• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Poppyseed

I dunno, the main UI, but not all the settings and popup menus, those are exclusive to Steam OS. And I know what Windows does, I have it on my PC. I have PCs everywhere, laptops, at work, and so forth, and there's always updates. Windows forces you to restart for their updates every month, and sometimes they just do it without even asking.

The VRR is nice, I am curious how the OLED 90 vs 120 LCD will feel, I think the bump to 90 on OLED will be very welcome in closing that smoothness gap between the devices.

But the colors on the OLED are simply going to outshine the Ally every single time. I am not even sure if I will bother buying Switch 2 anymore if they are really launching without OLED, I'll just sit it out and wait for the refresh this time around.

The Deck also is actually a gaming device, which is a big PLUS imo. Windows is not, though by default it is where everyone goes to play games, there is nothing saying Windows will make updates that don't negatively effect games in the future, while the Deck is gaming first, and only really. And the speed at which the Deck is evolving is very impressive, while Windows does very little update to update.
Windows is 100% designed for gaming (and other things). I can’t say I have an issue with that, and compatibility is just far greater because of it. Deck drove me nuts with the frustrations of running Epic and other things on it. Also VRR is a game changer. I can’t believe Valve didn’t get VRR in this refresh, - such a missed opportunity.

NeonDelta

You did well - I checked the price on Cex and it was £319 yesterday - went to trade it today and they reduced it to £169 overnight ffs! Still went ahead with it as what else am I gonna do with it.
That sucks. For future reference if you choose drop and go on the website I think the price is locked in for 3 days

Minsc

Gold Member
Windows is 100% designed for gaming (and other things). I can’t say I have an issue with that, and compatibility is just far greater because of it. Deck drove me nuts with the frustrations of running Epic and other things on it. Also VRR is a game changer. I can’t believe Valve didn’t get VRR in this refresh, - such a missed opportunity.

The weird thing about the Ally is to me is also now stands inbetween - You have the Deck on one side - let's call it the low end lol, and the Go on the other side - the high end. To me, the Go looks more interesting than the Ally - you have the ability to use the right stick as a mouse which is almost as novel as the trackpads, I think if you had to deal with Windows and wanted to use it for gaming that may potentially unlock a lot of games an analog stick wouldn't be the best at - like point and click adventures, some light strategy games where you can get away with mostly a mouse, etc.

Plus I think it's faster? And the screen is larger and better I believe, at least in Deck OLED comparisons - the Go hits very close to the OLED screen, more so than the Ally does.

Topher

Gold Member
The weird thing about the Ally is to me is also now stands inbetween - You have the Deck on one side - let's call it the low end lol, and the Go on the other side - the high end. To me, the Go looks more interesting than the Ally - you have the ability to use the right stick as a mouse which is almost as novel as the trackpads, I think if you had to deal with Windows and wanted to use it for gaming that may potentially unlock a lot of games an analog stick wouldn't be the best at - like point and click adventures, some light strategy games where you can get away with mostly a mouse, etc.

Plus I think it's faster? And the screen is larger and better I believe, at least in Deck OLED comparisons - the Go hits very close to the OLED screen, more so than the Ally does.

The Ally can use the right stick as a mouse. The advantage of the Go is primarily 1) the larger screen 2) the detachable controls for FPS mode. The problem with Go is the 1) Legion Space 2) poorly placed buttons. The memory of the Go is faster than the memory in Ally, but otherwise it is the same and you are not going to get a significant performance boost with the Go. Both Ally and Go have really good LCD screens. I think any difference is marginal except for size. The trade off is size for VRR.

Overall, all three of these handhelds have advantages over the others. Based on my own views watching reviews on youtube, I'd personally take the Steam Deck OLED over all of them, but Legion Go is the one I'd leave out entirely. I think the button placement would drive me batty. But Steam Deck with that OLED screen and substantially better battery, those are two crucial areas for a handheld and that pushes SD OLED to the top.

Minsc

Gold Member
The Ally can use the right stick as a mouse. The advantage of the Go is primarily 1) the larger screen 2) the detachable controls for FPS mode. The problem with Go is the 1) Legion Space 2) poorly placed buttons. The memory of the Go is faster than the memory in Ally, but otherwise it is the same and you are not going to get a significant performance boost with the Go. Both Ally and Go have really good LCD screens. I think any difference is marginal except for size. The trade off is size for VRR.

Overall, all three of these handhelds have advantages over the others. Based on my own views watching reviews on youtube, I'd personally take the Steam Deck OLED over all of them, but Legion Go is the one I'd leave out entirely. I think the button placement would drive me batty. But Steam Deck with that OLED screen and substantially better battery, those are two crucial areas for a handheld and that pushes SD OLED to the top.

Ah, I thought the Go had faster hardware too. But using an analog stick as a mouse is a miserable experience for me. I meant the Go's ability to literally turn the right controller in to an actual mouse that works like an actual mouse and is as precise as an actual mouse. That is pretty sweet and provides value to me. I mean sure you can just use a real mouse too, but having it build in to the handheld and not needing to have additional devices to perform the same functionality is neat.

But for me, I really like Steam OS, it makes the device feel like a real handheld to me, and the OLED screen is equally great. Performance is always relative. Ally is faster than the Deck, but the Deck 2 will be faster than the Ally, and the Ally 2 may be faster than the Deck 2 but the Deck 3 will be faster than the Ally 2 and so forth.

For me, there's hundreds, maybe thousands of games that run absolutely perfect on the Deck, and more releasing all the time, like Star Ocean R. and many others (I'm surprised even Tales of Arise runs great on the Deck). And when the Deck 2 releases, all of a sudden there's going to be hundreds and hundreds of games you have the abilty to play you couldn't before, same as the Ally 2, and 3 and so forth.

Last edited:

Killer8

Sold my current Deck and ordered the 512gb glossy OLED model. The price difference after that just felt like what I would've paid for an OLED drop-in screen mod, so was well worth pulling the trigger. Now the wait...

Klosshufvud

All this OLED circlejerk and nobody is mentioning the benefit of a 8,8' display over a mere 7,4' display. It makes a huge difference whether or not a high resolution asset game is actually playable or not. For that extra inch and half alone, GO's screen is decisively superior. Night and day going from 7' to 8'. Suddenly playing AAA games make sense on handheld.

Tarin02543

All this OLED circlejerk and nobody is mentioning the benefit of a 8,8' display over a mere 7,4' display. It makes a huge difference whether or not a high resolution asset game is actually playable or not. For that extra inch and half alone, GO's screen is decisively superior. Night and day going from 7' to 8'. Suddenly playing AAA games make sense on handheld.

ok but the go is a release and forget product.

Topher

Gold Member
Ah, I thought the Go had faster hardware too. But using an analog stick as a mouse is a miserable experience for me. I meant the Go's ability to literally turn the right controller in to an actual mouse that works like an actual mouse and is as precise as an actual mouse. That is pretty sweet and provides value to me. I mean sure you can just use a real mouse too, but having it build in to the handheld and not needing to have additional devices to perform the same functionality is neat.

But for me, I really like Steam OS, it makes the device feel like a real handheld to me, and the OLED screen is equally great. Performance is always relative. Ally is faster than the Deck, but the Deck 2 will be faster than the Ally, and the Ally 2 may be faster than the Deck 2 but the Deck 3 will be faster than the Ally 3 and so forth.

For me, there's hundreds, maybe thousands of games that run absolutely perfect on the Deck, and more releasing all the time, like Star Ocean R. and many others (I'm surprised even Tales of Arise runs great on the Deck). And when the Deck 2 releases, all of a sudden there's going to be hundreds and hundreds of games you have the abilty to play you couldn't before, same as the Ally 2, and 3 and so forth.

ah.....the detachable control thing. Personally, I'd rather use a real mouse. I've tried vertical mice before and just didn't care for it, but that's just me. I get your point though.

Performance only really matters if you are playing games that need it. I've been playing Great Ace Attorney on my Ally which certainly doesn't need that extra processing. So for that game Steam Deck would have been perfectly fine. Like OverHeat OverHeat said, there is a point where I'm just going to draw a line and play games that need that extra power on my gaming PC.

Probably because that extra screen space is not as important to others as it is to you and there are other factors.

Last edited:

Sleepwalker

I know what you mean but 8'8 can be a negative point for some, the go is s behemoth in size.

I was gonna get one, still probably will at some point but I'm not paying full price to beta test undercooked software while the competition (both sd and ally) are markedly cheaper. I'll jump on in when Lenovo starts discounting the thing and it has more updates under its belt.

Soodanim

I was sorely tempted to order an OLED yesterday, but realistically speaking if I get new hardware I want it to be for 60fps minimum, and I can put that significant chunk of money towards a new PC. But I'm sure I'd love an OLED model - I still want a Steam Controller 2 with all the SD's advancements over the SC.

Klosshufvud

I know what you mean but 8'8 can be a negative point for some, the go is s behemoth in size.

I was gonna get one, still probably will at some point but I'm not paying full price to beta test undercooked software while the competition (both sd and ally) are markedly cheaper. I'll jump on in when Lenovo starts discounting the thing and it has more updates under its belt.
Fair enough. But aren't Go and SD really similar in size?

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
My 512GB OLED shipped yesterday via UPS. Got an email with a tracking number.

wwe-triple-h.gif

StereoVsn

Go is slower vs Ally and that’s at higher average TDP. Look at some benchmarks on YouTube where Ally was shown to run faster in most games at 15W vs Go at 20W.

Ally also has VRR screen and Go doesn’t. Go is also more power hungry in general due to larger higher res screen which offsets larger battery.

Basically, IMO, Ally is better as a handheld, at least at this time. Once Lenovo patches up Go, it will be better as a hybrid, especially if you may connect it to a dock or external monitor when traveling.

Last edited:

CobraAB

You can by the Legion Go. Its a free country.

Shakka43

OLED circlejerk on a Steam Deck OLED thread...
Christmas Time Omg GIF by CBeebies HQ

Topher

Gold Member
Go is slower vs Ally and that’s at higher average TDP. Look at some benchmarks on YouTube where Ally was shown to run faster in most games at 15W vs Go at 20W.

Ally also has VRR screen and Go doesn’t. Go is also more power hungry in general due to larger higher res screen which offsets larger battery.

Basically, IMO, Ally is better as a handheld, at least at this time. Once Lenovo patches up Go, it will be better as a hybrid, especially if you may connect it to a dock or external monitor when traveling.

I didn't realize Ally performed better than Go. Interesting. The other aspect that is really important to me is the software. Armoury Crate is pretty damn good. Not as good as Steam OS except for the fact that AC will automatically pull in games from all launchers. Pretty cool. One of the things that turned me off to the Go was the custom software and the Lenovo "store". I don't know anyone who was looking for another store with any of these handhelds, much less one integrating into the software.

StereoVsn

I didn't realize Ally performed better than Go. Interesting. The other aspect that is really important to me is the software. Armoury Crate is pretty damn good. Not as good as Steam OS except for the fact that AC will automatically pull in games from all launchers. Pretty cool. One of the things that turned me off to the Go was the custom software and the Lenovo "store". I don't know anyone who was looking for another store with any of these handhelds, much less one integrating into the software.
Yep, I would have thought Go was faster due to larger device and possibly better cooling, but nope, that turned out to be false. And yeah, that store is pointless unless it’s aimed at Chinese customers or something.

rocketleague

Neo Member
some people have received the deck while ebay and stock X prices are at least $900.

it seems like we gonna wait at least couple of months before we can buy the steam from grey markets... I fucking hate valve so much man

Topher

Gold Member
some people have received the deck while ebay and stock X prices are at least $900.

it seems like we gonna wait at least couple of months before we can buy the steam from grey markets... I fucking hate valve so much man

You can't buy direct?

Minsc

Gold Member
People are saying the 512GB glossy is every last bit as good as you can imagine. And then some.

Damn, why do I have to have a tracking number that isn't even active. Oh well, it'll be next week probably Wed or Fri.

Mythoclast

This is why I might get the Go over the others. You just cant beat size, specially when its almost 30% larger.

Just like TVs, youll never regret getting the larger size vs slightly better PQ

Darko

LE OLED still available. LMAO I bet Valve had a ton prepared and was just trying to trick scalpers.
Not so limited edition
People are saying the 512GB glossy is every last bit as good as you can imagine. And then some.

Damn, why do I have to have a tracking number that isn't even active. Oh well, it'll be next week probably Wed or Fri.
link? I was waiting for a review to pull the trigger

Minsc

Gold Member
Not so limited edition

link? I was waiting for a review to pull the trigger

No reviews, just random posts and reddit comments, I think maybe tomorrow we'll see more, if not Monday for sure when deliveries resume. I actually prefer user posts to full reviews, sometimes I think the reviews get watered down to appease their audiences a bit.

Topher

Gold Member
Man.....still got the itch to buy this thing. Anyone used swappa.com before for selling anything? Much lower fees than ebay so I wouldn't take near the hit.

graywolf323

Man.....still got the itch to buy this thing. Anyone used swappa.com before for selling anything? Much lower fees than ebay so I wouldn't take near the hit.
I lucked out and sold my OG Deck to a friend

but I’m still trying to wait until after Christmas to buy the OLED, I’ve held strong for 48+ hours so far 😰

edit: I’ve sold some things on Swappa, it’s not bad

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
Fah Yes GIF by Foil Arms and Hog

giphy.gif

Top Bottom