• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | August 2014 - Everybody loves iDLEM@STER

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Dogg

I suddenly had this thought... what if it's Muramasa!
that would be great

I think we're all going to have to focus on a title that would have ONLY been released in Japan, otherwise why wouldn't Ghostlight say released worldwide and not specifically just call out Japan. Also something from a smaller developer and not an IP owned by a publisher with already a presence on Steam. It's not like physical where you need someone with presence in a country to shift units, it's a digital marketplace with no borders other than some silly ones setup by publishers themselves.

I wish Valve would start throwing their weight around a bit.
Contract with a publisher to jointly fund a console port, help fund an indie game, just further diversify the platform.

I wish that too (this goes for their living room initiative as well, to get more and more linux ports etc), but it's never going to happen.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Rhetorical question here.......who in their right mind (besides a majority of the execs at Konami, who we already know aren't right in the head....see SH HD Collection) would hope/want a game like Silent Hills to become exclusive to a specific console? Me personally I'd be thrilled if the game also managed to see a release on the Wii U and/or last gen systems especially if it (shockingly) manages to live up to the hype.
There was a thread defending MS for adding value to their console by buying exclusives made just yesterday.

Deques

First foil since I started using Idle Master. Thank you, jshackles

nnvJB24.png

AkuMifune

Banned
I'm continuing my "journey" on AC4, just because I played all the other games and this has been lend to me, so no loss about it...but the game, is really horrible.

-There's no plot. One moment you are here, the moment after you are there doing stuff. There is very bad writing too, AC3 was boring but at least there was some kind of plot. In AC4, no.
-Gameplay side, is the worst of the saga. Main mission are ugly as hell, and can be divided in: follow those guys, follow and kill thos guys, follow a ship, follow and destroy the ship, stealth section on ship, stealth section on ship and occasionally you must clean the area from enemies, clean an area from enemies.

Navigation section is really ugly too: if you already visited a location, you can fast travel here. If not, you must see your ship for fifteen minutes on the screen without doing nothing waiting to arrive in the new location.

I loved the AC series, right up until 4. I've tried to play it 3 or 4 times now and just can't get more than a couple hours in. The pirating stuff is just not interesting to me at all. I actually think my disinterest towards that game is the lack of Desmond. I know he was one of the least liked aspects of the previous games to most people, but I enjoyed the meta-story and where Ubi was heading with it. Right up until they said fuck it and threw it all away. It's just obvious they could care less about the overall narrative and just want to churn out new entries in the series every year.

I plan to try again though after I finish the Dark Souls 2 DLC. I hate bailing on games, especially ones I was dumb enough to pay full price for. ;)

AkuMifune

Banned
This reminds me I still miss DS2 DLCs: are they good?

There's only 1 out now, with the second coming in a couple weeks I think. General consensus is that it's great, worth it. I especially like the area and new equipment. Challenging maze-like and lots of puzzles, new enemy types.

Bosses are too hard for me though. I was able to take down 1 of 3 but don't think the other 2 are going to be possible, but planning on banging my head against them this weekend until either A) they go down, or B) I end up playing ACIV and being thankful the combat is on auto-pilot.

Castlevania: Lord of Shadows sale on nuuvem, for those interested:
http://www.nuuvem.com.br/promo/cast...ium=post&utm_campaign=promo-castlevania-08-14

How much is that in $USD? I can't figure out Nuuvem's currency exchange, what are they using Brazilian money?

EDIT: Looks like $5.66. Maybe.....

I think we're all going to have to focus on a title that would have ONLY been released in Japan, otherwise why wouldn't Ghostlight say released worldwide and not specifically just call out Japan. Also something from a smaller developer and not an IP owned by a publisher with already a presence on Steam. It's not like physical where you need someone with presence in a country to shift units, it's a digital marketplace with no borders other than some silly ones setup by publishers themselves.

Here's hoping for some Simple 2000 games like 大美人 and Zombie vs Ambulance.

50j.gif
TheZombieVSTheAmbulance_PS2Box-FRONTboxart_160w.jpg

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of an anonymous benefactor, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys and 2 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Rocketbirds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-ECABCD509C57315E - Taken by Coppanuva. 3 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Pahelika: Revelations (Desura) -- MB-750B7841F1311583 - Taken by Jason Frost
Luna - Shattered Hearts - Ep. 1 -- MB-AD59D4AE4B7FB3D5 - Taken by GaussTek. 1 entrants total.
ulgzbKC.png
Wooden Floor (Desura) -- MB-CFC067D29C4A768A - Taken by Teppic. 1 entrants total.

t1408125194z1.png

Athleon

I wish that too (this goes for their living room initiative as well, to get more and more linux ports etc), but it's never going to happen.

Yeah I don't think Valve is interested in that angle. They want to turn the Steam service into a self sustaining system that attracts developers/publishers by itself.

The next logical step is Steam OS, although there is a possible chicken-egg situation here. Can they push Steam OS without major linux support - Can there be major linux support without a well established Steam OS.

tav7623

Hadn't really been thinking about this until just now when I logged onto Steam, but 10 years ago yesterday was the day I created my Steam account (I created it cause I was stoked about/anticipating Half Life 2...that year was also one of the few years where I was primarily a PC gamer due to the huge number of FPS that came out that year like Far Cry, Doom 3, MoH Allied Assault, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher's Bay, and Unreal Tournament 2004)....funny thing is looking back at my account I didn't buy a single game through/on Steam until Nov 2011 (Alien vs. Predator Classic 2000, had always wanted to play it but couldn't really find a physical copy in my area) which has me thinking that this would make for an interesting discussion. So SteamGAF what made y'all want to join/sign up for Steam and what was the first game you purchased bought on/through Steam?

Eh I get why some use skins, I'd personally use them if they aided functionality (PixelVision is good for High DPI scaling with fonts for example) but to be honest next to none of them do anything that would add anything for me. So it's browser and Enhanced Steam all the way for me and that's a better end user experience than the client offers, even with Enhanced Steam Standalone bolted on.

Hmm.. I guess I should start using PixelVision for the fonts feature. I game on my TV and I would prefer if the text was a little bigger.

tav7623

There was a thread defending MS for adding value to their console by buying exclusives made just yesterday.

Ah, I missed that thread, but then again I should have figured that all this talk about console exclusivity was due to the whole Rise of the Tomb Raider X1 exclusivity thing announced at Gamescon

Teeth

This reminds me I still miss DS2 DLCs: are they good?

The first one is pretty dang good. Tougher than the main game and way more puzzle oriented, which is either good or bad depending on how you like your Dark Souls.

The three bosses are good to excellent. Unfortunately, they all come in a row at the end of the area, which is a weird choice. I'd say 2 of the 3 are excellently designed and the optional one is so unflinchingly hard that i would love to see someone beat it "honestly". I cheesed the fight over a grueling 15-20 minutes, but I couldn't see any other way. And the reward for beating it is pretty meh (aside from saying you did it).

I really liked it. Out of all three LoS games probably my favorite.
Thanks for the recommendation :)

There's only 1 out now, with the second coming in a couple weeks I think. General consensus is that it's great, worth it. I especially like the area and new equipment. Challenging maze-like and lots of puzzles, new enemy types.

Bosses are too hard for me though. I was able to take down 1 of 3 but don't think the other 2 are going to be possible, but planning on banging my head against them this weekend until either A) they go down, or B) I end up playing ACIV and being thankful the combat is on auto-pilot.

How much is that in $USD? I can't figure out Nuuvem's currency exchange, what are they using Brazilian money?
4,4 dollars, i believe.

50j.gif

I would be so happy if this turned out to be the case, but i highly doubt it.

Also, Daily is Counter-Strike: GO for 50% off ($7.49)

Might get it just so i can join in on GAF Game Nights since its a popular choice.

baterism

Hadn't really been thinking about this until just now when I logged onto Steam, but 10 years ago yesterday was the day I created my Steam account (I created it cause I was stoked about/anticipating Half Life 2...that year was also one of the few years where I was primarily a PC gamer due to the huge number of FPS that came out that year like Far Cry, Doom 3, MoH Allied Assault, Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher's Bay, and Unreal Tournament 2004)....funny thing is looking back at my account I didn't buy a single game through/on Steam until Nov 2011 (Alien vs. Predator Classic 2000, had always wanted to play it but couldn't really find a physical copy in my area) which has me thinking that this would make for an interesting discussion. So SteamGAF what made y'all want to join/sign up for Steam and what was the first game you purchased bought on/through Steam?

I joined on 2012, my first game was L4D2 for $4.99. I was pretty shocked when I saw that you can get legal games for so cheap right from my place.

Teeth

Saying you did it is the best reward in Demon's/Dark Souls ;)

To me, the reward is the fight itself. I wish there was a boss fight/select somewhere in the game. Like a temple you could go to and fight any of the bosses you've previously beat. Make it so you don't even gain anything from beating them again, i don't even care, i just want to be able to fight bosses (solo) without having to go through the entire game again (which i enjoy doing too, i just wish i could fight O&S at my leisure). A temple of fallen champions or something.

I feel like the challenge in DS is a means to an end: creating interesting fights. The elation i feel after winning a tough fight is followed by the disappointment that I won't get do that fight again for a long time. On the poorer fights, there is no elation, only relief that i'll never have to do it again.

The good fights are the reward themselves (but i do like getting fun dress up clothes).

Is the difficulty artificially increased? Because I defeated all bosses on DS, including the good dragon, but if there are so many problems with DLC's bosses, there's something wrong.

The main two are very well designed/balanced in my opinion. I found them very beatable in a pure melee build with the appropriate amount of challenge (and I'm no expert).

The optional boss on the other hand feels savagely difficult. Might be easier in co-op, but solo required a crazy cheap strategy and a bit of a war of attrition. Might be different with magic, i don't know.

Porcupine

To me, the reward is the fight itself. I wish there was a boss fight/select somewhere in the game. Like a temple you could go to and fight any of the bosses you've previously beat. Make it so you don't even gain anything from beating them again, i don't even care, i just want to be able to fight bosses (solo) without having to go through the entire game again (which i enjoy doing too, i just wish i could fight O&S at my leisure). A temple of fallen champions or something.

I feel like the challenge in DS is a means to an end: creating interesting fights. The elation i feel after winning a tough fight is followed by the disappointment that I won't get do that fight again for a long time. On the poorer fights, there is no elation, only relief that i'll never have to do it again.

The good fights are the reward themselves (but i do like getting fun dress up clothes).

Would be great to have something like a portal to all the bosses to play them again. It could be accessed from the menu so it doesn't break the games immersion or something like this ;)

But I agree with you, it's all about rewarding fight and the great feeling you have after beating an insane boss. That's it, what makes these games addictive and why I love them.

Sooo... I add these to my cart and they disappear? :(

Seems like they are region locked to North America, where are you from?

dex3108

It is hard to admit but i don't have CS:GO and it is now on sale. I am not sure how much money i have on my account so wish me luck SteamGAF XD

That's what you get when you don't keep money in bank. Oh well sale will last 48 hours i can always go to bank tomorrow :D

Dr Dogg

Well I guess I just broke the Terrorists Law! Again!

Actually it does feel a little less innocuous that you have to fiddle around with to get stuff to work now.

50j.gif

Huh that's going to send me off on a trek to Moby Games for some research. Then again my last foray into Japan only titles returned 15,000 Visual Novels so I'm a bit cautious.

Hmm.. I guess I should start using PixelVision for the fonts feature. I game on my TV and I would prefer if the text was a little bigger.

There might be a few others but it allows you to specify the scaling of fonts via the config files for the them. Though the latest client does indeed scale with higher DPI as a system wide variable the fonts are still screwed (it's not like directDraw and DirectWrite are almost a decade old or anything!).

Sooo... I add these to my cart and they disappear? :(

Nuuvem right? Yeah if you're not in Brazil supposedly region locked stuff and items not for sale outside of Brazil vanish upon checkout. Of course there is an age old method to approach that...

Edit: And I see you're already on to that.

JordanKZ

Seems like they are region locked to North America, where are you from?

I'm not exactly sure how people outside of Brazil buy it. IIRC, most people use Hola.

Nuuvem right? Yeah if you're not in Brazil supposedly region locked stuff and items not for sale outside of Brazil vanish upon checkout. Of course there is an age old method to approach that...

The UK, but using Hola sorted it.

Thanks guys!

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shadow of Mordor's achievement set is looking pretty straight forward and easy. Alien Isolation's looks a fair bit harder. There will definitely be some tricky ones to manage there it seems.

Dr Dogg

Shadow of Mordor's achievement set is looking pretty straight forward and easy. Alien Isolation's looks a fair bit harder. There will definitely be some tricky ones to manage there it seems.

Still on the fence about Shadow of Mordor but I'm warming to it every new update I've seen. The was a behind the scenes vid with Troy Baker and another voice actor and the story sounds a lot better than i thought it would.

Regards to cheesments though.
Paths of the Dead
Collect 25% of the Artifacts.

Well it's got collectibles and Assassininging so I guess Jase will be happy. Although this caught my eye...
Height of Despair
Use Strike From Above while at least 60 feet above your target.

I get the feeling there is going to be a lot of scope for dicking around.

Sendou

Shadow of Mordor is one of those games where reviews are going to decide whether I get it day one or not. Basically I could enjoy it but it's always so hard to tell with these games what's the final quality of the product.

Tellaerin

Thanks for all the birthday well wishes fellas. It is now officially not my birthday, though I am continuing drinking since I started the celebration so late. Special thanks to freshVeggie who gifted me Artemis Spaceship Bridge Simulator. Been wanting to try it out for a while, now I just gotta convince a bunch of other people that they want to play it too.

Hey, happy birthday, man! :D

So SteamGAF what made y'all want to join/sign up for Steam and what was the first game you purchased bought on/through Steam?

Left 4 Dead in 2008.

It was not what I expected or wanted based all the talk about it, but still fun. I would not have gotten it, however, if I knew L4D2 would inundate its existence a year later, and ruin the series.

Oh well, it introduced me to Steam.

Counter Strike Global Offensive at 7€ ? Hmm, usually don't buy that high but I am not gonna lie.
Seeing that playing can earn you a bit... CS:GO is not region-locked for the Russian region I hope.?

Can be bypassed via VPN?
Just bought mirror of Fate, can't wait to play a good old metroidvania
I said that because on the steam page and in the nuuvem page, there's a warning about redeeming on other countries, but he managed to redeem just fine, and i cant see any mention of region locking or nocrossregion trading.

Tizoc

I'd say of the Lords of Shadow games, the first one is the only one I liked.

MoF wasn't for me but I could recommend it for those that want a 2D casltevania, but LoS2 left so much to be desired.

I joined because it was mandatory for MW2, the first game I bought directly from Steam was Bioshock 2 during a Winter Sale where I ended up going alittle crazy. Out of nearly 300 games about 50 i've bought directly from Steam so far.

Jawmuncher

I wonder how Konami is going to price Ground Zeroes.
Though if they do stick with the 30 it'll be 50% off by the winter sale if it's out before then since the digital versions went on sale for that much pretty quick.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom