• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nabs

Mind: Path to Thalamus is out now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/296070/

$11.04 (-15%)

header.jpg

Tizoc

Killer is Dead... what??

No idea what's going on. You can go on dates? You can put on glasses to see her in her underwear? You give gifts to get her to like you? You get an annoying sidekick?

Yea.. this is a Japanese game alright.

The dates are optional however you need to do only 2-3 to get the extra weapons, and afterwards are mainly for cheevos.

What stage are you in? Stage 5.1 is best tackled after stage 5 or after beating the game.

Athleon

I really wish that Steam hardware push had been for a SteamBoy instead of SteamBoxes. The boxes don't really do much for me, I can build a PC and use big picture mode just fine. But a handheld device where games on steam could have a set hardware point to aim for (as long as they fit the bill, just give them a SteamBoy certified tag) and I could play some of my library on the go would have been incredible. Although I guess that is pretty much what a Vita is turning into, I'll have to pick one up a some point.

I would do nasty things for a SteamVita.

so i was just about to buy broforce when i see the that the Expendabros is basically a free version of the same game , ive played that for about 40 mins but im already feeling like the game is a little too repetitive , does that happen in broforce too?? , should i buy the game anyway??

Enco

The dates are optional however you need to do only 2-3 to get the extra weapons, and afterwards are mainly for cheevos.

What stage are you in? Stage 5.1 is best tackled after stage 5 or after beating the game.
I'm pretty early. I just finished mission 4 I think.

Alice spider bug thing

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Not entirely shocking considering Unity and FC4 are rather close together, but nonetheless still disappointing.

Edit: Beaten.

I guess it will follow the Liberation route and come to PC and current gen in about a year

Big new update for Insurgency came out today, added a single life terrorist hunt mode and under barrel grenade launchers, looks cool, they seem to be really adding good stuff to the game quickly.

Grief.exe

Go have a play around and see for yourself. I got 3200x1800 working and that's above the point of what the sprites are drawn at but at 2560x1440 there was a marketed increase in definition on the whole image that you wouldn't get by stretching it. Also bear in mind my monitor displays 2560x1440 native so if that was stretching the image the results at 1920x1080 would look close to the same as inputting a higher resolution value. The difference is bloody night and day and no way looks like an image that has been distorted by stretching it.

Rayman Origins for example has backdrops drawn exactly at 1920x1080 and no matter what resolution you input you gain no more detail. Battleblock Theatre is exactly the same and at a crazy 4800x2700 looked no better than a 1920x1080 image. Transistor is not like those examples at all, exactly the same as Bastion they offer better clarity at higher resolutions than what they offer.

I barely played around with downsampling. That is very interesting that the game seems to gain detail at higher resolutions, which would be increasingly obvious on your native 1440p screen.

If they created the assets at a high resolution, why limit the output of your release? Parity agreement with Sony?

I'm all giddy about the REmake HD port. Can't wait to find what's the high praise all about. Never played RE1 or REmake before.

Same. You saw me say this in the other thread, but I literally received the GC version,of REmake in the mail hours before the Capcom's announcement.

Dr Dogg

Killer is Dead... what??

No idea what's going on. You can go on dates? You can put on glasses to see her in her underwear? You give gifts to get her to like you? You get an annoying sidekick?

Yea.. this is a Japanese game alright.

Ohhhh was Killer is Dead your unsupported resolution, poor options head ache? There's quite a few tweaks that myself, Jediyoshi, Salsa, BONKERS and a few others put in the OT. It plays ball with the latest build of GeDoSaTo now so the resolution is the limit of your hardware. I managed to get 80ish fps at 3840x2160 on a 780 before finding SLI bits that worked and above 60 with 4xOGSSAA at 2560x1440. But you need to go fiddle around with the config files in the install directory (I think the KidGame ones).

The funny thing is the resolution issue is because the ones the game offers are hand coded into the game instead of asking your system. It's a UE3 game so it's more than capable of displaying higher resolutions. There are some abnormalities like certain screen transitions have 1920x1080 masking objects that obviously don't cover the screen at a higher resolution but hey I can deal with that over having a more defined image.

I barely played around with downsampling. That is very interesting that the game seems to gain detail at higher resolutions, which would be increasingly obvious on your native 1440p screen.

If they created the assets at a high resolution, why limit the output of your release? Parity agreement with Sony?

Hahaha nah I doubt it, plus they'll harp on about the speaker exclusivity. There is a difference that's subtly noticeable on the background art and more apparent on the edges of segments and definitely character sprites. Unlike some 2D games Bastion and Transistor are not made up of one big sheet but still tiled so you can walk behind a layered building and the on screen sprite you be occluded by it. It's probably the case that these assets are at a slightly higher resolution that what they are drawn on the screen at 1920x1080 hence the increase in definition. I haven't got them to hand but Rayman Orgins' stages are all one flat plane with a few objects that interact with the character but are generally rendered at exactly the same canvas size as a 1920x1080 display so increasing the resolution doesn't gain anything. The 3D stuff like in boss battles you can see the improvements which is exactly what I got from Battleblock Theatre. Backdrops gain nothing extra but the aliasing on charters gets less and less.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I guess it will follow the Liberation route and come to PC and current gen in about a year

Yeah, I suspect it'll be more widely available no later the middle of next year (end of July/early August). Even assuming work won't begin until Rogue goes gold, 8~9 months is plenty of time for a port.

Get rid of all the saoirse ronan pics, it might run faster ;p

Haha, it could do with a format, but rest assured they're not going anywhere. ;)

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
Mind: Path to Thalamus is out now: http://store.steampowered.com/app/296070/

$11.04 (-15%)

header.jpg
Launch trailer is up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsvME_tN-Cw

Don't wanna watch it. I wanna go in fresh, with an OR.
It was posted in the Halo: MC thread, and it's most likely just a mistake since they also listed it for the 360.

I'm still more interested in Rouge than in Unity, even after the somewhat boring trailer. The lack of PC port is definitely annoying and I don't want to play it on the PS3 either. I hope we'll get a PC port 6 months later.

I'm pretty early. I just finished mission 4 I think.

Alice spider bug thing

Mission 3.
The next mission is the mission I created that webm from.

And for your first playthrough, the only thing you really need dates for is to get the drill arm.
So basically go on the first date that's available and complete it successfully. Now you can ignore dating forever if you want to.

wilflare

I really wish that Steam hardware push had been for a SteamBoy instead of SteamBoxes. The boxes don't really do much for me, I can build a PC and use big picture mode just fine. But a handheld device where games on steam could have a set hardware point to aim for (as long as they fit the bill, just give them a SteamBoy certified tag) and I could play some of my library on the go would have been incredible. Although I guess that is pretty much what a Vita is turning into, I'll have to pick one up a some point.

one of the best gaming devices I own (and possibly ever owned) love that little device to bits!

rtcn63

Does RE4HD still suffer from the QTE prompts not recognizing half the time thing? Might pick it up whenever it goes for cheap.

Tizoc

Mission 3.
The next mission is the mission I created that webm from.

And for your first playthrough, the only thing you really need dates for is to get the drill arm.
So basically go on the first date that's available and complete it successfully. Now you can ignore dating forever if you want to.

No not really, one of the extra weapons is a charged cannon shot, which is VERY useful when fully upgraded and for clearing waves in higher difficulties.

Deadbeat

Banned
I bought the stupid square bundle. I figure I need Daikatana for a buck. Ill probably play up until black man named superfly runs to his death and then quit the game like the last time I played it just to soak in the mediocrity I remember so well.

iosefe

if anyone is interested, i will be booting up Bad rats for the first time and will stream it.

you'll get my wonderful live commentary

No not really, one of the extra weapons is a charged cannon shot, which is VERY useful when fully upgraded and for clearing waves in higher difficulties.

Sure, on higher difficulties. But for your first playthrough of the game, which is likely on easy or normal, you should only need the drill arm and that's so you can get some of the hidden things.

So, yes, yes really.
Because I did it myself and never had a problem (and I played on hard). After I beat the game and started going for higher ranks and clearing other difficulties, then I earned the rest of the upgrades and upgraded them for the corresponding achievement.

Liberation took over a year to hit the PC.

Remember though, Liberation was coming from Vita, not from x360, so there's probably a longer port time there and more work to do trying to update the resources for "HD".
Hell, look how long these ports take to get on Vita from PC... Rogue Legacy only FINALLY just released on Vita in the last 2 weeks, I think and that port has been in the works for a year or more.

jblank83

I usually hate stealth games but MotN is just done so damn well. It really nails the whole "ninja" feel.

It always saddens me to see it go unclaimed in giveaways.

Same. Stealth usually equates to "wait behind a box for 60 seconds until the guard turns his back. Then do the same thing 100 more times." Mark of the Ninja is much better designed than that. Stealth is not a passive time waster. It's an active, engaging activity. You're constantly moving, jumping behind scenery, using light cones, using noise and traps to move guards around.

Guard placement is puzzlish, requiring manipulation of multiple enemies and objects to setup either a clean getaway corridor or an optimal kill arrangement. The numerous tricks and traps to do so are fun as well, from smoke to hallucinatory poison. Excellent level design keeps everything moving along nicely.

Beautiful looking game, too. Really nicely drawn and animated.

Yep.
One shots most enemies and knocks heavies into critical state so they can be finished off easily.

The dating really isn't a big deal. It's dumb but it's a minute or two between missions at the most.

Tizoc

Yep.
One shots most enemies and knocks heavies into critical state so they can be finished off easily.

The dating really isn't a big deal. It's dumb but it's a minute or two between missions at the most.

It's worth it for Mondo's Thumbs up and just how hilarious the following scenes are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom