• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

STEAM | February 2017 - Giveaways are back

Status
Not open for further replies.

iiicon

I bought Shovel Knight on Steam this week to have it on a forward compatible platform (I already owned and beat it on Wii U), and boy, what a pure, unadulterated expression of joy that game still is. it's about as perfect a 2d platformer can get.

- intelligent, modular approach to difficulty that allows the player to tune the game to their liking. destruction of checkpoints offer risk/reward, multiple types of ichor to help you in a variety of ways if you need it, relics are helpful but inessential, health/magic buffs are there if you need it
- each level presents a new set of challenges. new gimmicks are introduced consequence free at first but the difficulty quickly ramps up with a variety of different challenges, like enemy placement, silhouetted segments, or other obstructions.
- that adorable propeller rat
- incredible attention to detail for artwork, music, characters. everything is so charming. the way NPCs dance when they have something to tell you. the merchant is named Chester, and he goes out in the field to find hidden chests before you do to sell them at a marked up price. characters say just enough to impress upon you general traits, but can still surprise you when you revisit them in new campaigns, like Plague Knight's
- level design that encourages player experimentation. you are always rewarded for testing your ability to reach seemingly unreachable places, and that feels great.
- great challenge mode and in-game achievement tracking provide more reasons to explore the world after you beat it once.
- did I mention the propeller rat

Really excited for the new campaign next month.

I feel like the Dishonored series would be better as open world. Not huge, like Arkham City size.

I think that's antithetical to what makes those games so good. Dishonored excels in environmental storytelling, and elaborately designed, open-ended levels. I wouldn't be opposed to a larger hub area like the Deus Ex games, however.

Sega America and Sega Japan don't care, so I guess Sega Europe have to work with what they can.
Sonic Lost World is still a game that they released, and Sonic Mania and Project 2017 also exist, even if they're games you don't care about, they're still console to PC ports.

Sonic Mania and 2017 are getting released everywhere. Skipping PC would make no sense AT ALL. Sonic is an IP that goes everywhere. Not only Lost World was an okay game, it was still a Sonic game, so this one coming to PC is as special as getting a LEGO game on PC.

Why is anyone expecting ports from Sega still? Sonic will obviously come out on Steam, but the problem is getting something from them that isn't Sonic or some boring RTS game.

Valkyria was three years ago. We would have got something else by now.

Knurek

On to SG;0? :p Not shorter but is a great companion piece to the original, I thought.

I really want to play Hiyoku Renri no Darling, Linear Bounded Phenogram and Henikuukan no Octet before SG;0.

Anyone with a dual screen setup here? Is there an easy way to put one of them to sleep? I can easily put both using nircmd, but I haven't had any luck with just a single one... :\

Damn it feels good to have the DLC done in RE7. I thought Nightmare/Jack's 55th were enjoyable Mercs-lite modes, Daughters/Bedroom were good for a one time playthrough, but man, Ethan Must Die was BRUTAL. I got really lucky with some RNG toward the end but took about 20 runs to get there, oof.

UjHGSna.png

Help me SteamGAF:

Pillars of Eternity is currently 60% off, that is the biggest sale i have personally seen for this one ( i may have missed a bigger one not sure) but the thing is: I really want it, but don't have time to play it right NOW though :(

Usually i'd wait around for the next sale but as this particular game is rarely on sale, what are the chances it will go for 75% or higher soonish?

Lomax

Help me SteamGAF:

Pillars of Eternity is currently 60% off, that is the biggest sale i have personally seen for this one ( i may have missed a bigger one not sure) but the thing is: I really want it, but don't have time to play it right NOW though :(

Usually i'd wait around for the next sale but as this particular game is rarely on sale, what are the chances it will go for 75% or higher soonish?

It's very rare that once a game reaches a sale point it won't continue to be discounted to that point. Yes, we're in a bit of the sale doldrums right now (the next big one isn't until June), but sites like Humble Bundle have sales all the time as well. If you won't play it now, don't buy it; there are always more sales and it will always get cheaper over time. Eventually it will be 75% off and probably get a base price drop, at some point it will probably be $5 on sale and bundled. Buy at the point you'll play it or it's worth it to you regardless of future price drops; wait otherwise.

Nillansan

If the Shenmue collection is indeed what Sega Europe has been doing, it'll further prove the point: It's a small initiative, not a big push, which only concerns back catalog.

I don't recall anyone saying that they were expecting a big company-wide push. Folks were expecting a port on an annual basis, but hoping for something more frequent. This is clearly an initiative that is driven by Sega of Europe with a seemingly limited budget and possibly an imposed restriction in terms what they are allowed to port. If all branches of Sega collectively backed the porting initiative and publicly stated so, I can understand the disappointment, but that hasn't been the case.

I don't recall anyone saying that they were expecting a big company-wide push. Folks were expecting a port on an annual basis, but hoping for something more frequent. This is clearly an initiative that is driven by Sega of Europe with a seemingly limited budget and possibly an imposed restriction in terms what they are allowed to port. If all branches of Sega collectively backed the porting initiative and publicly stated so, I can understand the disappointment, but that hasn't been the case.

Yeah, at the very least, people expected a port a year of a game that people asked for. It didn't happened for 2 years.

It's very rare that once a game reaches a sale point it won't continue to be discounted to that point. Yes, we're in a bit of the sale doldrums right now (the next big one isn't until June), but sites like Humble Bundle have sales all the time as well. If you won't play it now, don't buy it; there are always more sales and it will always get cheaper over time. Eventually it will be 75% off and probably get a base price drop, at some point it will probably be $5 on sale and bundled. Buy at the point you'll play it or it's worth it to you regardless of future price drops; wait otherwise.

Sigh, you convinced me, thanks! I'll wait i guess...

Durante

It seems my Samsung 840 Evo SSD just failed.

I don't think I've lost anything critical (if it was critical it would be on github, stored with a cloud service provider, or at least backed up on multiple disks), but I've certainly lost many game saves, a lot of screenshots, and recent local changes to all my open source projects that I hadn't pushed to Github. (The latter is mostly relevant for GeDoSaTo, where I had quite a few local changes which I had not merged into master and pushed yet)

Sucks. Consider this a reminder that SSDs do fail.

Lanrutcon

Guys, why aren't people talking about Pixel Privateers?

Lovely pixel art, team building, stat allocation, builds, Diablo like loot, ship construction, research trees, and once you get passed the initial few levels shit starts getting challenging.

Plus it has multiplayer.

Arthea

Sega who?
seriously, we aren't getting any more Sega ports, VC was a fluke of sorts, if those rumours about that announcement were true. Sega simply is not interested, doesn't have manpower for that and don't wanna outsource and they make enough money for their needs as it is, or so it would seem.

r3n4ud

It seems my Samsung 840 Evo SSD jut failed.

I don't think I've lost anything critical (if it was critical it would be on github, stored with a cloud service provider, or at least backed up on multiple disks), but I've certainly lost many game saves, a lot of screenshots, and recent local changes to all my open source projects that I hadn't pushed to Github. (The latter is mostly relevant for GeDoSaTo, where I had quite a few local changes which I had not merged into master and pushed yet)

Shit :(

I better back my stuff up. Been using same ssd for 7 years now and scared she'll blow.

enbred

Banned
When SSDs fail it's an "all or nothing" sudden event, right? Unlike HDDs where they can start to gradually fail and sometimes you can get stuff out of them before they completely fail.

Kiru

:/
I cloned my 250GB 840 EVO over to a 500GB 850 EVO a month ago. Using the 840 EVO in my crappy NAS now, to speed up booting and whatnot. I wonder how much that firmware factored in. I think their fix just moved all files around every now and then to maintain good speed, doesn't sound healthy for SSDs ...

Accoun

So, yeah. Hexcells was pretty good indeed. I'm LTTP and just finished (100%'d) it a moment ago.
Actually, a few times I was REALLY annoyed, but that was more because I'm too used to minesweeper controls and kept ruining my plays than because of the game itself. Probably should have changed that.

shockdude

Oof that sucks. Especially considering the Samsung 840 Evo hasn't even been out for 4 years.

... it looks like the 840 Evo has a 3-year limited warranty. You should look into that if it applies.

Arulan

I had a 850 Pro fail in its first month, but I suppose first-month failures are what you'd largely expect outside of long-life ones.

So I tried installing the Tales of Symphonia Fix.

Doesn't work. Tells me I need to install both versions of microsoft visual c++ 2015 something or other.

So I tried installing that.

Doesn't work. The installation bar goes to the very end, says "Processing" and then stops there.

Check some troubleshooting.

Says I should have all my windows updates installed.

But my windows updates haven't managed to work since April. There are like 84 in the queue and every time I try, if it works at all, I'll get to download like 3.

Guess I'll have to play it without mods...

Knurek

Our IT firm doesn't like SSDs - when I mention I'd like to have my work computers upgraded with even a small boot one, they said that if a HDD fails, there's usually a way to rescue most of data, while when an SSD fails, you're screwed.

Durante

I had a 850 Pro fail in its first month, but I suppose first-month failures are what you'd largely expect outside of long-life ones.
In a way, having a HDD or SSD fail quickly is much nicer than having it fail late.

Our IT firm doesn't like SSDs - when I mention I'd like to have my work computers upgraded with even a small boot one, they said that if a HDD fails, there's usually a way to rescue most of data, while when an SSD fails, you're screwed.
Well, I think there are companies who specialize in this that can rescue mostly anything not physically destroyed, but the cost of that makes it not worth it for recovering saves, screenshots, and a few hours (ok, maybe more than a few) of work on open source projects.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
It seems Song of the Deep is a success?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1347626

Good for Insomniac! (and proof that selling 10.000 units on Steam could be considered a success)

"For the curious, the game has sold 121,410 ± 10,331 copies on Steam. We don't have any other sales numbers."

is that before or after the freedom bundle? because thats like 150k units right there or however many it sold.

anyway, finally put some solid time in Hollow Knight (5 hours) and its everything I expected, if not more. Its the game I want / need Death's Gambit and Eitr to be, quality wise at least. It is also greatly embarassing most dev/publishers when it comes to pricing, because if there ever was a game that would easily justify the now standard $20 price tag for indies its this one, and yet its $15. Meanwhile, most half assed 4 hour indie games out there are $20 or more.

Durante

I use that Intel SSD Toolbox utility. It has some drive test thingies and shows estimated lifetime remaining. I figure it is all placebo bullshit though.
Well, for my SSD it showed no abnormalities in any S.M.A.R.T. metrics at all, and then it was simply gone from one second to the next.

Etrigan

Neo Member
Guys, why aren't people talking about Pixel Privateers?

Lovely pixel art, team building, stat allocation, builds, Diablo like loot, ship construction, research trees, and once you get passed the initial few levels shit starts getting challenging.

Plus it has multiplayer.

Some are reluctant in giving the devs another chance at another game due to the past experience of "Pixel Piracy". The PR frontman, "Alex" also stated multiple times eluding to "DEEP loyal discounts for past owners of "Pixel Piracy" for their new game," but when others confronted the devs, there wasn't much of an answer given.

Check the steam forums on what others have said about the game and decide for yourself.

Nzyme32

Mass Effect 1 has not aged gracefully, at least for the PC port which is pretty poop by today's standards. Minimising the game will cause all the graphics to get set to their lowest no matter what. Story, or rather dialogue is also rather crap as ever, with exposition handled about as poorly as I remember, in a very video-gamey way of doing so point blank at the closest opportunity.

If memory serves I remember liking the game after the halfway mark, and then I enjoyed ME2 a whole lot more.

JarrodL

It seems my Samsung 840 Evo SSD just failed.

How long did it last? I have 840 as well, use it as my OS and performance-greedy games drive.

Lomax

The Witness is pretty cool, but it seems to suffer just like Fez did, it lets those of us prone to exploring wander way too far off into areas you're clearly not supposed to be yet, which seems like it's going to result in a lot of back tracking. I like the logic puzzles and the emergent instruction, but I really don't want to spend 90% of my time wandering lost looking for the place I was supposed to go to learn the next trick.

Whew! Took an hour and a half, but my computer finally choked down all the updates and I got the mod in. This better be worth it...

The ultimate wish fulfilment power fantasy. Become a jester of the court.

I'm all for the argument that gameplay is more important than graphics, but can these indie developers who use pixel art ... I dunno ... TRY? Especially in their sprites? Slain did a great job. Stardew Valley was good in its style. But every time I see a new indie metroidvania, it's like they all remembered how good Symphony of the Night looked and they shouldn't bother to compete with it, even 20 years later.

ezodagrom

Valkyria was three years ago. We would have got something else by now.
2 years and 3 months ago*

Yeah, at the very least, people expected a port a year of a game that people asked for. It didn't happened for 2 years.
Well, there's always gonna be something some people didn't ask for, maybe on twitter or the sega forums there were people asking for lost world on pc (though I wonder why <-<).
Anyway, assuming the rumours are true, maybe Shenmue 1 + 2 were the ports for last year, but it could be taking longer than expected?

Lanrutcon

Some are reluctant in giving the devs another chance at another game due to the past experience of "Pixel Piracy". The PR frontman, "Alex" also stated multiple times eluding to "DEEP loyal discounts for past owners of "Pixel Piracy" for their new game," but when others confronted the devs, there wasn't much of an answer given.

Check the steam forums on what others have said about the game and decide for yourself.

Ah. Haven't played Pixel Piracy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom