• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Yes god forbid you ask questions and engage in conversation about videogames in a videogame forum with people you probably care about...

Fucking hate "Google it" type replies.

Yeah....download speeds are currently fucked. Barely a trickle right now. My speed test shows I get something like 600+ Mbps down too (university internet, WOO!)

I WAS gonna try out Elder Scrolls Online (caved and paid for early unlock of Humble Monthly), but now I'm not sure what I want to play the rest of tonight.

Currently installed games I might be interested in are as follows:

-Dead Cells
-Skyrim Special Edition (though TBH I'm still waiting on SKSE/more mods to be ported to return to this - even simple modding is probably too much for one night)
-Endless Space 2
-Fallout 4
-Halycon 6: Lightspeed Edition
-Hyper Light Drifter
-Pillars of Eternity
-Civilization VI
-Stardew Valley
-Stellaris
-The Witcher 3

Those are all the ones I'm potentially up for playing that I either haven't started at all, or haven't finished (e.g. 19 hours into The Witcher 3).

Any particular recommendations SteamGAF?

I would say The Witcher 3. My favorite game of all time, especially if you have the expansions, which are amazing.

Jadax

Ah yeah I accidentally found a secret in the first five minutes haha, so I will probably be running around looking close to anything and everything.

Hah! Not that I see you all as my personal google, more like I do want to hear what you have to say.
btw I wasn't being a dick. Now that I read my msg it may seem like it.

I was just saying, it's a surprisingly big and 'complex' game - I recommend going over some first time tips if you don't want to get annoyed in-game. I wish I had, maybe then I wouldn't have gotten pissed off with some aspects of the game and quit before the end.

Yes god forbid you ask questions and engage in conversation about videogames in a videogame forum with people you probably care about...

Fucking hate "Google it" type replies.

To each his own. There's no problem with having a conversation about games on a 'gaming' forum, but my simply saying google tips doesn't mean I'm being a prick - if I was being that then I'd add a sarcastic comment or something. Ofc me linking a LMGTFY link might come off as that, but then that's the danger of online comments - you can never tell what's genuine and what's not.

If you don't want to use the technological resources at your disposal in this age then maybe the issue really isn't about hating "Google it" replies?

Parsnip

vHMvE5I.jpg

Freedom Cry, Rogue and Syndicate left. 😅😅

https://twitter.com/ClydeMandelin/status/916350654683033600

I wonder if Falcom is gonna notice the negative reaction to Ys VIII translation. Hey, maybe this means the PC version will have a fixed translation by the time it's out!

hah hah

It's really quite sad indeed.

Lain

Ah it's a long time since I woke up early on a Saturday, excited to play a game, bought Hollow Knight last night so going to finally play it. Any tips for someone going into it the first time?

Take it slow, there is no need to rush, and enjoy the atmosphere and vistas. Also be ready for some emotional ride.

Monooboe

btw I wasn't being a dick. Now that I read my msg it may seem like it.

I was just saying, it's a surprisingly big and 'complex' game - I recommend going over some first time tips if you don't want to get annoyed in-game. I wish I had, maybe then I wouldn't have gotten pissed off with some aspects of the game and quit before the end.

Ah no worries! I try to stay away from more elaborate guides and tips at first since I do want to avoid accidental spoilers.

Take it slow, there is no need to rush, and enjoy the atmosphere and vistas. Also be ready for some emotional ride.

Yeah I'm quite impressed with it so far, the look and feel of it is great!

Just played an hour of Warframe, and wow I can't believe it's a F2P game.

It's so polished and 300% different from what I played back in 2013 or so.

Looking forward to the open world update coming this week.

Goodbye, Destiny 2.

Anno

My wife for some reason suddenly wanted to watch the LotR trilogy for the first time this weekend. We watched the first movie tonight; she's long since gone to bed and I'm here just watching YouTube clips of the best moments of the series. It's been...hell a decade or more since I've watched more than a clip here and there and man does all of this hold up. I wish there were more games that could hold the same emotional weight that so many of these scenes do.

RE: Hollow Knight - savor it. It's a special game.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oh boy, Doki Doki Literature Club! came to Steam?

All I'm going to say, and this is probably saying too much, is it's not what it looks like. It came out on itch.io earlier this year.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm glad Cuphead is popular, but man why is many of its fanart so going against the artstyle of the game lol

Dusk Golem

Why is it not suitable for children or those who are easily disturbed?

Actual spoilers, like don't read this if you plan to play the game:
It's a straight-up horror game that begins to really start fucking around with your computer and fourth wall breaking elements and the game remembers things you did in previous playthroughs. But the game keeps up its moe art design to the point of it going around to become disturbing again with the 'moe' interpretation of pretty morbid stuff.

redlacs

cancelled humble monthly subscription and bought DOOM on cdkeys instead. with all the DLC unlocked now it seems like a nice deal

dex3108

vHMvE5I.jpg

Freedom Cry, Rogue and Syndicate left. 😅😅

Welcome to the club :D

Man people really have double standards on GAF. They are so pissed at merchant in AC Origins that sells chest with random loot but nobody ever mentioned that there is absolutely identical thing in Horizon Zero Dawn.

Worst part is definitely the loot boxes. But the download size, sexy Shelob, the sexy Shelob justification/"she's actually a hero, better than Galadriel"/etc, the true ending, and probably more I'm forgettable have been an unrelenting hellfire of bad news.

Like, the nemesis system was a cool idea, and a pokemon-esque system of collecting minions could be awesome... but not when it's twisted into monetisation targetting whales. It is a piece of mobile game design at the core of a AAA game; this should be a Dungeon Keeper iOS moment for the industry.

A cold, sobering look needs to be taken at the poisonous loot box craze sweeping video games.

That game, it's something, alright.

I'm sure Shadows of War is a fun game, but with all this baggage, I would feel like an idiot if I gave them $60+ for it. Would probably need to take a shower after Steam had completed that transaction.

Damn, some older Nioh threads are a fun read. Especially when BernardoOne is being called a port beggar for stating obvious shady wording as "in developpement exclusively for PS4", "console exclusive".

It's also funny some posters were claiming, at the time, that while a PC port may happen, it's not in developpment at the moment.

Kudo

Damn, some older Nioh threads are a fun read. Especially when BernardoOne is being called a port beggar for stating obvious shady wording as "in developpement exclusively for PS4", "console exclusive".

It's also funny some posters were claiming, at the time, that while a PC port may happen, it's not in developpment at the moment.

I admit taking part in those thread truly believing it was exclusive thanks to both Sonys and KTs own wording.
After this announcement only games I believe to be exclusive are Nintendos.

Dusk Golem

Because of Koei Tecmo, I never really did believe it was going to stay PS4 exclusive for too long.

I am hoping fucking Bloodborne comes to PC though at some point in the next couple years, been holding out for that. It may not happen, since it is Sony funded, but I can dream.

Kudo

Because of Koei Tecmo, I never really did believe it was going to stay PS4 exclusive for too long.

I am hoping fucking Bloodborne comes to PC though at some point in the next couple years, been holding out for that. It may not happen, since it is Sony funded, but I can dream.

That'll happen only if Sony doesn't want people to buy PS5 for Bloodborne 2 when it comes, at this point that's what I believe their strategy is.
"Every other 'exclusve', small moneyhat, Bloodborne? BIG moneyhat."

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

I'm a "Never say never" type of person, but Bloodborne PC is, well, never going to happen; both the IP and game itself are owned by Sony. I'd have a modicum of optimism if PS Now weren't a thing (I'm sure PS4 titles will be available eventually) and the PS5 weren't likely to be backwards-compatible, but such is the world we live in.

chinese paladin games have all been region blocked for me recently. Probably no intention to translate it into English. Cant even do what chinese people do and google translate "english please" and post it on the store page.

Dusk Golem

That'll happen only if Sony doesn't want people to buy PS5 for Bloodborne 2 when it comes, at this point that's what I believe their strategy is.
"Every other 'exclusve', small moneyhat, Bloodborne? BIG moneyhat."

I'm a "Never say never" type of person, but Bloodborne PC is, well, never going to happen; both the IP and game itself are owned by Sony. I'd have a modicum of optimism if PS Now weren't a thing (I'm sure PS4 titles will be available eventually) and the PS5 weren't likely to be backwards-compatible, but such is the world we live in.

Deep in my heart I know this to be true, especially since the closest comparison is Demon Souls, which hasn't come off the PS3 yet itself.

But I want to believe.

Tizoc

Jase sometimes it helps to let insanity be your compass.
Bloodborne will one day get a PC release, just as Wheelman will get a proper re-release on modern platforms. Someday.

Kudo

Honestly what the hell is up with Steam, it's been more than 10 hours now and they still haven't fixed their servers? I can't download games and there's many posts on the Steam Reddit people having the same issue.
PUBG finally broke Steam?

Dusk Golem

Honestly what the hell is up with Steam, it's been more than 10 hours now and they still haven't fixed their servers? I can't download games and there's many posts on the Steam Reddit people having the same issue.

I loosely want to believe that it may be the internal workings of Steam, but it could be anything.

Earlier this week the internal side of Steam updated its look with a few new functions, it was acting up a bit before this update as well. But it could just as easily be something else entirely, like a DDOS attack or some issue occurring within some server somewhere. I also think they may save the visual and function update for the Steam Store until one of the upcoming major sales (while I love the Halloween Sale, more likely it's be the Autumn or Winter Sale).

D

Deleted member 98878

Unconfirmed Member
ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wargame: Red Dragon -- MB-88762039EE554B47 - Taken by Vuze. 10 entrants total.

t1507373961z1.png

Just played an hour of Warframe, and wow I can't believe it's a F2P game.

It's so polished and 300% different from what I played back in 2013 or so.

Looking forward to the open world update coming this week.

Goodbye, Destiny 2.

The open world launches next week, I think.

It's a very exciting time to be a Tenno.

Maxwood

Oh rock of ages, do not crumble, love is breathing still. Oh lady moon shine down, a little people magic if you will.
Welcome to the club :D

Man people really have double standards on GAF. They are so pissed at merchant in AC Origins that sells chest with random loot but nobody ever mentioned that there is absolutely identical thing in Horizon Zero Dawn.
Those can only be purchased with in-game currency. Big difference.

And you really don't need any of them.

EDIT: Looks like AC Origins might be the same.
Eh, I don't get what all the fuzz is about. As long as it doesn't influence the game's balance i'm fine with it, quite simple to ingore.

Monooboe

Alright, you guys were right, Hollow Knight IS great!:D Even though I can't play all the AAA heavy hitters, it is an awesome year for games. Also glad that most of the interesting indie games usually are playable on Mac.

Some people just never get it, their view is shrpuded by their fanboyism. See that poster in Nioh PC announcement thread.

The open world launches next week, I think.

It's a very exciting time to be a Tenno.

I'm guessing it's a higher level content. So hopefully I'll be ready when it's out.

Those can only be purchased with in-game currency. Big difference.

And you really don't need any of them.

EDIT: Looks like AC Origins might be the same.
Eh, I don't get what all the fuzz is about. As long as it doesn't influence the game's balance i'm fine with it, quite simple to ingore.

It' exactly the same thing as in Horizon. You can buy a random loot chest from the merchants using in-game money.

Dusk Golem

I recognise the name of Doki Doki Literature Club but don't know a thing about it.

Guess I should play it. Is it long?

Not too long, though you should play it more than once and there's more after the credits are done rolling. A single playthrough is only about an hour or two though.

I'm more worried about the disk space than the download time at this point, too many games installed (data caps sound like hell on earth, I don't know how some of you guys cope).

I never get people who install everything on their drives.

Why don't they just play one game at a time and uninstall after it's finished?

It's like adding an unnecesary problem to themselves.

KainXVIII

Oh cool the download size for shadow of war is going around, wonder how big it.....
DLer5_9VAAAE_Rz.jpg

J5aNA.gif

I guess some developers are saying screw data caps and download speeds at this point, give them that uncompressed goodness!!

What is data cap?
sorry, we don't have that thing for ages 😀
But this 100gb will be better spent on Nioh download 🤗

Lain

Because when you want to play Game X, you gotta download and install it. Then as you're going through it, you feel like playing Game Y instead, and you gotta download and install it.
As nice as many games are, not every game is so addictive as to keep you glued the whole time, instead making you want to go for a different taste here and there, sometimes to a taste you have already eaten whole in the past.
With bigger sizes for games and many more releases coming out daily, if you're not the type to beat and forget, keeping everything that interests you installed to your drive is faster to get you to play what you want when you want, especially when internet speed (and data caps for some) are bigger issues than HDD space, though HDD space becomes an issue too when games keep growing in size, at which point backing games to external drives seems like the obvious choice for slow internet people (like me).

Long shot, but has anyone played Warhammer 40k Inquisitor Martyr? It's been a longtime dream to play a scifi/futuristic Diablo-like ARPG. It looks pretty good from videos, but $50 for the early access is a bit much imo.

Just curious if anyone has impressions.

Assassins Creed IV: Black Flag being the last game I played (not due lack of interest, mind; the rest are simply not within my purchasing range yet), can I get an enlightenment on how micro-transactions work in Unity and Syndicate?

I know that Brotherhood and up has it for cosmetic multiplayer stuff and Black Flag also has it for ship material (which I only found out after I finished the game...), but the latest two games don't have multiplayer and ships, right?

Ascheroth

Because when you want to play Game X, you gotta download and install it. Then as you're going through it, you feel like playing Game Y instead, and you gotta download and install it.
As nice as many games are, not every game is so addictive as to keep you glued the whole time, instead making you want to go for a different taste here and there, sometimes to a taste you have already eaten whole in the past.
With bigger sizes for games and many more releases coming out daily, if you're not the type to beat and forget, keeping everything that interests you installed to your drive is faster to get you to play what you want when you want, especially when internet speed (and data caps for some) are bigger issues than HDD space, though HDD space becomes an issue too when games keep growing in size, at which point backing games to external drives seems like the obvious choice for slow internet people (like me).
Yes, and also:
Some games aren't "beat and forget", but games that are nice just to hop in for a few rounds now and then.
Some games you beat but they optional/post-game stuff and while you have enough right now, you think "I'll probably get to that sometime".
Some games I keep around because I want to show them to a friend that comes over.
Some games I keep around because they're co-op and I can't play them all the time.

I'd rather keep games installed if they have more than a few GB size instead of uninstalling them only to get in the mood of playing it again only to realize the download takes hours and after it's done I don't have time anymore.
Ironically because of that, the bigger a game is the less I want to delete it...

JarrodL

What if you don't feel like playing that particular game on that particular day?

I don't install everything, but I always keep several games I intend to play next (or return to playing from before) installed to keep my options open.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Flips360, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- No need to thank me. Please don't post thank you messages in thread or in PM.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wargame: Red Dragon -- MB-88762039EE554B47 - Taken by Vuze. 10 entrants total.

t1507373961z1.png

Yes, and also:
Some games aren't "beat and forget", but games that are nice just to hop in for a few rounds now and then.
Some games you beat but they optional/post-game stuff and while you have enough right now, you think "I'll probably get to that sometime".
Some games I keep around because I want to show them to a friend that comes over.
Some games I keep around because they're co-op and I can't play them all the time.

I'd rather keep games installed if they have more than a few GB size instead of uninstalling them only to get in the mood of playing it again only to realize the download takes hours and after it's done I don't have time anymore.
Ironically because of that, the bigger a game is the less I want to delete it...

What if you don't feel like playing that particular game on that particular day?

I don't install everything, but I always keep several games I intend to play next (or return to playing from before) installed to keep my options open.

I dunno, that's just not how I usually play my games. I'm usually infested in one game until the end. If I lost interest midway, I'll just uninstall it and move on to another game. And when I want to go back to that game, I'll just reinstall it. It won't take more than a night and my internet is only maxed out at 2mb/s download speed. At worst, I'll be able to play it after I'm back from work. Also, we can still play other games while waiting for the download to finish, this is usually the case on weekends for me. I do understand when it comes to online/multiplayer games though. It's nice to jump from one to another. But when it comes to single player games, I think it's best to finish them in one go.

For me, it all comes down to self-control and a little bit of patience.

Top Bottom