• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steam Deck OLED Announced: Coming November 16

Topher

Gold Member
I dont know, I think they had quite a few on hand. Valve had mentioned that supply was very good.

Watched another YouTube video last night with a lot of emulation and they highlighted just how every single game looked better.
Kind of reminds me of how when you get a new pair of really nice speakers, you get new value from your whole music collection.
Same probably goes here with the oled screen, it enhances value to everything your have.

Sure and I'm not trying to say demand was poor, but I was expecting to see it sold out at some point like it was with the first launch. But I just went back and checked something. I noticed yesterday that shipping was showing 2-3 business days and now it is 6-10 business days. So yeah, I think you may be right and Valve has an improved supply channel where they can replenish stock faster and keep selling by pushing out the delivery date. Aside from the tech glitches at the very start, seems like pretty decent product launch.

OverHeat

« generous god »
mdz7fzA.png

TaroYamada

It’s still in stock.. wow. they either made a bunch of them or there’s not a huge demand
Yup, kind of tempted to downgrade to 512gb lol. But I do like the color and figure it will be a less common unit. Just wish it were actually limited. Weirdly it's at 1-2 weeks instead of the 2-4 weeks it was at, so maybe cancellations from people realizing it's not so limited?

ReBurn

Gold Member
I just picked up an OG 512 GB model from a coworker for $150 and I already sold It for $300. This new OLED model has already earned me $150 that I'll probably turn around and put into a 1 TB OLED. This Is nice.

Bry0

I just picked up an OG 512 GB model from a coworker for $150 and I already sold It for $300. This new OLED model has already earned me $150 that I'll probably turn around and put into a 1 TB OLED. This Is nice.
Man at $150 I would have just kept it and put windows on it as a secondary cod machine or something. You got a killer deal for a flip right there lol.

Delt31

Absolutely floored that the limited edition is still available - and even quicker to receive than yesterday?

I went 512gb and already have a 2tb HD ready to go for a swap. My order is still in processing FYI

I hope they‘ll bring a limited edition to the EU, it sucks that it‘s just available in the US (although I‘d prefer the 512gb screen anyway). But my plans changed anyway, not gonna buy a Steam Deck OLED until late january/early february when I‘ll be back from vacation.

Shakka43

Still on "Processed payment" for me.

I ordered the Dock Station earlier this month and it took a full week to arrive so I'm expecting a similar timeframe for the Deck.

Last edited:

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Mine says packaged now.

On a side note, asus ally dropped to $699 in Canada which is interesting. What a time to be alive. Lol

Topher

Gold Member
Because I was Always playing plug in since the battery life is crap, no quick resume…., windows update every time I wanted a quick game( I don’t mind on my pc but on a handheld hell no) etc

Gotcha. Yeah, battery life ain't good. I usually have a battery pack near by. Do like the performance though.

THE DUCK

voted poster of the decade by bots
Look at this false advertising on my Steam page, lol, look at the price next to the steam deck oled ad......

u7Pbnp0.jpg

StereoVsn

Ally at 20w can get you about 20-25% over Steam Deck at say 13-15w (realistically over 13w is generally pointless). That’s of course just SoC figures. In some games that matters as it pushes from say frame rates in the 20s to 30s and becomes better.

It’s same for say PS3, Xbox 360 or Switch emulation, Steam Deck won’t be great in some of the games.

All above said, Ally will blast through its battery in like 1.5 hours on those settings. For me personally it’s not too bad as I rarely have more than an hour or hour and a half to game in a row on a handheld (kids, wife, activities, etc). However for a lot of folks it’s certainly a deal breaker.

As far as the screen goes, Ally screen isn’t OLED, but it is a very good LCD screen with VRR. That also helps quite a bit.

All of the above said, and I really wish I sold my LCD deck when I got Ally now as I would have gotten OLED Deck no question, and now can’t justify it 😁.

Klosshufvud

Ally at 20w can get you about 20-25% over Steam Deck at say 13-15w (realistically over 13w is generally pointless). That’s of course just SoC figures. In some games that matters as it pushes from say frame rates in the 20s to 30s and becomes better.

It’s same for say PS3, Xbox 360 or Switch emulation, Steam Deck won’t be great in some of the games.

All above said, Ally will blast through its battery in like 1.5 hours on those settings. For me personally it’s not too bad as I rarely have more than an hour or hour and a half to game in a row on a handheld (kids, wife, activities, etc). However for a lot of folks it’s certainly a deal breaker.

As far as the screen goes, Ally screen isn’t OLED, but it is a very good LCD screen with VRR. That also helps quite a bit.

All of the above said, and I really wish I sold my LCD deck when I got Ally now as I would have gotten OLED Deck no question, and now can’t justify it 😁.
From what I've seen, the power difference is way beyond 25%. Atleast when going by the 7840U. The Phawx benchmarks showed that for modern games, difference could be as great as 70-100%. And like you say, the difference between a game being unplayable at low 20's and completely playable at high 30's.
If you're hurting for battery life, I can suggest going for 18W instead. 7840U hits diminishing returns territory past that point. But I also consider the battery (and maybe the display only being 7') the only Achilles heel of Ally. I'm using a 65Wh device and man does it make a difference playing at 20W and barely giving a crap about the battery display. It really transforms the handheld experience.

Minsc

Gold Member
From what I've seen, the power difference is way beyond 25%. Atleast when going by the 7840U. The Phawx benchmarks showed that for modern games, difference could be as great as 70-100%. And like you say, the difference between a game being unplayable at low 20's and completely playable at high 30's.
If you're hurting for battery life, I can suggest going for 18W instead. 7840U hits diminishing returns territory past that point. But I also consider the battery (and maybe the display only being 7') the only Achilles heel of Ally. I'm using a 65Wh device and man does it make a difference playing at 20W and barely giving a crap about the battery display. It really transforms the handheld experience.

I consider the lack of trackpads and the lack of OLED two more weaknesses, but I understand many prefer the lack of trackpads. Still, I think that is one of the things that makes the Deck stand out from the competition, besides the OS. Oh, and that's the third weakness, which again some find to be a strength, but for me Windows does not respect the expectations of a handheld experience.

OLED is pretty much a no-brainer though. Even though the LCD is better than the Deck's LCD, it's still got nothing on OLED.
Windows just pisses the crap out of me on a handheld with its updates and inability to reliably suspend and the UI not being meant for a 7" screen.
The trackpads are cool, even if they aren't completely necessary, I much prefer having them to not.

Last edited:

Poppyseed

I consider the lack of trackpads and the lack of OLED two more weaknesses, but I understand many prefer the lack of trackpads. Still, I think that is one of the things that makes the Deck stand out from the competition, besides the OS. Oh, and that's the third weakness, which again some find to be a strength, but for me Windows does not respect the expectations of a handheld experience.

OLED is pretty much a no-brainer though. Even though the LCD is better than the Deck's LCD, it's still got nothing on OLED.
Windows just pisses the crap out of me on a handheld with its updates and inability to reliably suspend and the UI not being meant for a 7" screen.
The trackpads are cool, even if they aren't completely necessary, I much prefer having them to not.
My Ally reliably suspends. It’s actually fantastic as it shuts fully off, boots in about 8 seconds or so, and I’m right back in the game with no battery drain like standby on a Deck/Switch etc. I prefer this. Plus I boot straight into Steam Big Picture mode so it’s the same, essentially, as the Deck UI, but with far more compatibility with games that are troublesome on Deck, ease of using Microsoft Gamepass games etc.

Also, playing Yakuza Zero at 1080p/120fps at 15W is lovely, and remember - 1080p is twice the resolution of 800p. It’s a significant sharpness difference. How I wish the Ally were OLED, though!

Last edited:

Minsc

Gold Member
My Ally reliably suspends. It’s actually fantastic as it shuts fully off, boots in about 8 seconds or so, and I’m right back in the game with no battery drain like standby on a Deck/Switch etc. I prefer this. Plus I boot straight into Steam Big Picture mode so it’s the same, essentially, as the Deck UI, but with far more compatibility with games that are troublesome on Deck, ease of using Microsoft Gamepass games etc.

Also, playing Yakuza Zero at 1080p/120fps at 15W is lovely.

I dunno, the main UI, but not all the settings and popup menus, those are exclusive to Steam OS. And I know what Windows does, I have it on my PC. I have PCs everywhere, laptops, at work, and so forth, and there's always updates. Windows forces you to restart for their updates every month, and sometimes they just do it without even asking.

The VRR is nice, I am curious how the OLED 90 vs 120 LCD will feel, I think the bump to 90 on OLED will be very welcome in closing that smoothness gap between the devices.

But the colors on the OLED are simply going to outshine the Ally every single time. I am not even sure if I will bother buying Switch 2 anymore if they are really launching without OLED, I'll just sit it out and wait for the refresh this time around.

The Deck also is actually a gaming device, which is a big PLUS imo. Windows is not, though by default it is where everyone goes to play games, there is nothing saying Windows will make updates that don't negatively effect games in the future, while the Deck is gaming first, and only really. And the speed at which the Deck is evolving is very impressive, while Windows does very little update to update.

Last edited:
Top Bottom