• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Arthea

Yes. Basically. We have talked about that since the beginning of auction. People blow hundreds euros for special profile.

But if you want softwares, this is the best time to get. Take Substance painter for example, currently it around $30, actual price is around $100 (in my place). Software is pretty rare getting sale.

note: won stuffs are not tradable. I don't know if it giftable.
really?
I didn't expect that! probably still giftable, but I'm glad prices prevented me from going after gifts right now.

Ayumi

Not meant to be rude at all and you can switch to another language. It's just that it's too easy to say 'I only paid x for the gems', you have to also factor in the money you're not getting by not selling those gems for the now higher price. It's a rather simple economic concept that still gets ignored very often. Of course there can be other, non-monetary factors which you can't put a value on like instant gratification, in this case for winning an auction, I won't pretend I'm acting rational myself all (or even most of) the time.

Ok, sorry, I understand now. Thank you for explaining!

I already understand that this Steam e-peen thing requires a lot of money, especially if you want to be all the way on the top. So I kind of opted-out and do my own thing without feeling pressured to gain XP to level up my profile.

Nordicus

Aaand boom, Proxy Blade Zero get

UQZTYXS.jpg

Best sale price: 3,49€
Worth of used gems (1200) now: 1,25€
Worth of used gems originally: 0,45€

Winning a bet against a friend who kept telling me I could not get a bargain on auction: Priceless

Knurek

I don't subscribe to this logic, if I want a game and bought it full price and liked it to bits, I couldn't care less will it get bundled or not, it only concerns games that I'm not sure I want, not sure I like, or bought two years ago and still haven't played (happens all the time (><)
If Bernardo really wants those games, what difference does it make that they will be cheaper in the distant future?

But this is SteamGAF, it's well documented that we don't play our games.
Makes no sense to overpay on something you will only use for +1, doesn't it?

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
You basically lost the gem-game when you didn't grab cheap items that give you 80-100 gems as soon as this whole thing started.
But are games really cheaper when bought that way, compared to using Wallet funds acquired from selling cards? Everything really does cost too many gems.

Ayumi

The Holiday Profile prices are decreasing very fast it seems. I wonder how little the last 10 profiles will go for. Maybe mortal people can afford the last ones!

MUnited83

For you.
But are games really cheaper when bought that way, compared to using Wallet funds acquired from selling cards? Everything really does cost too many gems.

See my post on the previous page. If you managed to get a crapload of gems when the backgrounds were cheap there's many deals to be had. My haul would be more expensive on the summer sale even if I did sell the gems instead.

Arthea

The Holiday Profile prices are decreasing very fast it seems. I wonder how little the last 10 profiles will go for. Maybe mortal people can afford the last ones!

I'm fairly sure there are at least 100 immortals at any given time on steam

Chariot

I had a gem-mix of 0,44 and 0,72 and paid about 3-4 euro for Cinders and the same for World End Economica, which both cost about 15 Euro and were never that cheap.

fantomena

Somebone hit me up on Steam. I have 22 gems for you. Turned a card into gems just too see how this is, but it's not worth it, so somebody, take my gems.

Edit: Taken like the movie.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
See my post on the previous page. If you managed to get a crapload of gems when the backgrounds were cheap there's many deals to be had. My haul would be more expensive on the summer sale even if I did sell the gems instead.
Oh, I see. So you gotta find the right auction, and bid there. Then you can get some pretty solid deals. Guess it's too late for someone who didn't grab the cheap gems before :(

Arthea

I kinda wish I haven't crafted boosters...
If you got gems regular way, by scraping, their value were 0.50 euros for 1000. If I kept those and waited till now, when prices did drop because gems prices increased two times, I could have got some games on my wishlist fairly cheap, not bundle cheap, no, but reasonably cheap. But I did mistake of crafting bunch of boosters and buying gems don't make any price of any game I want (which all seems to be popular for some reason I can't fathom) good.

Does it make any sense?

edited: forgot most important thing, it's probably better to bet on lowest bets having games if just for a badge.

Water

Buying cheap backgrounds isn't the only way to profit. I bought gems for speculation at 0.54e/sack. They have appreciated almost +100% already, so if I cashed out now I'd see a nice profit, but I see no reason to even think about selling yet.

Gems are inevitably becoming more valuable as auctions clear more gems out of the market and you can get later auctions cheaper in terms of gems. We are barely 1/4 into the auction, I think there's time for the gems to reach 2e/sack or close. No idea why more people haven't figured this out.

Dr Dogg

Looking at my activity feed all I see is lots of people 'unlocking' a shit load of Dark Souls achievements (well that and Ozium still banging on about that Dragon game). Like an amount too quickly to be earned all at once. When I finally get round to knocking out the last of the GFWL Achievements I'm going to start up a fresh save and get all the Steam ones fair and square from actually playing the game.

Zafir

That's a bit rubbish. Only just noticed that they're making keys untradable for 7 days after purchase from tf2 or the market.

They're really trying to hammer down on the key trading market aren't they.

MUnited83

For you.
Looking at my activity feed all I see is lots of people 'unlocking' a shit load of Dark Souls achievements (well that and Ozium still banging on about that Dragon game). Like an amount too quickly to be earned all at once. When I finally get round to knocking out the last of the GFWL Achievements I'm going to start up a fresh save and get all the Steam ones fair and square from actually playing the game.

? People earned them from playing the game fair and square. Those are just previous GFWL achievements getting converted to Steam Achievements...

baterism

Buying cheap backgrounds isn't the only way to profit. I bought gems for speculation at 0.54e/sack. They have appreciated almost +100% already, so if I cashed out now I'd see a nice profit, but I see no reason to even think about selling yet.

Gems are inevitably becoming more valuable as auctions clear more gems out of the market and you can get later auctions cheaper in terms of gems. We are barely 1/4 into the auction, I think there's time for the gems to reach 2e/sack or close. No idea why more people haven't figured this out.

Selling at 0.54e/sack is one of my regret too. But, I'm not sure about 2e/sack. Even at current price, 1e/sack might be too speculative for some people's taste.

Dr Dogg

?

I unlocked them by playing something like 120 hours, and following the process From posted I unlocked them on Steam. Why this is not fair?

? People earned them from playing the game fair and square. Those are just previous GFWL achievements getting converted to Steam Achievements...

Hahahaha oh come off it you know what I mean. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when given the opportunity to go through one of the best games of the past couple of years all over again and get another set of chievos. Sure it's nice that Namco are letting folks transfer them over (unlike other GFWL transferees) but that takes away all the fun for me.

autoduelist

Soft censorship is like soft murder: it doesn't exist. It either is or it's mental gymnastics based on faulty logic.

You're so locked into a specific (and extremely strict to the point of being incorrect) definition of a word that you fail to remember that language is fluid enough to allow a word more than one meaning in common usage (not to mention, the term itself isn't as strict as you make it even without common usage mutation). Besides, if self-censorship exists, which it does, then obviously the factors that play a role in self-censorship need to be taken into account. And that's not even getting into soft censorship. You're simply deleting a textbook term from the language because you don't agree with it due to your particularly strict definition of another term, which in practice doesn't serve language or debate since others will rightly use that term. You aren't judge, jury, and executioner on words and terms you don't agree with, rather you need to realize common usage (especially of established, text book terms) trumps you even if you think you're right.

Anustart

Anyone have tips for this bed of chaos boss? Not only did I just make it to the boss, I also had put the game down for numerous months so I've probably forgotten all my acquired skills.

Water

Selling at 0.54e/sack is one of my regret too. But, I'm not sure about 2e/sack. Even at current price, 1e/sack might be too speculative for some people's taste.

I'm not sure about 2e specifically, and I'm not buying more gems at the current price point since the margins aren't going to be great anymore. But there's no way for gems not to gain some further value. There's 140 thousand games that are guaranteed to be handed out in exchange for gems over the next two days, and no lower limit for how cheap you can get something if no one else has gems left to bid. And there's no way gem production ramps up significantly at this point, or in a way that would anywhere near compensate the drain from auction. The supply of gems already for sale on the market (at any price) only matches maybe 2 auction round or 1.5h drain total - it's quite thin when you think about it.

Nzyme32

Hahahaha oh come off it you know what I mean. I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth when given the opportunity to go through one of the best games of the past couple of years all over again and get another set of chievos. Sure it's nice that Namco are letting folks transfer them over (unlike other GFWL transferees) but that takes away all the fun for me.

Lol! I'm with you man. I gave up on the game originally due to it's gfwl quirks, then heard of the conversion to steamworks and decided I would just start all over again. So far it's going great!

derExperte

The number of gems on the market is steadily increasing, could go down later today but I'll be selling a bunch if they go slightly above 1&#8364; again.

Top Bottom