• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | Discussion Thread - Everyone's favorite PC Platform

Hektor

Kinda not a friend of how the vortex campaign in Total Warhammer 2 works. I like the concept of racing for a goal against other races, but that the only challenge in the actual ritual itself is just the game spawning a bunch of big, random chaos units somewhere in your area is kinda lame. There's basically no way to properly halt their assault or stall because they'll ignore everyone else on their way to you and most likely will raze a bunch of your cities before you even have your army collected together.

Either they should

a) make it possible to prepare for their attack (the same way it worked TWH1), so you can make a defense plan, knowing from which ways they are approaching
b) or spawn them at several different locations so you have a bunch of smaller battles instead

Tho, i'd prefer the former cos big battles are awesome.

Ruruja

Spares.

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away 3 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Ruruja, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a LIGHTNING raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 15 minutes after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink -- MB-5A1FD4ABAEBA605D - Taken by KenOD. 1 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep 2: The Siren's Call -- MB-C4A6C14FCF9388B3 - Taken by voodooray. 2 entrants total.
Nightmares from the Deep: The Cursed Heart -- MB-49AA6A4F45BDCAE4 - Taken by Dec. 1 entrants total.

t1507322757z1.png

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
theres Furi in a monthly, as expected. Super happy about Seasons After Fall and Orwell tho.

Next month's showcase games are...weird.

illusionary

A spare from the recent bundle:

ModBot said:
Instructions for participants:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (illusionary, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes -- MB-A5B1ED4AAD997B53 - Taken by MushroomSamba. 3 entrants total.

t1507332799z1.png

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Teggy, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 36 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.

ModBot Basics:
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Teggy, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

t1cxE6r.gif
Wargame: Red Dragon -- MB-2EA60C140954F7B0 - Taken by Javier23. 8 entrants total.
A Virus Named Tom -- MB-980A5B8B604CD084
Ballistick -- MB-850ADA29B851887B
Beat Hazard Ultra -- MB-7E2C848311422BF8
Betrayer -- MB-1858247A58DCFACF - Taken by Madventure. 3 entrants total.
Chroma Squad -- MB-62835F56D72CCEFC
Dangerous High School Girls in Trouble -- MB-B562AAC9734E4622 - Taken by dave is ok. 2 entrants total.
Dino D-Day -- MB-7D03D08C0329B546 - Taken by laserlaser. 1 entrants total.
Dub Dash -- MB-AE5DDE93C8A807FA
Dusty Revenge: Coop Edition -- MB-DADC70C8C83D2A9C - Taken by longlivegaming. 1 entrants total.
Furi -- MB-97073AAE31696EF4 - Taken by madjoki. 31 entrants total.
GRAV -- MB-642E838C8ABBD1FA - Taken by crimsonheadGCN. 1 entrants total.
Guacamelee! Gold Edition -- MB-843C5473BC207308
Guns of Icarus Online -- MB-5973916AFCEFEF91
Hand of Fate -- MB-BBF438D45E156C30 - Taken by arts&crafts. 9 entrants total.
Hordelicious -- MB-0BE7001A97313C38 - Taken by Dangerblade. 1 entrants total.
JumpJet Rex -- MB-7BCB56D809D393CD
Kraven Manor -- MB-E440DE044645614B - Taken by FeedMeAStrayCat. 1 entrants total.
Luna's Wandering Stars -- MB-3A8F79B369DE15E3
Nikopol: Secrets of the Immortals -- MB-DA12F18353C6B51B - Taken by DaBargainHunta. 2 entrants total.
No Time To Explain -- MB-65A054B2DEE93E24
Overture -- MB-44F6637F46A436D4
Potatoman Seeks The Troof -- MB-A332D46B4F96CD82
Q.U.B.E: Director's Cut -- MB-4538FF774C6CAA78
RIP Trilogy -- MB-33EE6CEA8BA0DFCF
Rituals -- MB-D6095C2428160064
Robot Roller Derby Disco Dodgeball -- MB-51217FBC60A581F1
Rocket Birds: Hardboiled Chicken -- MB-9F9CAF491B91293B
Scanner Sombre -- MB-B4AB342A8B69633F - Taken by MissChief. 10 entrants total.
Super Galaxy Squadron EX -- MB-F67C2B8A0DEA5188 - Taken by nightstorm. 5 entrants total.
Super Hexagon -- MB-DC46CAB972725A7F
TIMEframe -- MB-2568B115048D5155 - Taken by Father_Brain. 1 entrants total.
Team Indie -- MB-D639DE0BE94329A2 - Taken by WinterDemons. 1 entrants total.
The Shrouded Isle -- MB-A24537416F22F867 - Taken by illusionary. 16 entrants total.
The Stanley Parable -- MB-7B2396D36E8DECDF - Taken by chadskin. 9 entrants total.
shutshimi -- MB-FDFB7A2B0030FC29 - Taken by Ludens. 1 entrants total.

By the way, there were some errors processing your keys...
Note: One or more keys you added were already listed in ModBot from a previous giveaway of yours, but was not taken. Updating key info to match new giveaway.

t1507325890z1.png

Dec

The new (not new) Thief is actually pretty alright. It's very atmospheric and the world is pretty interesting. Obviously the gameplay with movement being context sensitive is not very free-flowing. The stealth encounters don't have ways to creatively clear them, they are more like puzzles I guess.

I think completely on it's own it's fine. I was not expecting much based on impressions I'd seen, though.

Kudo

Tips and help needed, I'm trying to re-install Gurumin but firstly it takes a while in the "Preparing" stage and completely stops downloading at 99.4 MB, what's going on?
Tried to clear cache and delete downloading folder, no help.

Just got back from watching Blade Runner a couple of hours ago. It's really good. Definitely check it out if you are a fan of the first movie and/or Villeneuve's previous work.

Putting Quake Champions in the monthly is a smart move. The Steam player count for the game hasn't been particularly amazing so this should hopefully give it a good boost.

I'm curious about one thing though... if I were to redeem the Quake key on my account, will that stop me from buying the full champion's pack down the line? Can anyone who has redeemed the key check if you are still able to purchase the full game? Thanks.

Pretty much the entire monthly bundle looks great to me and I don't think I have any of 'em (well except Wargames.. THANKS LASHLEY! :) )

Some day I'll be back on my feet and able to afford fucking $12 for a Humble Monthly. Gah.

JarrodL

I'm getting my ass kicked in KI Shadow Lords mode. I don't like that boosts are "consumable", I'm barely betting easy bots without them, and booster packs prices are too high. On the other side, you can restart mode any time and all your stuff will stay in new run, and i love that XCOM-like geoscape with missions select around the world, also those small text quests before fights are nice too. I guess i'll stick with regular story mode and solo battles until i'll learn characters and how to do ultracombo and other combobreakers whatever

It gets considerably easier after you get at least 2 higher quality guardians - their abilities and defense/damage boosts should help quite a bit. The one that gives you armor (don't remember the name) is very good in almost any situation, and essential against other opponents with armor (such as Gargos himself). But yeah, that mode can be tough, especially in the later stages when you start getting lots of hard tier 3 opponents.

Ludens

Banned
This month was good, three games from my wish (even if Tomb Raider is not complete). The next month is not good for now, ESO was heavily discounted several times, Quake Champions is pretty much a beta and the monthly pack doesn't even give you a discount over the full game.

Orgen

Nice monthly bundle, unfortunately I don't think I'll renew it for next month. If I cancel my subscription I lose my 10% discount?

By the way, Stories Untold is on sale (66%, best price ever for the game).

Catshade

As a single-player gamer, this month's Humble Monthly is a lil bit disappointing. Hopefully we won't get more MMOs in the future...

Mivey

At least they just messes up an Ys game. The story there is something you might as well turn off as a menu option.
Imagine if they had done this to Cold Steel III.

Sweet bundle this month, next month....not for me. I already have ESO, if this was the gold edition I may have bit but I dont need all the F2P stuff personally (quake, ESO and ESL) will probably go on hold this month.

venomenon

So I just gave away a key for a game that I already own and the key has been redeemed by the recipient. If I try to redeem the key again, Steam tells me that I already own the game. Has it always been like this? Shouldn't it tell me that the key is invalid instead? Is there any way to check if the key has actually been redeemed?

So I just gave away a key for a game that I already own and the key has been redeemed by the recipient. If I try to redeem the key again, Steam tells me that I already own the game. Has it always been like this? Shouldn't it tell me that the key is invalid instead? Is there any way to check if the key has actually been redeemed?

I think it has always been this way. It probably checks first, if you own the game and 2nd if it is valid. Although that doesnt make sense as when you put the key in it doesnt know what game it is before checking if the key is valid now that I think about it.

So guess what, Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection now has its Steam page.

At least they just messes up an Ys game. The story there is something you might as well turn off as a menu option.
Imagine if they had done this to Cold Steel III.
VIII really expands the amount of required and optional story in an Ys game, mainly because there's just much more to explore in the game's setting than in Celceta or Seven before VIII. So delivering a mediocre, relatively insulting localization (on top of over-promising the PC simultaneous launch and apparently rushing the port itself) shows how desperate NISA is to cheap out while presumably taking the whole pile of Falcom's upcoming games. I'd be happy with XSEED holding to Trails for dear life, but they're getting close to offering what NISA did for Ys VIII (day-and-date launch, Europe, French TL based on English script, nice LE, etc) while having much better localization standards.

venomenon

I think it has always been this way. It probably checks first, if you own the game and 2nd if it is valid. Although that doesnt make sense as when you put the key in it doesnt know what game it is before checking if the key is valid now that I think about it.
I'm about 80% sure that you used to get the "invalid" message once the key was redeemed, whether you owned the game or not. I occasionally give away keys in Twitch chat (don't judge me kappa) and I'm pretty sure this was the way I checked whether a key had been taken or not. Noticed this for the first time about a month ago when someone called me out for re-posting a key for a game that had apparently already been redeemed.

Teggy

Free Chroma Squad and Guacamelee (among other less interesting fare) up for grabs still in my giveaway that ended.

edit: also, it seems at least one of the keys was used. If that also happened to you let me know.

Free Chroma Squad and Guacamelee (among other less interesting fare) up for grabs still in my giveaway that ended.

edit: also, it seems at least one of the keys was used. If that also happened to you let me know.

Tried getting guacamelee and it didn’t work so it’s prob that one!

Also, chroma squad is so good. Someone take it.

Mivey

But 8 apparently has a really good story.

So guess what, Zwei: The Ilvard Insurrection now has its Steam page.

VIII really expands the amount of required and optional story in an Ys game, mainly because there's just much more to explore in the game's setting than in Celceta or Seven before VIII. So delivering a mediocre, relatively insulting localization (on top of over-promising the PC simultaneous launch and apparently rushing the port itself) shows how desperate NISA is to cheap out while presumably taking the whole pile of Falcom's upcoming games. I'd be happy with XSEED holding to Trails for dear life, but they're getting close to offering what NISA did for Ys VIII (day-and-date launch, Europe, French TL based on English script, nice LE, etc) while having much better localization standards.
Well, at least the gameplay would still make it enjoyable, even if they messed up the full potential of the game for the west.

Well, at least the gameplay would still make it enjoyable, even if they messed up the full potential of the game for the west.
Can't deny that! I just wish the PC port developers had an easier time working on this project.

Somewhat OT, but Sara @ XSEED recently summarized why Xanadu Next's been having new bugs not found in the Japanese release (with fan translation). This makes me a little apprehensive thinking about technical challenges for Dinosaur: Reusrrection when XSEED inevitably localizes that.

Teggy

Tried getting guacamelee and it didn't work so it's prob that one!

Also, chroma squad is so good. Someone take it.

Hm, not sure why it wouldn't give guacamelee, that's a new key I added today. The person who had an issue was able to get the key, it just didn't redeem. It was a key that I had put up before, so it must have gotten redeemed somehow since then.

Hm, not sure why it wouldn’t give guacamelee, that’s a new key I added today. The person who had an issue was able to get the key, it just didn’t redeem. It was a key that I had put up before, so it must have gotten redeemed somehow since then.

Weird! I probably messed up entering or something. No worries!

Can't deny that! I just wish the PC port developers had an easier time working on this project.

Somewhat OT, but Sara @ XSEED recently summarized why Xanadu Next's been having new bugs not found in the Japanese release (with fan translation). This makes me a little apprehensive thinking about technical challenges for Dinosaur: Reusrrection when XSEED inevitably localizes that.

At least Sara isn't giving up yet but yeah, seems like modernizing old Falcom PC games is going to be a hassle.

Hm, not sure why it wouldn’t give guacamelee, that’s a new key I added today. The person who had an issue was able to get the key, it just didn’t redeem. It was a key that I had put up before, so it must have gotten redeemed somehow since then.

Has there been a ModBot garbage dump (not by a user, ModBot does a thing every once in awhile where you send a PM and get a batch of random things that may or may not work) since you first put in the key? Somebody may have got it that way?

Teggy

Has there been a ModBot garbage dump (not by a user, ModBot does a thing every once in awhile where you send a PM and get a batch of random things that may or may not work) since you first put in the key? Somebody may have got it that way?

I put the “my loot” request in right before I set up the giveaway so I assume if that was the case the key wouldn’t have come back in the results.

Top Bottom