• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Arthea

oh! it's seems I just autowon another game. This one at much more reasonable price than the first one too.
Valve sends e-mails about the win, actually. That's nice of them

it was See No Evil.
thanks Mat for pointing it to me

tmarg

Anyone have tips for this bed of chaos boss? Not only did I just make it to the boss, I also had put the game down for numerous months so I've probably forgotten all my acquired skills.

Unlike all the other bosses in the game, I believe your progress saves between deaths on that boss, so you can just zerg it if you really need to.

Nzyme32

Well, I played it two times on PS3 (vanilla), then I bought the boxed PC version because it came with an artbook, ost and behind the scenes, plus Arthorias DLC, and I played something like 4 or 5 times on PC. I really don't want to do all over again to gain some achievements :D

I only miss the ugliest ones, like "Find all weapons", "Find all miracles"....I couldn't stomach the game anymore.
Yeah, those kind of achievements almost demand that you lose all the fun and joy of the game. I'd rather get that kind of achievement years later, while playing the game without that specific goal in mind

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
2014-12-16_14-21-38.jpg

derExperte

Are the Enhanced Steam servers having trouble? When on my badge page the values of the remaining card drops don't show up.

That would be an extremely radical move and piss of all of Russia. A round of price increases is much more likely. Would still piss off many of course.

MUnited83

For you.
Are the Enhanced Steam servers having trouble? When on my badge page the values of the remaining card drops don't show up.

That would be an extremely radical move and piss of all of Russia. A round of price increases is much more likely. Would still piss off many of course.

It how much rouble is crashing it wouldn't surprise me much.

Xanathus

Anyone have tips for this bed of chaos boss? Not only did I just make it to the boss, I also had put the game down for numerous months so I've probably forgotten all my acquired skills.

You don't actually have to melee the things on the side (or at least the left side from where you face), you can just break up the cover thingies and kill it with arrows.

Arthea

There is one thing I would like to know, but I guess we'll never know. Valve thanked all devs for donating games. Does it mean that all profit from selling-buying gems that are used in auction goes for Valve and nothing for devs?

Seems to have fallen to 72 now...

no doom and gloom post, I was bracing myself for?
really, that's bad for millions of people, very bad, scary thought that people will get angry, and we all know that it never ends well for anybody

tmarg

There is one thing I would like to know, but I guess we'll never know. Valve thanked all devs for donating games. Does it mean that all profit from selling-buying gems that are used in auction goes for Valve and nothing for devs?

I have to imagine they got something out of it. I doubt either the devs or Valve are going to make the details public though.

derExperte

ES servers must be dead, not getting the regional prices on the store pages either.

It how much rouble is crashing it wouldn't surprise me much.

Well I hope they wait until after the sale so I can still get a few things. Maybe they'll even make an announcement á la "LAST CHANCE, RUBLE IS DEAD".

wetflame

Pizza Dog
So I managed to snag a copy of Toy Story 3 for £1.80ish through the auction. Not bad considering I wanted to try out that toybox mode (and it's £20 in the store). Got a shiny badge to remind me of how foolish I was too. Now I can ignore the auction until the sale ends!

Knurek

no doom and gloom post, I was bracing myself for?
really, that's bad for millions of people, very bad, scary thought that people will get angry, and we all know that it never ends well for anybody

I had one earlier today, don't really want to repeat myself. Too scared for that.
(In any case, it's a good thing I live close to German border)

Chariot

The russian people will take steam gems as new currency since its obviously more stable than anything else russia has right now.

Nzyme32

No. I think the idea is stability. They can charge a lower price in USD but by using USD you can avoid massive fluctuations. The bigger issues is the possible difficulty for Russian users to easily make payments in usd, and minimising any costs incurred in their part

Arthea

Parking in ETS2 is too hard.
I have no clue what I'm doing when I'm backing >.<

yeah, parking is a killer in ETS2, I really hope it's not that hard to park a truck in real life, because it it is, how people even get any work done, when you need 20 minutes to park! (><)

lashman

Steam-GAF's Official Ambassador to Gaming-GAF
I have to imagine they got something out of it. I doubt either the devs or Valve are going to make the details public though.

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of the devs tweet that it's "for the exposure" ... nothing more than that ... so yeah - the only winner in all that auction bullshit is volvo and volvo alone

Zafir

No. I think the idea is stability. They can charge a lower price in USD but by using USD you can avoid massive fluctuations. The bigger issues is the possible difficulty for Russian users to easily make payments in usd, and minimising any costs incurred in their part

Yeah. I'd imagine the reason they'd be doing this is for stability. The ruble is clearly not stable right now, so it's not really good for them to accept it.

baterism

I'm not sure about 2e specifically, and I'm not buying more gems at the current price point since the margins aren't going to be great anymore. But there's no way for gems not to gain some further value. There's 140 thousand games that are guaranteed to be handed out in exchange for gems over the next two days, and no lower limit for how cheap you can get something if no one else has gems left to bid. And there's no way gem production ramps up significantly at this point, or in a way that would anywhere near compensate the drain from auction. The supply of gems already for sale on the market (at any price) only matches maybe 2 auction round or 1.5h drain total - it's quite thin when you think about it.

Rough figure, currently there are 20,477 gem shack which means 20,477,000 gems which should be produced by liquidating 255,962 bgs and emoties. 2 days auction might absord around, lets say, 4 mil. Another 50,000 bgs and emoties. It's hard to believe that combined bgs and emoties in the wild are not exceeding a million if not millions.
However, it seems the market isn't swamped by bgs and emoties for now.
I suspect some people are hoarding them.

The number of gems on the market is steadily increasing, could go down later today but I'll be selling a bunch if they go slightly above 1€ again.

I'll see how thing go for several days more. If things go sour, I'll just use it to bid Substance Painter.

Arthea

I'm pretty sure I've seen at least one of the devs tweet that it's "for the exposure" ... nothing more than that ... so yeah - the only winner in all that auction bullshit is volvo and volvo alone

If that's the case, it actually takes big part of enjoyment from this event for me... It seems that buying a game on sale is like 100% better option.
I wish we knew for sure.

fantomena

And apparently everyone has gone shopping to grab as much as possible before it gets worse.

Just edited my previous post.

Here is the edit:

http://www.dagbladet.no/2014/12/15/nyheter/russland/utenriks/politikk/ukraina/36750635/

Russians escaping ruble
The first stores are introducing a " pseudo- dollar " as means of payment, while the ruble yesterday fell by record 8.5 percent .

The Russian central bank limited today currency trading after the ruble for the first time in many years acted 1 against 63 in relation to the US dollar.

The exchange rate against the dollar stopped stopped yesterday at 63.1 , which means they will have to pay 8.5 percent more for a dollar than on Friday.

Lost 60 percent
This means that the Russian currency has lost more than 60 percent of its value against the US dollar during 2014 , things were during the last months. This means that the Western sanctions because of the Russian role in Ukraine and the Russian against sanctions against the West, has hit the Russian economy much more than most had anticipated.

Low oil prices weakening ruble in the heavily oil-dependent Russian economy . Expectations of further sanctions , the US Congress has enacted , also contributed to the decline .

Scripture is now written on the wall for Russian consumers. All imported goods are now dramatically more expensive, and with the ruble in something resembling freefall , it happens at record speed .

Nzyme32

Yeah. I'd imagine the reason they'd be doing this is for stability. The ruble is clearly not stable right now, so it's not really good for them to accept it.

Bear in mind, its the devs and publishers that are going to be wanting such a change too. The worst outcome is for Valve to do nothing and gradually see devs and pubs pull their games from Russian sale, destroying much of the work valve have done for improving that market

Zafir

Bear in mind, its the devs and publishers that are going to be wanting such a change too. The worst outcome is for Valve to do nothing and gradually see devs and pubs pull their games from Russian sale, destroying much of the work valve have done for improving that market
Yeah, I mean the ruble price tanking is money lost for both publishers and Valve. I'd wager the ruble price(valued as it was a few months back) is the lowest publishers would want to sell their game.

Top Bottom