• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Journey of the King keys added to Groupees Sometimes Tuesday Journey of Them bundle

Spyware

Won The Blackwell Epiphany for what's basically 75% off on the auction, using the few gems I made from all my old stuff from my inventory. Also made about 8€ so far by selling stuff (especially winter cards). That's 8€ in profit even tho I used some cents to complete badges. I'm not one to "min-max" events like these, so I'm extremely happy with these results.

Jørdan

Shit, now I have to buy more gems or risk being stuck with a bunch of gems I don't want. :/

hqdefault.jpg

Dr Dogg

Success!!!

Right so if you want to do the Steam achievements separately and still want GFWL achievements for Dark Souls and have a playthrough in progress do not start the game whilst Steam in in online mode regardless if you have not entered into the beta. You can relock them but just to save you the hassle have Steam set to offline (GFWL will obviously still be able to connect online) and none of your GFWL achievements will pop.

Stallion did write a more concise method earlier in the thread about the best way to go once you've finished with GFWL.

Ever since the reset I haven't bought any gems and haven't participated in any auctions. I'd rather just wait for the sale. Am I doing it wrong?

A little bit. By the end of this I should be up about $20 + have a ton of new badges crafted + have a couple new games from auctions.

Note: this is me not spending a ton of time on it. This is just accruing gems via cheap backgrounds and stuff, and trashing garbage from my inventory.

Ruruja

Success!!!

Right so if you want to do the Steam achievements separately and still want GFWL achievements for Dark Souls and have a playthrough in progress do not start the game whilst Steam in in online mode regardless if you have not entered into the beta. You can relock them but just to save you the hassle have Steam set to offline (GFWL will obviously still be able to connect online) and none of your GFWL achievements will pop.

Stallion did write a more concise method earlier in the thread about the best way to go once you've finished with GFWL.

All I did was launch straight into the beta.

Knurek

Well I've just SAMed them out of existence so fingers crossed when I achieve them again that the Timestamps update to the date and time I actually unlock them.
Yes I'm using an evil program to undo achievements, ain't that novel!

This is actually a very good cause for using SAM (provided you care for achievs) - Volvo should add an option for clearing them, especially for people who tend to invite friends over to show a game. :)

Phawx

Anyone bought Satellite Reign? Looks great but also in a super early stage.

I have an LP up on my channel. It's a bit buggy and requires a decent comp to run well at max.

Outside of that, the multiple paths of victory and the AI reacting realistically make me really like it.

fantomena

Woah. Just saw on TV, Russians are storming to the banks to get rid of their rubbles.

If the rubble get's switched to another currency for Russia (which I guess it will), it won't be many days until it happens.

Dr Dogg

All I did was launch straight into the beta.

Yes but I'm one of those types that likes achievements so given the chance to go through Dark Souls and earn them all again fresh was great motivation to play through it again 5120x2160 style!

This is actually a very good cause for using SAM (provided you care for achievs) - Volvo should add an option for clearing them, especially for people who tend to invite friends over to show a game. :)

I did it for Sleeping Dogs but it messed up my icons so have been hesitant to do it again but worked fine this time. Really that's the only 2 times I've used SAM but yeah I wish Valve would implement a reset feature as with stuff being account bound it's not like on PS360 where you'd just start a new offline profile to get them fresh. It's not like they have any quantifiable value and resetting them sure isn't going to net you any Playfire Credit.

denx

So I played a bit of Distance. Holy crap I wasn't expecting it to be as tough as it is, the tracks are much harder than the ones from Nitronic Rush, and the game has some tricky mechanics that had me redoing the same sections of a track over and over (trying to do 180° flips to land on upside-down tracks is kind a bitch, and for the life of me I can't handle the car on zero-g sections).

Getting good times depends on the player learning the trap-filled tracks and mastering the car's mechanics and handling. So it is very much a trial and error game, at least at first.

If you're up for something different and don't mind a racing game that will kick your ass over and over, Distance is the thing for you. I still suggest you try Nitronic Rush first if you haven't already to get an idea of what Distance is. NR is free and was made by a lot of the same team that is developing Distance when they were in college.

Some other notes:
- The game is player vs track, not player vs player. The idea is to survive the tracks, not to directly compete with other people. The game does have leaderboards though, so you can still compete (sorta) with other people by trying to beat their times.
- Performance leaves a lot to be desired. Sure, my PC is far from being top of the line, but I don't think I should get near-30fps drops at times either. Hopefully performance will be improved as the game comes near to full release.
- I can't say much about the soundtrack since I barely payed attention to the music, was too focused on the game kicking my ass.

Ruruja

Yes but I'm one of those types that likes achievements so given the chance to go through Dark Souls and earn them all again fresh was great motivation to play through it again 5120x2160 style!

Yeah I mean I didn't get my GFWL achievements (admittedly only 2), it just went into a new game. Then again I didn't get any GFWL popup at all so maybe I disabled it a while ago and I've completely forgotten.

Well I've just SAMed them out of existence so fingers crossed when I achieve them again that the Timestamps update to the date and time I actually unlock them.

Yes I'm using an evil program to undo achievements, ain't that novel!

There is nothing EVIL about SAM.

Evil is introduced by assholes without morals who use it to scam free money out of greenmangaming and other similar endeavors.

SAM is part of the reason I *was* okay with the move to PC gaming... it saved me a ton of time because of my OCD... I was contemplating trying to go back and 100% games I'd already done once or twice... and then I found SAM and after discussing the prospect of "syncing" achievements I'd already earned legitimately on other platforms to Steam, decided to do so for everything. This way if I want to play something like Resident Evil 6, I'm not hyper-focused on getting the achievements for the 2nd or 3rd times and can instead just enjoy the game.

Again, nothing wrong with SAM itself. The wrongdoing comes from how people use it. Great power and responsibility and all that jazz.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of The_Super_Inframan, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 28 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Larva Mortus -- MB-91D22C77407CE7E1 - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Space Hack -- MB-EA26B74D5894BEC6 - Taken by HBP. 2 entrants total.
Nuclear Dawn -- MB-953D954B8CB50190 - Taken by famfrit. 7 entrants total.
The Lost Crown -- MB-F15722C9634FF89B - Taken by nja. 8 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
THE WITCHER 2 (GOG) -- MB-BE72D3EE41A0F9E3 - Taken by Jrdan. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
StarDrive -- MB-D183A520B15B1890 - Taken by fenners. 9 entrants total.
Yury -- MB-CDF0EFF94FAE2BB8 - Taken by derExperte. 2 entrants total.
KNIGHTSHIFT -- MB-F986768A7A343C14 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Guns n Zombies -- MB-6764BF74B70BF68B - Taken by bluechox2. 2 entrants total.
House of 1,000 Doors Family Secrets -- MB-F852AE8A9641A14B
Dawn of Fantasy Kingdom Wars -- MB-D099A36B1BDD9077
Ionball 2 Ionstorm -- MB-0C3853AA973EE9AD - Taken by Conrad Link. 4 entrants total.
Time Mysteries The Final Enigma -- MB-781D47736CCF5164 - Taken by alr1ght. 5 entrants total.
Shadows Price For Our Sins -- MB-400EBBE4B1E53E9B - Taken by skullmuffins. 5 entrants total.
The Culling of the Cows -- MB-2C213F894DA8EAEA - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Metal Planet -- MB-A922D9C70716AC8C - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Potatoman seeks the Troof -- MB-E983A4FECFC4C472 - Taken by Newblade. 2 entrants total.
Platypus -- MB-1595B182781F16C8 - Taken by rrvv. 6 entrants total.
Steel & Steam -- MB-E25264BCC843ACED - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 3 entrants total.
Hyper Fighters -- MB-420345D01B70028D - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
ELVEN LEGACY -- MB-43FAE755A4CF069B - Taken by TheTrain. 2 entrants total.
Reversion The Meeting (2nd Chapter) -- MB-3CDD8471E6FEAD7F - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-B94B0991BD889A9D - Taken by Anustart. 1 entrants total.
Blades of Time -- MB-32FCD3674D25C9BC - Taken by gaiadyne. 5 entrants total.
SWEET LILY DREAMS -- MB-9C9F032281EB9CC4 - Taken by data. 1 entrants total.
Star Ruler -- MB-A5770B8DFE19FF62 - Taken by Drakhyrr. 2 entrants total.
Doorways Chapters 1 & 2 -- MB-1E782235A9038C5F
Ichi -- MB-C1BF8F4437151C6C - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Left in the Dark No One on Board -- MB-EFFB82FA5F50A4C4 - Taken by skullmuffins. 5 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: The key you added for Larva Mortus was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Space Hack was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for THE WITCHER 2 (GOG) was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for KNIGHTSHIFT was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for House of 1,000 Doors Family Secrets was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Dawn of Fantasy Kingdom Wars was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ionball 2 Ionstorm was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Shadows Price For Our Sins was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for The Culling of the Cows was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Metal Planet was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Platypus was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Steel & Steam was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Hyper Fighters was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for ELVEN LEGACY was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ballpoint Universe was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for SWEET LILY DREAMS was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Doorways Chapters 1 & 2 was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.
Note: The key you added for Ichi was already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1418773826z1.png

Some of us did. And yep, the game is extremely lacking on content right now, but that was expected being a pre-alpha. Visually is fucking great and the core gameplay looks promising, so we'll see how it evolves.

I have an LP up on my channel. It's a bit buggy and requires a decent comp to run well at max.

Outside of that, the multiple paths of victory and the AI reacting realistically make me really like it.

Thanks guys, I'm going to watch some videos but probably end up buying it. Nostalgia makes me so weak.

Coldsun

Banned
Gotta admit, I really liked the auction system for this Christmas sale. Got to clean out my inventory of emotes and backgrounds that I wouldn't use (keeping the ones I would) and was able to pick up 8 games off my wishlist in auctions.

Quite pleased indeed.

For a moment I thought I could game the system, crafting 5 CS:GO badges for 5*0.35€ and getting a sack of gems + 5 christmas cards @ 0.20€ each. Considering a 0.98€ sack price, I'd have gotten a couple of cents of profit. Sweet!

... I didn't know you could only craft a badge up to lvl 5. I thought you could do this as many times as you wanted to. Thank Gaben I did a test try and didn't start buying more thn 5 sets, phew!

that isn't happening either, as you both closed the gap I had on you and are far ahead now
I'm just old and slow (><)

still as rude, I see?
I forgot to add I'm frail too!

Well, Rhak is behind me, last I knew... and I have pretty much everything I want and am looking at slowing down radically, if not [almost] completely... I have faith in you, Suikoder. :p

So Fotonica is a really fun "endless runner" with a very unique vector-art style (think Tempest). It's unfortunate that's there's not much there (a handful of normal levels and 3 endless levels), but it's really well done for what it is. I also really dig the VS splitscreen mode, it's very tense. Great music too.

So yeah, maybe not a full-pricer, but a great filler game if it goes cheap (got mine via the auction).

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Can someone tell me why the Download Throttling option is still a completely broken mess? I managed to make it do *something* which was make downloads go at a whooping 0 kB/s

Edit: Nevermind, I am a complete idiot who mistook the MB's in the throttle list as megabits. All is well now.

Dr Dogg

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo!!! WideScreen Fixer doesn't work with the new version of Dark Souls. Works fine with the GFWL Steam version so fingers crossed helifax is aware and cares enough to update the plug in.

Yeah I mean I didn't get my GFWL achievements (admittedly only 2), it just went into a new game. Then again I didn't get any GFWL popup at all so maybe I disabled it a while ago and I've completely forgotten.

Ah right. I think loading up my save triggered it and then it went nuts. Still back in business.

There is nothing EVIL about SAM.

Evil is introduced by assholes without morals who use it to scam free money out of greenmangaming and other similar endeavors.

SAM is part of the reason I *was* okay with the move to PC gaming... it saved me a ton of time because of my OCD... I was contemplating trying to go back and 100% games I'd already done once or twice... and then I found SAM and after discussing the prospect of "syncing" achievements I'd already earned legitimately on other platforms to Steam, decided to do so for everything. This way if I want to play something like Resident Evil 6, I'm not hyper-focused on getting the achievements for the 2nd or 3rd times and can instead just enjoy the game.

Again, nothing wrong with SAM itself. The wrongdoing comes from how people use it. Great power and responsibility and all that jazz.

You're always so bloody serious frosty. Try not to take anything I say as righteous judgement and just having a subtle laugh at some of the fits peeps have had in here when SAM has been brought up.

Top Bottom