• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

I know the guy personally and he won't just make the hype out of his thoughts. He left Daedalic some time ago but he has strong connections with a lot of russian developers and he's the right guy to ask about this thing. Tho he's not the only one. Sergey Galyonkin is saying the same thing (he is in Wargaming now iirc), his last tweet says "RU Steam will have dollar currency and the local prices (like Ukraine has). There is a chance that prices will even stay in roubles but backed by exchange rate."

There's no reason to not believe these guys. They are not the first to mention this change and sure won't be the last.

So if they are right RU Steam will not be special anymore, just the regular CIS country.
:(
i know someone from ukraine who helped me in the past with steam. from that i know that the prices there can be a lot higher than russia.

KiDdYoNe

Sure, but like I said, that wouldn't result in Russia being hit with USD$60 for "AAA" games.
Yep, just saw your reply.

You have a good thoughts and the right ones. I'd love to see statistics for the retail games after the change.

i know someone from ukraine who helped me in the past with steam. from that i know that the prices there can be a lot higher than russia.

But still cheaper than US/UK/etc.

KiDdYoNe

? why woudnt they accept them? that makes zero sense

Everyone is panicking.

Me and my gf just was on the streets and saw big lines to the banks for the currency exchange. We wanted some Euros since we are planning go to Germany (btw who can give us a bed? xD) in February and she wanted to get some currency just in case. No one was selling it. Not a single bank.

I am shocked myself. It's a really fucked up situation for Russia. Me myself... well i'm just watching for now.

So everyone are panicking right now. About currency, about keys, about every damn thing.

zkylon

zkylewd
Everyone is panicking.

Me and my gf just was on the streets and saw big lines to the banks for the currency exchange. We wanted some Euros since we are planning go to Germany (btw who can give us a bed? xD) in February and she wanted to get some currency just in case. No one was selling it. Not a single bank.

I am shocked myself. It's a really fucked up situation for Russia. Me myself... well i'm just watching for now.

So everyone are panicking right now. About currency, about keys, about every damn thing.

scary

here in argieland you can't really change currency but it doesn't sound nearly as dire as it does there

hope things get better

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Everyone is panicking.

Panicking about keys doesn't make any sense, though. It's a popular, universal Steam currency with a relatively stable market value. The physical equivalent would be panicking about the value of Monopoly money within Monopoly.

Everyone is panicking.

woah. didn't know things were so f'ed up in russia currently.

guess sanctions do hit the country hard.

hope everything goes fine for you man!

(and also that your savings weren't in rubble)

Dr Dogg

Well shit it looks like even if you don't enter into the Dark Souls beta it will kick your Steam Achievements in if you have save data on your system :(

KiDdYoNe

Panicking about keys doesn't make any sense, though. It's a universal Steam currency with a relatively stable market value.

I know, but there's nothing you can do when everyone is in panic.

For me actually it's more reasonable to just grab every key and make everyone happy while you can with the current prices.

There's a at least two reasons actually:

Seller is reseller who usually gets games for keys so since keys are locked - no games anymore
Seller is using keys as the payments then selling them on market. They are still locked out if i got it right so they won't be able to sell them so. And get the games of course.
Who knows...

? why woudnt they accept them? that makes zero sense

I don't know, but I already saw 2 friendly bears saying the same thing. One of them says that he will probably accept gems, but still hasn't figured out the exchange rate, so his "shop" is closed until the start of the sale (he's probably waiting to see if gem prices plummet after the auction ends)

Other people reported the same stuff with traders saying they won't accept keys.

Turfster

Happy birthday to Commander Keen.
1-3 were 24 years old yesterday, 4-6 23 years old today.
Good memories.
Also, I am fucking ancient.

MUnited83

For you.
I know, but there's nothing you can do when everyone is in panic.

For me actually it's more reasonable to just grab every key and make everyone happy while you can with the current prices.

Seller is reseller who usually gets games for keys so since keys are locked - no games anymore
Seller is using keys as the payments then selling them on market. They are still locked out if i got it right so they won't be able to sell them so. And get the games of course.
Who knows...
traded keys dont get restricted. restriction is only if you buy ingame or the market. a 1 week restriction should hardly change things at all because if someone can use their keys in a trade those keys can be sold instantly in the market

Well shit it looks like even if you don't enter into the Dark Souls beta it will kick your Steam Achievements in if you have save data on your system :(

Will you still get GFWL achievements though? I was thinking of finishing it on GFWL for the achievements and then switching it over to Steamworks to get all the achievements automatically.

JaseC

Who knows...

Even assuming demand for keys will drop like a rock after the change, it's still a few days away from being implemented, so a trader refusing to accept keys now is utterly illogical. Hell, you (as in the royal "you") can't even make the argument that the trader doesn't want to accept something he may soon struggle to sell as the fact he's accepting orders means he has the free time to make a few clicks and list the keys in the here and now, haha.

Dr Dogg

Will you still get GFWL achievements though? I was thinking of finishing it on GFWL for the achievements and then switching it over to Steamworks to get all the achievements automatically.

Well GFWL is still in my install as all I did was fire it up to see what the score was without accepting into the beta and pop went 20 odd achievements without me doing anything. Pissed would be an understatement. So technically I can still get both but not the way I intended and resorting to resting them via SAM isn't going to sort out my timestamps. Oh well.

Colin.

Even assuming demand for keys will drop like a rock after the change, it's still a few days away from being implemented, so a trader refusing to accept keys now is utterly illogical.

Can someone give me a quick overview of what these impending changes are exactly? Seen it mentioned a few times, but haven't seen what is actually going to be changed.

JaseC

Can someone give me a quick overview of what these impending changes are exactly? Seen it mentioned a few times, but haven't seen what is actually going to be changed.

Keys bought from the Mann Co. store and Community Market will be locked down for a week (non-tradeable/marketable).

Nzyme32

Well GFWL is still in my install as all I did was fire it up to see what the score was without accepting into the beta and pop went 20 odd achievements without me doing anything. Pissed would be an understatement. So technically I can still get both but not the way I intended and resorting to resting them via SAM isn't going to sort out my timestamps. Oh well.

Wow, wasn't expecting that. I suppose I was lucky to decide against even logging in via GFWL after the times it didn't work.

Affix ?cc=xx to the URL, where xx is your desired country code.

E.g. https://store.steampowered.com/app/223330/?cc=au doesn't work but https://store.steampowered.com/app/223330/?cc=ru does.
store.steampowered.com/?cc=us

you won't be able to buy them tho

Thanks.

1 more question: is there's any disadvantage in getting a game from another region that isn't available in mine? Like no Steam Cards or access to other stuff, or will it be like any other games on my region?

Colin.

Keys bought from the Mann Co. store and Community Market will be locked down for a week (non-tradeable/marketable).

Hmm. It would certainly be inconvenient, but not enough for the trading market to come to a halt. Even if some traders did find this unacceptable, it would just result in other items being requested more often as payment instead, like CS and Dota keys, or other TF2 items. Maybe even gems, which was mentioned earlier.

JaseC

Thanks.

1 more question: is there's any disadvantage in getting a game from another region that isn't available in mine? Like no Steam Cards or access to other stuff, or will it be like any other games on my region?

There's the possibility that the game in question may not run without a VPN (or a little bit of trickery if you're not keen on the idea of your traffic passing through a third party), but this is decidedly rare. If you're curious about a particular title, just ask and someone will let you know.

Grief.exe

Can anyone trade me a Greatshield of Artorias for the Knight's Honor achievement? Last one I need, and I would rather make a new character for Sun Broing people through Undead Burg than play through another game for a Sif kill.

SL 100
American Region
Sign down at the entrance to New Londo Ruins, can't remember if I can pick things up as a white phantom.

Szoj9xU.jpg

Seems my sign goes away when I go to farm the dark wraiths (need a dark hand as well)

I may be slightly LTTP seeing as this was released in May, but hey, have some impressions anyway for Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure.

Disclaimer: I went into this game not having played any of the previous games in the series.

The story: Tex Murphy wakes up to an office much nicer than the one he remembers, and discovers he's lost the past seven years of his life. He goes on a quest to discover what happened to him, get his memory back (or not?) and help finish the case he was on, involving a MacGuffin known as the Tesla Egg. Parts of the story can get confusing as you never quite know who's on your side, or even whose side you're on. I think that's partly because there are multiple endings and the allegiances are mutable. Or maybe it's bad storytelling, I'm not sure. But the story that's told has good doses of humour, intrigue and noir qualities.

The dialogue and acting: Some great acting turns by several virtual unknowns, some people you swear you've seen before, and a handful of known entities (The mom from Lost in Space! Willis! The Soup Nazi! Tom Servo!) Some of the dialogue can be delivered in an overacted style, especially Louie Mintz the cafe owner, but for the most part it fits the tone of the game well.

The gameplay: You're gonna love it or hate it. It's a first person point-and-click adventure style interspersed with dialogue choices while interrogating chracters. The former has some pixel hunting, while the latter is often "choose a type of witty retort" unless it's "make this serious decision that will probably affect the ending." Here's hoping you know which is which! The minigame puzzles can sometimes be confusing but you can get a description of the puzzle which, more often than not, spells out exactly how to solve it for you. I did enjoy the gameplay, mostly, but there's one area where you have to do several puzzles in a row followed by a stealth section. Fuck that shit. I even had to redo it because I found out I missed a missable (the missables unlock bonus footage, allow you to replay movies or audio, etc. after the game is over, so it's not that big an issue...but hey. Sometimes you just wanna collect 'em all.)

The graphics: For a kickstarted game, the production values are fantastic. It's by turns shiny and futuristic, seedy-looking underbelly, and green-screen cheesy, Don't expect the visual quality of an FPS shooter, but for its purposes it looks good. The visual quality on the cutscenes is way better than I expected.

The length: My played counter reads 14 hours but that includes leaving it on while I did other stuff, so it's probably more like 12-13. Still, a good length for a point-and-click.

The verdict: You might read above and hear "Okay, the story can be confusing, there are frustrating gameplay elements, and FPS pixel hunting sucks" and sure, I understand how those can be dealbreakers for some people. So this won't be a game for everyone. But I enjoyed it: it's a unique experience. One I might even recommend. That said, does it make me want to go back and play the other Tex Murphy games? Mmmmmnot so much. The game does feature cutscene callbacks to the other games so you can see just how much the visual quality doesn't hold up, Clint Howard notwithstanding. Still, I'm glad I played Tesla Effect. You might be too.

30+ club represent

Word. Hell, in another 14 months i'll be part of the 40+ club Now lemme go get some milk tea and a blanket, and tell you damn kids about the good old Commodore 64 days. We didn't have any Steam, we had 5.25" floppies! We didn't have DRM, we had three-part circular paper "copy protection wheels" we had to use to get out of the first world of Bard's Tale 3! We had one damned button on our joystick.. and we liked it!

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
ASCENSION ON STEAM MOTHERFUCKERS

awesome TCG, played a bunch on the iphone (on that stupid tiny screen too)

Dr Dogg

Wow, wasn't expecting that. I suppose I was lucky to decide against even logging in via GFWL after the times it didn't work.

Well I've just SAMed them out of existence so fingers crossed when I achieve them again that the Timestamps update to the date and time I actually unlock them.

Yes I'm using an evil program to undo achievements, ain't that novel!

There's the possibility that the game in question may not run without a VPN, but this is decidedly rare. If you're curious about a particular title, just ask and someone will let you know.

Just the Rockstar games(GTA's, Bully & MP3 and LA:N) and Far Cry 4 are the games I want.

Chariot

When will Rime Berta be avaible? The countdown ended and now it's just saying.
"Coming soon - This item is not yet available."

edit: it's out now. 14,99, I think I can wait.

Top Bottom