• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
ummm was there a massive windows 10 update recently or something?

its taking longer than usual to update and im actually seeing that black screen with the big updating windows wording that you get when you install a new version of windows

im scared! its been copying files for a while now!

ahhhh.

it did that to me couple weeks ago and i thought the same thing. was just an update...even though it looked like it was reinstalling

Corpekata

Banned
Deadly Tower appears to have come a long way. The first trailer/ reveal kinda sucked, looking extremely basic aside from the film hook. The last couple trailers though have been a lot of fun.

Melee Combat still looks a little bit "flail away with a stat stick" but the other stuff might pull me in.

Kifimbo

All four should work.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 4 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Soulbringer -- MB-95BC61B2F562673D - Taken by Baron_Calamity
Nosferatu: The Wrath of Malachi -- MB-79FD351EB7B6A158 - Taken by Cyldman
Eschalon: Book I -- MB-17716F37E2EA82E9 - Taken by Sarcasm
Eschalon: Book II -- MB-0B74FFDBB6889C19 - Taken by xGreg

Eternia

I didn't realize how much my old processor was holding me back. Going from a Q8200 with 4GB of DDR2 ram to this:
T2NHAew.jpg
It was a pretty big jump even while keeping the R9 270 from my old build. Only did a quick test with Tales of Zestiria but I went from <26fps downsampled from 3200x1800 to a steady 30fps downsampled from 4k. I'll probably start playing the few open world games that I've been holding back for quite a while like Sleeping Dogs.

Refunds were the double-edged nail in the coffin for sales.

List dumping really destroys my impulse buy. Maybe Amazon will have a miracle birth in a manger to another Tony type to whom we will bring by camel all manner of PayPal, fake US addresses and credit to rejoice in the blessing of the world.

I don't know if I completed 10 games that came out this year....
Definiately right you are. I haven't for sure. Probably not even one game from 2015. Not that I mind.

So I thought I'd just post my GIPTY(Games I played this year) to put a small spotlight on some older titles, curb interest and talk:
Dark Souls - slow, delibearte combat fitting the harsh consequences of loosing. Vast world, smartly interconnected and at times gorgeous. High on lore and atmosphere, very low on story. Great to loose dozens upon dozens of hours trying out new tactics, weapons and techniques.

Dark Souls 2 + Season Pass - More of the same, great improvements in many places, from UI to game mechanics and co-op. Disjointed experience in world design and much less well done lore and world building. Great game and great fun for Souls fans.

Spelunky - Rouge-like with somewhat steep learning curve. Perfect mechanics. Many secrets impossible to figure out on own. Great, great fun once it clicks and a serious addiction factor with its 5-10mins pick-up-and-play design.

Binary Domain - Great TPS with surprisingly decent story. Fun and diverse levels and set-pieces. Combat does not get old thanks to inventive destruction and command mechanics.

Warkhammer: Space Marine - Fun, mindless brawler. Very satisfying melee combat. Does not do a great job at immersing newcomers into Warhammer universe with its passable story. Good short fun.

Alpha Protocol - Mass Effect in spy clothes. Nice dialog system with actual consequences. Various approaches possible but sadly shooting not well fleshed out and most "un-fun". Can be great fun stealthing. One of the few games where animations, models and textures are jarring and got me out of the atmosphere. Most likely to be not a good choice for many.

Witcher - Great worldbuilding and lore. Sub-par combat system which feels to passive and rhytm-based. OK visuals and animations. Stellar depth. Great RPG.

GTAIV:Episodes - Bad writing, bad characters, bad controls. Incredibly detailed world. OK missions. Totally fine passing on this.

Rage - Great setting and gunplay. Somewhat depressing mood which made me stop after 7hrs. Missions get repetitive quick. Fun vehicular combat for diversity. It's an OK game.

Ozium

Oh I know, I'm not even mad at the boy. I've seen it in action and he's right, it's got a lot more eye candy than Steam does. Which is a shame really, because it just reminds me of what Steam could be if they actually focused their efforts on aesthetics over pure functionality.

Wait until he sees the Steam Store in VR!

Arthea

Absolutely. That's part of the game-within-a-game where you play what's supposed to be a JRPG. That's the "win button" (which I assume is a reference to limit break or ultimate magic, etc.) animation.

we need to go deeper

thanks

I like games within the games within the games, unfortunately it's not so easy to make it good, such approach. I mean.

they shut down to prepare for the influx of sakura santa purchases

I knew share number of Sakura games will break steam some day, but not so soon!

JustinBB7

If I enable the 2step thing, will I be market banned for a while? Asking just in case because Valve is weird with market and security changes.

I thought I had it enabled but then I remembered I didn't because I don't want to use a code every time I launch Steam. But I'm guessing it's only when you have to log in so want to get rid of that message now every time I launch.

My question is about paying the games online.

If you buy a JP 3DS then you will be limited to playing against others who have a JP region console.

For NTSC-U and PAL (i.e. America and Europe) consoles, cross region multiplayer exists in most cases. There are however a few high profile exceptions.

alright, i'm way too bored to break from gaf completely
gonna avoid going into threads with fanboys from now on tho

I was meaning to tell you... The copy of Steins Gate you basically forced me to buy arrived yesterday.

If you buy a JP 3DS then you will be limited to playing against others who have a JP region console.

For NTSC-U and PAL (i.e. America and Europe) consoles, cross region multiplayer exists in most cases. There are however a few high profile exceptions.

I was meaning to tell you... The copy of Steins Gate you basically forced me to buy arrived yesterday.

let me know how you enjoy it! it's really fun
vita, ps3, or pc?

Monooboe

The "making of" documentary of Pillars of Eternity just came out if anybody is interested. $.99 is a pretty good price

It's also part of some of the editions that the game came in, so many might already have it, but yeah good price for it either way. I really liked the documentary.

Speaking of RPGs, I've been playing a bunch of Elder Scrolls Online and yeah it isn't a Bethesda game without the constant "Inventory is full".XD

Sarcasm

I find them weird because game like cart/smash I played was WW. Than some games you can't. Wish it was clear cut.

But where I am at we talking about 170$ JP N3DS LL vs 240$ NA N3DS XL* (same model, different region)

* For red model, black is 269 and the combo with game Animal crossing is 300.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom