• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would sacrifice Crash's entire existence for just one more Mischief Makers game.

Blast from the past! I haven't thought of that game in forever but damn, was it an underrated, killer game.

The 64 had some great games. I should track one down to see if some of them hold up. WinBack, looking at you.

tuxfool

Banned
In terms of golden age of Platformers, what we *desperately* need is somebody to reboot or remaster Croc: Legend of the Gobbos.

Nete

Battle Brothers final update has started to roll in the beta branch.

What’s new?

As this is the final major update, our focus was on general polish, balance and quality of life improvements as much as on the remaining major features. Here’s the shortlist.

Three different ‘Greater Evil’ late game crises for you to get involved in – a war between noble houses, a greenskin invasion and an undead invasion. Each comes with their own set of contracts, events and changes to the world.
The Ancient Dead – an entire faction with new enemies to fight, new lootable weapons and armor, and unique tactics on the battlefield.
A new system for mood and desertion – your men will react to how things are progressing, and it’s your job to keep them content.
Ambitions – set goals for your company to pursue on their way to become legendary.
Obituary – honor the brave men that have fallen under your command.
Retirement – retire from your mercenary company when you’re ready to start a new life, and see how the company and its members fare without you.
A complete overhaul of Ghouls into the new and more challenging Nachzehrer.
New mechanics for morale to make resolve and initiative more important.
11 new contracts.
54 new illustrated events.
2 new music tracks.
70 Steam Achievements.
Lots and lots of smaller improvements, changes and additions.

Steam Trading Cards will be unlocked at a later time.

Note that this update is not compatible with older savegames. You will have to start a new campaign!
What’s still to come?

While this beta version is very close to the final release, there’s still things yet to come over the next few weeks.

Bugfixes
Balancing
More events
A few legendary items hidden across the world
One more music track

http://battlebrothersgame.com/final-update-released-beta-branch/

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Sch1sm, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away 8 Steam keys. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below that corresponds to the game you want. (if you include more than one game, you will be blocked from entering). Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Sch1sm, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- Only GAF members who are NOT junior members are eligible for this giveaway.
- If you are a lurker you are not eligible for this giveaway. You need five or more posts in either the current Steam thread or the previous one to be eligible
- This is a free for all! You can enter for multiple games on the list below. Send an individual PM for each game you'd like to win.
- If you won a game from ModBot in the last day, you are not eligible for this giveaway.
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Chroma Squad -- MB-3B3DCDFE738F0704 - Taken by Ruruja. 2 entrants total.
Day of the Tentacle Remastered - -- MB-087FB167EEA6AA82 - Taken by Vazduh. 1 entrants total.
Mini Metro -- MB-BC210F9601FD7C10 - Taken by Jadax. 7 entrants total.
Nuclear Throne -- MB-61ED6CDCE750A9D0 - Taken by Oreoleo. 11 entrants total.
Super Hexagon -- MB-FA86BF2DC2C6D111
The Stanley Parable -- MB-3A31A3434AD7BAB2
The Swapper -- MB-FF0C767C7A3D72F7 - Taken by Naked Snake. 1 entrants total.
VVVVVV -- MB-243A0F04B2113A21

t1487775875z1.png

Tizoc

In terms of golden age of Platformers, what we *desperately* need is somebody to reboot or remaster Croc: Legend of the Gobbos.
Yeah croc duology have a nice idea but nowadays they auffer from archaic controls for one thing
I still own my cd pc copy of croc 2 :3

Also dragon quest heroes 2 coming to steam by apr. 25th
His one is reportedly better than the first game so ill be getting it day 1 :p

data

All of this Crash talk made me go on the wikipedia page... There have been XBOX crash games? A mario party clone made by Dimps? wot

apparently there's also spyro games on the ps3 and xbox

I feel like that kid who looks up to his parents but as he grew older he saw his parents were just human beings full of sin

Aaron D.

There are several good ones. If you've never played one before, I'd say go with one of the following:

Nice list with some smart picks.

I love the HOG genre. It really fits the bill for a lazy Sunday morning and a cup of coffee.

I've got a large chuck of the Artifex Mundi-published titles, covering the highlights. I think Abyss is my fave, prob. 'cause I like BioShock so much. Also enjoy Nightmares and Enigmatis series.

I'd also add Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can to the list of recommendations. Great mystery with really nice production values. First time since Fargo that I've seen a female lead with a heavy Minnesotan accent (Yeah, you bet 'cha!). :p

Another Total Warhammer update, too; the free content coming on the 28th both have store pages now, for detailed info on them. (CA goes all out on store page descriptions.)

Total War: WARHAMMER - Isabella von Carstein

Beginning play with ownership of Western Sylvania, Isabella may now be chosen to command a Grand Campaign as the leader of the Von Carstein family. In addition, Vlad has been removed from the Vampire Counts faction select screen, and may now also be chosen to lead a Von Carstein campaign.
  • Living legend: Isabella inspires Vampire Heroes in her retinue to unholy feats of combat prowess. Any Vampire Heroes in her retinue gain bonuses to their Melee Attack, Melee Defence and Weapon Damage statistics. Isabella can also field more Vampire heroes than any other Lord.
  • Undying Love: Invigorated by each other's presence, Isabella and Vlad gain bonuses to their melee attack and melee defence characteristics when they appear on the same battlefield.
  • Quest Chain: Isabella may embark on a quest to attain the Blood Chalice of Bathori, her unique wargear item. In battle, this improves the weapon damage and regeneration of nearby allies.
  • Loremaster: as a powerful Vampire Lord in her own right, Isabella wields the Lore of Vampires.
  • Unholy handmaidens: Isabella begins play accompanied by two Vampire Heroes.
Total War: WARHAMMER - Bretonnia

• New playable race for Grand Campaign, with expanded roster for custom and multiplayer battles
  • Free download for all existing Total War: WARHAMMER (including Old World Edition) owners
  • Embark on campaigns as three new Legendary Lords: Louen Leoncoeur (Bretonnia), Alberic (Bordeleaux), and The Fay Enchantress (Carcassonne)
  • Chivalry, Peasant Economy and Knightly Vows impart the flavour of the Bretonnian race through meaningful new gameplay mechanics
  • Summon the legendary Green Knight when the need is dire
  • Comprehensive new Bretonnian army roster
  • Errantry Wars endgame objective pits you against your foes in cataclysmic battle
So altogether it's one new faction, and one new subfaction.

Battle Brothers final update has started to roll in the beta branch.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/final-update-released-beta-branch/

Sounds good. I've heard a lot of good stuff about that game recently.

I'm hoping it has a demo at full release. I've had a difficult time discerning how it really plays. (I guess I could look up some footage of it, but eh.)
Thats... not a good trade.

Not a good trade, merely the best trade.

It's time to shake things up.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Dragon Quest Heroes II releasing on PS4 and Steam on April 25th

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346447

Why is this suddenly so easy SE eh?

and still no Dragon Quest Builders :(

continuing my adventure through short-indie-games-land while I wait for Hollow Knight and dont want to commit to anything big, been playing Dustoff Heli Rescue for the last hour or so and its absolutely fantastic. Basically Choplifter with a minecraft-y art style, Im having a ton of fun. I really like the art style, and even tho you can set the controls to be more complex, I feel like the simpler controls and auto fire that it has by default work much better.

Reverse Crawl and now this have lifted my spirits after the less than stellar indie stuff I had been playing the last few days.

Tonton

I don't think there is any story continuity, but most people say if you play Hong Kong/Dragonfall first Returns will be a letdown because its story and mechanics are not as good.
I wouldn't suggest starting with Hong Kong (which is part 3). Instead, either Returns (part 1) or Dragonfall (part 2). Both have their reasons.

As for Returns, it's the first (of the HBS) series and as a result mechanically the least polished, the story is the least interesting, and the characters are the least memorable. That being said, I feel like it does deserve some credit and respect, because it laid the amazing foundation for the (much) better sequels.

As for Dragonfall (which is the one I started with), it blew my socks off. In hindsight it's better than Returns in literally EVERY single aspect, and then more. So starting with Dragonfall will definitely make the imperfections from Returns very obvious, if you decide to play Returns later down the line.

So, I'd say start with Returns. But the VERY SECOND you feel the slightest fatigue or lack of interest, stop with it and start Dragonfall.

This is very true. The stories have nothing to do with each other (aside from some minor easter eggs), but mechanically there are some differences (notably polish and overall gameplay improvements).
Hmm I think I might still give Hong Kong a go first, if I like it I'll get the others

Eschalon series
Balrum
Avadon series

Off the top of my head, all of these have that classic crpg feel but aren't overly complex and are quite forgiving for new players.
Nice, will look into these, thanks

I run KOTOR 2 every other year, this year is my off year but I highly recommend trying the games out (the second's writing is much better but you should still play the first).
Yeah I already got the first one from that star war bundle, so planning on tackling it eventually

Dragon Quest Heroes II releasing on PS4 and Steam on April 25th

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1346447

Why is this suddenly so easy SE eh?
Where's Builders tho

isn't that just Minecraft in DQ world? Why you all want it why you should be asking for a proper DQ game?
I want 8 on Steam, ngl

--

I'm in one of those phases where I just keep hoping from game to game and can't keep with one, I hope this will end soon argh

Arthea

A day one release on PC announced months in advance? By Square Enix? Am I dreaming?

it's not SE game tbh, it's KT game and they release pretty much everything on steam, well, not everything but a lot. SE publishes it on steam because they had such an agreement with KT, I think.
And moreover Sony probably doesn't care about it either

Battlechili

Banned
it's not SE game tbh, it's KT game and they release pretty much everything on steam, well, not everything but a lot. SE publishes it on steam because they had such an agreement with KT, I think.
And moreover Sony probably doesn't care about it either
True, its just DQ Heroes 1 was release a month or so after the PS4 version and was all of a sudden, with no real announcements

Nete

Sounds good. I've heard a lot of good stuff about that game recently.

I'm hoping it has a demo at full release. I've had a difficult time discerning how it really plays. (I guess I could look up some footage of it, but eh.)

There's actually a demo of the combat system, although is quite old (2014) and it has changed a lot. Still, it can give you an idea of what will you do most of the time, and how brutal the game is.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/downloads/

The non-battle part has a similar feeling to Mount & Blade but in a smaller scale (just a dozen mercenary band, you can't become a noble or own a castle, and so).

Coreda

I wish someone made this for Youtube but I can watch the videos in other tabs, like the picture-in-picture function on tablets.

Using the new Opera this is possible by combining the Youtube Link Title userscript with the browser's native Video pop out feature which displays a popup above the browser window itself. Opera also shares compatibility with existing Chromium extensions.

operablink-videopopuppxogb.jpg

There's probably some Chrome/Firefox addon which can provide the same functionality that could be similarly used in conjunction.

Lomax

What's SteamGAFs verdict on Gurumin? It's the only Falcom game on Steam/GOG where I'm uncertain if it's worth it even if it is Falcom.

I enjoyed it a lot, it's got a lot of charm and was fun to play through. If you've got it it's definitely worth giving a shot.

Anustart

So I gifted a friend Rogue Legacy and Downwell today for his birthday. What should I do if he doesn't like them? Immediately unfriend on steam seems appropriate?

Kudo

What's SteamGAFs verdict on Gurumin? It's the only Falcom game on Steam/GOG where I'm uncertain if it's worth it even if it is Falcom.

One of my favourites, I liked it as much as I liked Ys games, lot of similarities between them.
If you like the visual style, go for it.

Something to note is 1080p/30fps lock on the PC port.

I can get not liking Rogue Legacy. The reason it's enjoyable is 90% presentation, with the actual gameplay, balance, and flow being mediocre-to-bad. (I want to say it came out around the time when a lot of roguelikes were still very primitive graphically which gave it this huge "wow factor." The presentation is really superb.)

In terms of roguelikes, there's so much better stuff out there.
There's actually a demo of the combat system, although is quite old (2014) and it has changed a lot. Still, it can give you an idea of what will you do most of the time, and how brutal the game is.

http://battlebrothersgame.com/downloads/

The non-battle part has a similar feeling to Mount & Blade but in a smaller scale (just a dozen mercenary band, you can't become a noble or own a castle, and so).

Oh right, I forgot about the M&B-esque angle. I keep thinking it's just a series of battles with no overworld stuff.

Thanks!

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Excellent news on Dragon Quest Heroes II being released on PC day one. I pre-ordered my PS4 copy last year from Best Buy
for $35 when they had their 25 off promo that stacked with GCU
but it's nice to see that people have options. I absolutely loved the first game and am really looking forward to the second one.

isn't that just Minecraft in DQ world? Why you all want it when you should be asking for a proper DQ game?

Dragon Quest Builders was a shining example of what made Dragon Quest great. I don't care much for Minecraft clones, but this game had it's hooks in me from the moment I started playing. It had the nostalgia factor in it's music, enemies, and weapons. It had sub-plots that tied into the first three games. There was some "building" (Minecraft-y stuff) in the game obviously, but in every instance it's required you're given a template to build to.

Builders was a solid spin-off worthy of the name.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
names bundle something something Reverie

doesnt have Momodora Reverie

fuck you indiegala

Using the new Opera this is possible by combining the Youtube Link Title userscript with the browser's native Video pop out feature which displays a popup above the browser window itself. Opera also shares compatibility with existing Chromium extensions.

operablink-videopopuppxogb.jpg

There's probably some Chrome/Firefox addon which can provide the same functionality that could be similarly used in conjunction.
Opera, that's a name I have not heard in a long time.
a6aada8f76ad140ad54e1208e01bf414.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom