• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | December 2015 - _ Diretide Greetings and Happy Holidailies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh I know, I'm not even mad at the boy. I've seen it in action and he's right, it's got a lot more eye candy than Steam does. Which is a shame really, because it just reminds me of what Steam could be if they actually focused their efforts on aesthetics over pure functionality.

But what does he think of GOG Galaxy? That's the client that matters.

...Assassin's Creed 1 is on there, IIRC. If he needs the push.

Soulflarz

Banned
Steam, we need to talk. My son just sent me this via text:

For context, he just got done studying the American Revolution this semester in school (year 10 student, sophomore in high school) and he wanted to play Assassin's Creed III. I warned him that it's terrible.

When a 15 year old thinks that Uplay is better (or "classier") than Steam, there is a problem.

I'm 18
Uplay is trash
I've hated uplay since the day they started it

And no, you cannot adopt me.

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
875b30fb08.gif

dex3108

People who talk trash about UPlay today are mostly people who turned on UPlay Client/Game last time 3 years ago. It is not perfect Client and has few issues but at least it is in active development and Ubisoft actually adds features in it. I can't say same thing for Origin. That damn thing updates every time i start it and i don't see anything new.

Knurek

People who talk trash about UPlay today are mostly people who turned on UPlay Client/Game last time 3 years ago. It is not perfect Client and has few issues but at least it is in active development and Ubisoft actually adds features in it. I can't say same thing for Origin. That damn thing updates every time i start it and i don't see anything new.

The Origin client updates are pretty much the same as 3DS/PSP 'security' updates.
(EA just keeps patching holes people use to spoof Origin for pirated games)

Arthea

but is it worth installing again for Tetris? until an answer is no, I don't care about the rest.

Seriously, I still can't believe they did this with Tetris, most likely I never will

why can't we get Puyo Puyo Tetris instead, I'd vote with my wallet for it, day one too, why publishers still have to say what we can't play on PC.

im looking forward to all the 66%'s

you won't be disappointed, I think

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Thanks to an anonymous benefactor, I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Viscera Cleanup Detail: Santa's Rampage -- MB-C9050161EFAFB2D1 - Taken by MaxiLive. 2 entrants total.
Burn it all to the ground!

t1450746185z1.png

Grief.exe

Which is worse, there has been no reason to use Uplay in the last 3 years? Or Uplay has made little progress to change mindshare over that period?

Xanathus

Uplay is totally fine and I welcome all competition against Steam. Only problem for me is that Uplay's store is set to Euro region with ridiculous prices so I'll never buy a game from it.

Soulflarz

Banned
On that note, yes, I tend to side with the idea that people who play those kinds of games (or even the games I play which might have random panty shots) forget how...against societal norms that is? Basically, you can't be playing that in a living room and a friend walks up and he doesn't go "what the hell is that?".

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Uplay doesn't compete against Steam, though, since you can sell Steam keys on your own site with no cut to Valve, you can set prices on Steam without Valve's permission, and Ubisoft can add as many or as few games as they want to Steam. Where's the competitive pressure?

For context, he just got done studying the American Revolution this semester in school (year 10 student, sophomore in high school) and he wanted to play Assassin's Creed III. I warned him that it's terrible.

When a 15 year old thinks that Uplay is better (or "classier") than Steam, there is a problem.

To be fair, they just had a major UI update.

Copons

Uplay doesn't compete against Steam, though, since you can sell Steam keys on your own site with no cut to Valve, you can set prices on Steam without Valve's permission, and Ubisoft can add as many or as few games as they want to Steam. Where's the competitive pressure?

While I theoretically agree with you, it's also true that if/when Ubi puts a game on Steam, even though it can sell the Steam key on Uplay with no cut to Valve, most of the copies will be sold on Steam.
Ubi could kinda prevent it discounting the game on Uplay and not on Steam, but then the revenue "loss" would be similar to the cut to Valve.

Or... Ubi could put a game on Steam, generate infinite keys, then remove the game from Steam and sell the keys on Uplay!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.

Interestingly enough, I've purchased a few games from Uplay directly that were just Steam keys. Obviously, the opposite isn't true as far as I know - you'll never see a copy of Portal 2 or Call of Duty that redeems on Uplay at the moment. Until that changes then it's like you said they're really not in competition.

I just got done with Bunker - The Underground Game. Here are your impressions:

The story: You play Otto Thompson, a hipster who works in IT. You get kidnapped by Russians after falling for an online dating scam, and end up in a Soviet-era bunker. Your original mission is to escape, but halfway through they add a new antagonist that you have to thwart. Simple stuff, poorly told, and not very interesting.

The graphics: The opening and closing cutscenes, as well as a game-within-a-game, are done in a pixellated style, while the bulk of the game looks like mid-late era Flash. The pixellated style is probably better, but I'm not sure if I'd want the whole game to look like that either. Nothing to write home about.

The dialogue: Do you find references to the word "emo," the acronym "YOLO," internet memes like "me gusta," and the ending to Mass Effect 3 - with little to no context - funny? Do you like spelling errors and bad translations? If so, this is the game for you. Extra added bonus of a racist let's be generous and say "blaxploitation-movie referential" portrayal of a black man from 1975.

The puzzles: The hardest puzzle of the game was trying to figure out where certain doors were. In one instance, it was indicated by a slightly lighter rectangle on the floor, or two pillars at the bottom of the screen. The only puzzle with any creativity actually required you to break the fourth wall, so that it was you the player solving the puzzle and not Otto. Spoiler if you want to see it!
At one point Otto is tied up and can't reach anything. You have to dip the circular mouse cursor in red paint to make it look like a laser pointer, then use it to lead a cat to do things that eventually free you.
Everything else was pretty easy inventory-puzzle fare, one "stealth" section and one avoidance minigame. No hints or walkthrough required for this one, which is just as well because I don't think a walkthrough in English even exists.

The gameplay: Oh. My. God. HORRIBLE. The character moves way too slow, and doesn't speed up when you double-click areas like most point-and-clicks. The dialogue doesn't go anywhere unless you click it (can be a positive or a negative, but I've never been a fan of this, especially if there's an associated mouth-moving animation.) Pulling up the inventory isn't a mouse movement like normal point-and-clicks, but rather the space bar. There are game-breaking bugs like getting stuck in areas, requiring you to load a save. (The developer recommended quitting and then selecting "continue" because apparently that starts you in the last room you walked into? But even THAT was wrong. "Continue" has you continue from being stuck.) Speaking of saves, there are four save slots pictured but it's actually two, since it clones the save from left to right. In some places loading the game does not load Otto's sprite and you have to click somewhere for him to appear and start walking there. The achievements are entirely broken. The only achievements are for getting secrets anyway, so you can complete the game and get, I think, only one required secret achievement, assuming they worked. You can't use WASD, and that would probably fix the "getting stuck" bug (or it could make it worse by allowing you to walk right out of frame or something,) and WASD would have been REALLY helpful in the stealth-like segment of the game and especially the avoidance minigame. Good luck doing those with shitty mouse controls! I'm probably even forgetting some things. Suffice to say, it's buggy as hell, and even if those bugs were fixed there are still serious design flaws.

The length: I finished in 3.1 hours. I still have three card drops to go. God help us all.

The verdict: Unless you REALLY want the cards (and there are 15 in the set which means you get 8) avoid this game like the fucking plague. Reversion Chapter 1 was at least short. Hotel Collector's Edition was at least reasonably bug-free. Bunker easily steals the crown of "worst point-and-click adventure I've ever played." The base price on Steam is $10, which is downright criminal for something this buggy. So if you've got it in a bundle, idlemaster it and leave it alone. Just...no.

dex3108

Which is worse, there has been no reason to use Uplay in the last 3 years? Or Uplay has made little progress to change mindshare over that period?

It is Ubisofts choice. They have their servers and they can do things on their term and pace not depending on Valve. Good example are companion apps for AC IV and Watch_Dogs, they could track in real time players location and you could use them as your map + mini games. They probably couldn't do that without UPlay service. And most important thing they left their games on Steam and they are working to make seamless experience for Steam users.

Is UPlay as service necessary on market? No. But it is here and it works without major issues so i don't care that need to use it to play games.

fantomena

It is Ubisofts choice. They have their servers and they can do things on their term and pace not depending on Valve. Good example are companion apps for AC IV and Watch_Dogs, they could track in real time players location and you could use them as your map + mini games. They probably couldn't do without UPlay service. And most important thing they left their games on Steam and they are working to make seamless experience for Steam users.

Is UPlay as service necessary on market? No. But it is here and it works without major issues so i don't care that need to use it to play games.

I agreed with this.

People can whine all they want on forums, but if it's working for Ubi, they won't give a fuck.

I don't like UPlay either, but for me it's working so the games I know that aren't terrible PC ports are games I buy.

Arthea

I just got done with Bunker - The Underground Game. Here are your impressions:

Just...no.

Thanks for this writeup, not only it was interesting to read it saves me some time too, to the nope it goes.

I kinda thought it looked interesting actually, too bad about brokenness and bugs

edited: can you say me what this screenshot is about, now when I won't be playing it, just curious

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
It is Ubisofts choice. They have their servers and they can do things on their term and pace not depending on Valve. Good example are companion apps for AC IV and Watch_Dogs, they could track in real time players location and you could use them as your map + mini games. They probably couldn't do that without UPlay service. And most important thing they left their games on Steam and they are working to make seamless experience for Steam users.

None of this has to do with UPlay though--Steam games can use Steam userids, Steam friends lists, and developer servers to track persistent data. Choosing to do it through a separate account system and a separate storefront is on them entirely.

Kaleinc

Banned

I disabled uplay overlay and every time a game is launched a pop up comes out warning terrible things will happen, continue (not recommended). EVERY damn time. Annoying piece of #uplay.

dex3108

None of this has to do with UPlay though--Steam games can use Steam userids, Steam friends lists, and developer servers to track persistent data. Choosing to do it through a separate account system and a separate storefront is on them entirely.

One way or another it is here to stay. It opens fast and closes fast and if you are using it with game on Steam you barely knows that it is there with recent changes.

P.S. only DreamWorks games with companion apps I know are Fallout 4 and Thief. And Fallout is local only and it doesn't use Steam as far as I know.

Corpekata

Banned
Uplay is streamlined because they are just this year barely adding features like "download patches when they're ready."

That's like, slower than Nintendo did it.

edited: can you say me what this screenshot is about, now when I won't be playing it, just curious

Absolutely. That's part of the game-within-a-game where you play what's supposed to be a JRPG. That's the "win button" (which I assume is a reference to limit break or ultimate magic, etc.) animation.

bbd23

ummm was there a massive windows 10 update recently or something?

its taking longer than usual to update and im actually seeing that black screen with the big updating windows wording that you get when you install a new version of windows

im scared! its been copying files for a while now!

ahhhh.

Nabs

ummm was there a massive windows 10 update recently or something?

its taking longer than usual to update and im actually seeing that black screen with the big updating windows wording that you get when you install a new version of windows

im scared! its been copying files for a while now!

ahhhh.

Yeah.

Haunted

I'm torn on it, but I think there was value in treating it like a real event with a lot of hooks to keep people engaged, to keep them coming back to the site regularly.

Looking forward to Valve's next sale always had a bit of a "what will they come up this time?" nature to it. It's simply less exciting this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom