• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

zkylon

zkylewd
I personally think Divinity did really, really well in the aspect of improving oldschool CRPGs. It's modernised in a good way. A lot of the jank has been cut out and I really think it strikes a really good balance between oldschool and modern.
yeah, i don't agree. i think the visuals are very nice and the combat's fun and interesting but almost everything about it felt archaic

things like crafting, inventory management, item quickslots, that shitty teleport menu that added new maps on the bottom instead of the top (and the quest log did the same!), the super cramped character screen that didn't make it super obvious what adding skills/stats exactly did (tho this wasn't that bad), doing things like lockpicking/trap defusing, etc.

why do you have to use the lockpick on the locked door, why can't things be automatically identified, why doesn't enemy stats show based on your highest perception character on every turn instead of only being able to see them during that character's turn?

it was maybe a bit better than in like 1998 but nothing looked refined or modern or streamlined in the way it should be for a 2014 videogame

and i do think there are things that should be streamlined for the betterment of old school rpgs

Maniac

Banned
This is just inviting Valve to literally announce shit. :p

Feces™ Simulator 2015; Physics based gameplay like you've never seen before. With a wealth of UGC™ Creation Tools™ unlike anything you've ever seen; only now, you wont even get paid. PLEASE BE EXCITED!

_hekk05

Banned
It's not like I'm expecting any of those. Those are just the only things that would really actually excite me, short of some awesome new IP reveal.

Sure I want to be amazed too, but I'm just too jaded at this point.

You get hurt less if you pretend not to care

&#65377;&#65381;&#65439;&#65439;*(>&#1076;<)*&#65439;&#65439;&#65381;&#65377;

xHiryu

Had a GAF account for a few weeks, but looked for this thread for a while lol, never occurred that it would be in the community section. Kinda new to here, but lurked for a while.

Could I get an invite to Steam GAF at some point, steam id: Clint Beastwood

Thanks!

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Feces™ Simulator 2015; Physics based gameplay like you've never seen before. With a wealth of UGC™ Creation Tools™ unlike anything you've ever seen; only now, you wont even get paid. PLEASE BE EXCITED!

Throw in some pre-purchase incentives and I'm there.

DarKshodaN

I couldn't find the source you used and only had the GIF to work with.
Just slightly better quality if you choose to use either.
nk2duuwt.png
nk1dvu63.png

I might not live all the way through a DC reveal.

Thanks alot! That's really nice from you :)

Kiru

image.php

Damn, you're really decked out for christmas huh? All I got was this lousy shirt. And hat. They're both hilariously badly cropped, too. :p
Damn right! :D
Made it easy on myself though, just searched for a pic of Kuroi Mato with christmas stuff, luckily there was one and I only had to crop and change the colors a bit :)

Long post incoming.
It is really sad. It just feels like its such a chore to deal with japanese business partners. If you work with business partners from Korea, China, America, India, both parties try to reach an agreement, that benefits both.
When we dealt with anime-publishers (we were also interested in Haruhi, Bleach and some other titles) it was always the Japanese trying to stand on top with us either accepting it or not buying the rights of the series.

If you know the Inuyasha Fansubproject in Germany, where we did the subtitles for Rumiko Takahashi shows, you might heard of me.
Hm. You are in the anime or game industry? Care to talk a bit about it? Very interested to hear about it first-hand! If you fear being too OT then PM/steam chat please.
-
The redesigned version of Higurashi When They Cry (ch. 1) has a store page.

Still looks hideous.
Hideous???
That's super cute! Off to the wishlist!
-
Hey SteamGAF what is your opinion on GTA V PC releasing almost year and a half after initial launch and after next-gen remaster? I am still not sure will I buy it day one. I don't want to give big money to R* and support their behavior.
It's really obvious what you should do then. Just don't buy the game for at least 2 months after release. It is the time period pubs are most interested in and the time you can vote with your wallet the most effectively. Afterwards get the game at solid discounts and still enjoy it. The pubs will have gotten the message by that time anyway.
-
he's a monster.
Nah. He's as much of a monster as the hunchback of notre dame or the monster of the opera.
-
The Enhanced Steam Standalone beta has begun! This is a huge redesign of the alpha version and there are a lot of changes.
  • Enhanced Steam is moving from alpha to beta, expect bugs
  • Completely redesigned launcher
  • More seamless user experience - Steam is Enhanced when launcher is running
  • Enhanced Steam no longer requires editing your host files
  • Added the option to minimize to system tray
  • Updated the codebase to include more features
  • Updated the codebase to work with the new Steam store layout
  • Enhanced Steam will now check for updates automatically
  • Enhanced Steam now requires an administrator to run
  • The application is now Windows only
If you have the alpha version of Enhanced Steam Standalone, you'll need to remove it before running the beta version. Additionally, you may need to edit you hosts file (typically c:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\hosts) to remove the two Steam-related entries.

Please remember: this software is still in beta and there will be bugs. I'll try to help resolve any issues you may be having, but please remember to be patient.

The beta can be downloaded directly from http://www.EnhancedSteam.com/standalone/. Please do not download Enhanced Steam from unknown sources.

Installation is simple, simply extract the contents of the ZIP file anywhere on your PC. Then simply launch Enhanced Steam.exe.

Thanks for your participation in the beta. I hope to improve the application even further based on your feedback!
Nice! We were just talking about it yesterday as well. Gonna give it a try. Excited about having ES functionalities without having to wait a couple secs.
Do you recommend uninstalling ES browser plugin beforehand?
-
That's odd. Anyone ever seen this? I just got this email from Steam.
I'm guessing it's related to that free Brawlhalla thing.
No would be my guess. One can ask steam when knowing a cd key as to whether he has used the key.
For example. You bought many bundles which give keys. It can be that you have now multiple keys for the same game. But you don't know which key you used and which are unused (maybe you want to give the keys to a friend etc.).
I don't know the actual procedure but you send a query to steam about a key and when you get a mail which says it's activated on your account you then know that key was used by you.
I never did this but from what I've read this should be the gist of it. Maybe I am totally wrong though :p
In doubt ask JaseC.
-
Crazy times. Such a game being exclusive to PC. Haha. Would have never guessed the stepchild of gaming platforms to be in such a healthy position. More and more I am glad I chose PC as my main platform. Weird though. If Sony payed for exclusivity then why not go full? Why be ok with PC as well?
I am not asking for that though, hah. The less exclusives the better. And bought Exclusives are the worst!
Dat Chun Li
Ryu looking angry.
Artstyle looks very similar to IV. Wish I was into fighting games. So many great games available. And new stuff on the horizon with DOA, SFV, Guilty Gear. But I just can't. I wan't a story, exploring characters. Not just fighting. I watched the "story movie" of a fighting game and it was surprisingly entertaining. Like a solid b-movie.
-
These gave me a good chuckle.
-
If only pubs and QA teams would copy my idea (you can have it for free folks).
That's actually a very nifty method!
-
Damn. Got me all pumped up.The first one that is :p
Second fits better somehow but the first one, Damn. Damn.
This game gets a solid amount of love. Would love to see it come to pc at some point.
-
Ah yes. Speak of the devil" It is coming. Wait Online? Aww man. Just bring the first game.

:/
-
Steam has a banner and page for The Game Awards
http://store.steampowered.com/sale/2014vgas/
itshappening
Is that Wolfenstein deal better than the Autumn sale?
With the new venture into streaming, is steam gonna stream this as well?

Also, this made me smile. I really do not buy new games. lol
On that. I know some
(frost)
don't like these kind of questions but I do value my fellow steam-gaf folks opinion.
How is Divinity OS? It looks quite intriguing.
-
Indie Gala The Feudal Resistance Bundle
  • Life is Feudal - Your Own
  • Bedlam
  • Unrest
  • Bionic Heart
Only $23.99..
Life is Feudal and Bedlam look super cool though. But yeah, like you said. Not 24$ cool.
They are likely to get significantly cheaper in the close future.
-
So my mind is officially blown after watching the 30 minute interview with Hello Games' Sean Murray on No Man's Sky. http://www.gameinformer.com/b/featu...te-behind-the-scenes-tour-of-no-mans-sky.aspx
The entire video Sean was saying that any input to the generation function would always yield the same output, but the literal explanation of that didn't dawn on me until he used a Sine Function to explain himself. That is why they do not have to store any information about their procedurally generated universe, when two different people observe the same planet, it will always be the same thing, but it also hasn't been generated until they actually visit.
This formula that generates planets also generates creatures, enemies, ships, and other NPCs around the galaxy. They design and animate a base model, then generate an infinite amount of creatures from that model.
This game is the real deal.
[]http://i.minus.com/ijqhXpmjsBjeV.gif[/]
Nice to get more info. Will watch it it later.
But wasn't this procedural generation already being used over 20 years ago with Elite?
It was out of necessity back then because of storage restrictions afair. Still a very clever method which should be worked with and upon more. I sense a lot is possible with that.
-
LOL, Videogamer.com "pre exclusive scoop" for the Game Awards tonight
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7qRdjQRSso
Is the guy talking Scottish? Some parts were very hard to understand.
But it's a pleasant dialect tbh.
-
Never understood why some of you guys quote from more than a couple pages back.
It's new to me!
-
So Nekopara Vol. 1 has a store page now.

Sekai Project confirmed that it's going to be $9.99 at launch a little while ago.
Looks... ehrm.. interesting.
Art is nice but I do hope there's a good story to it as well.
-
You and Grief are the only ones worth talking to in this disgusting, run down community, friend.
But... I thought we were... we were friends...

My old heart can only take this much.
-
Did Sony come out and say they bought it? If not, perhaps Capcom, like ASW, decided to go PS4 only and leave the X1 out in the cold of their own volition. Combine that with Capcom's MT framework allowing for easy PC porting and it makes a lot of sense to me.
I just put my detective instincts to work >_>
But yeah, I seriously can't imagine a big pub stay off a platform with millions of users because of porting issues. Heck, I'd wager most pubs would rather put out horribly bad ports than none at all!
Then again, it is weird that PC is there as well. Hm. Did Sony just pony up enough to get the game away from xbox? I can't imagine anyone paying to get the game on pc system. Who would? There ain't no system holder after all.

Killer Instinct huh? You really like brawling/fighting games don't you. Shouldn't you be "hyped" for Street Fighter V then? As it is the biggest thing in the fighting scene.

Disclaimer: My knowledge about the fighting scene is restricted to my time playing Super Street Fighter 2 on my first gaming machine; Amiga 500!
-
Woah. I am so used to gamersydes impeccable video quality that throughout the whole video all I could think was "what horrible IQ". How am I supposed to see any pc improvements like that?

The game itself remains a riddle. Looks story focused which is great. Always great seeing japanese games finding their way on pc :)
And it should bridge the time gap until sega brings yakuza 1-5, kenzan and ishin to steam.

Suck it bayo/vanquish lovers.... or should I say frosty lovers :p
-
I played through The Old City: Leviathan in one session of about two and a half hours. The developer reckons it can take anywhere between half an hour and five hours to complete the game depending on how much you explore and how fast you read. I fully agree with this estimate because this game has a lot to read.

First things first... this is a 'walking simulator'. There's no combat, no danger to your life, no puzzle solving, nothing. There's almost no player interaction outside of opening doors and walking around. I'm guessing that will put off quite a few folks right off the bat. The game has about 10 levels and each takes 15-20 minutes to explore. Each map has some interlinking paths so it's possible to lose direction once in a while but it's never a major issue.

The highlight of the game is definitely it's artwork. It's the second Unreal engine game in two months that looks as good as anything on the market right now. Every level looks absolutely gorgeous, which is saying something when half the game takes place underground or in sewers. The artwork is bursting with creativity. Post apocalyptic, surreal, macabre... everything rolled into one. Runs well too (though it's locked at 62fps because UE3).

A sample of what it looks like

Now here's the downside. This has the Dear Esther narrator syndrome dialed up to a hundred. Every single line that is spoken was that typical pseudo-philosophical bullshit that never makes sense. Apart from the narrator babbling gibberish as you play through, most of the story telling is done through long notes and pages littered around the world. And when I say long, I mean really long. Pages that can take up to five minutes to read. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's also filled with the same meaningless psychobabble. My eyes would just glaze over trying to keep it straight.

So for me, the writing completely lets the game down. I have only a very vague notion of what story was being told. As such it's a difficult game to recommend. It was kind of worth it to just wander through this beautiful game world they've crafted but you'd have to be extremely patient to actually absorb the writing.

If anyone wants a sample of the writing... the game has seven collectible notes that you gather through the game that you can later read in the main menu. Screenshots wouldn't be enough so I made a small video (dropbox, 50MB) to show a friend. Feel free to download and pause anywhere to see what I'm talking about.
Very nice write-up. Thanks!
I love walking sims. Adore them. Good Lord, this looks so good. And your downside about psychobabble is a positive for me actually.
Looking forward to getting this in the future.

Maniac

Banned
yeah, i don't agree. i think the visuals are very nice and the combat's fun and interesting but almost everything about it felt archaic

things like crafting, inventory management, item quickslots, that shitty teleport menu that added new maps on the bottom instead of the top (and the quest log did the same!), the super cramped character screen that didn't make it super obvious what adding skills/stats exactly did (tho this wasn't that bad), doing things like lockpicking/trap defusing, etc.

why do you have to use the lockpick on the locked door, why can't things be automatically identified, why doesn't enemy stats show based on your highest perception character on every turn instead of only being able to see them during that character's turn?

it was maybe a bit better than in like 1998 but nothing looked refined or modern or streamlined in the way it should be for a 2014 videogame

and i do think there are things that should be streamlined for the betterment of old school rpgs
I definitely didn't mean to imply that it was all great. And I didn't ever mention streamlining, yo. Although it does need a lot of it. But mechanically it's seen a lot of good modernisation, and a lot of jank has been cut out. But there's still a lot left. And I think some of your examples are excellent, because having the player manually pick the lockpick, then click the door really isn't great design.

And... Well, I actually agree with all the other examples aswell. It's far from perfect and flawless, but it's the best modernisation I've seen thus far, even if it could still use quite a lot more, especially in the streamlining and GUI department. (Fuck the teleporter menu. Seriously. Fuck it.)

Ofcourse there's only so much you can do with a limited budget, but still, a lot of the stuff that I really disliked, and things that put me off, were mostly very, very arbitrary things. Here's to a more streamlined and well-designed Original Sin 2, eh? :p
Throw in some pre-purchase incentives and I'm there.
Excluuuusiiiiiive preorder DLC!: A playerskin that consists of a golden, diamond-studded poo.

Digital Deluxe Super Megaton Incredibad Editionalso includes the following hats: Heavy Weapons Guy Ushenka, Sniper Hat, Engineer Hat, Gordon Freeman Glasses. SPECIAL OFFER:

Buy the season pass NOW! to get all 10 of the metal-plated pebble-shites we've got lined up!
Sorry, fixed it.
It's alright, I was thinking of the peasants on mobile that haven't turned off automatic picture loading ^^

Gorgeous screenies though ;)
Damn right! :D
Made it easy on myself though, just searched for a pic of Kuroi Mato with christmas stuff, luckily there was one and I only had to crop and change the colors a bit :)

Lucky you. Not a whole lot of BJ Blazkowicz' lying about decked in Yule get-up :/

Long post incoming.

Hm. You are in the anime or game industry? Care to talk a bit about it? Very interested to hear about it first-hand! If you fear being too OT then PM/steam chat please.

No. But a few years ago a publisher contacted german fansubbers to do the subtitles for the DVDs with the fansubbers. I was in charge of editing and writing booklets for the project.

But if you work with a publisher you get to know quite a bit about the ways of the industry and how japanese publishers act... all high and mighty..

_hekk05

Banned
hekk05 did you want any of those?
I've only did this one thus far.

Note: I just know how to crop and resize. I can't do anything to fancy aside from transparent if it's a render as those above.

I'm taking this one.

Unfortunately I'm probably gonna change it in a few weeks lol

Maniac

Banned
Also I'll go ahead and copyright Feces Simulator 2015. I'd buy a poo-physics sim with gold-plated, diamond-studded poo any day of the week. So hands off, you thieves!
Am I the only one who doesn't bother to read these? Sorry but three quoted posts is my limit, more is somehow extremely hard to read.

Bollocks, I usually set my limit at four when writing a post! Unless the quotes are super small, I'll extend to 5. So I assume you didn't read about my utterly incredible game? I mean, Valve's utterly feceslicious game? :(

ExoSoul

Banned
Would some of you be interested in a "tips and tricks" guide for Rogue Legacy?
I've gotten more familiar with the game and it could help others get past the initial barrier of the game. I'll be busy during the weekend and if I don't post it by then it would definitely go up by Monday.

zkylon

zkylewd
I definitely didn't mean to imply that it was all great. And I didn't ever mention streamlining, yo. Although it does need a lot of it. But mechanically it's seen a lot of good modernisation, and a lot of jank has been cut out. But there's still a lot left. And I think some of your examples are excellent, because having the player manually pick the lockpick, then click the door really isn't great design.

And... Well, I actually agree with all the other examples aswell. It's far from perfect and flawless, but it's the best modernisation I've seen thus far, even if it could still use quite a lot more, especially in the streamlining and GUI department. (Fuck the teleporter menu. Seriously. Fuck it.)

Ofcourse there's only so much you can do with a limited budget, but still, a lot of the stuff that I really disliked, and things that put me off, were mostly very, very arbitrary things. Here's to a more streamlined and well-designed Original Sin 2, eh? :p

i dunno i'd like some examples of these jank cutting or modernizations you're talking about

i found the game to be pretty much an old school game through and through, in both the good and the bad

No. But a few years ago a publisher contacted german fansubbers to do the subtitles for the DVDs with the fansubbers. I was in charge of editing and writing booklets for the project.
But if you work with a publisher you get to know quite a bit about the ways of the industry and how japanese publishers act... all high and mighty..
Well that's surprising. Fansubbers doing official work? That's actually a nice thing as fansubbers do very often put a lot more work and effort into their work.
You are in china right? What is it that you do if you don't mind?
-
Am I the only one who doesn't bother to read these? Sorry but three quoted posts is my limit, more is somehow extremely hard to read.
You are never the only one. But yeah, I understand you kinda. I also considered splitting into smaller chunks but since it's weekend and thread get slow during, I just took a shot.

Wouldn't surprise me if the Nintendo announcement is going to be something silly, like the Cranky Kong announcement from last year's VGX. Some trains are going to crash this weekend!

Well that's surprising. Fansubbers doing official work? That's actually a nice thing as fansubbers do very often put a lot more work and effort into their work.
You are in china right? What is it that you do if you don't mind?

I am a law graduate, but actually german law is useless in China, so right now I am just doing a shitty job till I go back to Germany at the end of next year.

It wasnt really surprising. For the project they got a japanese-german translator and quite a lot of people that knew about the stuff animefans would want.
So instead of "Ms. Name ABC" it was "Name-san" and things like that. It was quite nice actually, but seriously.
The japanese publishers were shit. That was one of the reasons, besides the poor sales for some titles, why Tokyopop Germany stopped buying anime rights.

Actually if you work with them, you also learn quite a bit about how DVD-encoding/Bluray-encoding works. In a normal mkv/mp4 file you can add a lot of effects with the right tools. Moving Karaoke, special effects when someone does a special attack and things like that. That wasnt really that easy when you work with DVDs.

Maniac

Banned
Would some of you be interested in a "tips and tricks" guide for Rogue Legacy?
I've gotten more familiar with the game and it could help others get past the initial barrier of the game. I'll be busy during the weekend and if I don't post it by then it would definitely go up by Monday.

Heck yeah man, I'd love to read it. And I could do with a few tips... I've beaten one boss, but I can't seem to really progress after killing the prick! > Game is hard.
i dunno i'd like some examples of these jank cutting or modernizations you're talking about

i found the game to be pretty much an old school game through and through, in both the good and the bad

That would require actual thinking, and I'm too damn tired to do actual thinking. Maybe another day. I do like the decreased focus and dominance of dicerolls, though. And I loved the fact that you could distract NPCs with one party member and then pickpocket them with another. Speaking of which, I really, really liked the coop implementation. It's so much fun when playing together with friends.
I can't believe people are actually expecting a announcement from Valve. Are you guys new to this?

I expect one within the next 4-6 months. But I really don't expect one tonight.

Also please, can we have another Disney-GIF?
since it's weekend and thread get slow during, I just took a shot.

Slowed down? I'm pretty sure this is the fastest it's moved in weeks :p

Nabs

Nah, you're not alone. I actually blocked someone for that, but then everyone started doing it. Heh.

Dr Dogg

Too much KH has scrambled my brain. I'm sure Nomura thinks he's crafted an elegant and thought provoking world but really it's fag packet poetry.

Had a GAF account for a few weeks, but looked for this thread for a while lol, never occurred that it would be in the community section. Kinda new to here, but lurked for a while.

Thanks!

Since none of these miserable gits are going to do it allow me to say welcome to the dark side of GAF! I would shoot your a Steam Group invite but sadly I'm on my phone but hopefully someone will sort you out soon(ish)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
I played through The Old City: Leviathan in one session of about two and a half hours. The developer reckons it can take anywhere between half an hour and five hours to complete the game depending on how much you explore and how fast you read. I fully agree with this estimate because this game has a lot to read.

First things first... this is a 'walking simulator'. There's no combat, no danger to your life, no puzzle solving, nothing. There's almost no player interaction outside of opening doors and walking around. I'm guessing that will put off quite a few folks right off the bat. The game has about 10 levels and each takes 15-20 minutes to explore. Each map has some interlinking paths so it's possible to lose direction once in a while but it's never a major issue.

The highlight of the game is definitely it's artwork. It's the second Unreal engine game in two months that looks as good as anything on the market right now. Every level looks absolutely gorgeous, which is saying something when half the game takes place underground or in sewers. The artwork is bursting with creativity. Post apocalyptic, surreal, macabre... everything rolled into one. Runs well too (though it's locked at 62fps because UE3).

A sample of what it looks like

Now here's the downside. This has the Dear Esther narrator syndrome dialed up to a hundred. Every single line that is spoken was that typical pseudo-philosophical bullshit that never makes sense. Apart from the narrator babbling gibberish as you play through, most of the story telling is done through long notes and pages littered around the world. And when I say long, I mean really long. Pages that can take up to five minutes to read. Which wouldn't be so bad except it's also filled with the same meaningless psychobabble. My eyes would just glaze over trying to keep it straight.

So for me, the writing completely lets the game down. I have only a very vague notion of what story was being told. As such it's a difficult game to recommend. It was kind of worth it to just wander through this beautiful game world they've crafted but you'd have to be extremely patient to actually absorb the writing.

If anyone wants a sample of the writing... the game has seven collectible notes that you gather through the game that you can later read in the main menu. Screenshots wouldn't be enough so I made a small video (dropbox, 50MB) to show a friend. Feel free to download and pause anywhere to see what I'm talking about.

Well now you've got me interested. Thanks for the writeup, shame that it didn't all work out for you. Maybe for someone like me it'd still work? On the list to grab at some point.

Maniac

Banned
Too much KH has scrambled my brain. I'm sure Nomura thinks he's crafted an elegant and thought provoking world but really it's fag packet poetry.

Since none of these miserable gits are going to do it allow me to say welcome to the dark side of GAF! I would shoot your a Steam Group invite but sadly I'm on my phone but hopefully someone will sort you out soon(ish)

Well, he managed what Kojima couldn't - Making an incredibly convoluted, obtuse story without making any real retcons. Which is amazing, even if the story isn't. :p

And the worst about KH is that you need like half a dozen different consoles to get all the story through gameplay >_>

Thanks!

I would but I can't for the life of me find you. If you add me I can add ya' to the group. ID is Maintz, name is Maniac. Avatar is BJ Blazkowicz with a baby-cap and a pacifier. :p

Well, he managed what Kojima couldn't - Making an incredibly convoluted, obtuse story without making any real retcons. Which is amazing, even if the story isn't. :p

And the worst about KH is that you need like half a dozen different consoles to get all the story through gameplay >_>

I'm pretty sure the worst thing about KH is either the story or the gameplay. Maybe a combination of both. :3

Uhhhh... that seems... I'm going to have to assume that British context makes "fag packet" into something different than it is in the US?

Asgaro

Hey SteamGAF what is your opinion on GTA V PC releasing almost year and a half after initial launch and after next-gen remaster? I am still not sure will I buy it day one. I don't want to give big money to R* and support their behavior.

I won't buy it till the first sale occurs: 25% off or more.
Sadly most people will give in a lot sooner.

Afro

This is the main reason I hated Dear Esther. Really hope Everybody's Gone To Rapture's storyline is a little more down to earth and graspable. I just can't enjoy a game if the narrative is so far out in space that I have not a single idea what's going on. I fully support the walking simulator genre, but will be disappointed if they all end up following that trend storywise.

Maniac

Banned
I'm pretty sure the worst thing about KH is either the story or the gameplay. Maybe a combination of both. :3

You're now back on my shitlist again*. And you'd just gotten off it again :(

The story is all kinds of jank though, but I really like the games anyway. Cute narrative (in the main games, anyway), really nice aesthetic and the combat, whilst simple more often than not, is really cute and neat. And fucking Disney, man. Disney. Bernardo must appreciate it :p

Just kidding, you were never off it**

Okay, okay. I don't actually have a shit list. Well, I do. It's my ignore list. It's very short. It has a few incredibly annoying people on it.
This is the main reason I hated Dear Esther. Really hope Everybody's Gone To Rapture's storyline is a little more down to earth and graspable. I just can't enjoy a game if the narrative is so far out in space that I have not a single idea what's going on. I fully support the walking simulator genre, but will be disappointed if they all end up following that trend storywise.

Damn shame we wont get to play it, huh? Only them there filthy peasants will :(

Or rather, perhaps the people that can afford a good PC and a console at the same time, unlike myself. :p

I am a law graduate, but actually german law is useless in China, so right now I am just doing a shitty job till I go back to Germany at the end of next year.

It wasnt really surprising. For the project they got a japanese-german translator and quite a lot of people that knew about the stuff animefans would want.
So instead of "Ms. Name ABC" it was "Name-san" and things like that. It was quite nice actually, but seriously.
The japanese publishers were shit. That was one of the reasons, besides the poor sales for some titles, why Tokyopop Germany stopped buying anime rights.

Actually if you work with them, you also learn quite a bit about how DVD-encoding/Bluray-encoding works. In a normal mkv/mp4 file you can add a lot of effects with the right tools. Moving Karaoke, special effects when someone does a special attack and things like that. That wasnt really that easy when you work with DVDs.
Yeah, I remember reading many guides on nifty stuff with ass and similar things when I made videos for relatives. But it's really nice that actual anime fans had input into licensed material. Wonder how the industry is currently standing though. I only ever saw physical stuff in a relatively far away big city. Guess it's all digital now.
-
It's Walt Disney's birthday
and mine
so I'm giving out presents! Just a few Humble Bundle codes I had lying around.
Happy birthday!

Very nice write-up. Thanks!
I love walking sims. Adore them. Good Lord, this looks so good. And your downside about psychobabble is a positive for me actually.
Looking forward to getting this in the future.

Yea I love these kinds of games too. I gave this one my best shot but ultimately it was just too verbose for me. A case of talking too much but saying very little.

Well now you've got me interested. Thanks for the writeup, shame that it didn't all work out for you. Maybe for someone like me it'd still work? On the list to grab at some point.

Yep, definitely consider trying it out at some point. The game world they've built is quite amazing.

MUnited83

For you.
Heck yeah man, I'd love to read it. And I could do with a few tips... I've beaten one boss, but I can't seem to really progress after killing the prick! > Game is hard.

That would require actual thinking, and I'm too damn tired to do actual thinking. Maybe another day. I do like the decreased focus and dominance of dicerolls, though. And I loved the fact that you could distract NPCs with one party member and then pickpocket them with another. Speaking of which, I really, really liked the coop implementation. It's so much fun when playing together with friends.

I expect one within the next 4-6 months. But I really don't expect one tonight.

Also please, can we have another Disney-GIF?

Slowed down? I'm pretty sure this is the fastest it's moved in weeks :p
Here ya go, a accurate depiction of Ozium vs Shadownet argument.

giphy.gif

The story is all kinds of jank though, but I really like the games anyway. Cute narrative (in the main games, anyway), really nice aesthetic and the combat, whilst simple more often than not, is really cute and neat. And fucking Disney, man. Disney. Bernardo must appreciate it :p

/QUOTE]
Disney <3. Kingdom Hearts is all kinds of kickass.

Top Bottom