• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uzzy

Steam won't open on my computer :/

Light the incense and start reciting GabeN's Prayer.

Alternatively, kill the background process and try again.

Oh, REmake is coming to PC. Wow, I did not see that coming.

Always assumed it was stuck in some kind of Nintendo exclusivity deal (though I guess RE4 was part of that deal as well, and that has made it to every other system too), glad I was wrong. I have to imagine that RE Zero is next.

RE Zero would be great. I'm hoping that Capcom do start porting more of the old games to Steam. I'd love it if we got Dino Crisis!

kudoboi

that top review
YUPecPG.png

51% positive 49% negative

Yeah I'm really happy with it coming to PC. That and RE4 at my fingertips anytime I want? Bliss. I'm sure the vitriol in the thread is just because they think it stops devs from developing new games, which I doubt is the case.

Capcom probably could've saved themselves some grief by not marketing it as a Remaster since the hangup some folks have is due to that term. They seem to expect something akin to TLOU PS4, when they really should be expecting something more along the lines of RE4HD for the PC.

Like i said before, I'm just happy capcom is doing it and they're not ignoring the PC with this rerelease. Can't wait to crank the AA on that game and being annoyed that i still have to wait for the door animations to play out hah.

Ban Puncher

my problem is that normally i send modbot a message like this : game - code but in this case i dont have a code because the game is on my inventory

I just use 'GameXXX123 - PM me your Steam Profile and I'll send you a fabulous game!'

And then I give them Bad Rats.

Enco

Why do developers think it's acceptable to not support anything over 1920x1080?

Why do developers have shitty settings options in 99% of PC ports?

Why. Why. Why.

KingDirk

So in Revengeance, after the second boss fight in the first level, I had a weird glitch where whatever thing Raiden was supposed to land on during a cutscene didn't load, with the guy just kinda floating over the Google Maps ground texture as RULES. OF. NATURE just looped in and out. Is this a known glitch? I haven't restarted because I'm at work, but I was digging everything I'd played so far and would hate if the game is just going to want to not work for me every step of the way.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller

that top review
YUPecPG.png

51% positive 49% negative

I just played and beat the game yesterday, here was the impressions I posted a few pages back:

Played and beat it today, here's my impressions of Pineview Drive.

header_292x136.jpg

Pineview Drive is an indie haunted house simulator with relatively simple gameplay. Over the span of 30 days, you try and find clues to what happened to your wife, Linda, who disappeared without a trace at an old abandoned estate 20 years ago, for your own closure. To accomplish this you must look around the house, find keys, open doors, and experience a variety of scares and spooks.

And let me restate this point: This game is a haunted house simulator. It's with these expectations that I think the game is best experienced. It's done in a similar vein to the Ju-On The Curse game or the Haunted House mode in the Fatal Frame 2 Wii Remake. Nothing is coming to attack you, there is no hiding mechanic, no enemies to shoot and kill. Your character is slow, can't jump, and gameplay consists of looking for keys/matches/batteries/notes/locked doors, and experiencing events.

ss_986567ecc65c7afc63d473ce3339ad7040b003ac.600x338.jpg

On this accord, it does some smart things. Your character does have health even though you're attacked, but the health is basically responsive to how you react when 'scared' When a scare happens, if you do something with your controls, IE starts shaking your mouse around or suddenly start running or stop running or stop altogether, basically changing the pace of movement you were doing when the scare happens, you'll lose health. How much health you lose is accordant to how extreme/timely your reaction is. This also is all monitored to take note of what you react strongly too and don't and stores that information away to change some minor events. It works well for the most part, though I noticed the game seemingly thinking I was scared of certain events that didn't scare me.

And in my opinion the game works, mainly due to the fact the atmosphere of the game is good and some of the scares did legitimately scare the crap out of me. Scares are subjective, but most games don't scare me, so when one game manages to scare me several times over the course of the game, I take notice. The atmosphere helps a lot towards this, the rooms look appropriately creepy, the music has good variety and can be good to make you unnerved, along with the type of music you sometimes question if the music is the background music or something happening. It starts off slow starts rolling a few days in.

Some scares and moments are obviously inspired by other things however. They're still effective, but can take away from the moment if you recognize the scare's obvious inspiration. Without spoiling too much, there were two scenes that were very obviously inspired by the film, "Ringu", and the game, "Condemned: Criminal Origins."

ss_1659b3e7c78509f3e6403200e3beffa1e44b357f.600x338.jpg

On the flip-side, there was some very unique scares in places and some were handled well, and there's a good variety. There's even a few scares and entities that are randomized and can happen anywhere later in the game as you're exploring. Special mention from me goes to a certain clown and scarecrow...

But the game is bogged down by a few problems. Firstly, it's very dark. I had to turn brightness all the way up and it was still super dark. This would be fine, but you don't get your flashlight until a bit into the game, and I found myself stumbling through the dark for a while before I eventually found it. A second flaw is that while new elements get added in scares and the like, the gameplay remains mostly the same, making the later parts sometimes feel rather tedious. On this, in some of the later areas when a lot of the estate is opened up to you, sometimes there's very little indication of where you're supposed to go, leading you to randomly scout rooms to see if you spot any keys or if any events trigger. Spend too long searching, and your character will eventually tell you where to go, but it seems disappointing and not well designed especially since the game at some points does an excellent job at leading you to specific parts of the house with cues, sounds, and graphical things.

ss_882c729c9ca0f0eee08ed6e002cb30d98caeb9b2.600x338.jpg

Also the last area of the game and the ending are slightly confusing and come out of left field, and I found the last area ended up being kind of trial and error with getting past it as it's a bit too harsh on your health and scares to get through all of it.

Still, it turned out better than I expected and I enjoyed playing it. I reminded me of a game version of those horror movies about characters stupidly staying at an obviously haunted house that gets worse as time goes on. Some good atmosphere and scares steal the show here, even if not all moments are winners. It's held back by a few problems, but if you want a haunted house simulator to play through, this is a pretty solid effort.

Turfster

KissMyBundles Horror Bundle
Price: 4.99$
  • Soulbringer
  • Nosferatu
  • Grimind
  • Lucius
  • Litil Devil
  • Realms of the Haunting
  • Age of Fear (Desura)
  • Age of Fear 2 (Desura)

Dr Dogg

Why. Why. Why.

I moan about it all the time, my latest rambling was about Tranistor.

Thankfully most of the time there's a work around somewhere but it's the instances like Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition before Durante rectified that and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance that is a royal pain in the arse to sort so no one has yet, that are frustrating. Considering these developers have the game code right there and most of the functions needed to query resolutions supported by your system are decades old in the DirectX API it's frustrating why it get's overlooked sometimes. Even more so when 16:10 resolutions above 1680x1050 apparently don't exist for some devs.

Jawmuncher

So in Revengeance, after the second boss fight in the first level, I had a weird glitch where whatever thing Raiden was supposed to land on during a cutscene didn't load, with the guy just kinda floating over the Google Maps ground texture as RULES. OF. NATURE just looped in and out. Is this a known glitch? I haven't restarted because I'm at work, but I was digging everything I'd played so far and would hate if the game is just going to want to not work for me every step of the way.

That definitely isn't common. There's been no complaints like that for the port I ever heard of. You should be fine when you get back home and reload it.

ok here it is , is not much but i enjoyed this game when i played it
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (salazar547, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- You must have given away a game through ModBot to become eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Binary Domain -- MB-BEE8BC1473D82173 - Taken by freshVeggie. 14 entrants total.

t1407261701z1.png

Turfster

And another one full of older games.

KissMyBundles FunBox Bundle
Price: 5$
  • SRS Street Racing Syndicate
  • Glacier 3 The Meltdown
  • Fire For Effect
  • Desert Thunder
  • Actua Soccer 3
  • Gun Metal
  • Eurofighter Typhoon
  • Incoming & Incoming Forces

Why. Why. Why.

Because low-powered consoles and TVs have ruined everything forever.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Lucius looks like a dark-themed Hitman. Never heard of it here. Anyone played it?

I finished it a few days ago. It's extremely low budget and the gameplay is linear but it's always fun to see how the next murder will play out. I had to use a guide for some levels because you're free to roam a huge mansion and you often have little to no clue of what you're supposed to do.The fact that the gameplay and the interactivity with the environment are so limited doesn't help either

derExperte

I forgot, is there a trick to end the market lockout (I moved my Steam install from one drive to another)? There was something about removing and adding a verified credit card.

It's pretty hilarious, but it's not all that involved.
Still, for this price...
I finished it a few days ago. It's extremely low budget and the gameplay is linear but it's always fun to see how the next murder will play out. I had to use a guide for some levels because you're free to roam a huge mansion and you often have little to no clue of what you're supposed to do.The fact that the gameplay and the interactivity with the environment are so limited doesn't help either
Thanks for impressions. A sinister murder simulator sounds nice, but 5 bucks and nothing else interests me. Hm.

About Broforce Expendabros. I clicked "play" but canceled when asked to download. Will I be able to play the game in 2015?

Grief.exe

I moan about it all the time, my latest rambling was about Tranistor.

Thankfully most of the time there's a work around somewhere but it's the instances like Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition before Durante rectified that and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance that is a royal pain in the arse to sort so no one has yet, that are frustrating. Considering these developers have the game code right there and most of the functions needed to query resolutions supported by your system are decades old in the DirectX API it's frustrating why it get's overlooked sometimes. Even more so when 16:10 resolutions above 1680x1050 apparently don't exist for some devs.

I believe Transistor is literally hand painted textures and backgrounds designed for 1080p. Higher resolutions just stretch the image rather than actually natively rendering.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom