Saints Row IV maxed out but my FPS drops to 30 once I turn on streaming

Leg-End

It depends. I hated that game, poor's man Max Payne 3. All the cool stuff that Alan Wake had got lost, it's extremely repetitive and combat oriented.

I liked the villain though.

No. Its mediocre, is go to point A to point B and then C and again with a shitty story.

Urgh, I wasn't a huge fan of the originals combat in the first place. I'll shuffle it down the list and come back to it during a lull. Thanks guys.

Turfster

Has anyone here finished Shelter? Is it any good/how long is the game?

I played the first mission/part/area and thought it was quite adorable.

It's... kinda opaque at times (no explanation for the
night "stay in the spotlight or babies die"
mechanic, for example), and you can lose babies due to bad pathfinding. I gave up when I wanted/needed to enter a cave and it kept bouncing me back out.
Also, it's wasd locked with no azerty support or option to change it, which is just sad in this day and age.

Caerith

Alan Wake's American Nightmare, I have this yet still not gotten around to playing it. I have a backlog, is it worth my time?

American Nightmare fixes everything wrong with Alan Wake. It also fixes everything right with Alan Wake. It's pretty short though so you might as well play it and form you own opinion.

I didn't like them. :p Teleglitch is interesting but in my opinion it's way too hard from the off. Also, it's not really a roguelike, it's more of a top down shooter.

Teleglitch is a top down Doom with rogue-like elements, The level lay-out, enemy mobs and items are all randomised and it has perma-death but it's not turn-based. I like Teleglitch quite a bit but the random aspect of item drops makes it really difficult beyond the first few areas. You have to be so sparing with your ammunition and a bit lucky to find the right crafting materials (you can make all manner of items from weapons to improvised explosives) or straight up weapon upgrades.

I've sunk about 8 hours into the game so far. Played it over 60 times, have yet to beat it.

Thank you both - teleglitch isn't sounding like something that I'd be very interested in. I'll just pass on the bundle for now.

Relax.MX

American Nightmare fixes everything wrong with Alan Wake. It also fixes everything right with Alan Wake. It's pretty short though so you might as well play it and form you own opinion.

Not short enough, I got bored. But im with you just play the game and create your opinion.

nexen

This may not be the right place for it, but GAF outside of steamGAF is scary.

The PC port of NFS:Rivals is an absolute travesty.

Locked physics sim rate is the real problem, not the 30fps cap.

If your frame rate dips you go into slow motion. So if you are going 120mph at 15fps you are effectively going 60mph. But the race timers remain at real time.
So ... about those time trials? Yeah. That works just as well as it sounds.

Plus the game is always online and your opponents may or may not be operating at the correct physics rate. It is absolutely mind blowing that they released the game in this state. It is awful.

vocab

Well I'm not a fan of these types of indie games. And yeah, Dredmor and Isaac have been in other bundles or are dirt cheap. Also just the sight of Dredmor makes me go red, so I guess that was my initial impression of the bundle ;)

ijXlvjW.jpg

Talk about missing the point.

Caerith

If your frame rate dips you go into slow motion. So if you are going 120mph at 15fps you are effectively going 60mph. But the race timers remain at real time.

Plus the game is always online and your opponents may or may not be operating at the correct physics rate. It is absolutely mind blowing that they released the game in this state. It is awful.

Early Access?

Zafir

If it's like the PS4 version, you can set it so it creates a private lobby.

Doesn't solve the frame rate issues though. :/

nexen

Early Access?

Sadly no. This is a full, multi-platform release by Electronic Arts. Probably less of a problem on consoles because known hardware and they can tune it to keep the framerate up.
Not something easily patchable, I'd imagine. I bet their physics system relies on fixed stepping. Just awful.

Exuro

God damnit Comcast. Order 50mbps on the cheap and they never got the order even though I received a confirmation email.

nexen

EA game is EA game shocker.

I've enjoyed most of the Need for Speed games, especially the ones from the recent Hot Pursuit on. Even The Run was 'ok'. Past this glaring technical issue the game looks amazing and is probably as fun as the others. I've heard good things about the ps4 version.

But this is a broken game by any standards and it is shameful that they released it this state.

edit: I'm going to try to play it on my beast rig and see if I can get a stable 30hz. but that means I have to lurk in the basement to play. *RAGE*.

Dr Dogg

I've enjoyed most of the Need for Speed games, especially the ones from the recent Hot Pursuit on. Even The Run was 'ok'. Past this glaring technical issue the game looks amazing and is probably as fun as the others. I've heard good things about the ps4 version.

But this is a broken game by any standards and it is shameful that they released it this state.

edit: I'm going to try to play it on my beast rig and see if I can get a stable 30hz. but that means I have to lurk in the basement to play. *RAGE*.

Yeah I was never a fan of the series after EA got their grubby hands on it until Criterion came on board. Granted Most Wanted has a few hickups and was a bit of a glorified Burnout but did have fun with it.

On the subject of Rivals have you seen this about a 60fps work around?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378624&page=11

Unlocks the framerate and settles the animations down but needs rock steady performance.

nexen

Yeah I was never a fan of the series after EA got their grubby hands on it until Criterion came on board. Granted Most Wanted has a few hickups and was a bit of a glorified Burnout but did have fun with it.

On the subject of Rivals have you seen this about a 60fps work around?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=378624&page=11

Unlocks the framerate and settles the animations down but needs rock steady performance.

I can't reach a stable 30hz on my (preferred) rig, let alone 60. That fix would only make things worse for me.

I could deal with a 30 fps racer with occasional dips. It would be disappointing, but I'd manage. But I can't deal with a racing game where the flow of time is variable. It is just broken :[

edit: Need for Speed: Most Wanted is probably my favorite arcade racer of all time. Burnout Paradise with licensed supercars is pretty much all I ever wanted.

Gvaz

Banned
What do you have? I could pretty much play it with everything in the setting menu maxed out with my GTX 460.

I had an HD4890 and if i put it on medium settings I was lucky to get 25fps which was way too janky at 1920x1200.

Now since that one died, im using a backup, which is an HD5550. From what I can tell it's like, 25% weaker. I need to see if someone has a spare graphics card lying around they'd sell me for cheap or give away...

Grief.exe

Posting again to get the word out for those that don't know. Hopefully people don't get too annoyed, I just feel very strongly about diversifying the platform.

Sign the petition, retweet on Twitter, and check out Reddit to help out the campaign.

PC Gamers Assemble!

newsteam-assemble-gif.gif

Let's come together as a community and show Sega that the demand for Bayo, Vanquish, VF5, Valkyria Chronicles, and more is there.

Petition
GAF Thread
Retweet to spread the word

Got a couple Reddit threads up and I would appreciate taking the time to check them out and join in on the discussion.

Usually have some backlash on Reddit from console warriors for whatever reason. I did include a section for, 'I'm console-only, why should I care?'

r/Steam

r/PCGaming

r/pcmasterrace

r/Gaming

EDIT: r/games thread killed due to 'no petitions' rule. I changed the wording in order to skirt the rules but they were onto me.

Dr Dogg

I can't reach a stable 30hz on my (preferred) rig, let alone 60. That fix would only make things worse for me.

I could deal with a 30 fps racer with occasional dips. It would be disappointing, but I'd manage. But I can't deal with a racing game where the flow of time is variable. It is just broken :[

edit: Need for Speed: Most Wanted is probably my favorite arcade racer of all time. Burnout Paradise with licensed supercars is pretty much all I ever wanted.

And better still no DJ Atomica!

The DLC's for Most Wanted are actually not bad either (providing you get the bundle cheap).

nexen

And better still no DJ Atomica!

The DLC's for Most Wanted are actually not bad either (providing you get the bundle cheap).

I got them for free because GMG is awesome and gave me free stuff.
The airport is insane. Feels like a Tony Hawk game.

Where did that dog come from?
I've been thinking about this for the last 10 minutes. It's just materializing out of nowhere.
it had to of been right behind the chair and jumped backwards as he was falling with quick reflexes? or maybe a magic trick
Seriously guys? The "dog" is the beer can rolling towards the wall and spewing its now fizzy contents out onto the floor.
Just catching up with the thread and this exchange had me bursting out laughing, it's like a Scooby-Doo revelation.
I saw a dog too.

Tenrius

Company of Heroes 2 is pretty great. Nothing more satisfying than obliterating everything with a Katyusha barrage or breaking the ice under an enemy tank crossing the river.

Shawn6661

Company of Heroes 2 is pretty great. Nothing more satisfying than obliterating everything with a Katyusha barrage or breaking the ice under an enemy tank crossing the river.

COH2 is, from what i played in the beta, good but nowhere as good as the first one.

ModBot said:
Instructions for Grampa Simpson:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two:

Hack, Slash, Loot -- MB-AD17775DA4E95E6A - Taken by bobnowhere. 16 entrants total.

t1390521368z1.png

Forgot to post this earlier.

Vecks

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line below containing the key.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.

Paranautical Activity -- MB-1B8FD464D6A55C57 - Taken by bronson. 11 entrants total.

t1390517632z1.png
Here.

Posting again to get the word out for those that don't know. Hopefully people don't get too annoyed, I just feel very strongly about diversifying the platform.

Put up a new thread on r/Games since the last post. Hopefully people can check it out and join in on the discussion if they desire, I have huge traction on r/gaming, but r/games is just a string of downvotes right now. Strange.

Sign the petition and retweet on Twitter to help out the campaign.

Signed.

Kiru

What about porting MadWorld too? Or is it too gory, not worth a PC port ?
I really liked that game. It was just a bit monotone and short. Still had an awesome artstyle and superb soundtrack. Just PlatinumGames goodness.

EDIT: Now that I think about it. Heavily Motion Control based...

neoemonk

Initial impressions of in-home streaming: my four year and a half year old MacBook Pro does a much better job than my three and a half year old HP laptop, but I believe the MBP has a better video card.

I can't get Dark Souls to stream but I suspect DSFix is the culprit there. I'm going to remove it and try it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom