• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

rtcn63

Evolve is likely one of those "pretty fun with a group" and "terribly dull alone" types a la L4D etc. Shame, because I'm a singleplayer fella.

Also that camera needs to calm the fuck down.

loving Rogue Legacy on the Vita
the game gets better and better
:D the controls are PERFECT

I really wish that Steam hardware push had been for a SteamBoy instead of SteamBoxes. The boxes don't really do much for me, I can build a PC and use big picture mode just fine. But a handheld device where games on steam could have a set hardware point to aim for (as long as they fit the bill, just give them a SteamBoy certified tag) and I could play some of my library on the go would have been incredible. Although I guess that is pretty much what a Vita is turning into, I'll have to pick one up a some point.

Mono

Might reformat my hardrive today! Hopefully backing everything up will mean that I don't have to reinstall all of my Steam games!

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
Might reformat my hardrive today! Hopefully backing everything up will mean that I don't have to reinstall all of my Steam games!

you should be fine if you move your steamapps library to another drive

remember to use GameSave Manager or something like that for your saves though

SSPssp

Extra from the IndieGala Bundle.

ModBot said:
Instructions for SSPssp:
Press the quote button to the left of this PM, select the quoted text, copy, and paste in the thread. You can remove these lines from the version you paste.

Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (SSPssp, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Giana Sisters Twisted Dreams -- MB-F76879E8F16C16F5 - Taken by salazar547

I haven't been captivated by what I've seen so far but I hope it's great because the concept is sound and it seems like it'd be a whole lot of fun with friends. Have to wait and see, though.

I played it down and PAX, and i actually pre-ordered it right after playing. It totally is a multi-player game, and well i'm not quite sure its going to be as good as L4D, it played super well for an early build, and the concept is brilliant. It plays a lot better then it looks, basically.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
I forgot, is there a trick to end the market lockout (I moved my Steam install from one drive to another)? There was something about removing and adding a verified credit card.

You can't remove the new device cooldown by adding and verifying a new payment method; the two are distinct. Are you sure you're barred from the market, though? I moved my Steam installation to another drive when my Steam drive died and didn't have any issues.

Dr Dogg

I believe Transistor is literally hand painted textures and backgrounds designed for 1080p. Higher resolutions just stretch the image rather than actually natively rendering.

Go have a play around and see for yourself. I got 3200x1800 working and that's above the point of what the sprites are drawn at but at 2560x1440 there was a marketed increase in definition on the whole image that you wouldn't get by stretching it. Also bear in mind my monitor displays 2560x1440 native so if that was stretching the image the results at 1920x1080 would look close to the same as inputting a higher resolution value. The difference is bloody night and day and no way looks like an image that has been distorted by stretching it.

Rayman Origins for example has backdrops drawn exactly at 1920x1080 and no matter what resolution you input you gain no more detail. Battleblock Theatre is exactly the same and at a crazy 4800x2700 looked no better than a 1920x1080 image. Transistor is not like those examples at all, exactly the same as Bastion they offer better clarity at higher resolutions than what they offer.

Aussie made Crawl is coming out on Early Access tomorrow. Price will be 9.99$/€

I will try to stream the game after I get back from work and once that's done expect a giveaway here. Hopefully they will offer a 4-pack option so that I will be able to give away multiple copies. Really excited for this game

It was high on my list, even if it was multi only, because of the unbelievably cool pixelart animation... until rhaknar informed me that it's "local mp" only. If that's the case, the game went from "will buy sometime, maybe" to "nope, not worth my $".

Awesome.

I just had the worst flashback of...

Yup.
I *still* hate clowns... pretty sure it's mostly because of this.

Thanks!

I don't think so, the game doesn't stay in your library so when we hit 2015 you won't be able to re-download it.

I have a subscription for it in my account page like most of the other F2P games... it's listed as Complimentary, but I'm given the option to remove it if I want. Seems like any other F2P that counts as a +1 lately.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
Assassin's Creed Rogue sounds glorious. I'm very hyped for Unity but my poor gtx 760 will run it like shit so I guess I'll be spending more time with Ice Pirates till I can afford a GPU upgrade

Gurthang

Banned
meh

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Gurthang, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Beatbuddy -- MB-20815FFA5ECDF945

Kifimbo

Garbage dump because I'm not sure these two keys will work. Sorry if they don't.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a garbage dump. No other rules apply, you may claim as many as you want (there are no limits or throttles), and keys you win won't be counted as wins for your record. Do not SELL these keys for a profit.

Ring Runner: Flight of the Sages -- MB-4CC60C99CBB34ED9 - Taken by Gurthang
Satazius -- MB-654B71BB66DC514E - Taken by billmcdougal

JaseC

Assassin's Creed Rogue sounds glorious. I'm very hyped for Unity but my poor gtx 760 will run it like shit so I guess I'll be spending more time with Ice Pirates till I can afford a GPU upgrade

Unless I've missed something, platforms for Rogue haven't been confirmed yet. The Facebook page that "leaked" screenshots of the trailer is run by fans, so I wouldn't place much stock in it mentioning the PC.

Shit, I've got a 660. You think it's gonna run that bad? I'm counting on it lasting me at least another year.

F-Pina

Some impressions for Detective Case and Clown Bot in Murder in the Hotel Lisbon:

The music: Is great. It's got some cool tunes, some dramatic, but most whimsical to indicate comedy relief. And you know what kind of impressions you're in for when I start by telling you how good the music is. But I wanted to start on a positive note. :(

The graphics: Loads of style. Characters range from short and dumpy to a tall-and-thin reminiscent of an exaggerated Jessica Rabbit. If any game is going to exaggerate facial and bodily features, it should be a point-and-click, but part of me says it went a bit too far. Objects of note are very easy to spot, as they get illuminated by a thick white border when you mouseover them.

The dialogue: I give the dialogue three "ugh"s. I seriously can't tell whether the jokes were intended to be funny, or intended to be unfunny. A lot of Clown Bot's jokes are the kind you heard in junior high or earlier, and some seem out of place in 2014. Yes, I was probably in grade 6 or 7 when I heard "What do you call a gay guy on a plane? A fruit fly!" But again, is this appropriate? Furthermore, was this supposed to be funny, or was it supposed to be terrible? My opinion is that they tried to sit on the fence. Found it funny? Great, it was supposed to be! Found it unfunny? Great, it was supposed to be!
Oh, and don't forget the spelling errors. "Why was six afrain of seven?" I get that the developers didn't have English as their first language, but that means it's extra important to make sure you're doing it right, gentlemen.

The gameplay: Don't expect to use objects in the conventional way. Items aren't used: they're collected for evidence. When you have the right objects, you can enter an interview minigame with a character. It was an interesting concept. It could have been executed better with choices that don't make it obvious which one is correct. But points for trying something new.

Walking is quite slow indeed. But wait! There are taxis that allow you instant transportation, so it's not so bad! But wait again! If you never use that convenient item, you get an achievement! Developers, why do you do this? If you don't want us to use it, don't put it in. There's also an achievement for fucking up every interview minigame. Why are you rewarding failure?

Edit: Forgot to mention there are a few sidequests. I tried to finish one halfway through the game but they railroaded me into finishing the main quest and forbade me from finishing the sidequest. I hate that! However, they do allow you to finish sidequests after the main quest is done for some post-game content. So that was good.

Finally, there's a separate minigame where you choose the correct punchlines to jokes within a time limit, and collect roses for correct punchlines or dodge tomatoes for incorrect ones. For more achievments you can get a high score (not too tough to achieve) or get 32 correct punchlines in a row (pretty bad.) It gets pretty tedious, but thankfully it's not required at any point during the game.

The verdict: I really wanted to like this game. It does a few things right, and of course there's a shoutout to GAF in it. But when it comes to the so-called "humour" and the general gameplay, it gets so many things wrong. If you're not a fan of point-and-clicks, don't get it. If you're a fan of point-and-clicks, consider carefully whether you really want to try this one...but I still wouldn't recommend it. I'm sorry.

Interesting points.
It's worth noting that opinions on our game are either "love it" or "hate it". I had people hating the music and loving the jokes, the opposite of what you felt. Some people felt we should punish more on the interviews, others loved the easy going nature of them. It was hard to fine tune when testing the interview system. Almost all reviews on Steam are positive.

Some answers:
- This is a satire of my country in the 80's (Portugal). Some things are lost in translation.
- The robot is incapable of understanding if a joke is good or bad, he just tells them.
- Achievements are suppose to be just that, you achieved something and we reward it. In the case of a stupid game, they tend to be stupid as well.

JaseC

Thanks! Crazy cheap compared to EU price.

Depots / languages in the same package is good, right? Master Frost, can you confirm?

My brother would then have his birthday present I guess ;D

It's a universal sub, yes.

Edit: 8 keys may not suffice given keys are currently selling for USD$2.41. 8.5 or even 9 is more likely unless people still have stock left over from the Summer Sale. $16 via PayPal certainly wouldn't cover the cost of a new copy given 599 Russiabucks is about $16.60.

Enco

It's all about parity with the console experience.
It's just laziness. No real excuse.

I moan about it all the time, my latest rambling was about Tranistor.

Thankfully most of the time there's a work around somewhere but it's the instances like Dark Souls and Deadly Premonition before Durante rectified that and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance that is a royal pain in the arse to sort so no one has yet, that are frustrating. Considering these developers have the game code right there and most of the functions needed to query resolutions supported by your system are decades old in the DirectX API it's frustrating why it get's overlooked sometimes. Even more so when 16:10 resolutions above 1680x1050 apparently don't exist for some devs.
It's sad when it's up to customers to fix a developers shitty port.

Sub Zero

his body's cold as ice, but he's got a heart of gold
It was high on my list, even if it was multi only, because of the unbelievably cool pixelart animation... until rhaknar informed me that it's "local mp" only. If that's the case, the game went from "will buy sometime, maybe" to "nope, not worth my $".

You can play against bots and the developers are claiming that they put a lot of effort into the AI to make it challenging. I felt robbed after buying Nidhogg and Samurai Gunn but this game looks to be fun even if you play SP.

Why would you think that..?
Ubisoft is notorious for terribly unoptimized PC ports. I thought that Watch_Dogs would be different due to the new console architecture being closer to PCs but nope, they hit an all time low with that port. Unity will most likely be a mess as well.

Unless I've missed something, platforms for Rogue haven't been confirmed yet. The Facebook page that "leaked" screenshots of the trailer is run by fans, so I wouldn't place much stock in it mentioning the PC.

It will come to PC. The question is if it will release along with the last gen versions or come out together with the inevitable current gen ports.

aku:jiki

I'm enjoying Lili quite a bit, not sure where the negative hype earlier in the thread came from. It's a simplistic late 90's era fetch quest adventure game with very cute graphics, what's not to like? It's a little rough around the edges and sloppy, like I don't know how high their level designer was when he planted so many flowers and pots inside walls and shit but I do know I want to know his dealer because that's some good shit, but it's highly playable and charming.

Looks to be about 3-4 hours long if you're somewhat thorough, though I do find it annoying that it has hysterical achievements that there's no way you're going to reach without 10 hours of grinding (like "break 1000 pots" when the natural gameplay only has you breaking about 200 of them at the very most). Would've liked to add this to my 'perfect game' pile, but that shit ain't happening.

Whoever on the Expendables team is in charge of games this time around sure knows what they're doing compared to the dude who got the EX2 game made. Last guy hired some junk studio to rush out a junk game with a stupidly high price, new guy picked the absolutely most perfect game and made sure to make it free to pump up the hype levels.

kudoboi

It will come to PC. The question is if it will release along with the last gen versions or come out together with the inevitable current gen ports.

the game is already up on amazon... however only the xb360 and ps3 versions are. so its possible that the PC release would not be together with previous gen versions

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Bastion -- MB-8208C1CDD11C8152 - Taken by DarkMehm. 1 entrants total.

t1407265061z1.png

Mono

Aww, I bought some keys for dispenser.tf because I have no willpower and can't wait for The Banner Saga to go on sale, but the website doesn't work for me. :(

Enco

Killer is Dead... what??

No idea what's going on. You can go on dates? You can put on glasses to see her in her underwear? You give gifts to get her to like you? You get an annoying sidekick?

Yea.. this is a Japanese game alright.

Ventara

Aww, I bought some keys for dispenser.tf because I have no willpower and can't wait for The Banner Saga to go on sale, but the website doesn't work for me. :(

Are you signed in with your Steam account? What's wrong?

Killer is Dead... what??

No idea what's going on. You can go on dates? You can put on glasses to see her in her underwear? You give gifts to get her to like you? You get an annoying sidekick?

Yea.. this is a Japanese game alright.

Yeah, the game can be pretty weird. Just go with the flow and enjoy the craziness. But you can ignore most of it if you don't like it, though.

Mono

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Thief Gold -- MB-C19A00A01689B6C8
Mini Ninjas -- MB-23701574A0498820 - Taken by DontBlink. 2 entrants total.
Hitman 2: Silent Assassin -- MB-839F68A9C6614BF8
Hitman: Codename 47 -- MB-BF5F3D4E0B89329C

t1407265481z1.png

I posted in here last week about someone trying to get into my uPlay account. Turns out they already did but didn't know the password for my email so they just played Watch Dogs on my account
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
! never loaded up the game before but I already have rewards and a game save from the cloud. Weird as fuck! Going to change my email and password now!

derExperte

You can't remove the new device cooldown by adding and verifying a new payment method; the two are distinct. Are you sure you're barred from the market, though? I moved my Steam installation to another drive when my Steam drive died and didn't have any issues.

100% sure. Did the other drive have another drive letter, because I moved from E: to D:? I followed the instructions here including deleting some stuff: https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=7418-YUBN-8129&l=german

I posted in here last week about someone trying to get into my uPlay account. Turns out they already did but didn't know the password for my email so they just played Watch Dogs on my account
KuGsj.gif
KuGsj.gif
! never loaded up the game before but I already have rewards and a game save from the cloud. Weird as fuck! Going to change my email and password now!

Make sure you didn't use the same password anywhere else and if you did, change those too.

cyrok

It sort of sucks that this Ass Creed Rogue game isn't for next gen as well since they were announced/leaked originally together

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom