• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anteater

if you're poor you can honestly just get one system and call it a day, doubt you have enough time to play all that multiplatform shit honestly

Tizoc

Yakuza 0, Kiwami, 6, Persona 5, Vanquish, Bayonetta, Virtua Fighter 5 FS, Puyo Pop VS Tetris. Heck, a simple one: The upcoming SMT, which will run on Unreal Engine 4 and basically means PC build with a simple click.

Yakuza 1+2 HD
A Virtua FIghter collection
Shinobi+Nightshade duology
Platinum games

A few more to add to the list.

Hektor

In any case, they weren't lacking any choice. Just motivation.

i think you misunderstood me.

I wasn't saying they don't have games to choose from, i was saying if you exclude all the games they're clearly not willing to bring because they would've happened by now if they would've wanted to, there isn't much that wold be left, i.e. it's either their upcoming games or none at all

I wasn't saying they don't have games to choose from, i was saying if you exclude all the games they're clearly not willing to bring because they would've happened by now if they would've wanted to, there isn't much that wold be left, i.e. it's either their upcoming games or none at all

Yeah, I agree. In any case, even if Shenmue HD 1 and 2 is confirmed for PC, it'd just mean, at best, their policy toward PC and japanese games is a back catalog one.

Auraela

Banned
with the shenmue stuff going around id imagine skies is probs being worked on aswell considering they were both being remastered at the same time back in the day after jet set radio

I hate reading the Nier impressions on my Twitter timeline.

I hate all the random end-game spoiler videos for Nier2 on youtube while I'm trying to look for completely unrelated shit.

Like goddamn.

Anyway I've been kind of out of the Steam loop. Been playing a bunch of Darius games for the 30th anniversary, started Sweet Fuse: At Your Side(Otome PSP game), and just finished Ys: Celceta.

Monooboe

My 52 challange isn't going too well haha, I don't know what to do SteamGAF! I've started to find games so damn boring when it comes to story and setting that I haven't played anything really for some time, mostly just been watching mundane french movies about broken relationships haha.

I still hold games as my favorite form of entertainment by a long shot but what does one do when one wants something more "real" and not so fantastical as every game is.

Jawmuncher

My 52 challange isn't going too well haha, I don't know what to do SteamGAF! I've started to find games so damn boring when it comes to story and setting that I haven't played anything really for some time, mostly just been watching mundane french movies about broken relationships haha.

I still hold games as my favorite form of entertainment by a long shot but what does one do when one wants something more "real" and not so fantastical as every game is.

Get out of your comfort zone when it comes to games. You're running into the same issue I have been for awhile. A lot of stuff you're playing is probably too formulaic, or not really unique or innovative. Thus it just feels like you're going through loops.

Parsnip

At this point it seems that Shenmue HD stuff must be in the works, there has been enough rumbling about it before already and now this new rumor, surely something is happening. It would probably make sense for them to clean the games up a bit and put them out before Shenmue 3 is ready.

I hate reading the Nier impressions on my Twitter timeline.

Fucking Squeenix and their asinine PC marketing.

I'm actually kind of glad I have near zero interest in Nier. Haven't played any of the related games and the only platinum game I've played is Revengeance and didn't love it.

Akihiko Yoshida's glorious art is kind of the only thing that draws me towards that game. And 2B's running animation is godlike.

Tizoc

Here is my suggestion- Look up all PnC/Adventure style games you have and put them in a category (say PnC) and play those. PnC games are easy and much of the older games in the genre are short so they can help in your 52 game challenge.

gelf

Thing is 3 years ago you could have classed Valkyria Chronicles as one of those games that obviously wasn't gonna come either but out of the blue it did and was a huge success. As someone who could name dozens of games he'd like ported it's depressing they never followed that up.

Monooboe

Get out of your comfort zone when it comes to games. You're running into the same issue I have been for awhile. A lot of stuff you're playing is probably too formulaic, or not really unique or innovative. Thus it just feels like you're going through loops.

Yeah my go to games are usually open world and rpgs but I can't remember the last time was that I actually got invested in the story and immersed myself in the world. I mostly just used those as long games where I just could go and check off quest boxes and collectables.

I have an intense restlessness when playing linear games but I did try and play the new COD but it feels like torture haha, also it falls in the same trap with a story that I just can't connect with.

Damn I think I've become too old.

Here is my suggestion- Look up all PnC/Adventure style games you have and put them in a category (say PnC) and play those. PnC games are easy and much of the older games in the genre are short so they can help in your 52 game challenge.

Ah yeah I look at what I had but they all seem to have the same problem with having game worlds and stories that aren't really grounded. I have a few that I will try though, I have high hopes for 80 Days.

Nillansan

The thing is, the trend right now regarding PC and Japanese support from SEGA is the last meaningful effort was 2 years and a half ago...

If the Shenmue Collection is indeed what Sega of Europe has lined up for PC next, then that could explain the prolonged turnaround time. I know that you are specifically referring to their Japanese back-catalog here, but I wouldn't completely dismiss Sonic Lost World, no, it's not what the majority wanted, but it was still considered as a part of their somewhat newly adopted porting effort. Also, I loved the fact that they went back and updated the collections of Sega Classics.

It's not a "single incident". It's a "Fuck You" as an answer to Valkyria Chronicles success two years ago. As an answer to the recent shift from nearly every japanese publishers to Steam. SEGA/Atlus is, I think, the last ones to not release Japanese games on Steam. Maybe Level-5 even though Ni no Kuni 2 is coming to PC but is published by Bamco.

But it is a single incident, as I stated earlier, at this time Valkyria Revolution is being handled by Sega of Japan and probably to some extent Sega of America, they seem to be occupied with consoles first and foremost. The PC side of things is mostly handled by Sega of Europe and any console releases that they might want to port has to go through the Japanese branch and unfortunately they seem to be stuck in their ways.

Ascheroth

Everytime I don't know what to play I default back to some Ys game, doing either a boss rush or starting a higher difficulty playthrough I hadn't done yet.

Can't say I'd care very much if they announced Shenmue PC ports. Especially since afterwards I'd be thinking "I wonder how many years until their next PC port is announced."

With Koei, Namco, Falcom, Spike Chunsoft, and other Japanese devs out doing SEGA with timely PC ports, I can't really find myself caring about their late ports.

dex3108

Man do i love Dishonored 2. I spent 3 and a half hours on Mission 3 alone. Bethesda is absolute king of single-player FPS games these days. It really helps that game has one of the best art directions in recent history.

32730270260_315ca0c240_o.png
33070876216_5032714021_o.png
33112671755_174de75e16_o.png
33112582245_80c40749e8_o.png
32956241462_b86dd37a1f_o.png
32656427330_543b7a7449_o.png
32985758811_5d90d877b6_o.png

ezodagrom

If the Shenmue Collection is indeed what Sega of Europe has lined up for PC next, then that could explain the prolonged turnaround time. I know that you are specifically referring to their Japanese back-catalog here, but I wouldn't completely dismiss Sonic Lost World, no, it's not what the majority wanted, but it was still considered as a part of their somewhat newly adopted porting effort. Also, I loved the fact that they went back and updated the collections of Sega Classics.
This.
Ports/remasters of Shenmue 1 and 2 are likely to cause all sorts of problems, especially with licenses and such (games had licensed logos in-game, right?), so this could explain why we haven't gotten anything other than teases.

But it is a single incident, as I stated early, at this time Valkyria Revolution is being handled by Sega of Japan and probably to some extent Sega of America, they seem to be occupied with consoles first and foremost. The PC side of things is mostly handled by Sega of Europe and any console releases that they might want to port has to go through the Japanese branch and unfortunately they seem to be stuck in their ways.
The western version was announced by SEGA of America/Atlus too, right?
They seem to be a bit rather anti-PC (especially Atlus' side), so that would explain the lack of a PC version announcement. If a PC version happens, it'll come from SEGA Europe, and based on past PC ports, an announcement would be unlikely until shortly before a possible PC release happens (weeks to a month)...

Nillansan

The western version was announced by SEGA of America/Atlus too, right? They seem to be a bit rather anti-PC (especially Atlus' side), so that would explain the lack of a PC version announcement. If a PC version happens, it'll come from SEGA Europe.

Exactly. That's what I was trying to get at.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
This is a scheduled automated repost on behalf of Anno, who is running this raffle.

ModBot said:
I am giving away a Steam key. To enter this giveaway, send a PM to ModBot with any subject line. In the body, copy and paste the entire line from the message below containing the game you want to enter for. Confused? Watch this GIF tutorial or ask for help.
Want to make your own ModBot giveaway? Click here for a quick tutorial thread. Please give generously.

ModBot Basics:
- This giveaway has a manual blocklist. The giver has identified members who abuse giveaways and restricted them from participating.
- I really appreciate thank you messages, but please send them to me (Anno, not ModBot!) via PM instead of in thread.
- Do not trade keys you win off-site to enrich yourself. Don't try to claim games you have no interest in collecting or playing. Don't claim games to give them to friends off-site.
- If the key is already taken you will not receive a reply. Replies may take a minute or two.

Rules for this Giveaway:
- This giveaway is a raffle. The winners will be selected by random draw 3 hours after the draw was created. Any games not claimed after that point will be given away first come first serve.

Hollow Knight -- MB-D889DC50C96D957C - Taken by gelf. 93 entrants total.

t1488056857z1.png

KenOD

a kinder, gentler sort of Scrooge
header.jpg

This is an okay game. I played through it and was entertained enough to see all the weapons and curious as to what the bosses would all be, but at the same time felt the game was utterly too easy as it's a game you can just stand still to level up weapons and eventually regenerate health and thus can't lose unless you pay no attention to what you are doing.

It's a game where the weapons are varied and there is some strategy to each one you use, but it's also a game where if you try to rush it and don't level up the weapons it becomes a tedious wearing down of enemies due to low damage or enemy pathing programming (especially two flying bosses).

It's a title where looking around for gold to get upgrades or hidden objects for final weapon versions unlock is good, but not particularly memorable or exciting, still being an extension of what the previous Cally titles were on mobile for level design and simple platforming layouts.

It's a game where I found myself grinding to level up health and weapons or to get gold, but it didn't frustrate me like other games in part because I didn't have to focus too much on the game (it's an easy title). So perhaps it was relaxing in a way to grind while I was also watching a drama on Netflix.

I honestly won't recommend this to anyone, especially if you thought Rogue Legacy was not a great game as this will be even more of the negatives (though no changing stage layouts) you found with it, but I can't call it a bad game either. Gifted to me as a friend and I got about a dozen hours of it with casual play, I didn't hate it, I just didn't like it much either. It's just okay and won't bother you much if you just want to beat a game.

But it is a single incident, as I stated earlier, at this time Valkyria Revolution is being handled by Sega of Japan and probably to some extent Sega of America, they seem to be occupied with consoles first and foremost. The PC side of things is mostly handled by Sega of Europe and any console releases that they might want to port has to go through the Japanese branch and unfortunately they seem to be stuck in their ways.

Yes, I would dismiss Sonic Lost World because it's a game no one asked for. You know WHAT people asked for and SEGA knew too. And even then, we also know it made no sense to release this game, which wasn't even critically well received.
Going back and updating the collections of Sega Classic also is a small effort, even if appreciated. But definitely not noteworthy.

As I said, it's not an "incident". It basically shows where their priority is. Whatever the reason is, the fact is Sega as a whole doesn't care about PC for Japanese content. Otherwise, they'd have a big shift in term of porting content. Think of it: In West, they decided to add one platform: Xbox One. The weakest platform for japanese games in term of sales, one which never received a single Valkyria game. But not PC, the platform which received a Valkyria game which sold a lot and is a proven platform for sales of Japanese games.

If the Shenmue collection is indeed what Sega Europe has been doing, it'll further prove the point: It's a small initiative, not a big push, which only concerns back catalog.

Knurek

100% done with Steins;Gate, took 43 hours, 43 minutes.

Such a pity 5pb doesn't want to bring the fandisks outside of Japan. Oh well, there's fan TL for both of them. Will probably read them as well, just need something... shorter for now.

Nzyme32

Speaking of Mass Effect, I'm just downloading the Steam version and gonna play through it for the first time in a decade. Going to eventually get to Mass Effect 3 (which I've never played) at which point there will probably have been a sale for a cheap version of the deluxe edition or the standard version + dlc. Probably be a few years till I bother with Andromeda though, as the prices are rather stupid imo and no doubt there will be several DLCs to come, so might as well wait for a GOTY edition or some such collection

ezodagrom

Yes, I would dismiss Sonic Lost World because it's a game no one asked for. You know WHAT people asked for and SEGA knew too. And even then, we also know it made no sense to release this game, which wasn't even critically well received.
Going back and updating the collections of Sega Classic also is a small effort, even if appreciated. But definitely not noteworthy.

As I said, it's not an "incident". It basically shows where their priority is. Whatever the reason is, the fact is Sega as a whole doesn't care about PC for Japanese content. Otherwise, they'd have a big shift in term of porting content. Think of it: In West, they decided to add one platform: Xbox One. The weakest platform for japanese games in term of sales, one which never received a single Valkyria game. But not PC, the platform which received a Valkyria game which sold a lot and is a proven platform for sales of Japanese games.

If the Shenmue collection is indeed what Sega Europe has been doing, it'll further prove the point: It's a small initiative, not a big push, which only concerns back catalog.
Sega America and Sega Japan don't care, so I guess Sega Europe have to work with what they can.
Sonic Lost World is still a game that they released, and Sonic Mania and Project 2017 also exist, even if they're games you don't care about, they're still console to PC ports.

100% done with Steins;Gate, took 43 hours, 43 minutes.

Such a pity 5pb doesn't want to bring the fandisks outside of Japan. Oh well, there's fan TL for both of them. Will probably read them as well, just need something... shorter for now.

On to SG;0? :p Not shorter but is a great companion piece to the original, I thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom