• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 - To Next-Gen and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nexen

Fallout 3 is excellent (I know most people will disagree)
Fallout 3 is one of the best games ever made.

It sold extremely well, and the next entry in the series is currently one of the most anticipated games in the entire industry - and it hasn't even been announced..
People in this particular threadand/or forum may not like it, but thems the facts.

denx

I generally don't buy games unless they are discounted these days, but I'm very tempted to buy RE4. My only experience with the game was the old godawful PC port, and even then I had some fun with the game. Being able to play it with proper K+M controls this time around sounds sweet.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Starting to pick up Steam got some media attention from kotaku, incgamers, and various Sega sites.

Up to about 3000 signatures!

Sign and reyweet to get the word out.

Why not post it in the relevant Steam forums too? Since those forums are filled with people who buy games on Steam.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Wow, just saw that Steam now has a self-service refund option for pre-orders that haven't yet released.

It's also present for gift purchases provided you haven't sent the items or traded them away*.

* Well, it will be once Valve adds it to the "Recent Steam Store Gift Transactions" portion of the store transactions page:

refundy8fax.jpg

The refund link is apparently set to appear on any "transaction" pertaining to a game that has yet to be released, though, which explains why it's showing up on CD key activations even though you can't process a refund for something you didn't buy through the store (Rekoil's link just takes me back to the front page and while Broken Age's seems to work, the eligible item is just listed as "Uninitialised - Pre-order").

FloatOn

Welcome back! I spend so much time here on GAF that if I were to be banned again I don't know what I'd do with myself. Maybe I'd play through Black Flag once more to help pass the time...

Thanks Jase but seriously man, you have so many amazing games that are just begging to be played why would someone such as yourself waste time on a replay?

Shit, didn't even know you were banned. Welcome back.

Will definitely be partying tonight...celebrating my recent promotion. woot woot

I appreciate it. Congrats on your promotion.

New get New Vegas and enjoy one of the best expansions ever made*

*(This post might contains trace amounts of opinions).

I've scheduled New Vegas for February. I'm really looking forward to it.

Welcome back! what was the ban for?

Thanks Mr.Orange. It was a response to a thread in off topic from a guy that was upset over people that take pictures of their food. This was the post that did it:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=97458566&postcount=4

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.

It sold extremely well, and the next entry in the series is currently one of the most anticipated games in the entire industry - and it hasn't even been announced..
People in this particular threadand/or forum may not like it, but thems the facts.

But those facts don't equate to the game being any good. You could say all the same things about the movie Avatar, but if it made a top 10 best of all time list, you might just scoff.

I say this as a person who loves Fallout 3 and put over 200 hours into, too.

Knurek

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - JaseC should be banned if he ever changes that funky Saoirse avatar

Still can't get over how amazing the new one looks

Arthea

Hack Slash Loot kinda sucks. I want to like it, the 8bit is oddly enjoyable, but the randomization makes it kinda frustrating.
I played some when it was released and I thought it's a tad too basic, wouldn't say it sucks, and look randomization, randomization is everywhere, I don't see how such games can't be otherway. Can they?

After ~200 hours, I've finally finished Black Flag (save for the DLC)!

200 hours! holy smoke!
and congratulations.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

*brofist*

Don't get me wrong, I also really enjoyed New Vegas. But Fallout 3 was a much different experience, and I liked that experience a lot more. Fallout 4 is on my insta-buy, insta-pre-order list.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - Where in the last 400 posts, we go out with a whimper.

Jawmuncher

I can't enjoy any Bethesda RPG.

Oblivion, Fallout 3, and Skyrim are the one's I have played.
Every single one of them bores me to tears. I'm amazed people can play them to the point of hundreds of hours. It's odd though since on paper it would seem like my kind of game.

*brofist*

Don't get me wrong, I also really enjoyed New Vegas. But Fallout 3 was a much different experience, and I liked that experience a lot more. Fallout 4 is on my insta-buy, insta-pre-order list.

One of my favorite gaming moments of the past 5 years has been coming out of the vault in Fallout 3. It was awe inspiring seeing the wasteland out in front of me like that.

The_Monk

Can anyone sell me on Contrast?

Here are my mediocre, small impressions after finishing and completing to 100%

I just finished Contrast.

LxQcXuIl.jpg

First of all, I would say it took me about 3 hours, perhaps 4 at the very best. The soundtrack is very nice, check some of the tunes in here specially the first one.

The Story is...odd? And it made me a bit sad but that might be to the dark, depressing setting that takes place in 1920. The game plays like a film noir and makes good use of the Shadows in order to solve the puzzles, granted there are not many of them due the short time of the game.

Contrast is split in 3 Acts and each one can be completed in about 40 minutes but this will depend on how fast you are solving the puzzles. I did 100% on the game, unlocking everything there was to unlock. The end of the Story was very... confusing. You get a "What, that was it...?" feeling but I was already getting that since the very beginning. I guess that the objective was not very compelling from the start and the writing felt a bit amateur, in all honest.

Get it if the setting is to your liking and the price drops to a more decent sweet spot. The currently price is too much if you ask me. Best thing from this game to me was, as mentioned, the soundtrack, it reminded me a lot of the intro scene from another game: Saboteur.

PS: Ignore any poor grammar errors, my English is a bit slow today.

nexen

But those facts don't equate to the game being any good. You could say all the same things about the movie Avatar, but if it made a top 10 best of all time list, you might just scoff.

I say this as a person who loves Fallout 3 and put over 200 hours into, too.

'good' is completely subjective. There are no facts that can prove something 'good' or 'bad'. The facts show that it is popular and that many people like it, which is all I intended to show.

edit: I loved Avatar. Good movie.

JaseC

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - JaseC should be banned if he ever changes that funky Saoirse avatar

Still can't get over how amazing the new one looks

Haha. <3

200 hours! holy smoke!
and congratulations.

It's currently behind only CS 1.6 (244 hours) and CS: Sauce (1,074 hours) as my most-played game. The gap between it and 1.6 will lessen a fair bit as I still need to play through Freedom Cry and the Aveline DLC, but I don't see that taking me more than maybe a dozen or so hours.

collect video game endings.

If Valve added that to the Game Collector showcase, sure! ;)

Tenrius

oh btw:

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - _____________________________

Fill in the blank

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - You're right hand comes off (now in HD!)
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - Newell you're small-time
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - It's all good in HD kingdom
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - Definitive does necessarily mean the best
STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - Rayman 2 all over again

Might think up some more later.

Arthea

Every single one of them bores me to tears. I'm amazed people can play them to the point of hundreds of hours. It's odd though since on paper it would seem like my kind of game.

Welcome to the "we find Bethesta games mindnumbingly boring, to the point where we can use them to torture people" club.
and Morrowing is most boring of them all! but that's between us only

FloatOn

yeah, I can agree with this. Skyrim was my first elder scrolls game and so that is why I was so blown away with it at first. In retrospect
read: after beating dark souls
it was actually pretty awful

I saw quite a bit of Skyrim in Fallout 3 and that had me rolling my eyes pretty often. The change in setting and writing seemed better but in the end I just stuck to the main quest and only a few side quests here and there. Beat and deleted it in ~22 hours.

kurahador

One of my favorite gaming moments of the past 5 years has been coming out of the vault in Fallout 3. It was awe inspiring seeing the wasteland out in front of me like that.

Really? All empty like that? I got bored after 2 minutes of stepping out from the Vault.

Still pops the game from time to time though for its walking simulator function.
You gotta fight boredom with boredom sometimes.

yuraya

I have to agree. I am just unable to put in hundreds of hours into an rpg game unless its an mmorpg. It just gets way too boring unless I am able to communicate with others in chats(clans), do some pvp, and be apart of some co-op grinding. Dark Souls was probably the first single player RPG game (in a long time) I've been able to really get into and thats mostly because of how great all the boss fights were. I think Bethesda games are great but they aren't for everyone.

Caerith

How difficult could have been to just do a younger version of this?:
tomb-raider-underworld-reviews_422_12139.jpg
Apparently very.

'good' is completely subjective. There are no facts that can prove something 'good' or 'bad'. The facts show that it is popular and that many people like it, which is all I intended to show.

edit: I loved Avatar. Good movie.

I disagree that good and bad are entirely subjective, but they're sloppy terms to use when comparing one game to another.

nexen

I think Bethesda games are best enjoyed by people who like to use their imagination to meet games halfway. They are the closest things to modern Ultimas to me - the worlds feel more alive and free than any other games I play and that makes them ideal for this purpose, so I can forgive the rough bits.

I disagree that good and bad are entirely subjective, but they're sloppy terms to use when comparing one game to another.
I really don't see how that is even up for debate. Judging the quality of a piece of entertainment without set, measurable metrics is pretty much the definition of subjective.

Arthea

It's currently behind only CS 1.6 (244 hours) and CS: Sauce (1,074 hours) as my most-played game. The gap between it and 1.6 will lessen a fair bit as I still need to play through Freedom Cry and the Aveline DLC, but I don't see that taking me more than maybe a dozen or so hours.

And you laughed when I said that last percents will take longer than a game, you almost finished it in what? 90 hours? And lookie now, 200! I'm scared of this game because of your playtime,
even more than of uplay, I actually gave in and installed it some time ago *sighs*

STEAM Announcements & Updates 2014 II - More like STREAM
But otherwise this is excellent

This is kinda nice one, short and on point.

JaseC

A Mac version of Wizardry 8 is imminent.

And you laughed when I said that last percents will take longer than a game, you almost finished it in what? 90 hours? And lookie now, 200! I'm scared of this game because of your playtime,
even more than of uplay, I actually gave in and installed it some time ago *sighs*

Just remember to back up your saves and you should finish it in far less time. ;)

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
I thought some of you were above doing that finger pointing with that "Definitive" edition TR. Of course we're going to have a better version on PC but there's no point in soiling the conversation here in this thread of all places.

On a positive note, I just made 13 dollars on some Steam cards I've had sitting around. Should have done it during the summer sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom