• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
So, ruble is stable today? Read that Russian Central Bank had to dramatically increase interest rates to keep it from falling.
12% fall in a day... Goddamn, wars were started for lesser reasons. :
Many countries want their political posturing to change. Oil prices and sanctions are working a number.

tmarg

Yeah, I think for as abstract as gem is, it is at leas not tied to a certain title like keys so it could be more stable. I can only imagine what will happened with TF2 keys if TF3 released.

I'm not convinced Valve actually want a stable currency item.

piwHWBR.png

Whatchu know about winnin'?
Come on DillonMabry, SteamGAF bros don't snipe SteamGAF bros :|

Edit: Isn't ViviOggi a SteamGAFfer too hehe

Oh well, next one is MINE

Faabulous

Won a couple of games on the auction, now I'm stuck with about 3500 gems that I can't do jack shit with. Do I sell? Do I wait? Hate feeling like this.

baterism

Someone try to snipe me in last minute, fuck that guy, I increased another hundreds.

8k gems for Bitmap2Material3, not bad, not bad at all.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
I'm not sure they want "currency" items at all. They want you buying things for real currency.
500 ms points are $5, then in country X 500 is $3.85, people will try to always use currency exchanges as an exploit. When you can control that exploit to the advantage of multiple currency speculations, then an arbitrary system like the auction or gem might provide that.

Going off of limited econ and finance education.
Please correct if I am wrong.

Arthea

I won a game on my wishlist, yay !

I have 120 gems left, what will happen to them once this is over? will I just loose them?

gems won't disappear after this event or sale, as scraping items and crafting boosters (I've read the faq, yeah (><).
They probably even will be used in the same way at other times, or not.

edited:
muncher alert!

L.O.R.D

i thought i have 8 sacks of gems
now i found i have 11 sacks ? maybe because i made some trades ? only made 3-4 trades

1 sack of gems = $1.3 , should i wait ?

Sini

I won Substance Indie pack. I actually was only interested in Painter and I realized how foolish was to bid on Indie pack only when I already placed the bid. No one managed to snipe it from me either. Oh well.

Does anyone here aim for Indie pack as well?

gems won't disappear after this event or sale, as scraping items and crafting boosters (I've read the faq, yeah (><).

You know I don't read anything :\
I'm more of a pictures person :p

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't get this gem thing at all. The cards I got say they give 20 gems or so, but every auction costs at least a few thousands of them. I'd be way better off selling them for a bunch of cents that will help during the Summer Sale instead.

Jawmuncher

edited:
muncher alert!

The hell is going on here.
Skate boards, cavemen, and Dino's?
This is either the best it worst thing I have ever seen.

derExperte

I don't get this gem thing at all. The cards I got say they give 20 gems or so, but every auction costs at least a few thousands of them. I'd be way better off selling them for a bunch of cents that will help during the Summer Sale instead.

You basically lost the gem-game when you didn't grab cheap items that give you 80-100 gems as soon as this whole thing started.

tmarg

You basically lost the gem-game when you didn't grab cheap items that give you 80-100 gems as soon as this whole thing started.

As auction prices are dropping, there seem to be decent values to be had even if you have to buy gems at current market prices. Not the stuff that is in high demand, obviously, but older niche titles.

Arthea

The hell is going on here.
Skate boards, cavemen, and Dino's?
This is either the best it worst thing I have ever seen.

I thought it looks somewhat fun at least, now is it funny? only time will show.
I actually like a term prehistoric gameplay (><)
totally gonna borrow it, for future use

edited: also forgot to mention, that underwater and winter levels are always a plus !

Tizoc

So apparently my friend's sharp hdtv outputs my laptop on his tv at 50 hz.
Anyone got tips how to have it output at 60 hz?

MUnited83

For you.
How the hell did Valve make all of you excited for overpaying for games?
I mean, most of the stuff that's not costing more than store price is just bundle fodder, and even if you want to buy it normally, it still will be cheaper come Thursday than the gem prices...

No it won't :)

My final auction haul(unless there's some severe drops in price on some stuff):

IYxPqVl.png

Around 41000 gems spent, which were bought at the average price of 0.35&#8364; for each 1k

So that's 14,35&#8364; euros for everything.Subnautica is a 35$ game that is not even for sale yet, Pro Cycling Manager 2014 has a lowest recorded price of 9,99&#8364; and Railway has a 33&#8364; lowest recorded price.

I said it already and I say it again. This auction is fucking amazing.

Oh, and those 14,35&#8364;? Those are remains of selling cards and booster packs made when the gem sacks were super ultra cheap. I didn't pay a single real cent on my end.

I can guarantee you 14,35&#8364; is not even close to what I would need to get those games on sale. There's some great deals that are way cheaper than the lowest recorded price. Pro Cycling Manager itselft cost me 1,4&#8364;! That's a game with lowest recorded price of 9,99&#8364;.

There's some insane deals if you look for them.

Arthea

No it won't :)

I can guarantee you 14,35&#8364; is not even close to what I would need to get those games on sale. There's some great deals that are way cheaper than the lowest recorded price. Pro Cycling Manager itselft cost me 1,4&#8364;! That's a game with lowest recorded price of 9,99&#8364;.

There's some insane deals if you look for them.

The real question there why would you want Cycling Manager, for any price?
sorry I had to (><)

edited:
I'm being outbid by 16 gems?! That's new low!
I can't do the thing about it, tho, only watch in disbelieve
at work now

edit2: by 20 gems on another game
It's hilarious

Jawmuncher

My memory may be fuzzy, but didn't Adventure Island for NES have those things too?

Damn thats a long time ago.

It did. Along with some other stuff.
Those were fun games.

I thought it looks somewhat fun at least, now is it funny? only time will show.
I actually like a term prehistoric gameplay (><)
totally gonna borrow it, for future use

edited: also forgot to mention, that underwater and winter levels are always a plus !

Dino's gonna be freezing to death lol

derExperte

I can guarantee you 14,35&#8364; is not even close to what I would need to get those games on sale.

You mean 41&#8364; which is what you would've gotten for selling the gems. Of course it looks like you still got some good deals since you were interested in more obscure games without big sales.

Sorry, I don't know if you linked that in a rude way or a genuine way to show me what you meant.. My English also refuses to make me understand much of that article. :(

You're just talking about a general value, right?

Not meant to be rude at all and you can switch to another language. It's just that it's too easy to say 'I only paid x for the gems', you have to also factor in the money you're not getting by not selling those gems for the now higher price. It's a rather simple economic concept that still gets ignored very often. Of course there can be other, non-monetary factors which you can't put a value on like instant gratification, in this case for winning an auction, I won't pretend I'm acting rational myself all (or even most of) the time.

MUnited83

For you.
You mean 41€ which is what you would've gotten for selling the gems. Of course it looks like you still got some good deals since you were interested in more obscure games without big sales.

What I would've gotten for selling would be around 37€ because of the fees. Which is still below what all those would cost me at the lowest recorded price.

Knurek

What I would've gotten for selling would be around 37€ because of the fees. Which is still below what all those would cost me at the lowest recorded price.

But it's still more than 40 $1 tier Humble Bundles, right? And let's face it, sooner or later all of these will be featured there (and you still won't play them).

Arthea

But it's still more than 40 $1 tier Humble Bundles, right? And let's face it, sooner or later all of these will be featured there (and you still won't play them).

I don't subscribe to this logic, if I want a game and bought it full price and liked it to bits, I couldn't care less will it get bundled or not, it only concerns games that I'm not sure I want, not sure I like, or bought two years ago and still haven't played (happens all the time (><)
If Bernardo really wants those games, what difference does it make that they will be cheaper in the distant future?

MUnited83

For you.

Can't use Steam Wallet on Humble Bundles. And no, I don't think most of those will show up on Humble Bundles any time soon :p. I also wanted every one of those anyways.

baterism

Ah okay. But most of the time I see/read people buying gems to bid for a game and the gems costs more than the actual game price. There is no logic there.

Yes. Basically. We have talked about that since the beginning of auction. People blow hundreds euros for special profile.

But if you want softwares, this is the best time to get. Take Substance painter for example, currently it around $30, actual price is around $100 (in my place). Software is pretty rare getting sale.

note: won stuffs are not tradable. I don't know if it giftable.

Jawmuncher

I don't know why were even giving a shit about how many gems someone used. Not like we're sharing from some gaf collective gem pool.

Top Bottom