• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is Modbot feeling better yet?

hes-dead.gif

The ModBot incident

Eternia

game?

I assume Atelier, but you say 50 hours so Im kinda hoping its not Atelier because that scares me if so

what are you playing?
Whoops, yeah it's Atelier. Let's just say I got carried away grinding "a little" too much for items I didn't really need. There was something to enhancing my gear further or crafting entirely new gear mindset I got stuck into. I would have been better off pushing forward instead.

zkylon

zkylewd
tLWMMYm.png

ok now truly finished persona 4, hidden ending and all

it's hard to judge this game, all the elements that made persona 3 one of my favorite games are present here, and i like the direction they went with the small town murder case, but i just feel it doesn't work

like, the fun of a murder mystery story lies in unraveling the case, of following leads and making guesses on motives and suspects and all that stuff, but persona 4 copies the p3's "wait until shit happens" structure and it just doesn't really work nearly as well here. it just doesn't feel like it suits a murder mystery story cos you're put in such a passive position, and the game moves at a crawling pace that just felt like nothing ever happened. the game doesn't throw suspects and ideas your way, you just rescue people and make tiny bits of progress to understanding who gets kidnapped, not even why or how

the game moves forward a whole lot when naoto joins the crew and you get a real detective on your team. i feel like naoto should've been in the team from the beginning. like yozuke is pretty cool, but fuck you yosuke, with naoto in our team from the get go we could've solved this mystery in 20 hours or less...

the cases also being tied to main characters means that they often get to have their big dramatic moments when you recruit them, and then they're pretty much "solved" characters. in p3 junpei and akihiko and fuuka and whatnot got to fight their inner demons and all that crap, here chie deals with her confidence issues in the first dungeon and then that's it. these characters deserve better, kanji and naoto and yozuke in particular have real personal struggles that the game devotes one cutscene to and then brushes off forever. it's really formulaic and monotone, and i feel that's what happens to the whole game, it just feels like it's too bound to persona 3 rules to get the most out of its setting and its plot, so it ends up lacking surprises and a real feeling of investigation (unless you count the bits where you're told to, you know, just talk to EVERY NPC IN THE FUCKING TOWN because that's a lot of fun...)

it's a real bummer cos that awesome gameplay loop of dungeon crawling + anime dating is still one of my favorite things ever and this game just doesn't do it justice

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Is Modbot feeling better yet?

See title, I will update when it's fixed.

Last update ~10PM eastern with:
<my name>,

We will check and update you on this, please standby.

Thank you.
---------------
Roger K.
Technical Support,

YES THANK YOU 12 HOURS OF DOWNTIME

If it's not up during the day tomorrow I can turn giveaways back on, but they'll be missing past records (i.e. new giveaways and claims will work, but you won't be able to check your history or see unclaimed stuff or whatever)

the cases also being tied to main characters means that they often get to have their big dramatic moments when you recruit them, and then they're pretty much "solved" characters. in p3 junpei and akihiko and fuuka and whatnot got to fight their inner demons and all that crap, here chie deals with her confidence issues in the first dungeon and then that's it. these characters deserve better, kanji and naoto and yozuke in particular have real personal struggles that the game devotes one cutscene to and then brushes off forever. it's really formulaic and monotone, and i feel that's what happens to the whole game, it just feels like it's too bound to persona 3 rules to get the most out of its setting and its plot, so it ends up lacking surprises and a real feeling of investigation (unless you count the bits where you're told to, you know, just talk to EVERY NPC IN THE FUCKING TOWN because that's a lot of fun...)

it's a real bummer cos that awesome gameplay loop of dungeon crawling + anime dating is still one of my favorite things ever and this game just doesn't do it justice

Unlike in Persona 3 where they develop along with plot progression, the personal struggles of the Persona 4 party members are put into their Social Links. It's a misstep, I think, because instead of the party members actually affect and helping each other pulling through (like Mitsuru-Yukari and Akihiko-Ken do), it feels instead that all of them are too dependent on the super competent MC.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
today I learned that hidden object games are known as HOGs amongst the community.

which makes sense but still made me laugh :(

this year I vouch to play one of those, and a VN, and a 4X game. I want to broaden my videogame horizon before I get hit by a bus or something.

zkylon

zkylewd
i'll try to play a steam game next

but no promises

Unlike in Persona 3 where they develop along with plot progression, the personal struggles of the Persona 4 party members are put into their Social Links. It's a misstep, I think, because instead of the party members actually affect and helping each other pulling through (like Mitsuru-Yukari and Akihiko-Ken do), it feels instead that all of them are clinging to the super competent MC.
that's an interesting take, and yeah, i agree it's a missed opportunity

like the shit junpei goes through in p3 is great, it's like a big story arc for the game and he gets a lot of build up time and really good payoff and it's just really enjoyable for that

meanwhile naoto who's my favorite character in the game barely gets any time to develop, by the time naoto's added to ur party that issue is waved off and the social link stuff is very forgettable and kinda goes nowhere

naoto deserved a junpei-like story arc, as did kanji and yosuke and all these other great characters

today I learned that hidden object games are known as HOGs amongst the community.

this year I vouch to play one of those, and a VN, and a 4X game. I want to broaden my videogame horizon before I get hit by a bus or something.
i recommend analogue: a hate story for visual novels

i dislike visual novels but i like that game so it must be good

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
the only VN I will even consider playing is either the Danganronpa games, or that Morgana one, and only because I hear its fucked up.

I actually played the first Analogue, well, I got one of the endings, and it did nothing for me, its partial responsible for my dislike of the genre.

the only VN I will even consider playing is either the Danganronpa games, or that Morgana one, and only because I hear its fucked up.

I actually played the first Analogue, well, I got one of the endings, and it did nothing for me, its partial responsible for my dislike of the genre.

People need to realize that its actually more like a novel than a game. I mean its a novel with (often) VA, backgrounds, sounds, but you are still reading.

So some VNs have good stories, some not so much.

zkylon

zkylewd

yipes

well i'm no advocate for the genre so no biggie :>

Rhaknar

People need to realize that its actually more like a novel than a game. I mean its a novel with (often) VA, backgrounds, sounds, but you are still reading.

What do you want me to realize? What you said is precisely why I dont like the genre, because the stories do nothing for me (to put it lightly, as to not offend anyone).

Dangan at least is bizarre and a murder story so thay could be cool. And Morgana was off my radar but now peoplr are saying how fucked up it is so im curious.

Tizoc

For vns check danganronpa 1 at least
For hidden object, jahackles at least nows a few good ones

What do you want me to realize? What you said is precisely why I dont like the genre, because the stories do nothing for me (to put it lightly, as to not offend anyone).

Dangan at least is bizarre and a murder story so thay could be cool. And Morgana was off my radar but now peoplr are saying how fucked up it is so im curious.
But you spent about a year reading marvel comics
Playing thru visual novels is like reading thru a manga or comic

Rhaknar

For vns check danganronpa 1 at least
For hidden object, jahackles at least nows a few good ones

We have an actual professional HOG expert around here thank you very much.

But thats like saying "I didnt like Game of Thrones, so I dont like TV-shows at all."

There is as many genres in the VN genre as there are tv-show genres. You have detective stories, fucked up stuff like Fata Morgana, Higurashi or Saya no Uta, Scifi-operas, action-stuff, Slice of Life, Romance etc.
I mean I can undestand it if someone doesnt like to "read" a lot of text or stuff like that. But the genres are really diverse.

Teggy

This is pretty much exactly why I don't like VNs at all. I actually like books a lot, and one line at a time, even with auto turned on, is a really inefficient and often frustrating way to absorb a book.

Rhaknar

But thats like saying "I didnt like Game of Thrones, so I dont like TV-shows at all."

There is as many genres in the VN genre as there are tv-show genres. You have detective stories, fucked up stuff like Fata Morgana, Higurashi or Saya no Uta, Scifi-operas, action-stuff, Slice of Life, Romance etc.
I mean I can undestand it if someone doesnt like to "read" a lot of text or stuff like that. But the genres are really diverse.

Youre not technically wrong, but come on dude you know what I mean. When someone asks "What genre is Blazblue?" people reply "fighting game" even tho are are many different genres of fighting games. Same for racing games.

I dont like the idea of non-interactive games, novels, whatever you want to call them, it feels like a half step between a manga and anime. I would rather just read a comic or a manga for that, or watch anime. But like I said im willing to give one of those two a try.

There is this person who wears a hat, can't remember his name. I just remember an avatar of someguyinahat.

:p
Our hatter guy is gonna hate you now man.

Even the wow player knows more about the people in the thread than you do Tizoc, good lord.

Arthea

game?

I assume Atelier, but you say 50 hours so Im kinda hoping its not Atelier because that scares me if so

Atelier games aren't long but! they are as long as you are interested in exploring alchemy, I for example am at 80 hours in Sophie and I'm not done yet. Then again alchemy in this one is very complex, usually the playtime is split between hunting materials and doing alchemy, in this game alchemy takes much more time than gathering ingredients, because you have so many factors and variables: different starting boards with different nodes, different sizes of materials, different elemental properties to consider, and quality, and effects and traits, add this all to multiple cauldrons with different properties, no time in the world is enough.
Then again if you don't go out of you way exploring that and perfecting items you probably can be done in 40 hours or so, maybe even less, although you probably will have to play on easy if you ignore alchemy, not sure how really easy it is, I haven't tried. And yet again why anybody even consider ignoring alchemy?

Really who? I just recall jshackles mentioning a few and that's about the most I remember far as HOG on these threads are concerned :p

that's cold, man, you just admitted not reading any of that guy in the hat posts and reviews

Rhaknar

someguyinahat defense force is my new favorite thing

Atelier games aren't long but! they are as long as you are interested in exploring alchemy, I for example am at 80 hours in Sophie and I'm not done yet. Then again alchemy in this one is very complex, usually the playtime is split between hunting materials and doing alchemy, in this game alchemy takes much more time than gathering ingredients, because you have so many factors and variables: different starting boards with different nodes, different sizes of materials, different elemental properties to consider, and quality, and effects and traits, add this all to multiple cauldrons with different properties, no time in the world is enough.
Then again if you don't go out of you way exploring that and perfecting items you probably can be done in 40 hours or so, maybe even less, although you probably will have to play on easy if you ignore alchemy, not sure how really easy it is, I haven't tried. And yet again why anybody even consider ignoring alchemy?

well I got 25 hours out of Nights of Azure when the average is 15 so, that doesnt bode well for my time with Atelier >_>

Arthea

Energy Balance is the most evil math game ever created, I decided to finish some unfinished games before starting new ones... I'm not sure I can finish this one. It wouldn't be a problem if you can save a level and work on it over time, but you can't! how evil is that?

edited: according to screenshots on the store page, I'm in the middle of this game, sigh

For all the VN doubters I'd recommend to wait for 999 and play it. Does it have a release date yet?

I dunno what's to doubt anymore, we have Higurashi, Umineko, Danganronpa, Steins Gate, etc. most of the best VNs are on steam and there are plenty good less famous, like Long Live the Queen.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
See title, I will update when it's fixed.

Last update ~10PM eastern with:

YES THANK YOU 12 HOURS OF DOWNTIME

If it's not up during the day tomorrow I can turn giveaways back on, but they'll be missing past records (i.e. new giveaways and claims will work, but you won't be able to check your history or see unclaimed stuff or whatever)

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

Trash.Why even bother linking shit like that.

Hidden Object games get HOGs and all AoSes get is MOBAs. It seems kind of unfair, really.
Unlike in Persona 3 where they develop along with plot progression, the personal struggles of the Persona 4 party members are put into their Social Links. It's a misstep, I think, because instead of the party members actually affect and helping each other pulling through (like Mitsuru-Yukari and Akihiko-Ken do), it feels instead that all of them are too dependent on the super competent MC.

Yup, Swagmaster Yu solves all of life's problems, but I like it a lot. He's preternaturally stoic, immensely powerful, and he'll do ridiculous things to maintain his swag; it's great. It's a nice change from the largely-passive P3 protagonist (at least, feMC) who is de facto leader because... I still don't have a good reason.

I feel like they really leveraged the immense amount of silence the protagonist has in key moments well in P4. Like, "Yu isn't saying anything because this swagmaster always knows what to do!" and a lot of the choices and situations compliment this ridiculous demeanour well. There's a knowingness to how they handle Yu that makes me appreciate it a lot.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
Energy Balance is the most evil math game ever created, I decided to finish some unfinished games before starting new ones... I'm not sure I can finish this one. It wouldn't be a problem if you can save a level and work on it over time, but you can't! how evil is that?

edited: according to screenshots on the store page, I'm in the middle of this game, sigh

I dunno what's to doubt anymore, we have Higurashi, Umineko, Danganronpa, Steins Gate, etc. most of the best VNs are on steam and there are plenty good less famous, like Long Live the Queen.

Energy balance is a false narrative.

I think I made it about halfway through before I gave up. I could solve every line but one every time. I'll never know of the further adventures of Meowie.

Store description said:
Yoku’s Island Express is an open world/metroidvania-style pinball adventure, Seamlessly blending platform navigation with pinball mechanics across a large open world.

Expected to release late this year/early next year.. Looks pretty interesting.

Ludens

Banned
I think I'm almost done with Mankind Divided. I have three main missions left, and I cleared all sides apparently.
Dunno what to think about the game: it's both pretty good and awful.
Pretty good because the gameplay is still great, even if I think there's way too much backtracking compared to HR, graphics are supergood, the mood is awesome...but it's awful because, from a plot side, pretty much nothing happened for now. It feels like the introduction to something, not a proper full game. I really hope SE will give us the second part of the game one day. Yeah, I still have both dlcs to play, but I'm really disliking this SE policy to cut everything into a "series". If Mankind Divided didn't to well enough, it's just because of SE's dumb policies, I'm sure if it was a complete game, it would be one of the best rpgs around.

Pixieking

Banned
I literally cannot remember a single point about Mankind Divided's plot beyond there's an explosion at the start, after the tutorial level. Such a bland story in such an interesting world. By contrast, I don't remember all of Human Revolution's story, but I could tell you more of it than MD's, and I haven't played it since The Missing Link was released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom