• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Zafir

It's huge alright, but it's not very good. It's... Well, 'alright'. It's got nothing on DA:O, it's not even as good as DA2 in a great deal of aspects, especially the quests. It's basically a boring singleplayer MMO. Side-stuff just isn't worth doing. And we don't like Origin here in SteamGAF, mind. :p

If you need a big RPG... Play Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, The Witcher 1 or 2, Gothic... Just... Don't waste that much money on something that mediocre. I'd rather recommend WoW or even an inferior MMO.You don't care for Wasteland 2? If it's due to the writing, you'll hate DA:I. :p
I'm not sure why anyone would hate on Inquisition for boring side quests then suggest Skyrim. :p I feel that game is even worse considering it doesn't even have good characters or story to pull you through any monotony.

_hekk05

Banned
So Nekopara Vol. 1 has a store page now.

http://cdn.akamai.steamstatic.com/steam/apps/333600/header.jpg?t=1417804340[IMG]

Sekai Project confirmed that it's going to be $9.99 at launch a little while ago.[/QUOTE]

M-M-Megaton!!!

Edit: I see fresh veggie and jawmuncher have excellente taste

After 4 hours of Arkham Asylum, I can say that while its a great game, City has it beat everywhere. Especially in the menu department lol.

But I am enjoying it a lot.

I disagree, sir. But you are entitled to your opinion. :p

I
-SFV exclusive for PS4 and PC. Super werid in all ways. Hate bought exclusivity. Only hurts people. At first those who don't own a specific platform. But there's more. I fear that stuff like this perpetually brings more and more exclusivity "deals". As one company feels the need to pamper its owners for having stuff only for their own too. And what's a faster way than outright buying? Whether timed or full. Investing in first-party studios is such a hassle after all. -_-

Did Sony come out and say they bought it? If not, perhaps Capcom, like ASW, decided to go PS4 only and leave the X1 out in the cold of their own volition. Combine that with Capcom's MT framework allowing for easy PC porting and it makes a lot of sense to me.

Again, the real shame is that KI is currently locked on X1.
While I sit here and dream of games I'd love to buy on PC (like Vanquish and Bayonetta (1 and 2 :p)), the newest Killer Instinct (after watching footage of Max on YT @ 60fps) not coming to PC and being X1 exclusive... that's the real tragedy. :p

Touche. I can get behind a good train wreck!

Well, you did like Arkham City...
I kid, I kid. But people like them cause sometimes there's new announcements or trailers.

That pigeon game is going to be on console I think!

Hey! I know you! <3
And yes, Hatoful Boyfriend is going to PS systems.

No, god no, I loved Divinity. I played the entire thing co-op with my ex when we were still together
-breaks down and cries-

Wasteland 2 is the one i meant as being completely dreadful

edit*

Skyrim is terribly boring to me. Plus, I love using a controller over mouse and keyboard, and I'd hop on Guild Wars 2 (which is $20 right now) if I could manage to get some kinda gamepad support going.

You didn't like Wasteland 2? That's a shame -- I have high hopes for it the next time I start an RPG and wander into that one.

My current dilemma, speaking of "starting" things, is what to start after I finish up with what I feel is enough TEW for now. I know I'm more than 50% through and I plan to finish it up this weekend (and start some achievement cleanup)... but I don't know which game of my backlog to hit up next.

For some reason, the two that really jump out at me are Lords of the Fallen or The Witcher 2.

So Nekopara Vol. 1 has a store page now.

Sekai Project confirmed that it's going to be $9.99 at launch a little while ago.

triple-h-nod.gif

You didn't like Wasteland 2? That's a shame -- I have high hopes for it the next time I start an RPG and wander into that one.

My current dilemma, speaking of "starting" things, is what to start after I finish up with what I feel is enough TEW for now. I know I'm more than 50% through and I plan to finish it up this weekend (and start some achievement cleanup)... but I don't know which game of my backlog to hit up next.

For some reason, the two that really jump out at me are Lords of the Fallen or The Witcher 2.

I dunno, I seriously felt like I was spoiled by Divinity, I feel like I would've appreciated it more had I done Wasteland first.

Also, starting up new things is the worst. The Evil Within is great. I've been considering starting up Witcher 2 for my first time, to get into the franchise
because 1 doesn't game controller support :p

Lords of the Fallen seems pretty dull to me, but that's only because I've put in 3k hours across all the souls games, but I'd be all for it at a low price. So Witcha 2 gets my vote for what it's worth.

Maniac

Banned
I'm not sure why anyone would hate on Inquisition for boring side quests then suggest Skyrim. :p I feel that game is even worse considering it doesn't even have good characters or story to pull you through any monotony.

Skyrim is cheaper than DAI and just as janky and with just as boring writing, but atleast it has a few side-quests that're actually memorable :p

tmarg

Divinity is cheap in Russia . anybody seen it sold for like 5 keys or a similar amount in paypal dollars? The new rules have killed key trading.

I got it for $11 from a guy in the b/s/t thread. I think that's about 5 keys, right? It's on Sale for the same price for the awards show right now.

Fucking juniors and their gamepads... Eurgh. L2PCMasterracepls. :p

You two need to git gud and start modding ;)

(1) Gamepads are what nature intended.. Stop going against nature.
(2) Skyrim is good enough that I suffered through the PS3 version... and STILL got the platinum. XD

Dr.Acula

Banned
After pumping 80 very enjoyable hours into Wasteland 2, I'm finding it hard to get into Divinity.

I had to go online and read a FAQ a little bit just because (early Divinity: OS spoilers)
I didn't know I couldn't solve the introductory murder quest without first leaving the town, because all the town exits except ONE have super-strong enemies that destroy your party right outside.

And I'm still not that sure where to go, what to do, or any of it.

Wasteland 2 was a lot more intuitive about what my goals were.

bigzgod

noob question about region locked games
how i can tell if the gift i am getting is RU or ROW ?

You can't really tell with gifts in your inventory until after you activate, which you can then use steam console to check which subid you activated and the location of the purchase. The best you can do prior to activation is to go to steamdb and manually check if there are any region locks. If you see a tag of "AllowCrossRegionTradingAndGifting = false" or something like that, it's region locked.

L.O.R.D

Maniac

Banned
I disagree, sir. But you are entitled to your opinion. :p
Asylum had much better narrative pacing. Like, miles better. But that's more often than not just the way it is with openworld games. Or, well, open-city games, the narrative tends to suffer. I personally prefer Asylum over City in a loooot of ways, but I'm a sucker for the freedom you're given in City.

I'd really recommend The Witcher 2. Have you really not played it yet? If so, you've made a huge mistake. Fantastic writing, fabulously choreographed combat (imo, some people don't like it, but I *love* it on higher difficulties)

Well-written sidequests, really good pacing, beautiful world, good graphics, well-written characters... Well, really, it's all well-written, beautiful looking and well-choreographed. And it's rather mature and not fan-service-y about the nudity you'll encounter. Atleast for the most part.
Also, starting up new things is the worst. The Evil Within is great. I've been considering starting up Witcher 2 for my first time, to get into the franchise

Lords of the Fallen seems pretty dull to me, but that's only because I've put in 3k hours across all the souls games, but I'd be all for it at a low price. So Witcha 2 gets my vote for what it's worth.
What? You've not played The Witcher, and you want to play the design-abomination that is DA:I?! STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! Play The Witcher 2. It wont take long until you need it in your veins! And refer to what I wrote to Frost if you want to know more. :p

What? You've not played The Witcher, and you want to play the design-abomination that is DA:I?! STOP RIGHT THERE, CRIMINAL SCUM! Play The Witcher 2. It wont take long until you need it in your veins!
(1) Gamepads are what nature intended.. Stop going against nature.
(2) Skyrim is good enough that I suffered through the PS3 version... and STILL got the platinum. XD

Fuck, vanilla platinum!? You're a brave soul. Honestly though, I played a lot of Skyrim vanilla and enjoyed it. It wasn't until 70-ish hours in I started modding it. Now I'm 3, 400 hours in. ;)

And don't worry, you. All things not first person I tend to play with my Razer Onza. Some stuff just isn't fit for it imo, but the majority of none first person stuff is.

Anteater

The_monk is back

This thread is finally back on track.

Still can't wait for the dmc5 announcement.

Are you ready for the dmc5 announcement the_monk!?

Maniac

Banned
Do we have a countdown going for tonight's L4D3 announcement? :p
Yup! http://thegameawards.com/

Cheeky DMC edit, eh? I like your style.

But yeah, I can't help but think that Valve is going to, at the very least, announce a new game somewhere between now and Q2 of next year. I really doubt they'd let a Source 2 port be their Source 2 flagship game. And by the sound of things, L4D3 was always intended for that.

Games:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 2 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (bobnowhere, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-C3C77A1B50192656 - Taken by freshVeggie
KnightShift -- MB-B2EA58CFE4128B4D - Taken by gaiadyne

Excellent!

Cheeky DMC edit, eh? I like your style.

Hehe. I posted in the thread before reading the previous posts and wanted to add in my thoughts about Devil May Cry.

But yeah, I can't help but think that Valve is going to, at the very least, announce a new game somewhere between now and Q2 of next year. I really doubt they'd let a Source 2 port be their Source 2 flagship game. And by the sound of things, L4D3 was always intended for that.

I doubt it too. I honestly think that they'll officially announce Left 4 Dead 3 and the Dota 2 Source 2 port at the same time. To let modders and game developers know that you could easily create new games as well as port old Source/GoldSource games into the new engine.

I played through The Old City: Leviathan in one session of about two and a half hours. The developer reckons it can take anywhere between half an hour and five hours to complete the game depending on how much you explore and how fast you read. I fully agree with this estimate because this game has a lot to read.

First things first... this is a 'walking simulator'. There's no combat, no danger to your life, no puzzle solving, nothing. There's almost no player interaction outside of opening doors and walking around. I'm guessing that will put off quite a few folks right off the bat. The game has about 10 levels and each takes 15-20 minutes to explore. Each map has some interlinking paths so it's possible to lose direction once in a while but it's never a major issue.

The highlight of the game is definitely it's artwork. It's the second Unreal engine game in two months that looks as good as anything on the market right now. Every level looks absolutely gorgeous, which is saying something when half the game takes place underground or in sewers. The artwork is bursting with creativity. Post apocalyptic, surreal, macabre... everything rolled into one. Runs well too (though it's locked at 62fps because UE3).

A sample of what it looks like
Now here's the downside. This has the Dear Esther narrator syndrome dialed up to a hundred. Every single line that is spoken was that typical pseudo-philosophical bullshit that never makes sense. Apart from the narrator babbling gibberish as you play through, most of the story telling is done through long notes and pages littered around the world. And when I say long, I mean really long. Pages that can take up to five minutes to read. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's also filled with the same meaningless psychobabble. My eyes would just glaze over trying to keep it straight.

So for me, the writing completely lets the game down. I have only a very vague notion of what story was being told. As such it's a difficult game to recommend. It was kind of worth it to just wander through this beautiful game world they've crafted but you'd have to be extremely patient to actually absorb the writing.

If anyone wants a sample of the writing... the game has seven collectible notes that you gather through the game that you can later read in the main menu. Screenshots wouldn't be enough so I made a small video to show a friend. Feel free to pause anywhere to see what I'm talking about.

Maniac

Banned
How much do Souls go on sale for during Steam sales..?
You're a meanie. And you should stop being a meanie. Goddamn junior :( Seriously though, play The Witcher 2. You need it in your veins. I need it in your veins.

Aaaaanyhooow lads, it's high time I got some more GAF-y friends. Last time I put my profile in an actual post though, I was added by 8 bots and 6 gafers. So you'll have to quote to get the link.
I played through The Old City: Leviathan in one session of about two and a half hours. The developer reckons it can take anywhere between half an hour and five hours to complete the game depending on how much you explore and how fast you read. I fully agree with this estimate because this game has a lot to read.

First things first... this is a 'walking simulator'. There's no combat, no danger to your life, no puzzle solving, nothing. There's almost no player interaction outside of opening doors and walking around. I'm guessing that will put off quite a few folks right off the bat. The game has about 10 levels and each takes 15-20 minutes to explore. Each map has some interlinking paths so it's possible to lose direction once in a while but it's never a major issue.

The highlight of the game is definitely it's artwork. It's the second Unreal engine game in two months that looks as good as anything on the market right now. Every level looks absolutely gorgeous, which is saying something when half the game takes place underground or in sewers. The artwork is bursting with creativity. Post apocalyptic, surreal, macabre... everything rolled into one. Runs well too (though it's locked at 62fps because UE3).

A sample of what it looks like

Now here's the downside. This has the Dear Esther narrator syndrome dialed up to a hundred. Every single line that is spoken was that typical pseudo-philosophical bullshit that never makes sense. Apart from the narrator babbling gibberish as you play through, most of the story telling is done through long notes and pages littered around the world. And when I say long, I mean really long. Pages that can take up to five minutes to read. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's also filled with the same meaningless psychobabble. My eyes would just glaze over trying to keep it straight.

So for me, the writing completely lets the game down. I have only a very vague notion of what story was being told. As such it's a difficult game to recommend. It was kind of worth it to just wander through this beautiful game world they've crafted but you'd have to be extremely patient to actually absorb the writing.

If anyone wants a sample of the writing... the game has seven collectible notes that you gather through the game that you can later read in the main menu. Screenshots wouldn't be enough so I made a small video (dropbox, 50MB) to show a friend. Feel free to download and pause anywhere to see what I'm talking about.

Could you quote the huge screenies? :p

Anyway, it does look really damn good. It's the kind of game I'd walk through when I'm lost for inspiration for my next piece or a level, landscape etc.

And to chill and enjoy what the person has created. I myself love to just wonder around environments I've built in Unreal. ^_~'

image.php

Damn, you're really decked out for christmas huh? All I got was this lousy shirt. And hat. They're both hilariously badly cropped, too. :p

I'd really like some more info on Cyberpunk 2077. It's been ages since that trailer.

I think they've said something like, they're not talking about it until after Witcher 3 ships. But yeah, I'm really excited for that game, I hate when stuff like that gets announced way early, and then pretty much drops off the radar.

Yeah, with them getting whatever that announcement for Dota 2 was today out of the way, I feel it's more likely they'd announce something tonight. They probably won't, but it feels like the chances are better than E3 or something. But that's just me...

So what announcements would people flip out over? Personally, I'd kill to see any of these,

• Half-Life 3
  • Any other Valve game announcement (unless it's more F2P junk)
  • Microsoft PC support with Halo, Sunset Overdrive, other exclusives blah blah, coming with Windows 10.
  • Irrational Games/2K with BioShock 4
  • Bethesda with Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls VI

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
With as much as The Witcher 3 has been an endless hype train this year, I expect the same for Cyberpunk 2077
in 2016

C2077 is CDPR's Half-Life 3. "We announced it, sure, but that doesn't mean we have to talk about it..."

(For the sake of accuracy: yes, I realise Valve hasn't announced HL3, but it did announce Episode Three.)

_hekk05

Banned

Half-Life 3

Lol

Any other Valve game announcement (unless it's more F2P junk)

Lol

Microsoft PC support with Halo, Sunset Overdrive, other exclusives blah blah, coming with Windows 10.

Lol

Irrational Games/2K with BioShock 4

Probably not

Bethesda with Fallout 4 or Elder Scrolls VI

Bethesda confirmed no fallout at VGA.

Maniac

Banned
I doubt it too. I honestly think that they'll officially announce Left 4 Dead 3 and the Dota 2 Source 2 port at the same time. To let modders and game developers know that you could easily create new games as well as port old Source/GoldSource games into the new engine.
I'm hopeful this'll be the case. Regardless, I look forward to their new content pipeline. The Workshop alpha for Dota 2 is just really damn powerful (and the super rough, partial port of Dota 2 to Source 2 that comes with it has awesome performance too, mind!) and I don't really know what to further expect for the likes of future L4Ds, CS & TFs. I can only assume they'll add micros to L4D because... They love them, and they prolong the support you can justify giving to a game hundredfold. Either way, I want to see whatever else they have up their sleeve for UGC, they've realised the importance of it, and they've doubled down on it and definitely banked on it big time.
I think they've said something like, they're not talking about it until after Witcher 3 ships. But yeah, I'm really excited for that game, I hate when stuff like that gets announced way early, and then pretty much drops off the radar.

Yeah, with them getting whatever that announcement for Dota 2 was today out of the way, I feel it's more likely they'd announce something tonight. They probably won't, but it feels like the chances are better than E3 or something. But that's just me...
Man, I too really look forward to more stuff from Cyberpunk. I can only assume I'll preorder a collectors edition before it's even revealed... Like I did with TW3 >_<...

And the Dota thing was definitely them announcing a full-blown Source 2 Dota 2 port, but they were being coy and just said 'engine update' and workshop tools, etc etc. I can't help but think we'll see something else in the interim. And oi! Dota 2 isn't junk :[
I might not live all the way through a DC reveal.

#Believe

Top Bottom