• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2014 - Read OP for winter sale questions

Why is Hatred being removed from Steam and GAF's discussions of importance? The developers have been exposed as hate crime supporters / racists and their game doesn't deserve any more attention as a result. Not our loss.

wow, the skyrim hate in you is strong.
did you play bayonetta 2? i have issues with a game that wasn't played by very many and has technical issues (just like the first) with framerates and such winning GAF GOTY. I most likely won't agree with GAF GOTY, but I hope it's at least a solid choice.
The technical issues in Bayonetta 2 are nowhere near comparable to that of 1's, though. That game had sections that dropped to barely above 10 frames a second be it on Wii U or Xbox 360, whereas Bayonetta 2 at worst only drops to sub-30 sporadically with no screen-tearing in sight. Not to say that 2's framerate isn't irregular though, but that's been the case with every Platinum game so no one ought to be surprised by that anymore. Willing to tolerate it however is a different matter due to personal preferences, and The Last of Us + last-gen GTA V have shown that the majority of GAF is strangely A-OK with developers unable to accomplish a bare minimum given how sub-30 was a constant there. Either way: Bayonetta 2 is a significantly more playable game than 1 was on top of feeling more responsive regardless of the framerate and having much better pacing overall.

Also, what difference does it make if a game "not played by many" wins GOTY, hypothetically? A lot of the popular AAA-budget titles are shit and don't magically become less braindead or more 'worthy' of a (dumb) award like that purely because millions bought it. I don't see how it's a criteria that matters to determine overall quality.

this Hatred shit is still going on? amazing... please stop comparing Manhunt to Hatred. You either never played Manhunt, or you didnt see the Hatred trailer. Its not about violence, its about context.

In one game, you play as a dude trying to survive being stuck in a snuff film situation killing a bunch of pyscho murderers

In hatred, you play as literally one of those guys you hear on the news every month that shot up a school full of kids and then killed himself. Seriously, he uses the phrase "my genocide crusade starts now". GENOCIDE. If you dont know the word genocide, look it up and what its implications are in modern society.

He also uses the phrase "im going to kill as many people as I can and then die". While he sets up a bunch of weapons and then proceeds to kill a bunch of normal people begging him not to. And then I presume proceed to blow his brains out or die by suciie by cop at the end, acording from the trailer.

In a time where random shootings are a every day occurance, are you fucking seriou comparing this to Manhunt. Context matters. Why I even have to say this again is baffling to me.

Not to mention the dev's racist tweeter remarks in the past and possible ties to neo-nazi groups. Not to mention that Valve is a PRIVATE COMPANY and they can choose wht they let or dont let in their store, they dont owe you anything.

edit: people comparing this to call of duty or warcraft (lol) or anything that "hey these games also let you kill a bunch of people" are either very young, or just batshit crazy, im sorry. You know what, im not sorry. Im going to make a game where you play as Hitler and the goal is to rape a bunch of women, the more they suffer and scream for help, the better you score. Thats it, thats the goal. I mean, other games have sex scenes and they are on steam, so its fine guys! Context doesnt matter, its all pixels anyway, its fine!

Remember the shit storm with Mortal Kombat?
And then how Nintendo forced Midway to censor the game for release on the SNES and stuff?

And then shit like GTA3 hitting and then San Andreas with the Hot Coffee...

Those were the days.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Just got an email that Shadowrun Returns will be back with another Kickstarter in January:

I'm not sure how I feel about this, I backed the first one and was very glad I did and very happy with the finished product, and it wouldn't have existed without Kickstarter. But the game also sold very well (it had a peak players over 25k) and no doubt generated a lot of income for the company, so I would think they could do development of additional campaigns and such with what they have and sell them for a profit. But we'll see what exactly they end up asking for. Either way, I doubt they'll get even a fraction of what they got the first time so I hope they are taking that into consideration.

Seems like they could just have a big pre-order campaign, why give Amazon 10%?

The_Super_Inframan

"the journey to a thousand games ends with bad rats. ~Lao Tzu" ~Gabe Newell
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 28 Steam keys and 1 other items. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (The_Super_Inframan, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Larva Mortus -- MB-91D22C77407CE7E1 - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Space Hack -- MB-EA26B74D5894BEC6 - Taken by HBP. 2 entrants total.
Nuclear Dawn -- MB-953D954B8CB50190 - Taken by famfrit. 7 entrants total.
The Lost Crown -- MB-F15722C9634FF89B - Taken by nja. 8 entrants total.
PGP3OVL.png
THE WITCHER 2 (GOG) -- MB-BE72D3EE41A0F9E3 - Taken by Jrdan. 3 entrants total.
t1cxE6r.gif
StarDrive -- MB-D183A520B15B1890 - Taken by fenners. 9 entrants total.
Yury -- MB-CDF0EFF94FAE2BB8 - Taken by derExperte. 2 entrants total.
KNIGHTSHIFT -- MB-F986768A7A343C14 - Taken by TheMadMan007. 1 entrants total.
Guns n Zombies -- MB-6764BF74B70BF68B - Taken by bluechox2. 2 entrants total.
House of 1,000 Doors Family Secrets -- MB-F852AE8A9641A14B
Dawn of Fantasy Kingdom Wars -- MB-D099A36B1BDD9077
Ionball 2 Ionstorm -- MB-0C3853AA973EE9AD - Taken by Conrad Link. 4 entrants total.
Time Mysteries The Final Enigma -- MB-781D47736CCF5164 - Taken by alr1ght. 5 entrants total.
Shadows Price For Our Sins -- MB-400EBBE4B1E53E9B - Taken by skullmuffins. 5 entrants total.
The Culling of the Cows -- MB-2C213F894DA8EAEA - Taken by Loptous. 3 entrants total.
Metal Planet -- MB-A922D9C70716AC8C - Taken by Purkake4. 1 entrants total.
Potatoman seeks the Troof -- MB-E983A4FECFC4C472 - Taken by Newblade. 2 entrants total.
Platypus -- MB-1595B182781F16C8 - Taken by rrvv. 6 entrants total.

Steel & Steam -- MB-E25264BCC843ACED - Taken by Starwolf_UK. 3 entrants total.
Hyper Fighters -- MB-420345D01B70028D - Taken by drakaenae. 1 entrants total.
ELVEN LEGACY -- MB-43FAE755A4CF069B - Taken by TheTrain. 2 entrants total.
Reversion The Meeting (2nd Chapter) -- MB-3CDD8471E6FEAD7F - Taken by Purkake4. 2 entrants total.
Ballpoint Universe -- MB-B94B0991BD889A9D - Taken by Anustart. 1 entrants total.
Blades of Time -- MB-32FCD3674D25C9BC - Taken by gaiadyne. 5 entrants total.
SWEET LILY DREAMS -- MB-9C9F032281EB9CC4 - Taken by data. 1 entrants total.
Star Ruler -- MB-A5770B8DFE19FF62 - Taken by Drakhyrr. 2 entrants total.
Doorways Chapters 1 & 2 -- MB-1E782235A9038C5F
Ichi -- MB-C1BF8F4437151C6C - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 4 entrants total.
Left in the Dark No One on Board -- MB-EFFB82FA5F50A4C4 - Taken by skullmuffins. 5 entrants total.

t1418773826z1.png

Videospel

like, i don't even know what the fuck is hatred trying to do.

I might have thought that a game like this would be cool when I was 12. But these developers are grown men who have spent months making game. They must have something motivating them, but I don't know what.
I've only seen the trailer so maybe I'm missing the game's underlying message, but it doesn't really seem that it has any.

By the way, can you imagine the people doing the mo-cap and voice recordings for this? "Ok, so for the next animation you're going to stab this defenseless woman repeatedly in the chest. And you, scream and plead for mercy."

Oh my...

pahamrick

Whoa. Baldur's Gate II: EE just got a 800+mb patch, and a 14mb PDF to go over the changes.

This should be interesting, maybe time for another BGII play through.

I might have thought that a game like this would be cool when I was 12. But these developers are grown men who have spent months making game. They must have something motivating them, but I don't know what.
I've only seen the trailer so maybe I'm missing the game's underlying message, but it doesn't really seem that it has any.
Here's their motivation.

Now let's completely disregard anything about Hatred like intelligent people.

Whoa. Baldur's Gate II: EE just got a 800+mb patch, and a 14mb PDF to go over the changes.

This should be interesting, maybe time for another BGII play through.

Pat on the superbestfriendcast has been hyping the shit out the game. Does one need previous D&D experience to enjoy the series?

zkylon

zkylewd

By the way, can you imagine the people doing the mo-cap and voice recordings for this? "Ok, so for the next animation you're going to stab this defenseless woman repeatedly in the chest. And you, scream and plead for mercy."

Oh my...
i don't think the mocap sessions in most violent games would be too comfortable to watch anyways :p

the game is probably completely devoid of any meaningful contribution to the human race in any shape or form. it's likely gonna be repulsive and boring shit. but yeah, begs to wonder what can be driving people to make something as rotten

Anustart

I am now the only abysswalker left alive. Sorry friend, but you were corrupt. Oh, and by the way, I killed your wolf and kicked him afterwards.

don't know what I expected.
last night i was very tired and felt very shitty.

just on a whim opened up gaf and steam.
entered my first auction - starpoint gemini 2 - with all i had left from boosters creating.

a whole sum of 112 gems. 112.

i really don't know with what part of my body i was thinking there -_-

gems are at 1€ a pop. i very slowly and with loads of lucky drops amassed 10€ in my wallet.
but now i am considering dumping almost all into sacks...

someone talk me in or out of it please

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
I am now the only abysswalker left alive. Sorry friend, but you were corrupt. Oh, and by the way, I killed your wolf and kicked him afterwards.
Poor Sif. :(

Anustart

don't know what I expected.
last night i was very tired and felt very shitty.

just on a whim opened up gaf and steam.
entered my first auction - starpoint gemini 2 - with all i had left from boosters creating.

a whole sum of 112 gems. 112.

i really don't know with what part of my body i was thinking there -_-

gems are at 1€ a pop. i very slowly and with loads of lucky drops amassed 10€ in my wallet.
but now i am considering dumping almost all into sacks...

someone talk me in or out of it please

Considering 100xp is cheaper if you just make any badge from cards, there ya go. No need for gems, spend rest during the sale for cheaper/less hassle.

pahamrick

Pat on the superbestfriendcast has been hyping the shit out the game. Does one need previous D&D experience to enjoy the series?

I don't think so, no. My first exposure to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 was when I played through the Enhanced Editions right after the summer sale. Amazing games, but they are very much old school RPGs. It took me a little bit to get the hang of things, especially how magic worked.

Played through BG1:EE twice, and BG2:EE once so far and had a blast each time.

Uzzy

No, but some knowledge of AD&D 2nd Edition will help you in understanding the combat mechanics. Thankfully the pdf manual included will give you some pointers. The best thing to do in BG1 is to make sure everyone has a ranged weapon with plenty of ammo, so you can kite enemies to death.

BinaryPork2737

Unconfirmed Member
I keep forgetting to give away extra games from bundles that I've bought and finally remembered, so here.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 10 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (BinaryPork2737, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Fairy Tale About Father Frost, Ivan and Nastya -- MB-D95AD886C296B348 - Taken by rainking187. 1 entrants total.
Viking: Battle for Asgard -- MB-0D3A82CB091D6CC2 - Taken by anastef. 2 entrants total.
Sweet Lily Dreams -- MB-E1C6E28266160C52
Evilquest -- MB-0D728AE3660B16D3
Jack Orlando: Director's Cut -- MB-70EF13DFA3B4894C - Taken by Blu(e). 1 entrants total.
Gearcrack Arena -- MB-59F47AA81BCEAD11 - Taken by Baron_Calamity. 1 entrants total.
Knightshift -- MB-C0FDEAB58FA87485 - Taken by fenners
Septerra Core -- MB-8B4161A2F0AACF69 - Taken by Fairfax. 1 entrants total.
Elven Legacy -- MB-490C4FFF0AFDFEAF
Yury -- MB-B0BB1809849A4DFB - Taken by lindarasta. 2 entrants total.

t1418764647z1.png

Jawmuncher

Why is Hatred being removed from Steam and GAF's discussions of importance? The developers have been exposed as hate crime supporters / racists and their game doesn't deserve any more attention as a result. Not our loss.

The technical issues in Bayonetta 2 are nowhere near comparable to that of 1's, though. That game had sections that dropped to barely above 10 frames a second be it on Wii U or Xbox 360, whereas Bayonetta 2 at worst only drops to sub-30 sporadically with no screen-tearing in sight. Not to say that 2's framerate isn't irregular though, but that's been the case with every Platinum game so no one ought to be surprised by that anymore. Willing to tolerate it however is a different matter due to personal preferences, and The Last of Us + last-gen GTA V have shown that the majority of GAF is strangely A-OK with developers unable to accomplish a bare minimum given how sub-30 was a constant there. Either way: Bayonetta 2 is a significantly more playable game than 1 was on top of feeling more responsive regardless of the framerate and having much better pacing overall.

Also, what difference does it make if a game "not played by many" wins GOTY, hypothetically? A lot of the popular AAA-budget titles are shit and don't magically become less braindead or more 'worthy' of a (dumb) award like that purely because millions bought it. I don't see how it's a criteria that matters to determine overall quality.

Wrong about the bolded; at least in my experience. MGR:R and Vanquish, at least, did not have slowdown and tearing in the versions I played. They had constant framerates and no tearing whatsoever.

I had really hoped that Bayonetta would be fixed so that it moved passed it's technical problems with the Wii U re-release. So that's a giant disappointment and drops my interest in acquiring a Wii U someday even further down. Also, Bayonetta 2 should be running at a locked 60fps... or at the very least, it should be doing the God of War 3 variable fps with an acceptable average framerate. Seems the Bayonetta team learned NOTHING from the last release and had another helping of "biting off more than they could chew". LOL

As far as the difference with how many it's played by? That's my personal preference. That's what difference it makes. :p

Considering 100xp is cheaper if you just make any badge from cards, there ya go. No need for gems, spend rest during the sale for cheaper/less hassle.
i didn't made boosters for xp/leveling though. just for selling said booster for money.

if i'd invest into gems, it would be to get games with auctions.

there are some hints that this will happen before winter sale. so this makes me wary as well. maybe getting games via auction/gems will turn out cheaper than via russia during sale?

MUnited83

For you.
i didn't made boosters for xp/leveling though. just for selling said booster for money.

if i'd invest into gems, it would be to get games with auctions.

there are some hints that this will happen before winter sale. so this makes me wary as well. maybe getting games via auction/gems will turn out cheaper than via russia during sale?
getting games from russia will be cheap anyways guys, dont worry about it. the discount rates will what most of you are used to.

Maniac

Banned
Well, I'm officially done with all this auction-y business. Got some nice enough pick-ups though! Night Shift was from Experte's giveaway, but the rest is all from the auction.

4qnZbOr.png

Feels good, man.
i hope ya'll're voting
Not sure I can be arsed. It's already pretty clear that the stuff I'd vote for isn't going to win :p

Momentary

Banned
Damn Valve. You're killin' me.

The Market is unavailable for the following reason(s):

You are logging into The Market from a device that has not been protected by Steam Guard for 7 days. More info...

If nothing further occurs to restrict your access, you'll be able to use The Community Market on 12/21/2014, 8:44:29 PM.

No, but some knowledge of AD&D 2nd Edition will help you in understanding the combat mechanics. Thankfully the pdf manual included will give you some pointers. The best thing to do in BG1 is to make sure everyone has a ranged weapon with plenty of ammo, so you can kite enemies to death.

I don't think so, no. My first exposure to Baldur's Gate 1 and 2 was when I played through the Enhanced Editions right after the summer sale. Amazing games, but they are very much old school RPGs. It took me a little bit to get the hang of things, especially how magic worked.

Played through BG1:EE twice, and BG2:EE once so far and had a blast each time.

Ahhh thank you friends, I might pull the trigger if goes on sale

Like I need another rpg to take my time away. I still have The Witchers to go through and KOTOR II while simutaneously finishing up F:NV

Wrong about the bolded; at least in my experience. MGR:R and Vanquish, at least, did not have slowdown and tearing in the versions I played. They had constant framerates and no tearing whatsoever.

I had really hoped that Bayonetta would be fixed so that it moved passed it's technical problems with the Wii U re-release. So that's a giant disappointment and drops my interest in acquiring a Wii U someday even further down. Also, Bayonetta 2 should be running at a locked 60fps... or at the very least, it should be doing the God of War 3 variable fps with an acceptable average framerate. Seems the Bayonetta team learned NOTHING from the last release and had another helping of "biting off more than they could chew". LOL

As far as the difference with how many it's played by? That's my personal preference. That's what difference it makes. :p
MGR and Vanquish had perceptible dips and screen-tearing on both platforms, so the Platinum rule still holds up. Plus Bayonetta 2 does have a variable framerate that usually stays well above the 30 fps mark, so I don't know why you're concerned over something you've seemingly hardly witnessed for yourself.

Lastly, on the subject of personal preference: the only thing that a higher number of buyers for x game shows to me is a trend of increasingly lowered standards. Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, Far Cry 4 and Shadow of Mordor among others being praised (the latter especially for its combat somehow) kind of says it all. So again, to me it's irrelevant to actual, legitimate quality.

So, I've been seeing that with all the keys being trade restricted for 7 days most Russians say that they won't accept keys anymore. Should I sell in the market the last 10 keys that I have?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I have my doubts that he knows what he's talking about. While Daedalic certainly has a presence on Steam, he left the company in mid-2013 and his current project is a physical board game. There's been a bit of talk in recent months about how the RUB falling in value has been a good thing for international traders and so I wouldn't be surprised if he's partaking in a leap of logic by assuming that Valve will respond by dropping RUB support instead of, well, just upping the default conversion rate.

Monooboe

So, I've been seeing that with all the keys being trade restricted for 7 days most Russians say that they won't accept keys anymore. Should I sell in the market the last 10 keys that I have?

They work at the dispenser right? Might as well get something from there if you find something you want. Or sell them.

derExperte

So far the key price hasn't moved. You'd think that would've already happened so I don't know if it'll have any effect.

I have my doubts that he knows what he's talking about. While Daedalic certainly has a presence on Steam, he left the company in mid-2013 and his current project is a physical board game. There's been a bit of talk in recent months about how the RUB falling in value has been a good thing for international traders and so I wouldn't be surprised if he's partaking in a leap of logic by assuming that Valve will respond by dropping RUB support instead of, well, just upping the default conversion rate.

It's not the worst idea to buy now though. If the ruble doesn't recover something will happen sooner or later, if it does games will become more expensive again and even if it goes further down without Valve or the devs doing anything you'd have gotten the games cheaper than a few weeks ago.

I have my doubts that he knows what he's talking about. While Daedalic certainly has a presence on Steam, he left the company in mid-2013 and his current project is a physical board game. There's been a bit of talk in recent months about how the RUB falling in value has been a good thing for international traders and I wouldn't be surprised if he's making a logical leap in assuming that Valve will respond by dropping RUB support instead of, well, just upping the default conversion rate.
for the love of all, i pray you are right you crazy guy

JaseC

for the love of all, i pray you are right you crazy guy

Even assuming he is privy to Valve's intentions, what will happen is that Russia will be lumped in with the rest of Eastern Europe and share lower USD prices (the "CIS" USD prices you see on SteamDB), so not much will change and in a select few cases some stuff will actually be cheaper. Russia switching back to USD wouldn't mean US prices as that'd put full-price games out of the reach of most and therefore push them to piracy, which is exactly what Valve sought to fight by supporting lower prices in Eastern Europe in the first place.

They work at the dispenser right? Might as well get something from there if you find something you want. Or sell them.

Gonna try hunting for things that don't go on deep discounts during the sale then. Thanks!

So far the key price hasn't moved. You'd think that would've already happened so I don't know if it'll have any effect.

It's not the worst idea to buy now though. If the ruble doesn't recover something will happen sooner or later, if it does games will become more expensive again and even if it goes further down without Valve or the devs doing anything you'd have gotten the games cheaper than a few weeks ago.

Decisions, decisions!

fantomena

Even assuming he is privy to Valve's intentions, what will happen is that Russia will be lumped in with the rest of Eastern Europe and share lower USD prices (the "CIS" USD prices you see on SteamDB), so not much will change and in a select few cases some stuff will actually be cheaper. Russia switching back to USD wouldn't mean US prices as that'd put full-price games out of the reach of most and therefore push them to piracy, which is exactly what Valve sought to fight by supporting lower prices in Eastern Europe in the first place.

Apple has already done this. http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/...sales-to-russia-as-the-ruble-plunges-in-value

I feel it's logical for a company to remove the rubble if the valuta is not stable enough.

I tried TEW demo a while ago and it run like crap on my pc (FX 6300, 4GB RAM, R9 270 2GB). Despite that I decided to buy the game when it was on sale on GMG since it was at a pretty good price. After hearing of the recent patch I downloaded the game and... damn, the patch worked like magic. The game runs much better now, even at 1080p.

I've already played the game on PS3, but I'll probably replay it again on PC. Though I wanted to do it on Nightmare or Akumu, and now I'll have play it again normal to unlock them :/

KiDdYoNe

I know the guy personally and he won't just make the hype out of his thoughts. He left Daedalic some time ago but he has strong connections with a lot of russian developers and he's the right guy to ask about this thing. Tho he's not the only one. Sergey Galyonkin is saying the same thing (he is in Wargaming now iirc), his last tweet says "RU Steam will have dollar currency and the local prices (like Ukraine has). There is a chance that prices will even stay in roubles but backed by exchange rate."

There's no reason to not believe these guys. They are not the first to mention this change and sure won't be the last.

So if they are right RU Steam will not be special anymore, just the regular CIS country.

JaseC

Apple has already done this. http://www.theverge.com/2014/12/16/...sales-to-russia-as-the-ruble-plunges-in-value

I feel it'æs logical for a company to remove the rubble if the valuta is not stable enough.

Sure, but like I said, that wouldn't result in Russia being hit with USD$60 for "AAA" games.

So if they are right RU Steam will not be special anymore, just the regular CIS country.

And I even said in the very post you quoted that Valve may choose to up the conversion rate instead. ;)

I couldn't get in on $30 Xbone controllers but a Wii U pro controller for the same price works great too.

Ready to play that MGS5 with a Nintendo controller.

Top Bottom