• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Poppyseed

Go is slower vs Ally and that’s at higher average TDP. Look at some benchmarks on YouTube where Ally was shown to run faster in most games at 15W vs Go at 20W.

Ally also has VRR screen and Go doesn’t. Go is also more power hungry in general due to larger higher res screen which offsets larger battery.

Basically, IMO, Ally is better as a handheld, at least at this time. Once Lenovo patches up Go, it will be better as a hybrid, especially if you may connect it to a dock or external monitor when traveling.
Not to mention that 1600x2560 is the dumbest resolution for this size display and this chipset. And for those who said no, it means you can run an integer resolution of 800x1280, no, no it doesn’t. That resolution looks blurry as heck on the Go. Honestly, if you want a good handheld gaming system these days, aside from Switch, it’s either the Deck or the Ally. The Go is halfbaked, and nothing can make up for the stupid resolutions, silly button placement and no VRR on it.

It’s Ally vs Deck OLED (not the LCD version which has a dreadful display). I’d still pick the Ally due to having double the res and VRR/120hz (and waaaaay more power), but I wouldn’t fault anyone for buying the new Deck OLED.

Last edited:

Klosshufvud

Not to mention that 1600x2560 is the dumbest resolution for this size display and this chipset. And for those who said no, it means you can run an integer resolution of 800x1280, no, no it doesn’t. That resolution looks blurry as heck on the Go. Honestly, if you want a good handheld gaming system these days, aside from Switch, it’s either the Deck or the Ally. The Go is halfbaked, and nothing can make up for the stupid resolutions, silly button placement and no VRR on it.

It’s Ally vs Deck OLED (not the LCD version which has a dreadful display). I’d still pick the Ally due to having double the res and VRR/120hz (and waaaaay more power), but I wouldn’t fault anyone for buying the new Deck OLED.
I wish the OneXFly was made by a proper brand.

19.png

50Wh battery, 120hz 1080p 7' display, 7840U but still tiny and light weight as hell (580g). It's a really impressive handheld and people who own it are enjoying it. And IMO it addresses most of the shortcomings in the popular brands handhelds. Deck OLED, Ally and GO are all good in their own ways but come with one or two critical flaws. I personally think the no-brand Chinese handhelds have managed to create more appealing products but of course without the big brands and warranties to cover them.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

For me OLED and HDR are more important than screen size and resolution (and being able to easily set a framerate limiter per title very flexibly between 30 and 90 Hz gives me a good 80:20 value vs cost of VRR, but sure I would welcome that too)… and with that said the Steam Deck OLED has a bigger screen too (0.4’’ bigger) and it is a lighter device too compared to its predecessor.
Resolution (and aspect ratio) is fine for a portable device like this as it adapts well to old titles and new titles (for me this is a PC on the go kind of situation so the library is not just super recent titles) not to repeat the point that going super high resolution for a gaming portable is a huge waste of battery life (keeps performance delta with the RoG Ally closer than the specs would dictate… rendering at non native screen resolutions and up scaling can help on the Ally but then you are making IQ worse).

Controls is the other thing: the Steam Deck is actually very comfortable and it invests in giving you a very flexible array of inputs: double trackpads, four back buttons, gyros+accelerometer, etc… it must have been hard to design the layout but I would not change it. The amount of work Valve put in the Proton / Wine compatibility layers, and the Steam Deck’s UI / System OS layer and all the improvements they keep bringing out (they were incredibly rapid to deliver the AMD driver bug for Starfield out right around the game’s launch) are worthy of praise. Still the best launcher I have used to date: the joy of finding an automatically applied game control mapping scheme or downloading one, customising it, and then re-sharing it with ease is hard to describe…

Last edited:

Pakoe

Is there an official SD thread of some sorts? Wondering what games people would recommend on playing on it.
Got a lot of Indie titles that were in my backlog anyway, but maybe I've missed some.

yay they shipped mine

Is there an official SD thread of some sorts? Wondering what games people would recommend on playing on it.
Got a lot of Indie titles that were in my backlog anyway, but maybe I've missed some.

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member

SteamDeckHQ is a good site to get some ideas - keep in mind their preference it to run games at under 10W if possible, so sometimes their ratings are more influenced on how well a game runs on settings that prolong the battery life.

Anything 4 or 5 stars is a safe bet if you're interested, and 3 is doable with caveats. ProtonDB is the main site to use to check compatibility but over all it's very very good. Especially for less demanding games. I had a blast re-visiting Clash of Heroes on the Deck recently, it's a fun puzzle / RPG spin-off from the Might and Magic games.

But games in the vein of Octopath Traveler 2 really shine, though of course you can run stuff like Baldur's Gate 3, which even uses HDR!

7l1G5Dpl.jpg

And you get that neat HDR heat-map overlay that shows you just how far the scenes are pushing the display which is pretty cool too.

So many HDR games to choose from too! Of course you can just as easily throw a normal game on the OLED - like Bioshock at 90fps with those great OLED blacks and perfect colors.

But if you just meant a regular deck, that same SteamDeckHQ site is a good start for sure, go through the 20+ odd pages of reviews and look for any well rated ones that interest you!

Still, I can't wait for my OLED deck, it's going to be so great getting to use essentially a perfect, HDR screen in handheld format! Something that is one-of-a-kind in the handheld world.

Last edited:
Just got my email from Steam yesterday stating that they were going to ship my Steam Deck OLED but after checking the order this morning, i.e. just now, it seems it has been shipped and from the Netherlands as, like TheDude108, I am also in the UK. No tracking number yet though.

Last edited:
Just checked and mine has been shipped. Probably be here Thursday or Friday (UK). They dispatched my other one from Netherlands and I'm assuming this will be the same.

Burger

SteamDeckHQ is a good site to get some ideas - keep in mind their preference it to run games at under 10W if possible, so sometimes their ratings are more influenced on how well a game runs on settings that prolong the battery life.

Anything 4 or 5 stars is a safe bet if you're interested, and 3 is doable with caveats. ProtonDB is the main site to use to check compatibility but over all it's very very good. Especially for less demanding games. I had a blast re-visiting Clash of Heroes on the Deck recently, it's a fun puzzle / RPG spin-off from the Might and Magic games.

But games in the vein of Octopath Traveler 2 really shine, though of course you can run stuff like Baldur's Gate 3, which even uses HDR!

7l1G5Dpl.jpg

And you get that neat HDR heat-map overlay that shows you just how far the scenes are pushing the display which is pretty cool too.

So many HDR games to choose from too! Of course you can just as easily throw a normal game on the OLED - like Bioshock at 90fps with those great OLED blacks and perfect colors.

But if you just meant a regular deck, that same SteamDeckHQ site is a good start for sure, go through the 20+ odd pages of reviews and look for any well rated ones that interest you!

Still, I can't wait for my OLED deck, it's going to be so great getting to use essentially a perfect, HDR screen in handheld format! Something that is one-of-a-kind in the handheld world.
What image analyser is that?

Delt31

I'm in the US and although a tracking number has been issued, says no delivery date yet.....anyone else with the same?

EDIT - ok now it shows weds. Sweet.

Last edited:
Anybody know if you got a tracking number would it allow you to cancel the order ? Things changed and valve can only refund it now if it gets rejected upon arrival or canclled with the carrier (im in the uk)

Anybody know if you got a tracking number would it allow you to cancel the order ? Things changed and valve can only refund it now if it gets rejected upon arrival or canclled with the carrier (im in the uk)
Unlikely that they'll allow you to cancel the order at this point as it's basically been shipped internally and waiting for GLS to grab it. You'll likely have to reject it on delivery or send it back to Valve.

CobraAB

Mine has shipped but no date given. Be great if Wed but probably more like Fri as Thur is Thanksgiving and no deliveries obviously.

My order is in the “packed” stage and awaiting shipment. Really hoping I can have it in hand before the holiday weekend so I can finish up sea of stars on a beautiful OLED display.

TVexperto

cancelled my order, cannot justify giving them more money after changing the steam regions from Turkey to US dollar

nikos

Just arrived. Setting it up now but it's immediately way too big for my liking, which I had already expected.

Poppyseed

Just arrived. Setting it up now but it's immediately way too big for my liking, which I had already expected.
Yeah it’s huge. I have big hands and still find it really large. The right side seems especially too big, for whatever reason.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I’m still holding strong, I’d like to get it closer to Christmas

that and the 512GB version since I don’t think the etched screen is a good idea for OLED

I always put screen protectors on my handhelds so the etched screen wasn't really a concern. I really like the look of the limited edition and I figured I'd probably regret not getting it even if it isn't really that "limited". Plus, the 1 TB SSD of course. Still a little overpriced for what it is, but I'm pretty happy with my decision.

Now I just gotta wait until after Black Friday to sell my Rog Ally. Prices are too low right now.

Last edited:
Top Bottom